• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Beer |OT|

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
What do you guys recommend for Red Ales (with wide availability, I'm in MI)? I had a really good locally brewed one at a brewery and I've been craving more.

What do you guys recommend for Red Ales (with wide availability, I'm in MI)? I had a really good locally brewed one at a brewery and I've been craving more.

Hoppy/American Red or Irish Red (which will be a bit more malt focused)

Odell's Spring Seasonal is an excellent hoppy red if you can get a hold of that.
Green Flash Hop Head Red is another

edit: It would appear neither of these are available in your state, sorry

aceface

IMAG0053-1.jpg

I love half off half the taps night. Sometimes you gotta treat yourself

Love the Magners on there, lol. Hey, I love a Magners myself from time to time!

zethren

Banned
The Shocktop Honeycrisp seasonal beer is really good. Picked up a box the other day, and honestly might go get 2 more before they're all gone.

Duchesse de Bourgoune

So damn good.

I really like Duchesse.

Qt8q8Pa.jpg

Friend brought back some Alchemist Heady Topper from Vermont. Apparently they do not distribute outside of Vermont. Holy shit, definately one of the best beers I've had. It's recommended to drink out of the can. I did half can and half tulip glass, so fucking good.

Will be having some Pliny The Younger in a couple weeks. Kind of tired waiting and tracking Pliny stuff down, especially The Younger.

PG2G

I keep hearing about Heady. One day I am going to fly out to the north east and drive all over the place drinking/buying beer :p

mcfrank

Found a Pliny the Elder at Father's Office in Santa Monica. It was a really well balanced beer with none of the overt bitterness I find in lesser IPAs. I still cant say IPAs are my thing, but if they all tasted like this then I would enjoy them a lot more.

Found a Pliny the Elder at Father's Office in Santa Monica. It was a really well balanced beer with none of the overt bitterness I find in lesser IPAs. I still cant say IPAs are my thing, but if they all tasted like this then I would enjoy them a lot more.

yup, Pliny is good. All the beer nerds will clear out the small selection of stores that carry them every Tuesday. Pliny The Younger is going to be tapped here soon and that shit will be gone in less than an hour :\

What'd ya think? The bottle had my attention but I probably won't be able to get any until I visit Corridor Total Wine in Feb.

I honestly have no idea.
The bottle art spoke to my soul.
I haven't drank in over a month and I wanted to try it. I've never had a rye beer before.

I don't know how to describe it.
Aggressive?
They call it an IPA and I can see why, it's very bitter, and spicy. It's big. I kind of just blasted through it with my eyes rolled back.
I like it but may be too spicy for my tastes. I'll have to try it again (without a month lapse of beer drinking) to offer any sort of meaningful commentary.

kodt

Banned
Found out my local bar has Hopslam.

Tonight I drank:

22oz Half Acre Daisy Cutter
Bells Hopslam
Firestone Walker Union Jack IPA
Deschutes Chainbreaker IPA

Just had Avery's The Reverend. Very nice, but for the price, I think Sierra Nevada's Kellerweiss isn't too far off, and I'd rather have a 6 pack of that than a single bomber of The Reverend.

Just had Avery's The Reverend. Very nice, but for the price, I think Sierra Nevada's Kellerweiss isn't too far off, and I'd rather have a 6 pack of that than a single bomber of The Reverend.

??? What do you mean by Kellerweiss not being too far off? The Reverend is a Belgian Quad. If you're still looking for hoppy beers, Schlafly AIPA just came out if you haven't had it. Very underrated

Malvolio

Had Gumballhead tonight. Damn.

This is the beer that made me believe in the Three Floyds hype. I had already tried Darklord and a few others but what they did with a pale wheat blew my mind. In fact, I've yet to try a beer from them that I wouldn't consider to be near the top of the class. Amazing brewery.

This is the beer that made me believe in the Three Floyds hype. I had already tried Darklord and a few others but what they did with a pale wheat blew my mind. In fact, I've yet to try a beer from them that I wouldn't consider to be near the top of the class. Amazing brewery.

My wife's cousin gave me bottles of Alpha King and Pride & Joy a couple years ago and I wasn't impressed by them, but Zombie Dust and Gumballhead are fantastic.

However, I still think that Boneyard's Aleias is a better wheat hybird (IPA) than Gumballhead.

Talon

My wife's cousin gave me bottles of Alpha King and Pride & Joy a couple years ago and I wasn't impressed by them, but Zombie Dust and Gumballhead are fantastic.

However, I still think that Boneyard's Aleias is a better wheat hybird (IPA) than Gumballhead.
Good man.

Weihenstephaner Hefeweissbier and Gumballhead are my favorite wheat beers.

Fremont Brewing here in Seattle did a one-off batch of their Wandering Wheat with Citra hops last summer. It was the best wheat beer I've ever had. I hope they do it again this summer.

I've enjoyed Boulevard's 80 acre hoppy wheat recently as well. I'm surprised the hoppy wheat thing took so long to pick up, from my understanding places like 3 Floyds and homebrewers have been doing this style for quite some time.

TriniTrin

war of titties grampa
Do we have a brewing OT? I am getting ready to start brewing some beers and wanted to see if we have something with some good info in it about brewing.

IMAG0056-1.jpg

Quit my job in late Dec so I've been drinking craps beer around the house. Picked this up today so I'll have something a little better over the weekend

Talon

I love hoppy pale ales as much as any other guy (Two Hearted and Zombie Dust are my favorite two beers right now), but does anyone have a suggestion for a great pilsener? I had this one pilsener in Minneapolis that was surprisingly great, but I can't recall the name of it at all. Ring a bell for anyone?

Anyone else feel like the hopslam this year is too mellow? Perhaps my pallate is changing.
Right now imo firestone union jack and the double jacks are far and away the best IPAs out there.
I do like me a racer 5 and a dreadnaught from time to time as a substitute.

kodt

Banned
Anyone else feel like the hopslam this year is too mellow? Perhaps my pallate is changing.
Right now imo firestone union jack and the double jacks are far and away the best IPAs out there.

I had one Sixpack that seemed mellow and the honey taste was very prominent. It was very smooth.

Then I had one at a bar last night and it seemed much hoppier with only a slight honey after taste.

Talon

The draft I had had a pretty strong bite of hops. I need to grab a six pack tomorrow.

Minus_Me

I've had so many hoppy beers that the bitter taste is non existent now, and I find my enjoyment of very hoppy beers has gone up considerably. I'd love to give hopslam a try but getting it is impossible here.

Minus_Me

Probably don't have access to that either in Montreal. When they have the Mondiale de la Biere every year, american beers are the first to be cleared.

I love hoppy pale ales as much as any other guy (Two Hearted and Zombie Dust are my favorite two beers right now), but does anyone have a suggestion for a great pilsener? I had this one pilsener in Minneapolis that was surprisingly great, but I can't recall the name of it at all. Ring a bell for anyone?

Depends where you are. I really enjoy Avery's Pils, Oscar Blues Mama's Yella Pils, Scrimshaw from North Coast, and if you're in MSP, Surly makes a Helles called Hell that can hit the spot when you need a light lager (might be seasonal though).

Link

The Autumn Wind
You're not giving much to go on. I'm a fan of Golden Pheasant myself.

Top Bottom