• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Beer |OT|

SummitAve

Banned
New Belgium rep came into the store with a case of the new Rampant Imperial IPA yesterday for us to try. It has an extremely fruity smell with notes of peach and citrus. The taste is not what I was expecting. For 8.6 abv this is a dangerously easy drink. Not very dry or bitter, but lots of fresh hop taste and the peach citrusy notes really come through at the end. A very interesting beer that may not be one of my favorites, but is definitely memorable. Would recommend for the smell alone.
beer_ri_prod.png

Also picked up a bottle of Deschutte's Hop Henge on my coworkers rec that it was her 2nd favorite behind hop slam.

Not sure about cascade in a bitter, but cool you can bring your own food into the tasting room

That's incredibly common out here in Seattle. Places that don't serve food always let you bring your own, and they sometimes have food trucks in the parking lot.

ABV range is nice - most of the bitters I brew are around 3-5%

Edit: I've let some Brits I know in Seattle about it so hope they like it

The owner is a Brit himself and used to brew in Norfolk.

andylsun

That's incredibly common out here in Seattle. Places that don't serve food always let you bring your own, and they sometimes have food trucks in the parking lot.

The owner is a Brit himself and used to brew in Norfolk.

We have places where you can bring your own beer, but not sure if you can sell poured beer without food in NH or MA.

What part of Norfolk? Lived there for a few years

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member

Chuck's Land of a Thousand Beers!

Mr.Swag

Banned
Just saw a commercial for some lemon beer. Think it was lehenberg or some shit like that.
As a person that loves lemonade and beer, I've never tried a mix.
Anyone tried it?

hermit7

Just saw a commercial for some lemon beer. Think it was lehenberg or some shit like that.
As a person that loves lemonade and beer, I've never tried a mix.
Anyone tried it?

Leinenkugel their Summer Shandy. It is really good and quite refreshing on a warm day. One of my personal favorites during the summer.

kodt

Banned
If you like that, also check out Stigel Radler. It's like grapefruit soda blended with beer. Very refreshing. Very low ABV so you can knock em back.

codhand

IvbM2bh.jpg

friend of mine sent me this pic of a Lambic he invented.

EDIT
wait, actually he learned it in Colombia.

and now that i think of it, ive seen Mexican's put grenadine syrup in Corona.

In other news, this beer was terrific.
8525003796_76f4335263_n.jpg

Brooklyn Silver Anniversary Lager, 9% abv

anyone here routinely pack beer in checked luggage?

i'm going to load up about 36 bombers in my luggage to take back to MI this weekend. i think the trick is to pack it in a way that will still be safe after TSA rifles though the suitcases.

i've heard a couple horror stories, but mostly it seems to go smoothly.

Jamesways

New Belgium rep came into the store with a case of the new Rampant Imperial IPA yesterday for us to try. It has an extremely fruity smell with notes of peach and citrus. The taste is not what I was expecting. For 8.6 abv this is a dangerously easy drink. Not very dry or bitter, but lots of fresh hop taste and the peach citrusy notes really come through at the end. A very interesting beer that may not be one of my favorites, but is definitely memorable. Would recommend for the smell alone.
beer_ri_prod.png

Also picked up a bottle of Deschutte's Hop Henge on my coworkers rec that it was her 2nd favorite behind hop slam.

I'm drinking one right now for the first time and it's seriously blowing me away. I love it. It's very complex, not at all what you'd expect from an "Imperial" IPA. One thing I really like about NB beers is that a lot of them exhibit that sharpness in aftertaste. Talking with one of my co-workers who also works at Summit Brewing here in the Twin Cities, he said the distinct taste overall in brew houses is not a result of equipment, hops, or malts, but rather the yeast. They all share the same yeast. I find that very interesting, I think we all can name several breweries whose brews share a certain taste or feel, regardless of style.

Anyway, this is instantly a favorite of mine, and I usually stick to Cascade hopped brews. But this has enough malt bite and smoothness for very, very easy drinking.

Oh I do love Hop Henge too. Hop Slam, Hop Henge, Hop Stoopid from Lagunitas are all up there in my list for wet hop/double IPAs.

Like I said though, I'm a Cascade guy through and through, so Bells Two Hearted, Steel Toe Size 7, Ale Asylum's Hopalicious are all my go-to beers.

Wife bought me some Hop Candy for Christmas from www.swagbrewery.com. Highly recommend it, they have several kinds of hop types too. The Cascade one is awesome. Gives you that taste without drinking a beer.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Picked up some to try. I like the higher alcohol ones so I only need one :). #cheapdate

Wild Blue and Wild Red both taste like ass to me. Syrupy or something...I don't know, but I wanted to like them when I tried, but I simply couldn't deal with it. I almost poured them down the drain. :(

In other news, I had a shitty day at work, so I picked up a 4-pack of La Fin Du Monde. Always makes a bad day good.

ha, cod gaf

this looks tastier than pbr x fanta, but still i cant do it, i think i may have tried syrup with a corona once, while not terrible, just too sweet for me.

Berliner Weisse isn't sweet, it's a slightly sour wheat beer than can have syrup added to it, but not always.

hermit7

Had a couple yesterday, Rochefort 10 and Chimay Blue. The Rochefort was really good, I enjoyed the fruity notes that it had all at 11.5%!

Chimay was good, though less impressive a little I more enjoy Gulden Draak, which I think is my favorite overall beer at this point in life.

dekline

I had their Grainstorm Black Rye IPA last weekend and it was amazing.

From their smokestack series I've had TSG and harvest dance. Both were delicious.

Brett, rye-on-rye and BBQ all sound fantastic but I've yet to see them around here.

VALIS

Made a run to one of the better beer stores in MA (Redstone Liquors in Stoneham, for those nearby) and walked about with so much shit both clerks had to help me carry it all to the car. My aching wallet.

Currently drinking a North Coast Le Merle saison that my wife bought me yesterday. A little too crisp and champagney for me.

PVDaRRa.jpg

Magni

EDIT
wait, actually he learned it in Colombia.

and now that i think of it, ive seen Mexican's put grenadine syrup in Corona.

In France it's very common to put grenadine syrup in a panaché (blonde + French lemonade), it's called a Monaco.

Currently drinking a North Coast Le Merle saison that my wife bought me yesterday.
Lately I've been asking the wife (who dislikes beer) to buy my beers when she's out shipping, and specifically ones she doesn't think I've had.

She's bought half a dozen so far, no doubles or ones I've had before. A bit hit or miss but it's been fun regardless! Most are ones I'd never choose myself.

I'm pretty much a beer wuss and don't want to be any more.

I hated beer for the longest time, but I had only tried stuff like Bud and Miller.

About a year ago I tried a Summer Shandy and really liked it, so I started branching out a bit. I've found that I like most of the Leinenkugel stuff (the only one I haven't liked is the current Winter brew) and a month or so ago I tried Red Chair on tap and now that's my current go-to.

A friend bought me a bottle of Three Floyd's Behemoth Barleywine and I picked up a strange bottle I found at Whole Foods (some kind of banana bread concoction) so I'm planning on trying those out soon.

Is there any beginner friendly not-so-run of mill stuff that anyone would recommend?

Had Boneyard's Hop Venom (Imperial IPA) yet again, and Logsdon's Cerasus (Flanders Red) on draft last night before the Sounders game. Yum.

Is there any beginner friendly not-so-run of mill stuff that anyone would recommend?

You're in IL, right? Bells' Two Hearted Ale is a nice IPA, give it a shot. Also, Three Floyds' Gumball Head and Zombie Dust are good pale ales that you should have access to.

Red Chair is a seasonal for Deschutes that is only available January through May, so stock up if you like it.

You're in IL, right? Bells' Two Hearted Ale is a nice IPA, give it a shot. Also, Three Floyds' Gumball Head and Zombie Dust are good pale ales that you should have access to.

Red Chair is a seasonal for Deschutes that is only available January through May, so stock up if you like it.

Yeah, I'm about an hour west of Chicago. I'll check them out!

My buddy raves about Zombie Dust but they were out last time he stopped by the brewery, hence my Behemoth. I had not yet heard of Gumball Head. Thanks!

My buddy raves about Zombie Dust but they were out last time he stopped by the brewery, hence my Behemoth. I had not yet heard of Gumball Head. Thanks!

Be careful with the Behemoth. If you've never had a barleywine before, it could kick your ass. High ABV beer, ahoy.

Gumballhead is an extremely well hopped pale wheat ale. We don't get FFF out here in Seattle, so in the few times I've had their beers, I actually prefer it over Zombie Dust.

t-ramp

La Fin Du Monde is great. I pick up a 750ml bottle every now and then. Let us know what you think!
It's a readily available, high quality, delicious beer. Hopefully your impressions reflect as such! :)
It's good, but I've never had a tripel, and didn't know what to expect going in. Reminded me of Sierra Nevada's Kellerweis which I had a couple weeks ago. Similar to Dynamite's impressions, although I didn't necessarily think one was vastly superior to the other.

Picked up a 6 pack of Sierra Nevada Kellerweis after work. Had two bottles and I'm honestly not feeling it. Pretty disappointing to be honest. As a Hefeweisen, with its light citrusy taste and hints of banana, it's sorely lacking next to the similar tasting tripels I've tried. It's just sort of bland tasting. It's initially sweet due to the banana undertones, but that quickly dissipates and you get the bite and bitterness of cloves and it all fades just as quickly as it begins. There's no lasting taste of any sort, it's almost like drinking water. La Fin du Monde and New Belgium's Tripel blow it out of the water. Probably should have just went with the tried and true Torpedo or Left Hand's Milk Stout :l
Seems odd to directly compare tripels and hefeweizens. They have very little in common.
I think it was just this particular hefeweizen that reminded me of the taste of the tripels I compared it against. It had a similar taste to me, other hefeweizens I've had erred more towards a orange/citrus taste. I probably just prefer the taste of tripels to the hefs to be honest as these left very little lasting impression even after two.
----

Be careful with the Behemoth. If you've never had a barleywine before, it could kick your ass. High ABV beer, ahoy.
I drank a bottle of Stone's Old Guardian the other day and found it too syrupy and hard to drink to be very enjoyable.

Talon

Zombie Dust might be my favorite pale ale.

Gumball Head is FFF's wheat ale. Pretty much the perfect summer beer.

Malvolio

Two Brothers and Revolution are two local breweries that you should be able to find in most liquor stores. They usually are in cans so keep an eye out for them. Revolution's Eugene Porter is a big favorite of mine, I highly recommend it.

Top Bottom