• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Beer |OT|

Was at a party and a guy had a Chimay from 2003 that had been aged in barrels for ten years and then one additional year in his cupboard. He offered me a sip and it was godlike. Definitely one of the best beers I've tasted, maybe even the best. But I'd need more than one sip to decide that...

Yes Boss!

Beer for friday night.

144DC553-974E-4A12-BF25-D16915BC074F-12294-00000EC16108231E.jpg

Seth C

West Sixth, one of the breweries in Lexington, celebrated their first birthday today. I stopped by around noon for my commemorative glass (and a cupcake!). One Year Older and Hoppier.

Had some time to kill in Charleston, WV so I stopped in Pies and Pints for dinner and had a Bridge Brew Works flight.

Lager, Pale Ale, Bridge Brew Ale, and Moxxee Coffee Stout.

offtopic

He measures in centimeters
I liked it a lot too, had it tuesday, i really like rye ipas

I have had a number of them but really only loved the Hop Rod Rye (Bear Republic). I also have found that most black IPAs are basically slightly modified stouts so haven't been all that impressed. Basically wasn't expecting much when I poured myself a glass. However, the Wookey was definitely an IPA and definitely fantastic.

BigDug13

Got a keg of Green Flash's 9th anniversary (Green Bullet) IIIPA at the house this week. It's delicious and ends up being around $1.75 a pint.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
I bought some Boddingtons last night because I've always wanted to try it. I'm not sure if I liked it or not...It may be because I didn't pour it right or because I couldn't find my pint glass to pour it into? I don't know.

TheExodu5

Banned
Now, the question is...which do I try tonight?

I've never had a Dieu du Ciel beer before, so I might try one of those. Apparently they're rated as one of the best breweries in the world...glad I finally found a store nearby that stocked them.

Now, the question is...which do I try tonight?

I've never had a Dieu du Ciel beer before, so I might try one of those. Apparently they're rated as one of the best breweries in the world...glad I finally found a store nearby that stocked them.

dont tell me some shit like this man.. cause then i go on a mission to find it!

TheExodu5

Banned
Well, first beer up tonight:

Deserables
b0b136e443d4ce3c38d68dc93616ff80_320x320.jpg

The smell is nice. The maple is a bit artificial...it's a bit too much on the Aunt Jemima side of things, but for now I'll just describe it as maple + butterscotch. The taste leaves a lot to be desired though. It tastes like a maple/butterscotch beer, but it feels really watered down. It's really lacking in body. I feel like this would be a much better beer if there was some grain or malty notes accompanying the maple. As it stands, it just feels way too light and watery.

Not bad, but not great.

edit: if you've ever had Coureur Des Bois (a maple flavored whisky), it smells a lot like that.

TheExodu5

Banned
That's a bottle of Mont Belgium style wheat in the back right? Great session beer if you're into that.

Yeah....that one was a bit of an intriguing unknown, so I figured I'd try it. I'm not sure what a session beer is, but I'll report back once I try it.

Yes Boss!

Went to the Dogfish Head brewery yesterday in Milton DE. Brewery is located in the strangest place ever, in the middle of nowhere among houses/farms. Lots of fun and picked up these for next weekend (along with a pilsner glass):

04483B64-8F0D-4C72-9B92-26712FDDC701-13544-0000107143AF710D.jpg

Also went to their bar in Rehoboth. Got five different beers, my favorite being their Saison printempts:

D62D96FC-3237-4865-9019-834ED23910FE-13544-00001071485A13C4.jpg

Good times! They also have another official Alehouse just thirty minutes south of me in Gaithersburg.

TheExodu5

Banned
Having the Aphrodisiaque:

GK3oAKI.jpg

I'm a bit harder to impress when it comes to stouts, but this is a good one. The aroma is really something else...probably the best smelling stout to date. Dark chocolate and roasted malts makes for such a wonderful aroma. The dark chocolate comes through in the taste. It's actually surprisingly bitter, though the bitterness actually goes a long way to balancing this out very nicely. It's a bit dry for my tastes, as I like a bit of sweetness to accompany bitterness, but all in all, this is a really nice beer.

Oh, and I love the label for this beer.

SummitAve

Banned
Had this yesterday with lunch
maifest_feature.jpg

and I was impressed. Tasted like Blue Moon, but without that horrible coriander taste

Love me some Schells. The brewery and gardens are beautiful, and makes for a fun day trip...During their Bockfest they do this traditonal hot iron poker thing where they take an iron poker that's been laying in a big fire and swirl it around your beer. The red hot poker carmalizes some of the beer and brings out new flavors, it's good fun!

bockfest2009.jpg

random pic I found of it.

kodt

Banned
Few cool labels from yesterday.

Had a Three Floyds Stack N Stabb yesterday, very good version of a Belgian Strong Pale Ale.

uZdWPiV.png

Then had some Something Hoppy by Pipeworks, a interesting mix of hops in this IPA. It was quite hopppy, but the combination put me off a bit. Not too sure about this one.

Pma7v7W.png

pj

Banned
i'll be at Bell House in Brooklyn tomorrow for a Sixpoint Humane Society fundraiser, here's the exclusives I'll be stumbling my way through:

if anyone is curious i'll check one out any recommendations and post my thoughts

My gf and I went to the evening session of this. I was surprised at how smoothly it went, considering how many people were there. We never spent more than 15 seconds in line for a beer. The food was good, although a bit too vegetarian friendly for my taste. I even enjoyed the stand up comedians, although I was about 15 tastings in at that point which may have something to do with it..

I managed to try all of the one off beers on the list except for I think two. I can't find my sheet right now, but I remember that most of them were pretty good and surprisingly drinkable. Some of the more gimmicky beers were one note, like the thin mint that was very minty and the smoked lager that was very smoky.

One of the standouts I remember was Old Ironsides, which I thought was an excellent brown ale.

codhand

My gf and I went to the evening session of this. I was surprised at how smoothly it went, considering how many people were there. We never spent more than 15 seconds in line for a beer. The food was good, although a bit too vegetarian friendly for my taste. I even enjoyed the stand up comedians, although I was about 15 tastings in at that point which may have something to do with it..

I managed to try all of the one off beers on the list except for I think two. I can't find my sheet right now, but I remember that most of them were pretty good and surprisingly drinkable. Some of the more gimmicky beers were one note, like the thin mint that was very minty and the smoked lager that was very smoky.

One of the standouts I remember was Old Ironsides, which I thought was an excellent brown ale.

Old Ironsides was a top three for me, Nigel's Dreamcrusher I thought was the best. Others I liked off the top of my head, Willis Rye, Tucking Friple, Gruit #13, Killer Crisp. The event was really well run, props to them.

pj

Banned
Old Ironsides was a top three for me, Nigel's Dreamcrusher I thought was the best. Others I liked off the top of my head, Willis Rye, Tucking Friple, Gruit #13, Killer Crisp. The event was really well run, props to them.

I tried 30 different beers that night, so my recollection is hazy for a couple reasons.

According to my notes I liked the ones you listed, especially Willis Rye. Patrick's Absence Stout and Spice of Life Sorachi Ace also stood out to me.

pxleyes

Banned
I'll do what I can to provide anyone who wants some when they come out. I imagine they will be only available in the Central Florida area to start. Each one is stellar, but I'm obsessed with Midnight Oil and Wild Night. Stump Knocker is a great drinking IPA.

Is the Russian Imperial Stout good? I debated picking one up last week when at the local craft beer store but wavered so in the end decided on something else.

t-ramp

I bought a 4-pack of Trois Pistoles yesterday but haven't had any yet. I must say, I really like the artwork. Not particularly eye-catching, but it's pretty cool.

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate
I spent the last weekend trying to find a place in the Bay area that could order some beer from my hometown in Nebraska for me. Sadly, I don't think that's gonna happen ever gonna happen out here. :/

Top Bottom