• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Beer |OT|

I spent the last weekend trying to find a place in the Bay area that could order some beer from my hometown in Nebraska for me. Sadly, I don't think that's gonna happen ever gonna happen out here. :/

I'm headed to Omaha in June to visit my in-laws. What do you want? Granted, I'm in Seattle but would be willing to help you out in some sort of mail set up.

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate
I'm headed to Omaha in June to visit my in-laws. What do you want? Granted, I'm in Seattle but would be willing to help you out in some sort of mail set up.

Naw it's all good man, don't worry about it. I'll be back in the midwest by July anyhow, I'll just snag some then. Was looking for some stuff from Empyrean in Lincoln.

HiResDes

I bought a 4-pack of Trois Pistoles yesterday but haven't had any yet. I must say, I really like the artwork. Not particularly eye-catching, but it's pretty cool.

The beer itself is an even greater piece of art, arguably one of the greatest pieces in fact.

C3EE885F-FBFD-4D91-A3AB-194CA99B0D70-14141-0000049BF9440B46_zps97134370.jpg

My favorite at the moment

ianswoody

Nebraska love! I miss Burning Skye and Luna Sea for sure. I also miss $2 pints working at the Upstream in Omaha... And don't even get me started on Hopluia!

codhand

Redhook-Black-Lobstah-Lager1-690x508.jpg

bought this for five bucks on recommendation of the store, not a fan of red hook typically, or meat in beer, but i am a fan of weird, so for $5 what the hell...

Nebraska love! I miss Burning Skye and Luna Sea for sure. I also miss $2 pints working at the Upstream in Omaha... And don't even get me started on Hopluia!

I think Empyrean is probably the strongest local beer around here, along with Nebraska Brewing Company (although I refuse to pay $20 for a bomber of beer that is less than $4/pint in the brewpub). It may not be the most interesting, but at least it's consistant. Lucky Bucket is horrible in that you never know what a given 6 pack will taste like and I think their lager has a weird peanut butter off flavor (though I've heard they've been getting better, I haven't been bothered to check). Hopluia is the same as far as inconsistency goes, you just never know what you are getting.

I enjoy Upstream, but the staff has been so awful the last couple times I went I'm not sure if I care to frequent the place anymore.

There's some of their stuff here in Iowa, although I haven't had any.

Have you tried any of the Okoboji beer? I had a taster of their brown at a beerfest and it was hands down the most fowl beer I have ever had the mispleasure of tasting. I'm not sure if it was a bad batch or what, but I will never have any more of their beer until someone can convince me otherwise.

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate

Yeah man. My dad and I love Burning Skye and I love their Chaco Canyon Gold (dat honey!)

I think Empyrean is probably the strongest local beer around here, along with Nebraska Brewing Company (although I refuse to pay $20 for a bomber of beer that is less than $4/pint in the brewpub). It may not be the most interesting, but at least it's consistant. Lucky Bucket is horrible in that you never know what a given 6 pack will taste like and I think their lager has a weird peanut butter off flavor (though I've heard they've been getting better, I haven't been bothered to check). Hopluia is the same as far as inconsistency goes, you just never know what you are getting.

I enjoy Upstream, but the staff has been so awful the last couple times I went I'm not sure if I care to frequent the place anymore.

For sure.

There's some of their stuff here in Iowa, although I haven't had any.

You should get some. I've gotten some as far away as the Black Hills in South Dakota, but even then it was just like one or two styles.

The one thing I've noticed at Greater Omaha area breweries is this: They don't really get the whole beer culture thing. Upstream and Nebraska Brewing Company both make great beers, but their restaurants don't really give off a "we really love and care about beer" vibe. It's probably just my PNW-er perspective, but NBC feels like a Applebees that happens to make good beer. Upstream is nicer, but still has the same "oh yeah, we've got brewers that love the beer they make, but those of us working here don't really give a shit."

I had a St. Bernardus Abt. 12 for the first time in a long while on Saturday. I forgot how damn good that beer is. The best part was that I'd never had a draft of it before, until then. OMG the draft is like ten times better than the bottle, it's insane.

Also, it's Saison season again! Wooooo. I picked myself up a case of Yard's Saison tuesday.

n0n44m

I got this basket of Belgian beers some time ago, which I've been slowly going through. The final bottle was a Duchesse de Bourgogne, which I've never heard of. Damn ... almost tasted like wine. Was NOT expecting that...

So as a guy who rather drinks Westmalle Tripel or La Chouffe instead of wine, I guess sour ales are not for me lol.

So this is today's "unexpected" pickup. Originally I just wanted two of the imperial stouts, one for replacing the one I had the other day and another to take home and share with my brother. But then I saw the huge Maredsous bottles, and it was a good price so I picked up two. I've only had Maredsous 6 before, how does the 8 compare? I'm also thinking of maybe letting them age for a while, is that a good or bad idea?

dekline

I found a single six pack of dancing man wheat stashed away on the shelves. Probably the best hefeweizen I've ever had. Packs quite a punch for a hefe as well at 7.2% abv.

i1lRiVJnuHozY.jpg

I got this basket of Belgian beers some time ago, which I've been slowly going through. The final bottle was a Duchesse de Bourgogne, which I've never heard of. Damn ... almost tasted like wine. Was NOT expecting that...

So as a guy who rather drinks Westmalle Tripel or La Chouffe instead of wine, I guess sour ales are not for me lol.

I wouldn't judge all sours based on Duchesse. I find it to have a pretty strong acedic character that makes it a bit too much like salad dressing. Try St. Louis Gueuze Fond Tradition, Lindemans Gueuze Cuvée René, both of which should be pretty easy to find and relatively inexpensive. They are not as complex as some of the really good sour stuff out there, but easy to find and consistent.

mcfrank

I wouldn't judge all sours based on Duchesse. I find it to have a pretty strong acedic character that makes it a bit too much like salad dressing. Try St. Louis Gueuze Fond Tradition, Lindemans Gueuze Cuvée René, both of which should be pretty easy to find and relatively inexpensive. They are not as complex as some of the really good sour stuff out there, but easy to find and consistent.

Agreed (though I love duchess). Sours is a big category with many different flavor profiles. A sour blonde or American Wild is going to be totally different from a duchess.

tokkun

I found a single six pack of dancing man wheat stashed away on the shelves. Probably the best hefeweizen I've ever had. Packs quite a punch for a hefe as well at 7.2% abv.

Dancing Man is one of my favorites. It really hides the alcohol well, too.

TheExodu5

Banned
Scaldis is the beer I'll be having tonight. At 11.8%, it should be interesting. It will be the second strongest beer I've had, after Samichlaus.

Fremont has some merlot barrel aged The Sister Imperial IPA on tap at the brewery right now. Nice red wine and oak notes that accentuate the awesome grain and hop bill of the beer.

TheExodu5

Banned
Scaldis is pretty good. It's actually remarkably similar to Samichlaus. I'd say it has a very similar aroma and taste, simply toned down by a good amount. Not quite as good though...it lacks the roasted grainy notes present in the Samichlaus. The sweetness is also far lower. Good stuff though, I'd definitely buy this again. For an 11.8% beer, it's very drinkable, moreso than the Samichlaus.

edit: my afterthoughts, I'd say it's a bit too boozy considering the flavor. While the Samichlaus was boozy, the flavor and aroma it boasted were incredibly rich. Here, the booziness overpowers it a tad. That hurts its lasting impression.

We've been getting tons of Sierra Nevada stuff lately here. Picked up an Ovila for tonight. Surprisingly decent quad, especially for the price! It's not Reverend, but it's certainly something I'll pick up again.

Bigfoot

I had a St. Bernardus Abt. 12 for the first time in a long while on Saturday. I forgot how damn good that beer is. The best part was that I'd never had a draft of it before, until then. OMG the draft is like ten times better than the bottle, it's insane.
I love St. Bernardus Abt. 12. It would be in my Top 5 beers list. Never had it on tap though.

I picked up a Huckleberry wheat beer tonight. I hope to try it tommorow. I like fruit beers but they can be hit or miss.

Local bar around here has Abt 12 on tap most of the year. $6.25 / 10-12 oz pour (however big St. Bernardus glasses are) or so I think. Always a good choice.

TheExodu5

Banned
This is what I'll be trying tonight (random Google image search):

hibernusheader.jpg

Very anxious to try this one. It seemed appropriate as we just got a bunch of snow today and the label on the back says this beer is to fight off the never ending winter. Will report my impressions later.

Retro

Finally found a decent liquor store in my area with lots of craft brews. Most of the places around here are packed with nothing but piss, slop and foam (Bud, Miller, Coors, etc.) and maybe the occasional, local craft beer. Which is normally fine, since Dogfish Head happens to be local, but I've been wanting to explore the wonderful world of Beer for a while now... though on that note, their import section seems so-so. I dunno what I'm expecting when I go into these places anyways.

Grabbed a 6 pack of my current favorite (DFH Indian Brown Ale) since I just want to relax this weekend with something familiar and awesome... but I took a look at their selection for future purchases.

I've had GAF recommend me some Belgian Whites in the past based on my flavor preferences, but in my quick check (it didn't appear to have any organization, alphabetical or even regional would have been nice), all I could find was Allagash and Blue Moon. I've heard Blue Moon is kind of awful, but that's coming from tasteless people who are content to grab a case of Miller and be done with it.

So, what say ye, GAF Kings of Good Cheer? This is in America and imports are going to be few and far between, which of the two would you recommend for next time, and feel free to add any recommendations you think might be available that I can look for / ask for.

Minus_Me

I come from Montreal and have never heard of these before.

Molson Golden bt 6 pk 12 oz
Molson Ice bt 6 pk

Seems like a good place.

HiResDes

Indeed: http://www.premierwinespirits.com/Limestone/Beer.html

I can tell you that list is incomplete though (and they say as much on the site), because I specifically saw stuff like Chimay in there (GAF previously recommended Chimay Grande Reserve, so I always look for it), a few others I know aren't on the list (Hobgoblin, etc.).

Well you said they had Allagash, definitely get that. Chimay Blue is fantastic as well. Also Delirium Tremens. Dead Guy Ale is also pretty easy to drink, but I'd put it after all of those.

Top Bottom