• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Beer |OT|

Yes Boss!

Drinking my Dogfish I picked up last weekend at the brewery:

Not quite enough so I went to the commissary and got a four-pack of 90-minute IPA (nice price at 9.99 and no tax):

dekline

The wizards from Surly made a visit. And they brought a keg of darkness!

ibkqpvcNIJzGqS.jpg

iVtUkwQTi8NCT.jpg

itcY6L5YawT5A.jpg

They also gave me a free shirt.

iBX0vlCvT1j07.jpg

HiResDes

I definitely don't go out of my way for Dead Guy Ale anymore, but if it's the only craft beer on tap I'll go with it. I honestly don't think it's much better than Shiner Bock.

Went to New Orleans for a week (living in CT now), and was determined to try as many regional brews as possible. Abita Amber was quite tasty. Abita Purple Haze and Strawberry Ale were ok but not spectacular. NOLA Blonde was great though.

But back in CT now and glad to be back and get Otter Creek, a Vermont brewery. Particularly their Russian Imperial Stout variety. Yum yum.

Meant to post this earlier, but I haven't had much time to play with it.

Best gift ever for the summer: The Kirin Frozen Beer Foam maker! Mmmmmmm...frosty beer...

CYXwkpy.jpg

AsGU6S0.jpg

0e18891.jpg

Drank only homebrew last night, and commercial beer tonight. I enjoyed the homebrew more. One of the commercial ones was a special collaboration (Mash Collective's Aureus Chrysalis). It wasn't very good.

Not quite enough so I went to the commissary and got a four-pack of 90-minute IPA (nice price at 9.99 and no tax)
Still find it crazy how cheap beer is in the US... A premium IPA 4-pack (hardly any 4-packs though, they're all 6-packs) would probably come to at least $16 ($25 for the 6-pack) in Australia.

If I could even find the 90 minute (found it as a grey import, considering giving it a go later this year), it'd be about $8 a bottle.

Yes Boss!

Still find it crazy how cheap beer is in the US... A premium IPA 4-pack (hardly any 4-packs though, they're all 6-packs) would probably come to at least $16 ($25 for the 6-pack) in Australia.

If I could even find the 90 minute (found it as a grey import, considering giving it a go later this year), it'd be about $8 a bottle.

It is always like that. Cheaper where you live. I lived the last few years in Bavaria Germany and we had crazy 16-oz bottles of amazing beer for about 80 euro cents each. I'd get a whole rack of 20 for about 16 euros (including deposit). Same beers in the states cost $3-5 a bottle or more. Go to the belgian supermarkers like Makro and Rochefort 10s are less than $1.50. California beers here in MD have a $2-3 markup per six-pack simply because I'm on the east coast.

Hitting Stone up today. Haven't been in a while (probably last Summer) and I'm going with a couple of people that haven't been at all. Should be fun.

Sappy113

Might have gone a bit overboard on the last few days beer raids.

17282_10151535602719826_800367351_n.jpg

There's the haul:

Mikkeller: Boogaloo on Brown Ale Avenue
Left Hand Milk Stout
Weihenstephaner
Mikkeller Ricemarket (brewed with ginger and honey)
Flying Dog Raging Bitch IPA
Kihosk/Mikkeller IPA (brewed with orange zest): special brew for a specialty store in Copenhagen
Samuel Smith Imperial Stout
Anchor Brewing Liberty Ale
Young's Double Choc Stout
Mikkeller Cream Ale

AND
Three Floyds Alpha King, purchased about 5 minutes away from work, also in Copenhagen.

Problem now... where do I start.

Milchjon

I finally found a brewpub that sells international craft beers over here (Germany).

Only problem, as expected: the prices. So I need some input to not waste too much money.

For starters, is the Sierra Nevada Torpedo IPA worth it?

Link

The Autumn Wind
I finally found a brewpub that sells international craft beers over here (Germany).

Only problem, as expected: the prices. So I need some input to not waste too much money.

For starters, is the Sierra Nevada Torpedo IPA worth it?
It's a very bitter IPA, so if that's your thing, go for it.

VALIS

Got some Ten Fidy at the local beer supermarket. Really good.

Also I found this hilarious old guy who does tons of beer reviews on youtube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tX9HKH-PFB4

What's in the fridge today??

I know without even clicking you must be talking about Greg. It's funny, he recently shaved his longass hillbilly mountain beard and started dying his hair and now short beard, before that he really used to look like a gold prospector who's been lost in the mountains since 1879. I like Greg, though. There's something very soothing and calm and friendly about his reviews.

I recently went through my Youtube subscription list and dumped all the beer review channels, of which I had like 15-20. It's more fun to search for reviews of what you're currently drinking than watch people review whatever random beer you might or might not have access to.

Well, all of them except this guy, who does mock beer snob/trader reviews and is fucking hilarious: http://www.youtube.com/user/dontdrinkbeers?feature=watch

They had something called Evil Twin Hipster Ale at tonight's tasting session. The guy who poured it out said it was very similar to Zombie Dust. Can anyone corroborate that statement? Thought it was pretty good myself, enjoyed the Lil B imperial porter too, was nice and chocolatey

hermit7

Went to my neighborhood beer store and picked up some old favorites and new brews.

Westmalle Belgium Tripel
Duvel
Ommegang's Three Philosophers
Lagunitas Sucks
and I have had, but haven't cracked Eau Benite. I like La Fin, so I am excited to try this one.

Milchjon

It's a very bitter IPA, so if that's your thing, go for it.

Liked it a lot.

There's a distinct lack of IPAs/Pale Ales on the German market. I just love them. Could smell them all day.

Also had a Sam Adam's Lager for nostalgia's sake, only to find out it was brewed under license in the UK. WTF, is Sam Adam's really that big?

They had something called Evil Twin Hipster Ale at tonight's tasting session. The guy who poured it out said it was very similar to Zombie Dust. Can anyone corroborate that statement? Thought it was pretty good myself, enjoyed the Lil B imperial porter too, was nice and chocolatey

Didn't know that JZ was that into internet memes. I've had Evil Twin at a beer fest and it was excellent. Not sure what the imperial porter was.

Today I enjoyed: 2011-2013 Bigfoot. That beer is exponentially better after a year and sublime after 2. No one should drink that beer until it has been sitting for at least a year.

I then proceeded to New Glarus' Serendipity. Best fruit beer I have ever had. Wow

Then a Funkworks TropicKing. Great, but not up there with the previous. Off now to beer darts with Old Milwaukee and homebrew, pic to be added upon the morrow.

TheExodu5

Banned
Up tonight is Simple Malt Scotch Ale (not my pic, phone is dead again):

7be33ec81eb358079cfa97f69cec5d29_320x320.jpg

Honestly it looks like a stout more than anything. I've never had any Scottish ale other than Innis & Gunn, and this one is pretty different. I guess I'd describe it as a stout, minus the usual coffee aroma.

I really, really love this beer. The aroma is heavy with brown sugar and roasted malt, which is right up my alley. There's a bit of buttery richness in there as well, and just maybe a hint of bitter chocolate. The taste nearly matches the aroma, though with a touch of bitterness to balance it very nicely. Not too sweet. At 8.6% I can barely taste the alcohol.

This one is going on my list of favorites.

My housemate was at a speciality store and picked me up a bunch of things including Allagash Curieux, which I mentioned because I saw it in this thread a few days ago. We just split it, and I think it was probably the best beer I've ever had. We definitely need more like that.

Where do you guys stand on Ommegang? About to crack into some Hennepin and play Witcher 2.
I live relatively near the brewery and every store around here carries it, so I've had a fair amount of Ommegang. It's all very good. I really like their regular eponymous beer.

It is always like that. Cheaper where you live.
That's what I'm saying, even local low end craft beer is 50% more expensive than what you guys seem to pay for premium craft beer. But then, it seems food is comparatively cheap in the US, too.

My housemate was at a speciality store and picked me up a bunch of things including Allagash Curieux, which I mentioned because I saw it in this thread a few days ago. We just split it, and I think it was probably the best beer I've ever had. We definitely need more like that.
Awesome to hear, I have (hopefully it made it!) a bottle which has been flown to me in Australia from San Francisco just this weekend (along with a Russian River Consecration).

Didn't know that JZ was that into internet memes. I've had Evil Twin at a beer fest and it was excellent. Not sure what the imperial porter was.

Today I enjoyed: 2011-2013 Bigfoot. That beer is exponentially better after a year and sublime after 2. No one should drink that beer until it has been sitting for at least a year.

I then proceeded to New Glarus' Serendipity. Best fruit beer I have ever had. Wow

Then a Funkworks TropicKing. Great, but not up there with the previous. Off now to beer darts with Old Milwaukee and homebrew, pic to be added upon the morrow.

The imperial porter was called Lil' B. Probably gonna grab a case of that next time as I was very pleased with the rich taste. And are you referring to an aged bottle of Sierra Nevada's Big Foot?

Picked up some Founder's Breakfast Stout and Firewalker's Union Jack. Looking forward to crackin into the Union Jack later. Loved the Breakfast Stout, very noticeable dark chocolate and coffee taste with a really strong nose.

Yes Boss!

That's what I'm saying, even local low end craft beer is 50% more expensive than what you guys seem to pay for premium craft beer. But then, it seems food is comparatively cheap in the US, too.

Awesome to hear, I have (hopefully it made it!) a bottle which has been flown to me in Australia from San Francisco just this weekend (along with a Russian River Consecration)

True, but you guys probably have something else that is cheaper than us...maybe your quality wines are mad inexpensive or something!

Anyways, cool you got a Consecration coming. Last fall I was at Russian River and got a flight and it was easily my favorite. Pretty damn drunk that night so everything started tasting the same. Somehow ended up at Bear Republic afterwards and I don't even remember what we drank there.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth

Just to be clear Evil Twin Brewing is a brewery from Denmark. Heretic Brewing Evil Twin is a beer made in California.

SummitAve

Banned
cane-and-ebel.jpg

I think I would enjoy this a lot more when it's nice and hot out. Sweet, but not too sweet because of the 7% abv with a nice red malty rye finish. Still trying to wrap my head around trying to describe the taste of rye to customers who may never have had a rye beer before...shall contemplate over the rest of the 6 pack tonight!

Also had a chance to try the new Surly OverRated West Coast IPA. It was milder than I was expecting. Only got a little taste thought.

Riptwo

Meant to post this earlier, but I haven't had much time to play with it.

Best gift ever for the summer: The Kirin Frozen Beer Foam maker! Mmmmmmm...frosty beer...

This is really intriguing. What's the overall verdict, and where does one acquire this spaceage wondermachine?

Jamesways

cane-and-ebel.jpg

I think I would enjoy this a lot more when it's nice and hot out. Sweet, but not too sweet because of the 7% abv with a nice red malty rye finish. Still trying to wrap my head around trying to describe the taste of rye to customers who may never have had a rye beer before...shall contemplate over the rest of the 6 pack tonight!

Also had a chance to try the new Surly OverRated West Coast IPA. It was milder than I was expecting. Only got a little taste thought.

I saw this at Surdyks, my local shop, the other day. Haven't tried it yet.

Do you ever get to NE by chance? I can't recommend Dangerous Man Brewing enough. Relatively new place down 13th and University, right by Anchor Fish and Chips.
Incredible beers. Bought a growler of their Coconut Milk Stout just the other night.

The tap room is really nice. Currently have an IPA, Rye Ale, Belgian Strong, Coffee Porter, Coconut Milk Stout, and a Cream Ale on tap.

http://dangerousmanbrewing.wordpress.com/

Just had an awesome after hiking brewery trip to:

The Bruery in Orange County, CA!

They had a huge (and bizarre) selection of golden ales, stouts and funky, funky fruit beers. Stole this picture from someone else's trip, but their samplers are ace.

utCqckv.jpg

Got a sweet t-shirt too to add to my collection. :)

Where do you guys stand on Ommegang? About to crack into some Hennepin and play Witcher 2.

Good stuff. Would drink again!

This is really intriguing. What's the overall verdict, and where does one acquire this spaceage wondermachine?

My first attempt didn't work out so well, but what I did manage was pretty tasty. Once I master it my summer will be complete. To acquire this rare and fascinating machine, however, Kirin was offering these personal makers only as very limited promotion prizes. I have no idea how my colleague in Japan managed it, but he ended up with 3(!) and was kind enough to ship one to both my boss and I since we're such beer nuts. You may be able to find one online or if you have a Japanese community where you live, they might be featuring these this summer. They're all the rage right now in Japan. :)

Arrived this morning!
1ca268dca56311e2aeed22000a9f13be_6.jpg

Allagash Curieux. Nice choice. Recommend Tripel Karmeliet as well if you haven't tried it!

Yes Boss!

Just had an awesome after hiking brewery trip to:

The Bruery in Orange County, CA!

They had a huge (and bizarre) selection of golden ales, stouts and funky, funky fruit beers. Stole this picture from someone else's trip, but their samplers are ace.

utCqckv.jpg

Got a sweet t-shirt too to add to my collection. :)

That is awesome! I'm from Orange County (Laguna) and I fully plan on hitting the Bruery up when I'm home for christmas to visit the family. That and Green Flash in San Diego. My brother told me about both breweries last year so I've been trying different stuff from them.

That is awesome! I'm from Orange County (Laguna) and I fully plan on hitting the Bruery up when I'm home for christmas to visit the family. That and Green Flash in San Diego. My brother told me about both breweries last year so I've been trying different stuff from them.

Very cool place. They had the beers going with huge open windows and live feeds showing the brewing process, BYOF, games for you to play, a photo booth thingy, etc., etc. Really classy and well put together place. Adult playground for sure. ^_^

When you're in that area I will have to stress this order of events leading up to your trip to the Bruery and after:

1) 2-3 hour hike in the Santiago Oaks Park (very, very close)
2) Beers at The Bruery
3) Dinner at Mas' Chinese (Islamic Chinese and it's effin' amazing)
4) Bootlegger's Brewery (another local place super close. Not as classy as the Bruery, but a fun stop)

PG2G

I hear a lot about Societe in SD. I think it was started by former Bruery employees, might be working checking out. I don't believe they are bottling anything yet.

Top Bottom