• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Beer |OT|

tokkun

WorriedCitizen said:
But be aware that even if you can purchase one of these beers they will probvably not taste as good as they are supposed to. Long travel is bad for beer.

Eh, I buy plenty of other imports anyway, like Unibroue, Duvel, Chimay, Weihenstephan, et al. Also, I live in the Midwest, so even the stuff from East and West coast microbrewers is probably not ultra-fresh by the time I buy it, let alone drink it.

Thanks for the recommendations, though.

HappyBivouac said:
We're not talking about perilous sailing voyages across the Atlantic over the course of months and months here... beer is a drink that's made to hold up.

Still for some reason imported beer never tastes the same as it would taste in the country of origin. So the comparisons are always flawed. As i said even Czech beer in Germany tastes very different and from me its only like 80km to the border. And i have tasted Czech, German or Dutch beers when i was abroad in other countries. It always tastes different and not quite as good.

tokkun

WorriedCitizen said:
Still for some reason imported beer never tastes the same as it would taste in the country of origin. So the comparisons are always flawed. As i said even Czech beer in Germany tastes very different and from me its only like 80km to the border. And i have tasted Czech, German or Dutch beers when i was abroad in other countries. It always tastes different and not quite as good.

Are you talking about bottles vs bottles or bottles vs taps?

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Köstritzer Schwarzbier is nice. There is a place relatively close to my house that has it on tap, and I can find for a good price in bottle form as well. It's definitely one of my favorite dark beers that isn't a stout or porter.

164152_10150139758118712_136444978711_8061542_1055_n.jpg

Lucille IPA is one of my favorite local beers. Always nice to see it on tap.

Two Beers Winter Hop is a fantastic winter beer.

Lenny's RIPA sounds interesting. Double IPA brewed with Rye.

Looks like I know where I'm going on Friday night with the wife.

distantmantra said:
Lucille IPA is one of my favorite local beers. Always nice to see it on tap.

Two Beers Winter Hop is a fantastic winter beer.

Lenny's RIPA sounds interesting. Double IPA brewed with Rye.

Looks like I know where I'm going on Friday night with the wife.

I'm really beginning to dislike you and your chalkboards full of interesting beers that I cannot enjoy...

sharkmuncher said:
I'm really beginning to dislike you and your chalkboards full of interesting beers that I cannot enjoy...

It's just my neighborhood pub. Pretty damn brilliant that I can walk there in less than five minutes. :D

Come to Seattle sometime.

Balya

distantmantra said:
Pretty damn brilliant that I can walk there in less than five minutes. :D

I'm the same distance from mine, but the best thing we have is Racer 5. I've asked around about Pliny the Elder and no one's even heard of that shit here, even though Russian River Brewing Co. is only 80 miles away. :lol

tokkun

This is the current tap list from my favorite bar within walking distance of work:

BELGIUM

Brouwkot Netebuk* $7
From a very small Belgian brewery, a blond ale with carefully chosen hops which makes for a nice flow of bitterness in the palate. 6.5% ABV

Duchesse De Bourgogne $7
This traditional Reddish-brown sour ale from the West-Flanders region of Belgium is a blend of 8 and 18 months old ales following careful maturation in oak casks. 6% ABV

Dupont Avec les Bons Voeux* $7
"Les Bons Voeux" means best wishes, which is what Brasserie Dupont sends with this very special saison ale brewed only for the holidays. Redolently aromatic, rich and velvety, this is an ale to toast the season. 9.5% ABV

Lindemans Peche Lambic $6.50
Golden in color, with a nose that fills the room with fresh peaches. Sparkling, crisp and refreshing. 4% ABV

Scaldis Noel* (6oz) $5.50
A sweet beer with a pleasant flavor of hops. The brewer uses a traditional process which consists in placing hops flowers in the vats where the beer rests for four to six weeks by which time it will have reached full maturity, giving it a very distinctive taste. 12% ABV

St. Bernardus Abt 12 $8
We sell so much, this has become our “house” beer. Richly textured brown ale, Smooth, creamy and full bodied with A big richness of texture that is almost oily and very assertive, like a warming coconut brandy. 10.5% ABV

St. Bernardus Christmas $8
deep dark color, with a creamy, thick head and a full, almost velvety taste and fruity nose. The long winter nights are perfect moments to savor this ale with friends and to enjoy its unique, complex taste. 10% ABV

Wittekerke $5
This beer charms you with its smooth taste and a unique delicious aroma. crisp and refreshing. 5% ABV

NETHERLANDS

La Trappe Dubbel* $6.50
Discover this genuine dark Trappist beer with a gentle flavor, creamy head and pronounced bouquet. 7% ABV

NORWAY

Nogne O Winter Ale* $8
A dark ale brewed specially for the Christmas season, with a rich, complex taste of caramel. This is a strong, dark and rather sweet Beer 8.5% ABV

NORTH AMERICA

Jolly Pumpkin Noel De Calabaza*
Dexter, Michigan $8
Belgian Christmas ale aged in oak barrels. Deep mahogany and malty, layered hops, figs, raisins, sugar plums, cashews betwixt rum laden truffles.
9% ABV

Ommegang Adoration*
Cooperstown, New York $6.50
Ale brewed with Spices: Coriander, Cardamon, Mace, Grains of Paradise, Sweet Orange Peel. A traditional winter ale, brewed in the Belgian manner, but with the twist of unusual spicing. Sip it on a winter eve and You’ll understand why we couldn’t name it anything else. 10% ABV

SouthernTier OldMan Winter*
Lakewood, New York $5
A rich and complex amalgam of hops and barley with a nice richness, that will put the feeling back in your toes and lift your spirits above the snow. 7.2% ABV

Summit Pumpkin Porter*
St. Paul, Minnesota $5
The fifth beer in summit’s Unchained Series. A dark, chocolaty, full bodied beer with a slight bitter after taste. Evenly spiced with a hint of pumpkin, you would think you were sitting down for dessert. 7.5% ABV

The nice thing is that they rotate in new taps very frequently. All the starred beers are ones that are being offered for the first time. I also love reading the descriptions they write.

tokkun

Man, I made a resolution back in September to not buy any more beer until 2011, but this thread is sorely tempting me.

gcubed said:
i usually either end up at eulogy or beneluxx, can't beat it. If i leave my quaint local iron hill.

I actually tend to avoid beer bars if I can because I blow way too much money in them. I try to find cheap mix-a-six (hard in PA, obviously) or buy cases. Typically I just drink lager/Yards at the neighborhood bar if I go out, because it's cheap :lol

AbortedWalrusFetus said:
I actually tend to avoid beer bars if I can because I blow way too much money in them. I try to find cheap mix-a-six (hard in PA, obviously) or buy cases. Typically I just drink lager/Yards at the neighborhood bar if I go out, because it's cheap :lol

I only have one or two beers when go out, and it's always with a meal.

tokkun

So I broke down and bought a 4-pack of New Glarus's Apple Ale, since their Cranberry Ale sold out so quickly last year.

Normally I'm not a big fan of fruit beers - I think their Cherry Stout is pretty overrated - but I really enjoyed the Apple Ale. Unlike other fruit beers, this one is not cloying, just the right mixture of sweet and tart.

TaeOH

Currently enjoying this...Flying Dog K9 Cruiser Winter Ale
IMG_3371.jpg

Quite nice. I love Winter Ale's.

First beer pic upload, did not realize I had the label turned.

IMAG0037.jpg

Not the best picture, but starting the evening out with one of my Chai Brown ales. I really enjoy it although I have to work on my chai spice a bit. Too much cinnamon comes through, but its definitely something I am going to brew until I get it right. The chai flavors go exceptionally well with a bigger beer like this.

Also, bottling a chocolate porter this weekend weekend! (actually any homebrewers here ever made Papazian's Goat Scrotum Ale? it's that)
IMAG0038.jpg

AndresON777

shooting blanks
As an alcoholic I approve of this thread. my fav beer as far as taste would be belgium's Corsendonk.

If I want to get hammered I'd go with la fin du monde from frnce. I make sure They're cold I'm not down with warm euro shit beer.

D

Deleted member 8095

Unconfirmed Member
I designed a label for my Dad's homebrew beer operation and I'm going to print them and give them to him as a Christmas present. I'll take a pic once we have it on a bottle.

sharkmuncher said:
Not the best picture, but starting the evening out with one of my Chai Brown ales. I really enjoy it although I have to work on my chai spice a bit. Too much cinnamon comes through, but its definitely something I am going to brew until I get it right. The chai flavors go exceptionally well with a bigger beer like this.

Also, bottling a chocolate porter this weekend weekend! (actually any homebrewers here ever made Papazian's Goat Scrotum Ale? it's that)

Oh man I've got a chai brew planned. No recipe yet though, I just know I'm gonna do it. I was just planning on making a large quantity of chai iced tea and using that for the water. I've found that brewing with cinnamon is dangerous. Plan on doing a chocolate oatmeal stout and a green tea/toasted rice beer before I tackle the chai beer.

Wow that Infinium is the definition of a good-looking beer. I love that color. How was the head on it when first poured?

HappyBivouac said:
Oh man I've got a chai brew planned. No recipe yet though, I just know I'm gonna do it. I was just planning on making a large quantity of chai iced tea and using that for the water. I've found that brewing with cinnamon is dangerous. Plan on doing a chocolate oatmeal stout and a green tea/toasted rice beer before I tackle the chai beer.

Wow that Infinium is the definition of a good-looking beer. I love that color. How was the head on it when first poured?
About the chai beer, what I would recommend is steeping spices in water to make a "tea" and then dumping that in at the end of the boil. The info I found on chai beer all seemed to recommend not using any extract with black tea as it has a tendency to make the beer bitter in a bad way. I can give you the spice list I used if you are interested.

As far as the infinium, that was pretty much right after I poured it. I did a really gentle pour because I was expecting a Belgian type level of carbonation, but that didn't really happen at all. It was a great beer though. Tastes like the most delicate barley-wine you have ever had.

Currently drinking "Hollyrood" by Stewart Brewing from Edinburgh.

Awarded Worlds Best Pale Ale in the blonde/golden category.

It is delicious.

6186-3.jpg

There is something special about drinking a beer that was brewed only a few miles from your home. :)

tokkun

HappyBivouac said:
Anyone ever thought of homebrewing alcoholic root beer?

Because I totally want to do that.

Sprecher, the makers of the best root beer I have tasted, were experimenting with an alcoholic root beer when I toured their brewery about 2 or 3 years ago. I don't know if it ever came to market.

It was pretty good. They were only brewing it at 3% abv, though, which kind of made it worthless since you would need to drink like 1000 calories worth just to get a buzz.

Just had Great White and I'm sipping on Pacifico right now (yes I am young). I absolutely love Great White while Pacifico is definitely a good beer.

Edit: Hell I think most of the beers I've had from Lost Coast Brewery are really good. And its pretty local for me too.

D

Deleted member 8095

Unconfirmed Member
Alright, here is the label I designed for my dad's garage beer operation. I'm giving it to him as a Christmas gift and I can't wait until he sees it. He loves WW2 planes, our last name is Brown and he works in the town paper mill.
6cce623f.jpg

Talon

tokkun said:
Sprecher, the makers of the best root beer I have tasted, were experimenting with an alcoholic root beer when I toured their brewery about 2 or 3 years ago. I don't know if it ever came to market.

It was pretty good. They were only brewing it at 3% abv, though, which kind of made it worthless since you would need to drink like 1000 calories worth just to get a buzz.
I actually had a bottle of this given to me as a gift last year. Delicious stuff. I find root beer to be too sweet so that subdued alcohol bite at the end was nice.

Unfortunately they stopped brewing it just a few months later for some reason.

I had a Southern Tier Crème brûlée Stout tonight and wow, it was fantastic.

Just by the smell I knew it was going to be great. It was sweet, creamy, vanilla, toffee...honestly it tastes just like Crème brûlée. I heartily recommend it.

tumblr_ld590aJMNT1qe1ga9o1_500.jpg

Big-E

Tried the Rogue Dead Guy Ale for the first time yesterday in China of all places. Was O.. might have another tonight but it didn't really blow me away. Overseas shipping probably fucks it up a lot.

HiResDes

Big-E said:
Tried the Rogue Dead Guy Ale for the first time yesterday in China of all places. Was O.. might have another tonight but it didn't really blow me away. Overseas shipping probably fucks it up a lot.

This is what I thought about it:

HiResDes said:
Okay before I make this post, let me just say how much I've loved every other Rogue beer I've tried and I'm not trying to be contrarian whatsoever

Rogue Dead Guy Ale - Scent smelled very promising, near-hickory, malty, and dare I say somewhat sweet. I poured a little of it out of the bottle to see that it was much darker than I expected, almost like burnt orange. When I first tasted it I didn't really notice anything special whatsoever, but I could at least tell that it was extremely drinkable and very malty. And as I kept drinking them, they went down very easy the flavors started to come out a bit more. I could taste the hops quite well but still I didn't find anything particularly special about this beer. I have to say I think I'd rather have a Shiner Bock, as I found the flavors to be somewhat comparable. Overall this beer completely bored me, especially in comparison to Rogue's other offerings. And at ten bucks a sixpack, I don't think I'll be trying it again unless someone else offers.

D

Deleted member 8095

Unconfirmed Member
Dead Guy is one of those ones that I really like on tap but never buy it in the bottle because it doesn't taste as good. Same with Fat Tire.

I had my first Becks the other day, and i have to say I really really enjoyed it. Probably the best beer i have had in a long time.

Have any of you guys tried the light or dark versions of it? Or any other version for that matter?

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
distantmantra said:

Jolly Roger is a damn good Christmas Ale. It's definitely my favorite so far this year. I had a six-pack about a month ago, and last week I decided to stock up just to be safe and picked up five six-packs! :lol

Does Maritime Pacific make anything else? They're local to Seattle, right?

Hop Henge is also pretty amazing. It's not bitter at all for an IPA. I didn't think Deschutes could do better than Hop Trip, which I love, but Hop Henge was far better in my opinion. Unfortunately the store I found it at only had one bottle. I'm going to have to go searching for some more! As a fellow Seattleite, please tell me where you found it!

Siebzehn50 said:
I had a Southern Tier Crème brûlée Stout tonight and wow, it was fantastic.

Just by the smell I knew it was going to be great. It was sweet, creamy, vanilla, toffee...honestly it tastes just like Crème brûlée. I heartily recommend it.

tumblr_ld590aJMNT1qe1ga9o1_500.jpg

I was looking for this in Ontario and each bottle (650ml) is $9.60.

How much is it down in the States?

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
sweetvar26 said:
I was looking for this in Ontario and each bottle (650ml) is $9.60.

How much is it down in the States?

Most of Southern Tier's brews go for around $8 - $12 here in Seattle from what I've seen. I've only tried their Pumking, which was $10, I think.

ST Creme Brulee is one of the most fantastic and memorable beers I've ever had. I love Southern Tier's approach to so many of their beers. Oddly enough though I wasn't overly impressed with the Pumking. I fond it to be all sweetness and no spice.

Phobophile

A scientist and gentleman in the manner of Batman.
sharkmuncher said:
Just finished bottling my 3rd 5 gal. batch in 3 days. I really need a kegging setup...

Kegging is overrated. Used Corny kegs are a pain in the ass to get pressurized. Usually the lids fit on only in one direction, it takes up to 3 days to get the volumes of CO2 completely dissolved, and it's a pain in the ass to give out my beer to friends if it's kegged.

Top Bottom