• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bebpo is crazy, 360 has risen to the heavens and MC Data is out for the week

Amir0x

Banned
Jammy said:
Oh crap! I forgot about the Virtual Console games saturating the Wii launch even more than it already is...

There's too much for the Wii in Japan at one time... Gundam, Golf, Zelda, Wario Ware, Wii Sports/Play, and a nice selection of Virtual Console titles... it's foolish to expect people to buy them all or most on day one (or day two in this case).

Wait, this is a good point. Is it a decent theory that a bunch of 5-10 dollar games are really oversaturating the market? I'm curious. This seems more like a 'reflex buy' then something that actively prevents a large mass of people then purchasing as many full games as they like.

Ashodin

pol's voice said:
Personally that doesn't bother me much. I grew up in the NES era, where most games could be completed within a half hour. Then you had your huge complex games that took much longer to complete.

There will always be room for games like Zelda or Final Fantasy, even if sales decline in the wake of "simple and fast" games.

It's not as if the situation in America is much better, where derivative FPS games and yearly roster updates to sports games are king.
I understand this, but we'll see an influx of more casual games than big budget ones. What I'm saying is, is that the games you love now will become more sparse, and the games that are selling that are cheap and fast will come faster and harder. Just like sex.

neo2046

Nintendo - 553,429 / 87.6%
3rd party - 78,050 / 12.4%
around 7:1

:( at the 3rd party sales
I can understand that
even if I bought the console on day 1
I would buy Zelda + 1 or more mini/party games only
that is no way/time to play all the games even I have the money
if nintendo is willing to delay Zelda TP 2~3 more weeks
this can help 3rd party titles a lot

and to be serious Wii Play should not be counted in the chart
Wii Play is just a DX version of Wiimote controller

EDIT:
oh yes, someone mentions VC games
I think VC games have some influence on the sales
and it is good to Hudson Soft and Sega
there are lots of great games in PCE and MD (Genesis) era

Amir0x said:
Precisely. Thus, "lovable sinking ship of disgustingness." Anyway, who cares about this debate... let's get back to Anihawk's meltdown thanks to Zelda selling less than a shallow compilation of oft wonky and gimmicky mini-games.
:lol

cvxfreak

Bebpo said:
So a remake of a PS1 game is going to outsell every single Wii title at launch? It's like the PS3 launch all over again >_<

Watch if Wii Sports were to outsell Dragon Quest IX in Japan alone. :lol

Haunted

Media Create 2 Days Sales threat - GAF in an uproar, the sites add quickly...

November NPD/December NPD will be..wait for it... legendary!

seriousbusiness.jpg

personally, I'll hold off on further comments until we have some more numbers to crunch and comment.

KINGMOKU

Man this thread is already a trainwreck becuase of certian people who obviously dont undertand that these are two day sales.

They need to be smakced in the head with the "read" stick.

Maxrpg said:
It still doesn't matter - Japan is buying what they want, and what they want is something fast, easy, and simple.

Way too early to make a statement like that, it's hardly an indication of what the Japanese market wants when Sony's having their supply problems and they can't sell more than they have.

It's amazing how wii sports is going to sell millions, and sell tonnes of consoles.....and it....is..the way it is.

It is so bare and plain and empty and simple, yet so goddamn fun. It's a paradox.

koam

pol's voice said:
I don't see what all the outcry over Zelda sales is, it sold 140k in two days. That's very good.

This is GAF, people expect it to sell a million even if there's only about 400,000 Wiis out there. It's the E.T effect.

The big news here..... DS Pacman is dead...

Nintendo vs Nintendo begins

Deku

Banned
_leech_ said:
Way too early to make a statement like that, it's hardly an indication of what the Japanese market wants when Sony's having their supply problems and they can't sell more than they have.

You mean when they sell more hardware than software?

duderon

rollin' in the gutter
Odysseus said:
Well, more evidence to throw on the "why gaming is dead in Japan" pile.

The only game arguably worth playing at the Wii launch

75% tie-ratio in America
40% tie-ratio in Japan

This just shows how Zelda is more popular here than it is in Japan. Always has been, probably always will be.

Bebpo

Banned
threeball said:
His quote saying you can get Xbox360 + BD for $300 or Wii + Zelda for $300 is stupid, because in that case they would buy the 360 for just one game, and Wii for many games.

Actually I think X360 has more games out and coming out that would appeal to Japanese gamers than Wii atm. Culdcept, Project Sylpheed, [EM], Lost Planet, SRW XO, Trusty Bell coming, AC4 coming, etc... If Japanese gamers can't afford the PS3 because it's too expensive, they can get many of the same games + other Japanese games for 1/2 the price on the X360.

If X360 ball starts moving in Japan, it could easily become the next PS2 because PS3 is just too damn expensive and Wii is as well in comparison to the X360 price over there.

Maxrpg said:
It still doesn't matter - Japan is buying what they want, and what they want is something fast, easy, and simple. If our games start to take that turn (and the big budget games start bombing like this launch data), you're probably going to hate gaming for the next five years.

On my way to the library today I talked to an older gentlemen. He was Japanese, so I asked him what he thought about Nintendo. He said he was glad Nintendo made him feel better about himself. Years ago he was a good teacher in Japan, but after years of teaching he had a nervous breakdown. For years he wouldn't come out of his house. But then one day a little boy showed up at his door with a Nintendo DS. The older man said he feel in love with it from the start; unlike other electronic devices, he understood the DS right away. When he was a teacher he had a dog named Kenji, but the dog died of pnemonia on it's sixth birthday. The older man told me Kenji's spirt lives on in Nintendogs.

After years of sitting alone, his brain also began to lost its spirit. Brain Age revived it, and now he spends his days at the library re-learning all the things he once knew as well as learning how to use computers. Lastly he told me that during his depression, he lay in bed 20 hours a day. Due to this he suffered some muscle antrophy. Yet after playing Wii Sports he was able to regain control of his arms.

As I shook the man's hand, I felt his firm, warm grip and realized Nintendo is truly onto something. We should all be proud of their work. These are not simple "mini-games", they are changing people's lives.

Jammy

Banned
Amir0x said:
Wait, this is a good point. Is it a decent theory that a bunch of 5-10 dollar games are really oversaturating the market? I'm curious. This seems more like a 'reflex buy' then something that actively prevents a large mass of people then purchasing as many full games as they like.

A game is a game. Most people don't play the price card at all. If a child were to point out to his mother that a game he wants is half of at a store she's still likely to tell little Johnny to finish his other two launch games before getting another.

Was there a Zelda supply shortage in Japan?...seriously though, the game was pretty damn hard to find anywhere in the US for the like the first week.

Deku

Banned
Bebpo said:
Actually I think X360 has more games out and coming out that would appeal to Japanese gamers than Wii atm. Culdcept, Project Sylpheed, [EM], Lost Planet, SRW XO, Trusty Bell coming, AC4 coming, etc... If Japanese gamers can't afford the PS3 because it's too expensive, they can get many of the same games + other Japanese games for 1/2 the price on the X360.

If X360 ball starts moving in Japan, it could easily become the next PS2 because PS3 is just too damn expensive and Wii is as well in comparison to the X360 price over there.

It could... anything is possible, but since you're hardcore, half of those games will probably sell 20k to the akiba otaku crownd and die the next week.

That's why if I let GAF run my investments, I would have bought Sony stock instead of Nintendo stocks in 2004.

Ashodin

_leech_ said:
It's NOT too early to make a statement like this. Jesus man, we've had year and months of sales data from Brain Age to show us what Japan wants. This data (HOWEVER many days it is) shows us that they still want something fast and easy.

I hate it when people try to nullify statements by saying "OH ITS WAY TOO EARLY TO SAY THAT LOLOL"

Razoric

Banned
Bebpo said:

You've seriously lost your mind.

Amir0x

Banned
Jammy said:
A game is a game. Most people don't play the price card at all. If a child were to point out to his mother that a game he wants is half of at a store she's still likely to tell little Johnny to finish his other two launch games before getting another.

I just can't imagine that "little Johnny" makes up even a remotely major fraction of the day one buyers... I assume that like every other launch, 90% of day one buyers are usually adopters who have a fair bit of spending money. It seems a bit odd to consider that someone would avoid buying Trauma Center because they spent 10 bucks on Mario Bros. and Soccer.

PhoenixDark said:
On my way to the library today I talked to an older gentlemen. He was Japanese, so I asked him what he thought about Nintendo. He said he was glad Nintendo made him feel better about himself. Years ago he was a good teacher in Japan, but after years of teaching he had a nervous breakdown. For years he wouldn't come out of his house. But then one day a little boy showed up at his door with a Nintendo DS. The older man said he feel in love with it from the start; unlike other electronic devices, he understood the DS right away. When he was a teacher he had a dog named Kenji, but the dog died of pnemonia on it's sixth birthday. The older man told me Kenji's spirt lives on in Nintendogs.

After years of sitting alone, his brain also began to lost its spirit. Brain Age revived it, and now he spends his days at the library re-learning all the things he once knew as well as learning how to use computers. Lastly he told me that during his depression, he lay in bed 20 hours a day. Due to this he suffered some muscle antrophy. Yet after playing Wii Sports he was able to regain control of his arms.

As I shook the man's hand, I felt his firm, warm grip and realized Nintendo is truly onto something. We should all be proud of their work. These are not simple "mini-games", they are changing people's lives.
:lol :lol :lol :lol

Pure awesomeness.

Deku said:
Metroid was never Zelda big in Japan.

FCD Nintendo The Legend of Zelda 1.69
FCD Nintendo The Legend of Zelda II: Link's Adventure 1.61
FCD Nintendo Metroid 1.04

- source: http://come.to/magicbox

While Metroid was never "Zelda big", it certainly was a strong series at some point. Zelda dropped off on the SFC and Link's Awakening (both versions) didn't even place. OoT almost meets the Famicom titles, but you have to keep in mind that Zelda:OoT was the most ambitious title for the N64 and was made in Japan. Majora's Mask, Windwaker, and Minish Cap all had good, but not classic Zelda great sales. So while Metroid sank like a rock, mostly attributed to a game design that doesn't cater to the Japanese, Zelda has been seeing a slower decline.

With that said, you can't base too much off of the initial sales. I think Wii Play, Sports, and Zelda all have a while to go before you can truly judge their sales.

Hero

duckroll said:
The Xbox360 is at 170k in Japan now, the Bundle is going to push AT LEAST 20k next week. If you want to "humor" the discussion, then every single 360+BD bundle sold would be 200k, and the user base would then be 270k. That would mean that the Xbox360 will be the #2 current-gen console in Japan for quite a while, since the PS3 is getting resupplied really slowly and has pretty much no games through Jan in Japan, while the Xbox360 has quite a few big titles. The system will continue to sell, and third party developers will take notice that they're games have a much better chance of selling more units on the 360 than any other console, even with a small user base. Does that make sense?

You think that the lead the Xbox can garner in Japan right now with BD will be a significant amount to squash:

1) When the PS3 is steadily in production
2) FFXIII is released

?

And I'm sorry, I know I said I would humor you and Bebpo here, but at least I have a general interest in Blue Dragon. However I'm confused to this statement and perhaps you can clarify it for me.

since the PS3 is getting resupplied really slowly and has pretty much no games through Jan in Japan, while the Xbox360 has quite a few big titles

Maxrpg said:
It's NOT too early to make a statement like this. Jesus man, we've had years of sales data from Brain Age to show us what Japan wants. This data (HOWEVER many days it is) shows us that they still want something fast and easy.

I hate it when people try to nullify statements by saying "OH ITS WAY TOO EARLY TO SAY THAT LOLOL"

Dude, it's 2 days. If both Sony and Nintendo launched with the exact same numbers, both systems would have sold out. Would that have been a clear indication of what people wanted?

AniHawk

Amir0x said:
Precisely. Thus, "lovable sinking ship of disgustingness." Anyway, who cares about this debate... let's get back to Anihawk's meltdown thanks to Zelda selling less than a shallow compilation of oft wonky and gimmicky mini-games.

Eh. I predicted TP not selling a whole lot over a year ago. This is all pretty much for show. Much like my MP hate.

Er, uh.. nevermind what I just said. Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain!

MrDaravon

1)I'm curious how different, if at all, the numbers from the other JP tracker will be (enterbrain? I'm drawing a blank for some reason)
2)These are TWO DAY SALES
3)Zelda is nowhere near as huge as it is in the US. Most of us reasonable folk expected Wii Play to outsell it (free wiimote being a good part of it), and Wii Sports to do in the same area. OMG JAPAN HAS DIFFERENT TASTES NO WAI

It is disappointing to see some of those lower sales. Trauma Center and Monkeyball are disappointing, but those have never sold well in Japan at all. I would've expected the Gundam game to sell better though, plus it looked cool :(

PhoenixDark said:

:lol :lol :lol

Amir0x

Banned
AniHawk said:
Eh. I predicted TP not selling a whole lot over a year ago. This is all pretty much for show. Much like my MP hate.

Er, uh.. nevermind what I just said. Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain!

oh I know you're not serious. After all, Zelda is bigger in America than Japan.

Ashodin

_leech_ said:
Dude, it's 2 days. If both Sony and Nintendo launched with the exact same numbers, both systems would have sold out. Would that have been a clear indication of what people wanted?
Even though it's only 2 days, the INCREDIBLE LEAD the two games combined have over Zelda is enough to postulate alone.

Y2Kevbug11 said:
Totally.

The 360 is not going to be the next PS2.

Seriously Bebpo, the 360 hasn't even reached what, half the LTD of the original Xbox, whose sales were all front loaded? I'd love for Blue Dragon to do well, but you're reaching badly here.

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
underfooter said:
It's amazing how wii sports is going to sell millions, and sell tonnes of consoles.....and it....is..the way it is.

It is so bare and plain and empty and simple, yet so goddamn fun. It's a paradox.

It's often the things that seem the simplest that are actually the most well designed.

The controls are for the most part absolutely spot-on, if you ever felt cheated by the game it wouldn't be fun. People want to play it so much because they want to get better at it, improve their own skills. The fact it's physical makes it much more competitive in multiplayer, there's far more reward from winning than at a conventional game.

For what is basically their first stab at this sort of game, I'm very impressed. Everyone who has played it at mine has absolutely loved it, and it's been a long time since a game has been so unaminously liked with everyone. I'd really look forward to a sequel actually, given more time I'd be very interested in what they could come up with.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
Dragona Akehi said:
Seriously Bebpo, the 360 hasn't even reached what, half the LTD of the original Xbox, whose sales were all front loaded? I'd love for Blue Dragon to do well, but you're reaching badly here.
easily dragona! easily!!!! :lol

Amir0x

Banned
Dragona Akehi said:

what would happen if the 360 suddenly started selling like the PS2 did? I mean, would... Satan just come out of the ocean to announce his marriage to a sea kraken?

duckroll

Hero said:
You think that the lead the Xbox can garner in Japan right now with BD will be a significant amount to squash:

1) When the PS3 is steadily in production
2) FFXIII is released

Both points have no dates or even time windows, so why would they have any relation to the discussion about the very near future?

And I'm sorry, I know I said I would humor you and Bebpo here, but at least I have a general interest in Blue Dragon. However I'm confused to this statement and perhaps you can clarify it for me.

Blue Dragon -> Oneechanbara vorteX, Earth Defence Force 3, Winning Eleven X, Phantasy Star Universe -> Lost Planet

That's the forecast for the next 3 weeks. On the PS3 front, it's just Armored Core 4, which is already announced for the 360 in Spring 2007. Are you really going to try and argue that the PS3 has a STRONGER line-up in December in Japan? :lol

PhoenixDark said:

:lol

Newzboyz99

Losers! My wife has me on lock!
2 days sales.....repeat......2 days sales.........repeat..........2 days sales......
2 days sales.....repeat......2 days sales.........repeat..........2 days sales......

Amir0x said:
what would happen if the 360 suddenly started selling like the PS2 did? I mean, would... Satan just come out of the ocean to announce his marriage to a sea kraken?

Dude, don't insult the honour of the sea kraken here.

Top Bottom