• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Beer |OT|

Milchjon

I also help out with the brewery tours at my new job. 5 within three days, and I learn a lot every time.

Pretty fun stuff.

As for beer, I had the Flying Dog Belgian style IPA (can't recall the dog pun name). Not my kind of beer. I just can't get into yeasty and sour beers, no matter how often I try.

Cr0wn0

I ended up with three bottles of Green Monster yesterday in Seattle. Do you know the story behind it?

I opened one of my Green Monsters last night. It's pretty nice, excited to see what this baby does with some age on it.

Interesting! I had just heard it was a bad batch. I'd like to could get another to try now and age one but I think they are completely gone now.

I got a 6 pack of 10 barrel swill on a whim. This is not the beer for me. It says it's a belgian ale with citrus notes on the label but it tastes like fucking orange juice. No tartness, just sugary sweetness without bitterness to balance it out.

Gross.

PG2G

I ended up with three bottles of Green Monster yesterday in Seattle. Do you know the story behind it?

I opened one of my Green Monsters last night. It's pretty nice, excited to see what this baby does with some age on it.

Gonna pick up a couple bottles tomorrow if they don't sell out. Hope its good!

I think I got a decent lineup tonight, guys.
VrYMX1o.jpg

Good night. Watching some Friday the 13th movies from the new blu set and drinking beer with friends. Had the Sam Adams' Fat Jack, then a Weyerbacher Tiny, and now some Three Philosophers.

Jarnet87

Went to the Total Wine in Pinecrest (South FL) on Friday, one of the guys who was with Sam Adams told me they should be getting a small amount of Fat Jack within the next couple days. Gonna check back Monday or Tuesday and hope to get my hands on a bottle or two. Only Pumpkin Ale I have tried was the Weyerbacher Imperial Pumpkin, wasn't too fond of it.

Got to try some Founder's brews for the first time, FL just started getting their beers recently. The Dirty Bastard Scotch Ale was very good, the Porter was decent. I'm super excited to try the Breakfast Stout.

Got to try some Founder's brews for the first time, FL just started getting their beers recently. The Dirty Bastard Scotch Ale was very good, the Porter was decent. I'm super excited to try the Breakfast Stout.
These have just started popping up in Australia, what's the consensus on Founder's stuff?

A limited shipment of Southern Tier Creme Bruleee did the rounds too recently, looks like I just missed out but by all accounts it was pretty good.

PG2G

Well, not everything. All Day IPA, Breakfast Stout (not KBS) and Dirty Bastard are the ones I remember seeing. Maybe we're getting old stock...

The store probably got it sent over from someone in the US. I know a couple stores here in Los Angeles illegally sell Founders stuff on occasion, probably pretty easy to trade for a case our two when you own a liquor store.

Have managed to get my hands on Breakfast Stout and Devil Dancer so far. Pay quite the markup for it, but I'm normally willing to for a one time taste :p

PG2G

I wouldn't write IPAs off because of one specific experience. There is so much differentiation within the style that you need to experiment a bit.

I am a big fan of IPAs that have a piney taste, the others rarely impress me that much.

Hoptimum and Sculpin are examples of some really well regarded ones that didn't do too much for me. I'd take a simple Racer 5 over those anyday :p

I'm fairly new to craft beers but I find the hopiness of IPA's to be too much for me. I'm much more of a Lager guy. I just wish there were stronger Lagers available around me. I might have to resort to ordering online (I'm in Key West).

The store probably got it sent over from someone in the US. I know a couple stores here in Los Angeles illegally sell Founders stuff on occasion, probably pretty easy to trade for a case our two when you own a liquor store.

Have managed to get my hands on Breakfast Stout and Devil Dancer so far. Pay quite the markup for it, but I'm normally willing to for a one time taste :p

Legal. Founders is expanding to the UK and Australia.

PG2G

This Fantome Printemps Saison is probably the most confusing beer I've ever had, Smell and up front taste is all saison, after taste is that of a chili beer

I wouldn't write IPAs off because of one specific experience. There is so much differentiation within the style that you need to experiment a bit.

I am a big fan of IPAs that have a piney taste, the others rarely impress me that much.

Hoptimum and Sculpin are examples of some really well regarded ones that didn't do too much for me. I'd take a simple Racer 5 over those anyday :p

Well right now, I'm almost tolerating it because...I love beer and I'm a drunk. Still, if I knew this was how I felt about IPAs, I would've chosen a Stone w00tstout instead.

Chris R

Drinking this while watching the boxing fites.

Never tried IPA before tonight but I learned that I'm not a fan of IPA. I'll go back to enjoying stouts next week.

Probably the wrong beer to try for a IPA newbie. Hell, even the Torpedo might be too much.

I want to head over to the local brew shop now though and see what new beers they have in stock :(

This Fantome Printemps Saison is probably the most confusing beer I've ever had, Smell and up front taste is all saison, after taste is that of a chili beer

Fantome has serious quality control issues. Lots of people's Hiver bottles are stringy and taste like smoke. In afraid to open my bottle.

Milchjon

I didn't really love beer until I tried my first IPA. The best.

Also, I usually hate wheat beer to the point where I've outright dumped 3/4 of some bottles in the sink, but I'm having a Schneider Hopfen-Weisse right now and it's really good once you get over the intial typical Hefeweizen stink. Pretty dry and hoppy for a wheat beer.

8.2% ABV, though :-/

Kentpaul

When keepin it real goes wrong. Very, very wrong.

Also, I usually hate wheat beer to the point where I've outright dumped 3/4 of some bottles in the sink, but I'm having a Schneider Hopfen-Weisse right now and it's really good once you get over the intial typical Hefeweizen stink. Pretty dry and hoppy for a wheat beer.

Perfection apart from the IPA, doesn't take long to be where you need to be.

terrible

Banned

Hopfenweisse is so good. It's probably my most purchased beer over the last two years.

The 8.2% really can get you in trouble combined with how easy it is to drink though. Three of those are equal to around seven 5% 12oz beers. Yikes.

Datwheezy

Unconfirmed Member
I've found that malt heavy DIPAs are good for people who dont like most IPAs. Dogfish 90min, Firestone Walker Double Jack, Southern Tier Unearthly, etc

http://wp.me/p3LnNf-2y

My buddy's account of our Zwanze Day festivities yesterday.

What'd you think of the Zwanze beer? I enjoyed it a lot more than I thought I would. I ended up getting the last glass of Iris Grand Cru before the keg blew (split it with a couple people though) and that just blew me away. Also got a sip of Mamouche which was uh interesting but I wouldn't have paid the 60 for a bottle they were charging.

What'd you think of the Zwanze beer? I enjoyed it a lot more than I thought I would. I ended up getting the last glass of Iris Grand Cru before the keg blew (split it with a couple people though) and that just blew me away. Also got a sip of Mamouche which was uh interesting but I wouldn't have paid the 60 for a bottle they were charging.

I knew it was going to be a soured trippel, but I was still quite underwhelmed.

Datwheezy

Unconfirmed Member
I get some alcohol heat from all those beer. Maybe your friends are just lushes?

Good taste in beer by the way.

Even 90 min? That is the beer I usually give non craft beer drinkers to introduce them. That, or Delerium Tremens.

Edit: My friends are definitely lushes though, so who knows lol.

The store probably got it sent over from someone in the US. I know a couple stores here in Los Angeles illegally sell Founders stuff on occasion
There's quite a few stores in the area carrying it, so either an importer brought over a truckload, or it's above board.

There is a place that gets Dogfish and Stone 'illegally' I've found recently but they always go really fast. Going to have to time a visit there carefully...

Legal. Founders is expanding to the UK and Australia.
Ahh, there we go. Fingers crossed for more here! Seeing a lot of Rogue around recently as well.

There's quite a few stores in the area carrying it, so either an importer brought over a truckload, or it's above board.

There is a place that gets Dogfish and Stone 'illegally' I've found recently but they always go really fast. Going to have to time a visit there carefully...

Ahh, there we go. Fingers crossed for more here! Seeing a lot of Rogue around recently as well.

Founders is just sending over standard year-round beers. None of the special releases.

Milchjon

Even 90 min? That is the beer I usually give non craft beer drinkers to introduce them. That, or Delerium Tremens.

Edit: My friends are definitely lushes though, so who knows lol.

Delirium tremens is one of the very few beers where I thought I could taste the alcohol.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Never tried IPA before tonight but I learned that I'm not a fan of IPA. I'll go back to enjoying stouts next week.

If you like stouts and want to give IPAs another go, look into black IPAs. They're very dark and tread closer to the richness of a stout and porter than a standard IPA.

If you like stouts and want to give IPAs another go, look into black IPAs. They're very dark and tread closer to the richness of a stout and porter than a standard IPA.

Very good suggestion. A black IPA that I get regularly (because it is common and cheap here in New England) is by Otter Creek. It used to be seasonal, but is now available year round. They also make a good Russian Imperial Stout.

Top Bottom