• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Beer |OT|

Quick after work pickup. Was reminded last night that I can get Stone across the river in Iowa. Should be a good evening.

Also, Templeton!

To finally see someone driving INTO my state to pick up a beer they can't get at home

:')

Things are getting better here. Just remember to get Ruination next time.

friend's restaraunt is having a Stone Brewery tap takeover and heres the list:

• Stone Pale Ale
• Stone IPA
• Stone Smoked Porter
• Stone Cali Bel
• Stone Sublimely Self-Righteouse Ale
• Arrogant Bastard Ale
• Oaked Arrogant Bastard Ale
• Stone Levitation Ale
• Stone Ruination IPA
• Stone Smoked Porter w/Vanilla Bean
• Stone "The Tiger Cub" Saison
• Evil Twin / Stillwater / Stone "The Perfect Crime" Black Smoked Saison
• Ken Schmidt/Iron Fist/Stone Mint Chocolate Imperial Stout
• Stone 16th Anniversary Ale w/Green Tea Leaves
• 2008 Stone Old Guardian Barley aged in Red Wine
• 2011 Stone Old Gardian Belgo Barley Wine
• Stone Suitable for Cave Aging aged in Bourbon Barrels
• 2012 Double Bastard Ale
• 2011 Stone Anise BELGO Imperial Russian Stout
• Stone Mixtape Ale vol.2 - CH & HS's Blend
• Stone Mixtape Ale vol.3 - Belong to Where You Are, the Neighborhood Blend
• 2012 Stone Old Guardian Barley Wine
• 2012 Stone Imperial Russian Stout
• Stone 11.11.11 Vertical Epic Ale
• Stone 12.12.12 Vertical Epic Ale
• Stone/Drake's collab session IPA
• 2013 odd year smoked Old Guardian

next week is Drakes Hopacalypse and RR Pliny The Younger. :)

• Stone Pale Ale
• Stone IPA
• Stone Smoked Porter
• Stone Cali Bel
• Arrogant Bastard Ale
• Stone Levitation Ale
• Stone Ruination IPA

Sweet Jesus that's a hell of a party. I fear I'd go down the list and wake up in a dumpster.

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey

• Stone Pale Ale
• Stone IPA
• Stone Smoked Porter
• Stone Cali Bel
• Arrogant Bastard Ale
• Stone Levitation Ale
• Stone Ruination IPA

I'm... gonna need to take a road trip methinks.

• Stone Pale Ale
• Stone IPA
• Stone Smoked Porter
• Stone Cali Bel
• Arrogant Bastard Ale
• Stone Levitation Ale
• Stone Ruination IPA

That sounds awesome. 11.11.11 is still my favorite Vertical Epic

dubc35

My beverage of the evening. It's ok IMO. It's been pretty hyped but as far as double IPA's go this one seems run of the mill to me. Maritime's is my favorite so far (but I haven't honestly tried that many DIPA's).

IMAG0667_zpsf225f41d.jpg

t-ramp

Incredible. Chocolate and coffee fornication in your mouth. This beats bourbon county for me as far as best stout I've ever had
and it's half the price
I definitely want to pick this up some time.

Speaking of Founders, their Red Rye PA happened to be $5 for a 6-pack at Hy-Vee, so I picked up a pack. Haven't had any yet.

dekline

I definitely want to pick this up some time.

Speaking of Founders, their Red Rye PA happened to be $5 for a 6-pack at Hy-Vee, so I picked up a pack. Haven't had any yet.

I picked up the breakfast stout from hy-vee today. $10.93 after tax

I haven't had the red rye but that sounds like a bargain. In fact $5 for any beer is a bargain.

Link

The Autumn Wind
Looking forward to your feedback, mcfrank. A Little Sumpin' Sumpin' is one of the few IPA's I can enjoy.

Cr0wn0

Malvolio

The beer I will be drinking tonight with my smoked ribs and brats.

One of Lagunitas best. I honestly don't notice much of a difference between the wild and standard, but it's one of my go to standards when I'm looking to keep something tasty in the fridge.

My beverage of the evening. It's ok IMO. It's been pretty hyped but as far as double IPA's go this one seems run of the mill to me. Maritime's is my favorite so far (but I haven't honestly tried that many DIPA's).

IMAG0667_zpsf225f41d.jpg

Head on over to Fremont. They've got The Brother on tap right now. I think The Sister is the better of their two Imperial IPAs, but they're both fantastic.

One of Lagunitas best. I honestly don't notice much of a difference between the wild and standard, but it's one of my go to standards when I'm looking to keep something tasty in the fridge.

I'm probably exposing a hole in my tastes here, but I've found that Lagunitas seems to rely on what I think of as a sort of "house" flavor for most of their beers, which leads to me having a hard time distinguishing between things like Lil Sumpin Wild and Lil Sumpin Extra and so on.

That being said, I love practically everything Lagunitas puts in a bottle, and at around $3.50 for a 22oz, it's one of the best beer bargains I've found.

TheExodu5

Banned
Hogs Back Brewery and Broadhead Brewery in Ottawa are teaming up and launching the Aporkalypse Now Oatmeal Bacon Stout tomorrow...brewed with real bacon!

Tempted to go try it...

It is ok stuff. I would restrain any hype you may have though if you haven't had it before.
I've made a point a get a bomber of their Saison whenever I go back to Colorado for the last couple years. They also poured some of their one offs at a beer fest here this summer that I really enjoyed.

Decado

Lagunitas was only recently introduced in my area. Lucky 13.alt proved to be one of my favourites, but it was gone too quickly :( Little Sumpin was pretty good, too, but I'm not a huge fan of IPAs.

What I'd *really* like to try is their Imperial Red. Sadly, it is nowhere to be found around here.

Today I picked up:

Skull Splitter (I don't think I've had this before)

The-Orkney-Brewery-Quoyloo-Skull-Splitter.jpg

A strong Belgian ale from a local brewery (Parallel 49) called Vow of Silence (no photo).

Also some Unibroue favourites.

mcfrank

Lost Abbey Serpents Stout and Great Divide Colette for me tonight. Both on tap for $3/pint at the bar on campus where I work.

Captain Pants

Killed by a goddamned Dredgeling
I'm getting back into the swing of things this weekend and brewing our Mongrel Ale. It is either a light stout or a dark ale depending on how you look at it. This is the first time I'm doing it in all grain, so I kept the recipe simple and I'll keep modifying the recipe on subsequent brewings till it's perfect. 9lbs of 2-Row, 2lbs US Choco, 2oz of Cascade hops and some Irish Ale Yeast. I picked up the ingredients today and I can't wait for Saturday.

So thinking of making some beer cheese bread for a beerfest doing multiple loaves with different beer/cheese pairings. So far, my potential combos are:

Aged Gouda and Stout
Pils and Fresh Cheese (or Mexican Beer and Asadero)
English Cheddar and Brown
Blue and IPA
Aged Swiss or Gruyère and Bock (maybe a Doppelbock)
Chèvre and Hefe

Using this recipe
8 ounces all-purpose flour
4 ounces whole-wheat flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
1 teaspoon sugar
4 1/2 ounces sharp Cheddar, grated
12 ounces beer

Bake 375

Any other ideas of good beer/cheese pairs or suggestions? I've made this bread before with cheddar and pale ale, but I've always wanted to play around with it a bit.

mcfrank

Heh, Lets pour put up some Peche n Brett and pretty much instantly sold out. Here is the link if you want to set an alert for the page changing in case they get another case or two.

http://www.letspour.com/deals/1683?s=mailc5866&u=158161

Edit, someones cart expired and 1 went back up. I have it in my cart and will do a syncronized cancel with someone if they want. I can hold it for 14 minutes.

Man, I wish Stone would ship their stuff overseas since I constantly hear good things about it, but they seem to think for some reason they're better than everyone else. Seriously, they make an IPA, but don't want to send it overseas?

Any GAFfer interested in perhaps a beer swap for beers which are only locally available? The craft scene is cranking in Australia right now. Some amazing New Zealand breweries too, and we tend to get a lot of their stuff.

I finally have a Heady Topper in the fridge, gonna bust that mofo out this weekend.

Aside from that, it's been Nugget Nectar all day 'erry day.

Man, I wish Stone would ship their stuff overseas since I constantly hear good things about it, but they seem to think for some reason they're better than everyone else. Seriously, they make an IPA, but don't want to send it overseas?

Any GAFfer interested in perhaps a beer swap for beers which are only locally available? The craft scene is cranking in Australia right now. Some amazing New Zealand breweries too, and we tend to get a lot of their stuff.

Beer trading is crazy expensive, yo. $25 to ship three 12 oz bottles and two cans from Seattle to Chicago. Yeouch.

Beer trading is crazy expensive, yo. $25 to ship three 12 oz bottles and two cans from Seattle to Chicago. Yeouch.
Indeed it is. But it's cheaper than flying somewhere! I spent a hundred bucks last weekend on a dozen bottles (around half local, half imports) in a local specialty store as it is.

Just weighed a couple of bottles. Half a dozen would work out to around 3.6kg (7lb 15oz?). Using Australia post, that'd be $60 via sea mail or $90 via air mail. We don't seem to have SAL as an option, unfortunately.

VALIS

I'd like to get into trading but the scenes on BA and RB seem pretty advanced. ie., If you don't have the super rare goods that everyone wants right now, it seems hard to get started. But maybe that's unfair since I haven't tried yet.

That said, I will be making a run over to neighboring Vermont soon for some legendary Hill Farmstead and Heady-Topper, and those are liquid gold.

I really just want those Russian River beers, which can't be found in New England. Actually, they seem hard to find outside of California and Oregon in general.

VALIS

Got to try the Sixpoint Resin the other day. Met the hype and surpassed it, my favorite IPA/DIPA going right now, but I haven't had Pliny or Heady-Topper. Really juicy, cirtusy, strong pink grapefruit, orange, tangerine. So fucking delicious. I was sucking the roof of my mouth for 20 minutes afterward.

PG2G

Drink that Alesmith beer while listening to the new My Bloody Valentine album. You have no choice.

I will attempt this. Tho I have never listened to them before, so no guarantees that I will make it through the whole bottle

Anyone seen Sucaba around? Have never tried it but hear so many good things that I feel like I have to hunt it down. It should be hitting stores now-ish

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
I will attempt this. Tho I have never listened to them before, so no guarantees that I will make it through the whole bottle

Anyone seen Sucaba around? Have never tried it but hear so many good things that I feel like I have to hunt it down. It should be hitting stores now-ish

I saw Sucaba in Bend a few days ago.

dekline

Woodcut No. 5
Surly Hell

Been eyeing the woodcut for close to a year now. Noticed the price cut to $20 and decided to grab it. I'm probably going to be disappointed but at least I won't have to stare at it when I walk into the liquor store anymore.

btw great lager from surly.

Just some stuff I drank during the Superbowl.
5mW1KRe.jpg
:O

How was it? Virtually impossible to find in Australia (unless you're OK paying $300 for the gift pack). Saw it once at Popeye's in Tokyo but wasn't in a position to buy it. Hoping to head to that part of the world (though not necessarily the abbey) so hoping I'll find it. I'll probably just pay whatever they're asking at this point.

:O

How was it? Virtually impossible to find in Australia (unless you're OK paying $300 for the gift pack). Saw it once at Popeye's in Tokyo but wasn't in a position to buy it. Hoping to head to that part of the world (though not necessarily the abbey) so hoping I'll find it. I'll probably just pay whatever they're asking at this point.

Easy to get in Brussels. I got a ton of bottles of 12 for 10 Euro each, and some 8's for 8 Euro a piece.

Top Bottom