• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Because I love you guys. A summation of the ESPN/Madden battle in EGM.

Mrbob

Finally got my mag and had to turn to the madden/espn battle. They did the review of the two games in a roundtable format with the three reviewers. Here is a blow by blow summation:

-ESPN is better in the online arena with the 32 man leagues

-The VIP system is liked by all three. It breaks done practically every stat you can think of.

-There seems to be a general consensus that Madden plays better this year. This is why you are seeing madden scoring in the 9s and ESPN in the 8s. They state Madden resembles authentic football more than ESPN this year.

-Graphics wise, they like the lighting in Madden better. Plus the body proportions are more spot on.

-They seem to make fun of the celebrity feature in ESPN. I would too.

-Presentation is still better in ESPN

- UH OH, a couple editors complained about wide open dropped passes in ESPN. Noooooooooooooo....

-Tony Brunos radio show is dumb, just as I expected. Lots of generic spoutings.

-Didn't like Weekly Prep. Felt like too much work. Preferred the training system that Madden offers.

-Talk about the price difference ($20 versus $50). Still mention its still worth it to get madden at $50 even though espn is $20 (duh :p). Madden for the hardcore. Espn for the casuals.

Not saying I agree with everything here (Don't have the game), but this is what the roundtable said. Having said that, this roundtable was much more detailed than the pathetic attempt for a 'review' which was their ncaa 2005 'review'.

DMczaf

-They seem to make fun of the celebrity feature in ESPN. I would too.

WHAT?!?!? Fuck you EGM! The fans wanted celebs and VC gave them celebs!

919830_20040601_screen002.jpg

"Hell yeah son! Ya like dat catch?! Na' wha' I mean?!"

Soul4ger

OMG teh irony. The celebrity feature in ESPN is stupid, but damn it's great in EGM! I love me some Celebrity Gamers!

TekunoRobby

Tag of Excellence
I'd like to see an honest comparison from one person who has had no previous experiences with recent football games and harbors no preference whatsoever. I don't see any side budging and the sheer marketing power of the Madden series (counting in popularity and sports player preference) seems to make more of an impact than game quality in a lot of people I've met.

Fifty

Even though the $20 price will attract casual gamers......Madden already has the casual in the palm of their hands, so it's not like this will change much. Most hardcore sports gamers I know prefer to play online, because that's where the great competition is. ESPN's league mode really caters to the hardcore. Some of their (stupid) features like that mode where you play against Steve-O obviously cater to the casual gamer, but I really think they're going to be quite even, if not leaning towards ESPN for the hardcore crowd.

Top Bottom