• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Beer |OT|

Does Brooklyn Brewery do a weizen with Berliner weiss yeast? A local brewery (Mountain Goat, Cross Breed Hopfweizenbock) in Australia did a collab with them which is a weizen with Berliner weiss yeast and from the description it was unclear whether they (Brooklyn) make that same beer or just a Berliner weiss.

Wasn't impressed with the local one, so just trying to gauge if it's a good/popular beer in the US if they do make it.

Going on a brewery/tap house sojourn this afternoon for a buddy's birthday. Here's the list:

New Belgium
Odell
Funkwerks
Fort Collins Brewery
Pateros Creek
Coopersmith
Equinox
Jax (for an Oyster Stout from Odell)
Crankenstein (for some Epic Brewing)
Choice City Butcher (for something sour)
Wynkoop/Breckenridge Brewing's new tap house

Gonna be a lot of samplers going around.

Jarnet87

The Total Wine near me just got in Ommegang Take The Black Stout. Bought myself a bottle and probably gonna open it tonight. If it's good I'll have to grab another bottle or two, don't think the stock will last very long.

Still no Sam Adams Fat Jack near me, but a friend in Naples grabbed a bottle for me.

So I tried Dogfish Head 90 minute tonight. Like'd it. Definitely not as hoppy as other IPA's. On a lark I tried Dogfish Head's Tweason'ale and.. not so much. Tastes more like a champagne to me for some reason. 1 for 2 isn't that bad though.

So I tried Dogfish Head 90 minute tonight. Like'd it. Definitely not as hoppy as other IPA's. On a lark I tried Dogfish Head's Tweason'ale and.. not so much. Tastes more like a champagne to me for some reason. 1 for 2 isn't that bad though.

Tweason'ale is a gluten free beer with strawberries. Very different beast.

Tweason'ale is a gluten free beer with strawberries. Very different beast.

Yeah I noted that before I bought it along with the whole Strawberry and Buckwheat Honey aspects of it. I'm pretty new to Craft Beers though and there's not a lot of educated information available where I am so I've just been trying a lot of stuff blindly to see what I like.

So I take it that Gluten-free is the biggest offender here in terms of not being very beer like (for lack of a better description)?

Momentary

Banned
Grabbed some of this today. I haven't tried it yet.

1238211_578091145584619_1844142311_n.jpg

johnsmith

remember me
Found some Trappistes Rochefort 10 at the liquor store. Excited to try it, a perfect 100 on BA is a lot for a beer to live up to. Gonna drink it during Breaking Bad.

Interesting that for once, the price at the Utah State Liquor store is actually not close to double what out of state places charge. It was 5.85 per bottle, when it seems a lot of places charge $8-10

PG2G

Today's haul

Alesmith Vietnamese Speedway Stout x4
Alesmith Bourbon Barrel Speedway Stout x3
Firestone Walker Velvet Merkin
Logsdon Far West Vlaming

Think after this one I will have knocked out the entire Logsdon lineup

Okay no luck at Ledgers, though I did manage to snag some fresh Blind Pig and Pliny so I'm happy.

Didn't realize Le Terroir was out again, never tried it the first time so I definitely will if I see it!

Might check out Perry's Liquor out in Livermore sometime this week. Will keep ya posted.

Haven't posted one of these in a while. Pickups since August or so...

61ie7D1.jpg

From let to right: Ale Apothecary "Sahati", Deschutes "Green Monster" (x2), Fremont "Bellingham Beer Week Imperial Porter" (x2), Grassroots "Arctic Saison," Justice "Pinot Didactic," Epic Ales "Black Cherry Void," Commons "Madrone," Commons "Urban Farmhouse," Crux "Insider IPA," Crux "Outcast IPA," and Firestone Walker "PNC" (x3).

Found some Trappistes Rochefort 10 at the liquor store. Excited to try it, a perfect 100 on BA is a lot for a beer to live up to. Gonna drink it during Breaking Bad.

Interesting that for once, the price at the Utah State Liquor store is actually not close to double what out of state places charge. It was 5.85 per bottle, when it seems a lot of places charge $8-10

I think it's awesome. I bought three bottles a few months ago and I still have one left and now I really want one, but I currently have a cold so I probably wouldn't be able to taste it very well.

codhand

61ie7D1.jpg

From let to right: Ale Apothecary "Sahati", Deschutes "Green Monster" (x2), Fremont "Bellingham Beer Week Imperial Porter" (x2), Grassroots "Arctic Saison," Justice "Pinot Didactic," Epic Ales "Black Cherry Void," Commons "Madrone," Commons "Urban Farmhouse," Crux "Insider IPA," Crux "Outcast IPA," and Firestone Walker "PNC" (x3).

dayum, excellent,

i have that arctic saison, still havent cracked it yet

also Cards Against Humanity, i see you hiding there, had a lot of fun playing that game

t-ramp

I think it's awesome. I bought three bottles a few months ago and I still have one left and now I really want one, but I currently have a cold so I probably wouldn't be able to taste it very well.
I had one a little while ago. It's not quite my thing, but it's clearly a high-quality beer.

There's a crazy amount of sediment floating in it, that's for sure.

Cr0wn0

61ie7D1.jpg

Awesome linueup! Not sure what your plans are for the Green Monster but I opened up mine tonight and its really damn good! I'm not sure why they would have a best after date on it.

Awesome linueup! Not sure what your plans are for the Green Monster but I opened up mine tonight and its really damn good! I'm not sure why they would have a best after date on it.

I actually bought three and already had one of them. Deschutes does a lot of "best after" dates on their beers, for good reason. I can see Green Monster changing with time.

Agree or disagree with this list?
America's best craft breweries: the state-by-state breakdown
Thrillist said:
With hundreds of new operations firing up their fermenters every year and filling America's shelves/bellies, "craft beer" is quickly becoming "beer that is everywhere, and really, very good, and I want some more, please". And that's a great thing.

But with so many breweries around, it can be tough to separate the great ones from the guys who don't make the best beer, but do happen to have bottles with a really cool Corvette-driving velociraptor on them. Actually, you should buy that one, too. But back to the point. We now present: our list of the best craft brewery in every single state.

NORTHEAST
New Jersey: River Horse Brewing Company
Pennsylvania: Tröegs Brewing Company
New York: Brooklyn Brewery
Delaware: Dogfish Head Brewery
Maryland: Stillwater Artisanal Ales

SOUTH
Texas: Jester King Brewery
Kentucky: Against the Grain Brewery
Louisiana: NOLA Brewing
Florida: Cigar City Brewing
Alabama: Good People Brewing Company
Mississippi: Lazy Magnolia Brewing Company
Georgia: SweetWater Brewing Company
Arkansas: Diamond Bear Brewing Company
Tennessee: Yazoo Brewing Company
Virginia: Devils Backbone Brewing Company
West Virginia: Bridge Brew Works
North Carolina: Foothills Brewing
South Carolina: Thomas Creek Brewery

MIDWEST
North Dakota: Fargo Brewing Company
South Dakota: Crow Peak Brewing Company
Oklahoma: Choc Beer Company
Minnesota: Surly Brewing Company
Iowa: Toppling Goliath Brewing Company
Missouri: Perennial Artisan Ales
Illinois: Half Acre Beer Company
Michigan: Founders Brewing Company
Indiana: Three Floyds Brewing
Ohio: Great Lakes Brewing Company
Nebraska: Nebraska Brewing Company
Kansas: Free State Brewing Company
Wisconsin: New Glarus Brewing

NORTHWEST
Oregon: Rogue Ales
Montana: Big Sky Brewing
Wyoming: Snake River Brewing
Alaska: Anchorage Brewing Company
Idaho: Grand Teton Brewing
Washington: Elysian Brewing Company

WEST
New Mexico: Marble Brewery
Colorado: Great Divide Brewing Company
Arizona: Four Peaks Brewing Company
Nevada: Tenaya Creek Brewery
Hawaii: Maui Brewing Company
California: Russian River Brewing Company
Utah: Epic Brewing Company

NEW ENGLAND
New Hampshire: Smuttynose Brewing Company
Vermont: The Alchemist
Maine: Maine Beer Company
Connecticut: New England Brewing Company
Massachusetts: Jack's Abby
Rhode Island: Grey Sail Brewing of Rhode Island

I've got big issues with Rogue being considered the best Oregon brewery. I wouldn't consider Elysian the best Washington brewery, but they make good beer and I actually like them, unlike Rogue.

Kinda funny seeing Alchemist listed as the best VT brewery, seeing how they currently make only one or two beers. Figured it would be Hill Farmstead or Lawson's Finest Liquids.

fijim

Banned
Illinois should be Goose Island (I don't care if AB owns them).

Besides that I think Revolution and Pipeworks are better than Half Acre.

For Vermont Hill Farmstead should be there, The Alchemist only makes Heady Topper now.

Some states are hard to choose like Michigan and California, but I think they made good choices. Oregon has lots of options and Rogue is not the best choice.

pxleyes

Banned
Nobody gets Florida right. There is a huge following for Cigar City, but it really isn't that good. Maduro is crap, Jai Alai isn't anything special for an IPA, and Florida Cracker is an atrocious white. Their specialties like Cucumber Saison are overly flavored to the point where the original beer ingredients are hardly noticeable.

matt360

I love Brooklyn Brewery, but I'd have to give New York to Ommegang.

I would as well. Maybe it's Brooklyn's variety that put them over the top? I'm also a huge Southern Tier fan. I think they also may lack variety, but Pumking is my favorite beer of all time, and I've enjoyed everything else I've had from them. Most of their dessert beers are too sweet for me to drink by myself, but if I have someone to split it with, it's perfect.

Cr0wn0

Four Peaks just does run of the mill beers and just in the last few months they have started experimenting with barrel aged stuff now that a lot of other high quality breweries are opening up. Dragoon is Tucson is knocking it out of the park lately. Az Wilderness is making some incredible stuff and are one of the first breweries here to start into the saison/sour stuff.

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
I love Brooklyn Brewery, but I'd have to give New York to Ommegang.

Ommegang is probably one of my favorites on the East Coast, oh my god I can never get enough.

1238356_10151905505129669_1019450317_n.jpg

Tried the Dominion Oak Barrel Aged Stout, probably the sweetest stout I've ever had that doesn't talk about their chocolate malt use. They use vanilla bean with oak chips which gives it that dessert taste and a bit of body. Goes down like water though, I blew through my 6pack absurdly quickly without even thinking about it. Might be a go-to for if I ever feel the need for a stout during the summer because of the drinkability but for the winter months I'd absolutely prefer a heftier brew like Old Rasputin or Founders' Breakfast.

Picked up a Moon Dog Brewing Jumping the Shark last night. 15.4% imperial stout, barrel aged four months, 800g of black truffles dumped into the barrel too. I think they only made one barrel and they're supposedly not making any money on it.

Now that's what we want from our craft brewers. Well, occasionally.

Also looks like some Dogfish Head, Stone and Great Divide stuff is coming out next week in Australia. When I asked one supplier how they got it they were pretty coy (meaning some US distributor saw easy money), but said it was definitely being refrigerated.

Okay no luck at Ledgers, though I did manage to snag some fresh Blind Pig and Pliny so I'm happy.

Didn't realize Le Terroir was out again, never tried it the first time so I definitely will if I see it!
Strolled through the Whole Foods on 4th in SF before a meeting... They "had" Green Monster. May drop by again after my meeting is done, looks like a decent selection there.

Sappy113

Nobody gets Florida right. There is a huge following for Cigar City, but it really isn't that good. Maduro is crap, Jai Alai isn't anything special for an IPA, and Florida Cracker is an atrocious white. Their specialties like Cucumber Saison are overly flavored to the point where the original beer ingredients are hardly noticeable.

Who'd you pick? Going to Florida next year, would be nice to keep your recommendation in mind.

pxleyes

Banned
Who'd you pick? Going to Florida next year, would be nice to keep your recommendation in mind.

Swamp Head and St. Somewhere.

Swamp Head is your typical brewery with a line up range from light to dark. Standard beers include:

Wild Night - Honey Cream Ale that you can drink for days
Cottonmouth - A nice wheat beer for hotter climates
Stumpknocker - A killer pale ale made for session drinking
Big Nose - IPA not to be trifled with. I generally don't drink it, but I'm not huge on IPAs right now.
Midnight Oil - The best of the bunch in my opinion. Coffee Oatmeal Stout for the ages. Love this at the end of the night. I think it beats Anderson Valley's Oatmeal Stout and it rivals Left Hand's Milk Stout (though they are different beasts and I love each equally)

They also do season and weekly taps on all sorts of things.

St. Somewhere is a brewery that only makes farm ales. Fermented in the bottle, they run about 10-20 bucks, depending on if you get it at a store or bar. Each ale comes in a champagne style bottle with cork and metal cage. Beware, they are extremely lively and the cage actually does hold the cork on. My first bottle just about came uncorked before I fully got the cage off. Made for quite the loud bang. It isn't a beer to really drink alone though. I mean you can, but it is best enjoyed with a friend or two. 2-3 people can split a bottle and still get a buzz, as the ales usually top out at 8-10%. Really worth hunting down if you find yourself near a Total Wine or ABC while in the state.

Hey beer GAF. Got a few questions. I happen to work at a redemption center in MA, and some guy left behind an unopened bottle of Sam Adams Triple Bock. Apparently it was only brewed between 1994 to 1996, and I was told by my boss to not open it because it would taste terrible.

Now my questions, is it legal to sell alcohol online? Is anyone here interested in buying it? I could post a picture if no one believes me. Also, I wonder how much it's worth? My boss said he could sell it through the store and give me the money it makes, but when he looked it up in the computer system, it's only worth 5 bucks. I checked ebay, and a empty bottle is going for a little under 20 bucks. I'm not trying to be greedy, but I'm sure I could get a little more than 5 dollars for it.

It's a nice bottle, I wonder if I should hold onto it for the future, I mean, it's nothing special but it could be cool to own a beer that's never going to be brewed again.

fijim

Banned
Hey beer GAF. Got a few questions. I happen to work at a redemption center in MA, and some guy left behind an unopened bottle of Sam Adams Triple Bock. Apparently it was only brewed between 1994 to 1996, and I was told by my boss to not open it because it would taste terrible.

Now my questions, is it legal to sell alcohol online? Is anyone here interested in buying it? I could post a picture if no one believes me. Also, I wonder how much it's worth? My boss said he could sell it through the store and give me the money it makes, but when he looked it up in the computer system, it's only worth 5 bucks. I checked ebay, and a empty bottle is going for a little under 20 bucks. I'm not trying to be greedy, but I'm sure I could get a little more than 5 dollars for it.

It's a nice bottle, I wonder if I should hold onto it for the future, I mean, it's nothing special but it could be cool to own a beer that's never going to be brewed again.

I bet you could get around $50-75 for it. It does have some novelty value and some collectors may want a bottle. From what I have heard it won't taste that great these days, but being a high ABV beer it should be able to age decently and still be drinkable.

Try Craigslist selling it local, or just hold on to it and open it on some special occasion with other beer fans just for the hell of it.

Interesting fact, Sam Adams Utopias include a little bit of Triple Bock in them.

I bet you could get around $50-75 for it. It does have some novelty value and some collectors may want a bottle. From what I have heard it won't taste that great these days, but being a high ABV beer it should be able to age decently and still be drinkable.

Try Craigslist selling it local, or just hold on to it and open it on some special occasion with other beer fans just for the hell of it.

Interesting fact, Sam Adams Utopias include a little bit of Triple Bock in them.
Thanks for the reply. Yeah I figured craigslist would be my best bet. I don't think I have the guts to drink it though. It's probably 2-5 years younger than me. It's just a 12 oz bottle so I don't know how or if that'll bring the price down a bit.

Well, I guess it'll remain a good luck charm for now.

t-ramp

That's kind of cool. BeerAdvocate has some recent reviews that make it sound drinkable. I don't suppose you have any idea of how it was stored during the interim, do you?

That's kind of cool. BeerAdvocate has some recent reviews that make it sound drinkable. I don't suppose you have any idea of how it was stored during the interim, do you?
No idea at all. I'm still at work right now. I sit here and wait for people to bring their empties back. I found it in one of the boxes the guy left. My guess is either he forgot he left it in there, or he doesn't don't want it anymore.

t-ramp

Sam Adams' Wee Heavy is pretty good. I was always a bit hesitant to try their Imperial 4-packs for $10+, but I picked one up on sale for $8 the other day.

No idea at all. I'm still at work right now. I sit here and wait for people to bring their empties back. I found it in one of the boxes the guy left. My guess is either he forgot he left it in there, or he doesn't don't want it anymore.
Yeah, it would be hard to tell. Did he return a bunch of old bottles?

Top Bottom