• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Beer |OT|

Amakusa

Just picked up 3 bottles of
mississippi.jpg

Not bad, not bad at all.

hipbabboom

Huh? What did I say? Did I screw up again? :(
Latest purchase for me was Samuel Smith Organic Chocolate Stout

beer+cooking+073.JPG

Not as good as the Oatmeal Stout but very enjoyable. Has a very nice chocolate and marshmallow smell to it.

I really wanted to get some Thomas Creek Banana Split stout but they don't appear to sell any down here, at least not at the moment.

The head that glass is giving makes me blush a little <3

Decado

How do you guys transport beer? I'm looking at a vacation to Europe or San Francisco, and while I usually only take a carry-on, I'd like to be able to bring a fair bit of beer back on the plane (checked luggage, of course).

Anyway, I don't really have a piece of luggage suitable for this use, so either I have to buy one or use something else. Anything else besides luggage that works? I hear you can just wrap your beer in clothes and/or bubble wrap and tightly wrap it...and most will survive.

Finally got a chance to try some Crooked Stave beers and DAMN. It was a flight of:

St. Bretta (the one w/ blood oranges)
Hop Savant (Simcoe and Centennial? can't remember exactly)
Vieille
Surette

Vieille was probably my favorite but all of them blew me away, really glad it's distributed in California now.

Also picked up a Zwanze Day ticket at the SF location, anybody here going?

I'll be at the Seattle event. Glad that Cantillon is legally back in WA.

I haven't had a Cantillon since last year in Belgium (tried the Classic Gueuze, Kriek, the special Kriek at Chez Moeder, lambic, Rose, and Vigneronne) so I'm excited to get another taste. Mikkeller says they'll be tapping Iris, which from Cantillon's FB page seems like it'll be different and I think I'm more excited for this than the actual Zwanze beer:

On 14/09/2013, at the occasion of the Zwanze Day, the most of the bars participating will serve other Cantillon beers. Some will serve an "Iris Grand Cru".
"Classic" Iris is a pure malt brew, matured for about 2 years in barrels. The beer gets a dry hopping with Saaz before beiing bottled and champagnized.
This "Iris Grand Cru" was made in the same philosophy as for a "Lambic Grand Cru Bruocsella". We kept the beer for 3 years in barrels and we didn't made the dry hopping and champagnisation. The "Iris Grand Cru" is less bitter and more dry then the "Iris". The beer is still, very fine, with malted notes and a nice lingering finish. The "Iris Grand Cru" will be served in some of the locations at the occasion of the Zwanze Day, but it is not the Zwanze 2013.

I haven't had a Cantillon since last year in Belgium (tried the Classic Gueuze, Kriek, the special Kriek at Chez Moeder, lambic, Rose, and Vigneronne) so I'm excited to get another taste. Mikkeller says they'll be tapping Iris, which from Cantillon's FB page seems like it'll be different and I think I'm more excited for this than the actual Zwanze beer:

I first had Cantillon in Belgium a few years ago, but have managed to score Lou Pepe Kriek, Lou Pepe Framboise, Rose de Gambrinus, Fou Fone, Kriek, Original Gueze, Vigneronne and Iris back in the US/Canada.

The Seattle event at Brouwers is going to have:

Saturday, September 14th Cantillon Zwanze Day. We are honored to be hosting this worldwide event. We are one of 46 bars around the world that is tapping this beer. We are getting Cantillon Gueuze, and St Guilloze and are trying to amass 15- 20 other sour beers for this great day. We may dig in to the cellar and bring out some very rare bottle pours and limited bottles might be available for purchase, for in house consumption only. We will not be selling tickets, we will be handing out numbers at the door based on your position in line. Holding one of these tickets will mean that you will be able to purchase a 6oz pour of Zwanze. We plan on letting people get in get situated and then pouring the tickets for Zwanze in ascending order in a timely manner starting at noon.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
Cantillon was easy to find only four years ago. Crazy how their popularity skyrocketed so quickly. Even after the sour boom happened it was easy to find for a while.

Cantillon was easy to find only four years ago. Crazy how their popularity skyrocketed so quickly. Even after the sour boom happened it was easy to find for a while.

Cantillon is still readily available in Canada. Works out well for me since we go to Vancouver twice a year.

aceface

Just picked up 3 bottles of
mississippi.jpg

Not bad, not bad at all.

Just looked up information on this. Brewed by the Mississippi Brewing company...Utica, NY lol. I live right near there.

Beers brewed at the Matt brewery in Utica:
That one.
Brooklyn
Saranac
Lake Placid
Utica Club (never would have guessed eh?)

Cr0wn0

When we got Cantillon last year in Arizona one guy followed the delivery truck and bought as much as he possibly could. I think a few places limited him but they were gone in about 5 minutes.

When we got Cantillon last year in Arizona one guy followed the delivery truck and bought as much as he possibly could. I think a few places limited him but they were gone in about 5 minutes.

That guy needs to be kicked in the junk. Repeatedly.

#fuckinghoarders

fijim

Banned

I hate those guys, they will defend themselves saying that they share a bunch of it and trade a bunch of it so that means people do get to drink it, but really what it means is their friends get to drink it and other rare bottle hoarders get to trade for it. Also, a good amount sits in their cellars.

If you don't have rare stuff to trade, or know the right people, you better take off work and chase the truck down as well if you want to get some. Also, it's funny b/c elsewhere in the world the beer is still considered great, but not so great that people will line up and chase delivery trucks down to get it. The beer hype has gotten out of control in the US these last couple years.

I hate those guys, they will defend themselves saying that they share a bunch of it and trade a bunch of it so that means people do get to drink it, but really what it means is their friends get to drink it and other rare bottle hoarders get to trade for it. Also, a good amount sits in their cellars.

If you don't have rare stuff to trade, or know the right people, you better take off work and chase the truck down as well if you want to get some. Also, it's funny b/c elsewhere in the world the beer is still considered great, but not so great that people will line up and chase delivery trucks down to get it. The beer hype has gotten out of control in the US these last couple years.

Beer hype is pretty lax out here in Seattle, it's nice. We do have some obsessive types who are everywhere all the time, but big releases don't draw lines and you can always get what you want as long as you stop by within a day or two of release.

Craft beer is also just an accepted part of the culture in the PNW, I think that's part of the reason why there isn't the ridiculous hype like you see in the Great Lakes region and Florida.

Malvolio

The over-hype of particular releases is certainly annoying. Luckily craft beer has gotten so large and diverse that there is always going to be something on the shelf worth buying and only the people obsessed with amassing a massive tasting list feel cheated. The rest of us just get to enjoy a world filled with fantastic beer. Life as an American beer drinker 20 years ago was so terrible. Thank goodness those days are dead and gone.

fijim

Banned
The over-hype of particular releases is certainly annoying. Luckily craft beer has gotten so large and diverse that there is always going to be something on the shelf worth buying and only the people obsessed with amassing a massive tasting list feel cheated. The rest of us just get to enjoy a world filled with fantastic beer. Life as an American beer drinker 20 years ago was so terrible. Thank goodness those days are dead and gone.

Yes, this is very true. Maybe you can't find the top rated barrel aged beer people are hyping over. But you can almost always find a similar beer that is just as good sitting on the shelves. There are so many great beers out there, it is not worth going too crazy over the limited releases.

Speaking of barrel aged beers that aren't flying off the shelf, Pike Brewing recently released their Entire Wood Aged Stout (dry fly whiskey barrels). Since it's Pike, no one thinks to buy it... if you have access, BUY IT. Absolutely fantastic and a steal at only $8.99 a bomber.

What a fucking prick

Some guy got banned from Full Throttle Bottles down in Georgetown because he was driving all over Seattle trying to buy up every single case of Firestone Walker's Parabola a few years ago. He raged and raged and raged on their Twitter feed and Facebook page. Dude has issues.

codhand

Some guy got banned from Full Throttle Bottles down in Georgetown because he was driving all over Seattle trying to buy up every single case of Firestone Walker's Parabola a few years ago. He raged and raged and raged on their Twitter feed and Facebook page. Dude has issues.

link? this sounds too funny....

I've never been able to buy the stuff because its always gone right away.

Link

The Autumn Wind
Stopped by Total Wine on my way home from work and picked up bombers of Ommegang Abbey Ale, Ommegang Hennepin, Stone Vertical Epic, and Stone Imperial Russian Stout. Already helped myself to a glass of Abbey Ale.

terrible

Banned
Waiting in line for Brewfest. The list:

Times like these you almost wish spitting beer was acceptable like it is with wine lol. I'd have no problem trying 50+ beers and loving them if I could based on that list.

This reminds me though, Toronto's Cask Days is coming up soon. Can't wait. You pretty much have to show up on multiple days to even come close to trying everything you want to try.

Rei_Toei

Fclvat sbe Pnanqn, ru?
Splurged a bit:

9696989603_cbdf538217_z.jpg

Guldenberg (Tripel), Saison Dupont, XX Bitter and Deus. Except Deus, all the bottles were €4.50-€5.50, very reasonable prices.

Sappy113

1240406_10151832188999826_2005322500_n.jpg

Todays (initial) brews for NFL opening day: Arrogant Bastard Ale and Amager Bryghus/3 Floyds collab Arctic Sunstone. Mmmmmm.

Top Bottom