• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Beer |OT|

DrM

Redmond's Baby
Been experimenting with wheat beer in last few weeks. It is good, strong taste, but the best part is that one is more than enough for me :)

Paulaner-Hefe-Weizen-Can.jpg

Yeah I'm not sure if the head is normally like that but it died down quickly. I have to say that was probably one of my favorites thus far. Definitely favorite in that style. More of a stout guy normally.

We've all been there.

I went to the commons taproom this evening. That urban farmhouse ale is great, but I think the flemish kiss was my favorite of what I tried (kolsch, flemish kiss, stout, gose, and farmhouse ale). Something about smelling the pear/bourbon and seeing the color of the beer really made me happy and felt autumn-ish.

YbxWkub.jpg

L 2 R - urban farmhouse ale, flemish kiss, stout, gose

I really hope The Commons brews Eidolon again. It was incredible.

We're starting to get their bottles in Seattle (Flemish Kiss, Madrone, Urban Farmhouse), much nicer than having to wait for an Oregon road trip.

codhand

had pumpking, expected it to be too sweet based on creme brulee and others,

it wasn't, it was actually really tasty and not overly spiced

not for everyone, but i think i had the right expectation

-PXG-

This is the OT, so vidya is lame.

5RzCYRs.jpg

But look at dat beer. Just came in today. Might stock up on more...My mug is chillin in my freezer right now. Waiting for these bad boys to get to the perfect temp :)

fijim

Banned
The last few days:

Stille Nacht is a great Belgian Strong Pale Ale, a bit more fruity than most and the ABV is hidden well. I still prefer Duvel or Delirium.

Petrus Aged Pale is very good, better than the Oud Bruin. The Aged Pale has a good amount of carbonation and just the right amount of sourness, easy to drink.

Zwanze Day is nigh.

Psyched.

Yeah I'm really excited. Nearby bar had a sour event over the weekend so I got to revisit Cantillon Gueuze and try a 2010 Boon lambic (which was really intense/leathery but glad I got to try it).

Have a bottle of Punkin waiting for me at home so it'll be fun to taste that again. Anybody here had Prairie Bomb? The same bar has it on tap and maybe still in bottles, worth the price?

tjUIrAY.jpg

Tasted this at the Beerfest on Saturday, and this is my first time seeing it in the wild. SOOOOOOO GOOD. Not a big pumpkin fan (usually so sweet), but the spice and smokey flavor on this is sublime. Hunt it down if you can. Truly fantastic.

PG2G

Anybody here had Prairie Bomb? The same bar has it on tap and maybe still in bottles, worth the price?

Prairie Bomb sold out within hours at most of the local liquor stores (only received one case). I managed to grab one but haven't opened it up yet.

Rei_Toei

Fclvat sbe Pnanqn, ru?
The last few days:

Stille Nacht is a great Belgian Strong Pale Ale, a bit more fruity than most and the ABV is hidden well. I still prefer Duvel or Delirium.

Petrus Aged Pale is very good, better than the Oud Bruin. The Aged Pale has a good amount of carbonation and just the right amount of sourness, easy to drink.

Nice! The Petrus beers are sold dirt cheap here. I recently saw them in the Lidl and assumed it would be a cheap stab at quality beer, so it's nice to know it's good stuff, not like the Piedboeuf Triple stuff out there.

fijim

Banned
Nice! The Petrus beers are sold dirt cheap here. I recently saw them in the Lidl and assumed it would be a cheap stab at quality beer, so it's nice to know it's good stuff, not like the Piedboeuf Triple stuff out there.

Yeah for sure pick up the Aged Pale. I hear the Aged Red is pretty good but I haven't tried it. I would skip the Oud Bruin personally.

belvedere

Junior Butler
Tasted this at the Beerfest on Saturday, and this is my first time seeing it in the wild. SOOOOOOO GOOD. Not a big pumpkin fan (usually so sweet), but the spice and smokey flavor on this is sublime. Hunt it down if you can. Truly fantastic.

Had this while brewing our pumpkin ale a couple of weeks ago, easily one of the best pumpkin ales I've ever tasted.

Crosspost from the Seattle thread:

Zwanze Day is Saturday at Brouwers. Doors at 11am, getting in line around 10am. Psyched.

We have amassed 20 or so sour beers for your imbibing pleasure. Due to the nature of this event and the rarity of Zwanze, we anticipate that there will be a line, how early we don’t know. In an effort to reward those of you that line up before the doors open at 11am we are planning on handing out numbered buttons 1-140 (that you can keep) and a raffle ticket that guarantees you the ability to purchase Zwanze when we tap it at noon. The first 3 people in line will receive a special door prize. Please do not cut the line, or hold spaces in line, we will do our best to enforce line cutting, but ask that you be respectful and not engage in this behavior. All the other beers tapped in honor of this event will be available at the time that we open.
At noon when we start pouring Zwanze we will try to deliver them in ascending order to those folks that have a ticket and a button. Please be patient with us.
There will be Zwanze T-shirts and commemorative glassware for sale at this event. Shirts will be $20 and glassware will be $6.
We will be pouring:
Cantillon-- Zwanze
Cantillon --St Gilloise
Cantillon-- Geueze
De Ranke-- XXX Bitter
New Belgium-- La Folie
Port/Lost Abbey—Red Poppy
Port/Lost Abbey—Frambiose De Ambrosa
Russian River—Temptation
Cascade—The Vine
Petrus-- Aged Pale
Snipes-- Quincenera Andrea
Commons/De Garde—Ortucky Common
American Brewing-- Stupid Sexy Flanders
Rodenbach Grand Cru
Bokor Cuvee de Jacobins
Elysian Comtesse
Elysian Krokus
Black Raven --- Corvus Kriekus
Bear Republic—Tartare
And possibly a few others that are yet to be determined…

Zwanze, St. Gilloise, Stupid Sexy Flanders and Ortucky Common for me!

punkin.jpg

Didn't know that there was distribution for this in the Bay Area, so I was pleasantly surprised to see this case hidden behind the rest of the seasonal stuff in BevMo.

xclaw

Can't wait to raid the fall/pumpkin ales this weekend. My absolute favorite time of the year for beer starts now!

Drinking a Prairie Bomb! now and uh damn. This can't possibly be 14%, not even a trace of a burn. Super thick and chewy and just delicious. It's mostly coffee but you can taste the cocoa and vanilla and the slight chile presence just works way too well. I'm normally not that fond of huge stouts (especially when it's hot outside) but this just blew me away. I haven't had a beer that hid its alcohol this well since Kuhnhenn's DRIPA and this is like 5% more.

t-ramp

Drinking a Prairie Bomb! now and uh damn. This can't possibly be 14%, not even a trace of a burn. Super thick and chewy and just delicious. It's mostly coffee but you can taste the cocoa and vanilla and the slight chile presence just works way too well. I'm normally not that fond of huge stouts (especially when it's hot outside) but this just blew me away. I haven't had a beer that hid its alcohol this well since Kuhnhenn's DRIPA and this is like 5% more.
I think we just got some Prairie brews here in Iowa about a week ago. I might swing by the liquor store tomorrow and see if anything is available.

BUAY9jrCUAIKorC.jpg

The haul tonight...

Lucked into the Gotterdammerung. But they had tons of the Fat Jack. Wish it was in a six pack. I am shocked at how much I loved that beer.

terrible

Banned
My pumpkin beer lust will not be satisfied until I get my dirty hands on the oak aged Pumking. I hear it's glorious. One day I'll have to make a trip south of the border when that stuff is still available at bars.

Help me out here. I've never been able to get into beer. Something about the bitterness has always turned me off. I prefer things to be a bit sweeter. Any suggestions for beers I could try?

Help me out here. I've never been able to get into beer. Something about the bitterness has always turned me off. I prefer things to be a bit sweeter. Any suggestions for beers I could try?
Just avoid IPAs for awhile. I really don't know of any good ones to try and learn to like beer, but others might have suggestions. The ones that got me into trying more and liking beer were imperial stouts. The heavier stuff got me going, then I branched from there. For sweeter, some of the fruitier ones could be a good start. Or a good tripel style, as those tend to be sweeter. At least for me.

johnsmith

remember me

Go to a bar, get some Blue Moon. Squeeze some of the orange juice into the glass. Great starter beer.

Or maybe a Samuel Adams Cream Stout. It's dark, but it's sweet.

PG2G

There are a lot of styles that aren't bitter at all. If you can find it, try an Allagash White and if not try one of the more available substitutes (hoegaarden or blue moon).

Avoid any Pale Ales. You can try a Guinness stout or maybe a chocolate or coffee stout, those aren't bitter either.

Help me out here. I've never been able to get into beer.
Well, some things aren't for everyone. But beer has a pretty wide range of styles. Look into beers from small local breweries near you of these styles (in no particular order): sweet stout, Belgian dubbel, wheat beer (aka weissbier), witbier, kriek (not Cantillon!), Flanders red, Berliner weiss. All those are pretty low in bitterness, though the last three are sour so if you don't like sourness avoid those.

Any good beer store will be happy to take your money and steer you in the right direction. I was in Paris over summer and told the owner of a well-known beer shop that I'd never had a good French beer and told him to prove me wrong. He did. Multiple times.

andycapps

Blue Moon is a good suggestion. Shocktops, ciders, Summer Shandy, etc. Also the chocolate and coffee stouts that others have recommended as well.

Jarnet87

I'll have to check the two Total Wines by me after work for the Fat Jack. Ratebeer's distribution/beer finder thingy says one of the stores has it.

Cr0wn0

I saw fat jack today in Mesa AZ total wine. Is it like pumking at all? I picked up green monster today. AZ supposedly got 30 cases total. I was planning on drinking my dissident this weekend but now I'm not sure.
Qs72p80.jpg

I saw fat jack today in Mesa AZ total wine. Is it like pumking at all? I picked up green monster today. AZ supposedly got 30 cases total. I was planning on drinking my dissident this weekend but now I'm not sure.
Qs72p80.jpg

I ended up with three bottles of Green Monster yesterday in Seattle. Do you know the story behind it?

It started out as a batch of Green Lakes Organic Amber. The reason that the base beer went "bad" was because a brewer mashed in un-organic malts therefore voiding the organic certification. So what do you do now? Put it in some French oak and add brett. Voila! Green Monster.

I opened one of my Green Monsters last night. It's pretty nice, excited to see what this baby does with some age on it.

Top Bottom