• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bebpo is crazy, 360 has risen to the heavens and MC Data is out for the week

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
xaosslug said:
the question remains, would the tale be the same for NA had Wii Sports not been packed in...? ;p

Wii Sports is a killer-app in it's own way. I know people who have never bought a Nintendo console in their lives, being your typical GTA/Fifa PlayStation crowd, who are now trying to get a Wii on the day of the UK launch after playing it.

Amir0x

Banned
underfooter said:
If the DS prooved to us one thing, it's that a lot of Nintendo games have LEGS. I mean, I wouldn't be suprised to see Wario up there for a long time to come, it sure did do well on the NDS overtime.

The one thing that is true, is that these new radical control schemes require word of mouth at the very least before a DS-like phenomenon. So either way if these games are really the fire Japan needs to think of nothing but Wii, we won't know until a few weeks, if not months. That had to happen for DS.

Bebpo said:
For $300, Japanese gamers can get Wii + Zelda

For $300, Japanese gamers can get X360 + Blue Dragon

Going from these early sales, Zelda obviously isn't FF/DQ level of selling power. So what happens if BD is? :O

Next week's sales numbers will be VERY, VERY interesting.

I think you are putting toooo much hope on Blue Dragon. IF suddenly 360 did this well, it'd be the biggest turn around in gaming history. Not even Blue Dragon could do that.

Error2k4 said:
this is such an ignorant statement.

How is it ignorant? It in fact relies on seeing exactly what they buy week in week out :lol

Looks like Zelda's going the way of the Metroid series in Japan...
Maybe Zelda shouldn't hav launched with the Wii in Japan and instead hav been released during a SW drowt...

xaosslug

Amir0x said:
oh Japan, you lovable sinking ship of disgustingness.

now, now there's still hope... I'm sure that DQ Wii game'll sell shitloads regardless of its quality. Oh wait, is that a good thing? :lol

Deku

Banned
Square2005 said:
Looks like Zelda's going the way of the Metroid series in Japan...

Metroid was never Zelda big in Japan.

xaosslug said:
now, now there's still hope... I'm sure that DQ Wii game'll sell shitloads regardless of its quality. Oh wait, is that a good thing? :lol

It will. Depending on the quantities S-E ships it will be a sellout or an extreme drought.

Amir0x

Banned
xaosslug said:

Like I said before... when Japan's love affair with gimmicks, non-games and squeenix a new age will dawn. Or, a new new age. :lol

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
Amir0x said:
How is it ignorant? It in fact relies on seeing exactly what they buy week in week out :lol
oh boo hoo they are buying a game Amir0x doesnt like.

how's that difference from the US sales of GTA clones and crap?

Amir0x

Banned
Error2k4 said:
oh boo hoo they are buying a game Amir0x doesnt like.

how's that difference from the US sales of GTA clones and crap?

that has nothing to do with what you said. You said what I said was ignorant. It's not, I am very educated on exactly what they buy week in and week out. Naturally, the rest of your point is irrelevant since what I feel about people's gaming taste always relies on what I do and do not like.

Hero

Bebpo said:
Uhhh....Wii play doesn't count because if you're buying a 2nd controller you may as well get it. So you have 1 game doing fairly well and that's barely selling to over 50% of the people buying the hardware. Meanwhile you have Zelda doing under 50% and the rest of the games doing complete shit.

You think this a DS level of success?

Think of it this way. With 80k hardware, PS3 software sales were around 9k-25k. With 350k hardware 3/4ths of the games are doing <9k.

Hey, let me clear this up for you:

With 80k hardware, PS3 software sales were around 9k-25k for the first week. With 350k hardware 3/4ths of the games are doing <9k for the first two days.

I'm not saying I expect all of those games to suddenly sell 50,000 with the rest of the week but you're comparing first week sales of the PS3 to the first 48 hours of the Wii. Let's wait until the full weekly numbers are in before we start analyzing, okay?

duckroll said:
The point is not about Blue Dragon selling just TO the installed base but EXPANDING it significantly. The bundle is REALLY cheap and the game is getting tons of exposure in Japan.

Okay, I'll humor you. Let's say that Blue Dragon DOES suddenly get Japanese gamers excited to the point where they go and buy every single 360+BD bundle. How many do you think that translates to? 100K? So now the grand total of the Xbox 360 is 200,000. It just doubled the Xbox 360 user base in Japan, which is a massive feat that very few games can accomplish. But to think that Blue Dragon is going to suddenly change the Xbox's position in the Japanese market is insane.

xaosslug

Amir0x said:
Like I said before... when Japan's love affair with gimmicks, non-games and squeenix a new age will dawn. Or, a new new age. :lol

if DQ Wii does well enough, i'm seeing some sort of FF:VII spin-off to follow... or remake? :O

temjin

Banned
_leech_ said:
Zelda outsold by Wii Sports? :/
truth-of-max-payne.jpg

Deku

Banned
Amir0x said:
that has nothing to do with what you said. You said what I said was ignorant. It's not, I am very educated on exactly what they buy week in and week out. Naturally, the rest of your point is irrelevant since what I feel about people's gaming taste always relies on what I do and do not like.

I don't think you're ignorant, but I think you have very strong opinions.

I'm not sure if your posts which Error called ignorant are meant for theatrics or if you really mena it. If its for theatrics and to support your persona, there's no point arguing.

If it's heartfelt, Error has a point about your ignorance.

After thinking about it some more, I bet Wii Sports would have had 1/2 the sales of the console in NA if it wasn't a pack in (similar to Japan). I probably wouldn't have bought it and many other hardcore gamers wouldn't have either (even though it turned out to be a great game). So I agree that once word of mouth hits, this game will be tremendous.

Zelda for GC will only be available online in Japan correct?

Ashodin

Amir0x said:
It still doesn't matter - Japan is buying what they want, and what they want is something fast, easy, and simple. If our games start to take that turn (and the big budget games start bombing like this launch data), you're probably going to hate gaming for the next five years.

pilonv1

pol's voice said:
I don't see what all the outcry over Zelda sales is, it sold 140k in two days. That's very good.

A lot of people here had the incorrect assumption it would 1:1 with the console.

AniHawk

Maxrpg said:
It still doesn't matter - Japan is buying what they want, and what they want is something fast, easy, and simple. If our games start to take that turn (and the big budget games start bombing like this launch data), you're probably going to hate gaming for the next five years.

Thank god the MAJORITY isn't.

Filter

Bebpo said:
Going from these early sales, Zelda obviously isn't FF/DQ level of selling power. So what happens if BD is? :O

Oshit you are right! I can totally see that happening!
Look out DragonQuest! Blue Dragon is coming for U!

Odysseus

Banned
Well, more evidence to throw on the "why gaming is dead in Japan" pile.

The only game arguably worth playing at the Wii launch

75% tie-ratio in America
40% tie-ratio in Japan

duckroll

Hero said:
Okay, I'll humor you. Let's say that Blue Dragon DOES suddenly get Japanese gamers excited to the point where they go and buy every single 360+BD bundle. How many do you think that translates to? 100K? So now the grand total of the Xbox 360 is 200,000. It just doubled the Xbox 360 user base in Japan, which is a massive feat that very few games can accomplish. But to think that Blue Dragon is going to suddenly change the Xbox's position in the Japanese market is insane.

The Xbox360 is at 170k in Japan now, the Bundle is going to push AT LEAST 20k next week. If you want to "humor" the discussion, then every single 360+BD bundle sold would be 200k, and the user base would then be 270k. That would mean that the Xbox360 will be the #2 current-gen console in Japan for quite a while, since the PS3 is getting resupplied really slowly and has pretty much no games through Jan in Japan, while the Xbox360 has quite a few big titles. The system will continue to sell, and third party developers will take notice that they're games have a much better chance of selling more units on the 360 than any other console, even with a small user base. Does that make sense?

Deku

Banned
Square2005 said:
Any reason why these figures are so different:

Maybe it sold out on Day 1 and Day 2tracking was basically tracking 0 sales or very little residual sales?

Nintendo said they ship 400k units and by all intents and purposes its all sold, your source tracks 368, MC tracks 350, since we know MC doesn't track the entire market but extrapolates sales data, the difference is probably an inherent error in the equation.

Ashodin

AniHawk said:
Thank god the MAJORITY isn't.
This is different than the US, Anihawk - we have more time on our hands to demand longer games. This might go down the tubes as well as people grow up and have less time and if kids today don't get interested in video games like we did, we could see games doing the same thing.

Japan is different - everyone's ALWAYS on the go, they're out on trains, lots of things like that. Wii is just what they need - something fast and accessible out of a home console.

KINGMOKU

Mashing said:
Well, these initial numbers show that DS success may not translate to Wii success (I'm talking about DS franchises not selling well on their non-handheld systems).

Still, they non gaming crowd are going to eat this system up. That alone might be enough to beat Sony in Japan.
Okay(Not yelling at you)

THESE ARE TWO DAY SALES,NOT A FULL WEEK, OR EVEN 5 DAYS. 2 DAYS OF SALES

Goodlord, you'd think people would get this by now?

Branduil

I'm going to punch everyone who calls Wii Sports and Wii Play "non-games" in the nuts.

And why is everybody forgetting that Wii Sports costs like 2/3 as much as Zelda, and that Wii Play comes with a controller? And that Zelda isn't as popular in Japan? It's not a surprise that it's 3rd.

Amir0x said:
one is confirmed, one isn't Square :p

Maybe those unconfirmed were also based on COMGNET!? :lol
I guess I won't be relying on COMGNET for any kind of accuracy anymore...

BTW just 39.7% of J. Nintendo fanboys picked up Zelda, compared to 75% in N. America...

Amir0x

Banned
Maxrpg said:

Precisely. Thus, "lovable sinking ship of disgustingness." Anyway, who cares about this debate... let's get back to Anihawk's meltdown thanks to Zelda selling less than a shallow compilation of oft wonky and gimmicky mini-games.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
Amir0x said:
I didnt say YOU are ignorant I said your STATEMENT was ignorant totally different.

Maxrpg said:

Personally that doesn't bother me much. I grew up in the NES era, where most games could be completed within a half hour. Then you had your huge complex games that took much longer to complete.

There will always be room for games like Zelda or Final Fantasy, even if sales decline in the wake of "simple and fast" games.

It's not as if the situation in America is much better, where derivative FPS games and yearly roster updates to sports games are king.

aeolist

Banned
pol's voice said:
Personally that doesn't bother me much. I grew up in the NES era, where most games could be completed within a half hour. Then you had your huge complex games that took much longer to complete.

There will always be room for games like Zelda or Final Fantasy, even if sales decline in the wake of "simple and fast" games.

It's not as if the situation in america is much better, where derivative FPS games and yearly roster updates to sports games are king.
As far as I can tell, longer and more involved games aren't really selling less than they used to, it's just that games like Brain Age and Wii Play are selling much more.

threeball

Banned
Bebpo has to be an Xbox Fanboy, no one sane would think that one game would completely turn around a console in a market that has for the past 5 years ignored the product in the first place.

His quote saying you can get Xbox360 + BD for $300 or Wii + Zelda for $300 is stupid, because in that case they would buy the 360 for just one game, and Wii for many games.

Jammy

Banned
Oh crap! I forgot about the Virtual Console games saturating the Wii launch even more than it already is...

There's too much for the Wii in Japan at one time... Gundam, Golf, Zelda, Wario Ware, Wii Sports/Play, and a nice selection of Virtual Console titles... it's foolish to expect people to buy them all or most on day one (or day two in this case).

Bebpo

Banned
So a remake of a PS1 game is going to outsell every single Wii title at launch? It's like the PS3 launch all over again >_<

Top Bottom