• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bebpo is crazy, 360 has risen to the heavens and MC Data is out for the week

Mashing

Well, these initial numbers show that DS success may not translate to Wii success (I'm talking about DS franchises not selling well on their non-handheld systems).

Still, they non gaming crowd are going to eat this system up. That alone might be enough to beat Sony in Japan.

You know, Wii sports is like, an actual game. Your gripe should be "mini-games outselling real games".

Please learn how to troll the Wii better.

xaosslug

Jonnyram said:
nongames?

that threw me as well. That term gets shuttled around way too much, and is usually wrong in its usage. I mean when did Sports Games become "non-games"? :lol

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
There's a wiimote shortage in Japan like everywhere else isn't there?

I think a lot of the Wii Play sales are for an extra remote for Wii Sports. Wii Sports deserves those sales anyway, far better than I was expecting.

Terrell

The low sales of 3rd-party games aren't surprising to me. Retailers have to put in shipment number requests... if they anticipate low sales of 3rd-party games, they'll order less. For all we know, this could be indicative of retailers having no faith in 3rd-party game sales and these numbers could reflect a sell-out of certain games due to a lack of retail orders. But who knows, there's a lot of factors to the Japanese game market that we simply can't factor in based on the sales numbers alone. At least with the PS3, we can attest SOME of the poor sales to the low number of game software available on shelves. But with Wii, we have no definitive evidence of that yet.

dirtmonkey37

flinging feces ---->
Is Nintendo suffering financially in any way with this new console?

They're profiting on the game
Royalty fees on all the games (and they make a bunch more money on their own published games)
Profiting on all the accessories.
The console R&D, aside from the controller was pretty........meh.

So there's no way Nintendo will ever lose money on this console.

Hero

Bebpo said:
So we have learned that in Japan:

-PS3 3rd party sales are shit
-Wii 3rd party sales are shit
-X360 3rd party sales are ok considering the userbase
-DS 3rd party sales are ok not considering the userbase, shit if considering it
-PS2 sales are ok not considering the userbase, shit if considering it
-PSP 3rd party sales are just shit

So basically 3rd parties are all screwed!

But!

If Blue Dragon makes the X360 takes off this week in Japan.

X360 becomes the #1 system of choice for 3rd parties? O_O Wow, never would have expected these turn of events. Hopefully at least the PS3 gets ports of them all :p

Your logic is astounding. Even if Blue Dragon sold to 100% of the Xbox 360 install base in Japan, what would that amount to? 100,000?

Stealth edit:

Regarding the sales themselves, this is for two days. Jeez.

Would I like Zelda to sell with every Wii console? Absolutely. But if the DS trend continues, Wii Sports and Wii Play will sell an asburd amount of software equivalent to Brain Age and Nintendogs.

Ashodin

_leech_ said:
Zelda outsold by Wii Sports? :/
200px-VaderFather.jpg

Search your feelings. YOU KNOW IT TO BE TRUE

Rushmore

xaosslug said:
that threw me as well. That term gets shuttled around way too much, and is usually wrong in its usage. I mean when did Sports Games become "non-games"? :lol

Around the same time when people started saying "literally" in reference to something that never happened.

Example: I just had sex with my girlfriend and she is literally in the corner shivering from aftershockgasms.

AniHawk

Razoric said:
zelda still sold 140k games in 2 days.... whats with all the bitching?

Zelda games dont have crazy legs like Mario games do. TP will probably sell 400k-500k and die.

AND IT'S ALL YOUR FAULT!

dirtmonkey37 said:
Is Nintendo suffering financially in any way with this new console?

They're profiting on the game
Royalty fees on all the games (and they make a bunch more money on their own published games)
Profiting on all the accessories.
The console R&D, aside from the controller was pretty........meh.

So there's no way Nintendo will ever lose money on this console.

Advertising and limited R&D is basically their only cost.

duckroll

Hero said:
Your logic is astounding. Even if Blue Dragon sold to 100% of the Xbox 360 install base in Japan, what would that amount to? 100,000?

The point is not about Blue Dragon selling just TO the installed base but EXPANDING it significantly. The bundle is REALLY cheap and the game is getting tons of exposure in Japan.

Mashing

DCharlie said:
... before i respond, is this sacrasm or for real?

You know, I really don't know.... I went back and read what I posted and it doesn't make much sense. Considering these are only sales for two days which is not nearly enough time to make an assement.

Bebpo

Banned
DCharlie said:
... before i respond, is this sacrasm or for real?

Uhhh....Wii play doesn't count because if you're buying a 2nd controller you may as well get it. So you have 1 game doing fairly well and that's barely selling to over 50% of the people buying the hardware. Meanwhile you have Zelda doing under 50% and the rest of the games doing complete shit.

You think this a DS level of success?

Think of it this way. With 80k hardware, PS3 software sales were around 9k-25k. With 350k hardware 3/4ths of the games are doing <9k.

Ashodin

AniHawk said:
Zelda games dont have crazy legs like Mario games do. TP will probably sell 400k-500k and die.

AND IT'S ALL YOUR FAULT!
IT'S ALL THE WORLD'S FAULT

ANIHAWK IS GONNA EXPLODE

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Burn06.jpg

sharkie

Campster said:
Again we throw the term around. What makes WiiSports/WiiPlay a "non-game," exactly?

Or, to the point: Can you define for me what a "non-game" is?

You go Campster you get those gameists, they've been objectifying the non-gamers for way too long

duckroll

Bebpo said:
Uhhh....Wii play doesn't count because if you're buying a 2nd controller you may as well get it. So you have 1 game doing fairly well and that's barely selling to over 50% of the people buying the hardware. Meanwhile you have Zelda doing under 50% and the rest of the games doing complete shit.

You think this a DS level of success?

Think of it this way. With 80k hardware, PS3 software sales were around 9k-25k. With 350k hardware 3/4ths of the games are doing <9k.

Actually DS success HAS translated into Wii sucess. The Wii has sold more in the first 2 days than the GC did in the first.... several weeks? Remember, unlike more advanced systems Nintendo is making a profit off EACH AND EVERY Wii sold on top of their el cheapo minigames/nongames/whatever that have TOPPED the charts. It may be disappointing for all gamers, but this is a HUGE success for Nintendo and really exactly what they want.

Amir0x

Banned
GhaleonEB said:
that's been my opinion of Japan for years now (the gaming scene anyways)

I wonder if I visit Japan sometimes, the cultural divide on gaming alone would be so vast my head would melt.

If the DS prooved to us one thing, it's that a lot of Nintendo games have LEGS. I mean, I wouldn't be suprised to see Wario up there for a long time to come, it sure did do well on the NDS overtime.

Bebpo

Banned
Hero said:

For $300, Japanese gamers can get Wii + Zelda

For $300, Japanese gamers can get X360 + Blue Dragon

Going from these early sales, Zelda obviously isn't FF/DQ level of selling power. So what happens if BD is? :O

Next week's sales numbers will be VERY, VERY interesting.

Terrell

_leech_ said:
Zelda outsold by Wii Sports? :/
Well, to be fair, Wii Sports outsold Zelda in the US, as well. :lol

xaosslug said:
Since Nintendo started making them. Remember, Mario Sports titles aren't sports games, either, they're "Mario" games.

EphemeralDream said:
Don't really know what to make of these numbers. Pretty good numbers for Wii Sports and Wii Play but disappointing Zelda and Wario sales. And Trauma Center is a tragedy, same for Monkey Ball. How did the DS version of TC do in Japan? Either way these are only 2 day sales so it's hard to determine their meaning.
Neither of those franchises were big sellers in Japan, they were made for American audiences. If it makes you feel better, I believe Second Opinion outsold its DS counterpart by a fair amount.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Bebpo said:

That's the PSP argument and it is a bit misleading.

The DS has some titles that sell 2 copies and the top game sell millions. The PSP has a lot of games that just sell "shit to middling shit" numbers and fewer on the extremes.

The only problem I see here is that a lot of GOOD (not shit) games got bombed.

Jammy

Banned
Bebpo said:
So we have learned that in Japan:

-PS3 3rd party sales are shit
-Wii 3rd party sales are shit
-X360 3rd party sales are ok considering the userbase
-DS 3rd party sales are ok not considering the userbase, shit if considering it
-PS2 sales are ok not considering the userbase, shit if considering it
-PSP 3rd party sales are just shit

So basically 3rd parties are all screwed!

But!

If Blue Dragon makes the X360 takes off this week in Japan.

X360 becomes the #1 system of choice for 3rd parties? O_O Wow, never would have expected these turn of events. Hopefully at least the PS3 gets ports of them all :p

I think you're being hasty here. Wii software sales right now are heavily front-loaded in the top four games even with semi-big franchises like Gundam and Tamagotchi also at launch. I'm sure this is because too much came out at once. People aren't going to buy a system and four games at launch. In this case, Zelda's a "duh" and Wii Play I'm sure gets a lot of sales because it comes with an extra controller.

Who knows what will happen at the start of 2007 when the Japanese buy even more games? People already with Zelda and Wii Something will most likely buy your Super Swing Golf or Red Steel.

And again, that last part kind of goes into the "legs" effect that DS has. With Wii getting a lot of non-gamers, I think this can happen pretty easily too.

AniHawk

Bebpo said:
For $300, Japanese gamers can get Wii + Zelda

For $300, Japanese gamers can get X360 + Blue Dragon

Going from these early sales, Zelda obviously isn't FF/DQ level of selling power. So what happens if BD is? :O

Next week's sales numbers will be VERY, VERY interesting.

I heard Blue Dragon can cure cancer. That's easily a couple million right there.

Ashodin

Bebpo said:
I'm scared. What if Japan actually picks up on the 360? Bizarro world total.

Top Bottom