• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Beer |OT|

codhand

For anyone in North England, there's a Beer Festival next weekend in Leeds

http://www.leedsbeer.com/

ha,
Logo_fullcolour-190x190.jpeg

awesome name.

aceface

Why are they releasing this so early? Season 4 won't air until March or April 2014..

They contracted to do 3 different beers throughout the year. There will be another new one to coincide with season 4's premiere.

Also I got some New England Brewing stuff here in upstate New York (668 the neighbor of the beast is excellent) but I went to visit my brother in CT near Hartford and he had never heard of it and I couldn't find it in any stores near him. He said "it must be a downstate beer," which I guess it is since it's from New Haven. WTF, Connecticut is the size of a postage stamp? I didn't realize there was an upstate and a downstate.

Rei_Toei

Fclvat sbe Pnanqn, ru?
I bought an Estonian Sahti/Koduõlu type beer, Saku Koduõlu. Chilling right now. Curious to find out what happens to beer when you filter it through juniper twigs and use baking yeast.

HiResDes

Gonna try the Stone 17th Anniversary tonight!

Also quick disclaimer DO NOT BUY STEAMPUNK STOUT IT's BAD - The flavor is okay, pretty much tastes like a watered down version of Rogue's Mocha, but it has an acidic mouthfeel and is super watery to boot. HORRID

HiResDes

YES YES!...I forgot to thank you, one of my absolute favorites now! I think I'm gonna stick with an old standby tonight - Duchesse De Bourgogne

Rei_Toei

Fclvat sbe Pnanqn, ru?
I've been drinking Ayinger and Weihenstephaner Vitus the last couple of hours and can't wrap my head around how smooth the former is. Ayinger's fasttracking to about being my favourite weizener.

codhand

I've been drinking Ayinger and Weihenstephaner Vitus the last couple of hours and can't wrap my head around how smooth the former is. Ayinger's fasttracking to about being my favourite weizener.

They both have amazing Octoberfest even if you're not big on the style, but I think weihenstephaner in particular are incapable of making a bad beer

pxleyes

Banned
YYYYYYYEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSSSS

My cousin just texted me that he got me 2 6-packs. Such a nice surprise. Cant wait to have some before the Tennessee game.

9647ba5410b411e3bf9022000a1fb723_7.jpg

Rei_Toei

Fclvat sbe Pnanqn, ru?
They both have amazing Octoberfest even if you're not big on the style, but I think weihenstephaner in particular are incapable of making a bad beer

Haven't had anything from Weihenstephaner that wasn't great indeed. I'll see if I can get some of their festbier.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
had a friend grab me a 6-pack of this in chico, ca. don't think its made it far from the brewery just yet. really delicious stuff (but i love most things SN puts out)

flipside2.png

hipbabboom

Huh? What did I say? Did I screw up again? :(
Hello GAF,
I'm sitting here reading mangas on my tablet while drinking Angry Orchard's Crisp Apple (I've been on a beer-mix bender lately) and I keep thinking to myself:

There's got to be a way to keep bottled beer cool for a while without looking like a total lunatic [read: putting a beer snuggie on my bottle].

I best I can currently due is super-cool the beer but in the current So-Cal whether where the ambient temp. is ~90 degrees Fahrenheit (32.2 Celsius for my cu
te
n
or
t
hern hemisphere friend
s across the pond
...I swear this is the last time I'll use the word so unceremoniously
), this doesn't last long. I'd appreciate any suggestions to keep a bear chilled for at least an hour or two without having to resort to insanity or keeping a bottle in a bucket of ice while you drink (which is quite a mess).

hipbabboom

The solution is to stop nursing your beer and drink it. Also, as it warms, beers typically change their flavor profile and do cool things.

Awww :'(

What's so bad about nursing beer. I really enjoy savoring it and I do like the things it does as it warms but I just hate when the last bit is room temperature. It becomes like a bad end to a great experience.

I didn't want to even consider it since I hate the wetness but if I must go this route, has anyone tried these wine chillers to solve this problem?

Awww :'(

What's so bad about nursing beer. I really enjoy savoring it and I do like the things it does as it warms but I just hate when the last bit is room temperature. It becomes like a bad end to a great experience.
[/URL]

There's a difference between savoring a beer and taking two hours to drink it, that's all. :)

hipbabboom

There's a difference between savoring a beer and taking two hours to drink it, that's all. :)

You could be more gentler when you drop those bombs ;_;

I know I'm the problem... its not like I like being like this :( Ever since I was a kid (from a poor family *sob*), I've conditioned myself to make good things last as long as they can. I knew beer was in danger of being ruined for me the moment I discovered I enjoyed it :(

In a perfect world, drinking beer would be like sex, however, I live in a near-perfect world where I have an uncontrollable urge to prolong one of those experiences :3

Edit: On my second bottle since I started this story... It's a miracle!

aceface

Went down to Ommegang Take the Black stout (second Game of Thrones beer) debut at the brewery today. They had plenty in stock (sorry about the blurry cell phone pic):

Cosplayers they hired who stood around looking serious:

My haul...

Tap for the beer they were selling:

I also had a sample, it's a good earthy stout, 7% abv, nothing mindblowing. Similar to the first GoT beer Iron Throne it doesn't seem as complex as the main Ommegang brews (I'm thinking Three Philosophers or Abbey Ale here) and aimed at more of a mass audience.

In Maui. Coconut porter fresh at the brewery is pretty tasty. Much tastier than the cans we get in California.

Not Kona I assume?

Had a 2013 Dark Lord today. Pretty clear that its reputation has been built when Imperial Stouts were not commonplace. Really sweet and really unimpressive. If you're into bottle trading I would suggest trading away all you have. Waaaaaaaaay too sweet

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
Not Kona I assume?

Had a 2013 Dark Lord today. Pretty clear that its reputation has been built when Imperial Stouts were not commonplace. Really sweet and really unimpressive. If you're into bottle trading I would suggest trading away all you have. Waaaaaaaaay too sweet

No Maui Brewing Company's.

To Zwanze day or not to Zwanze day? Tickets go on sale here in 15 minutes...

Totally to, especially since you can actually buy tickets. Here in Seattle it's a free for all at Brouwers. They open at 11am, so I'll be getting in line between 9:30 and 10 with lots of coffee.

Speaking of Cantillon, Shelton Brothers are coming back to Washington in a couple weeks. So psyched for Crooked Stave, 3F and Prairie Artisan Ales. I still think it will be easier to get Cantillon in Canada than here, even with them back in the state.

PG2G

Totally to, especially since you can actually buy tickets. Here in Seattle it's a free for all at Brouwers. They open at 11am, so I'll be getting in line between 9:30 and 10 with lots of coffee.

Speaking of Cantillon, Shelton Brothers are coming back to Washington in a couple weeks. So psyched for Crooked Stave, 3F and Prairie Artisan Ales. I still think it will be easier to get Cantillon in Canada than here, even with them back in the state.

Sold out too quick, haha. Oh well :p

Awesome that Shelton is coming back. But yeah, I have never seen Cantillon on the shelves here. Local liquor store got a case of Gueuze and St Lamvinus last week but I had already gone home from work so I missed out.

I haven't tried Cantillon but my friend swears that Tilquin is better so I'm not all that hyped up about it anymore. Still gotta try it for myself. If Tilquin/3F are like 98% as good as Cantillon and are readily available I probably won't bother.

Jarnet87

Latest purchase for me was Samuel Smith Organic Chocolate Stout

beer+cooking+073.JPG

Not as good as the Oatmeal Stout but very enjoyable. Has a very nice chocolate and marshmallow smell to it.

I really wanted to get some Thomas Creek Banana Split stout but they don't appear to sell any down here, at least not at the moment.

Sold out too quick, haha. Oh well :p

Awesome that Shelton is coming back. But yeah, I have never seen Cantillon on the shelves here. Local liquor store got a case of Gueuze and St Lamvinus last week but I had already gone home from work so I missed out.

I haven't tried Cantillon but my friend swears that Tilquin is better so I'm not all that hyped up about it anymore. Still gotta try it for myself. If Tilquin/3F are like 98% as good as Cantillon and are readily available I probably won't bother.

Cantillon is fantastic, I see no reason to downplay them. However, Tilquin is awesome as is 3F.

In Maui. Coconut porter fresh at the brewery is pretty tasty. Much tastier than the cans we get in California.

Have fun!! I was on Maui this past June/July. The growler prices at Maui Brewing Company are quite good. I took advantage of them every time we went up to Lahaina (after snorkeling at Honolua).

Top Bottom