• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Beer |OT|

Oktoberfest night (in Omaha, not quite as exciting as Munich...). Broke a stein that I've taken to every Oktoberfest that I've been here, in the car on the way home. It was sad. I did have the always delicious Paulaner Oktoberfest, which is easily the best imported German Märzen.
NhSdIq4.jpg

Now it's time for a Pranqster.

First time posting in this thread. So I tried out the new Sierra Nevada Flipside Red recently.
While it is good and a bit smoother than their regular IPA's it still has the signature "hoppy" flavor. It's very much a sipping beer. It tastes like someone mixed a bottle of Killian's Irish Red and Sierra's IPA.

Still it's worth trying out, it also has the badass Sierra Nevada artwork on the case/bottle.

yipCuzN.jpg

Horse Detective

Why the long case?
I want to become a beer enthusiast but I don't know where to start.

I had a pack of Samuel Adams Oktoberfest yesterday and it wasn't very good.

Milchjon

I want to become a beer enthusiast but I don't know where to start.

I had a pack of Samuel Adams Oktoberfest yesterday and it wasn't very good.

Well, do you like any kind of beer?

After a few months of diving deeper into beer, I've come to the conclusion that there's a beer for almost literally everyone. Even if it's sometimes a fringe style like Belgian fruit lambics.

Horse Detective

Why the long case?
Well, do you like any kind of beer?

After a few months of diving deeper into beer, I've come to the conclusion that there's a beer for almost literally everyone. Even if it's sometimes a fringe style like Belgian fruit lambics.

Yes, definitely.

I feel like I really enjoy the darker stuff. I had a couple of these bottles that said "oatmeal" somewhere on the label. I know that sounds gross but it was delicious.

Milchjon

Yes, definitely.

I feel like I really enjoy the darker stuff. I had a couple of these bottles that said "oatmeal" somewhere on the label. I know that sounds gross but it was delicious.

Oatmeal stout, probably.

Look into stouts and porters, tons of interesting stuff there.

Maybe you'd also enjoy black IPAs. Those are very malty and hoppy, real flavor bombs. Alas, at least around here they're still pretty rare.

Horse Detective

Why the long case?
Oatmeal stout, probably.

Look into stouts and porters, tons of interesting stuff there.

Maybe you'd also enjoy black IPAs. Those are very malty and hoppy, real flavor bombs. Alas, at least around here they're still pretty rare.

Thanks.

Yeah I don't mind that signature "beer" taste in a lot of the more widely available options, I just hate when that is the only flavor I can detect. That's kind of what it is like with lighter stuff. Its not like a "macho man needs more alcohol in his beer" type thing, I just like a lot of flavor. Darker stuff tends to fulfill that.

Thanks.

Yeah I don't mind that signature "beer" taste in a lot of the more widely available options, I just hate when that is the only flavor I can detect. That's kind of what it is like with lighter stuff. Its not like a "macho man needs more alcohol in his beer" type thing, I just like a lot of flavor. Darker stuff tends to fulfill that.

Many of the higher ABV stuff I get tends to be more flavorful as well.

If you want darker, I really like the Stone Russian Imperial Stout and Weyerbacher Tiny. Tiny looks like motor oil when you pour it because it is so dark and thick.

If you can still find it, grab the Stone Espresso Russian Imperial Stout. It seems to have gone from shelves around here, but it is fantastic. Tastes like black coffee.
Or, if you are lucky enough to still find the W00tstout by Stone, that is a dark, heavy beer that is extremely flavorful. The slight pecan aftertaste is divine.

codhand

a big myth is that color indicates flavor, which just isnt true, i can give you a 12oz light colored beer with twice the calories of a 16oz Guinness, sounds like what you want is chocolatey stouts.

samuel smith oatmeal stout and founders oatmeal stout are the two most famous/widely available varieties of oatmeal stout

also just grab ones that look interesting to you and figure out what you like and dont, it's part of the fun

just keep an open mind

Rei_Toei

Fclvat sbe Pnanqn, ru?
New arrivals:

9983064143_0aa071eb6c_z.jpg

From left to right:

Emelisse White Label Imperial Russian Stout: supposedly god-tier IRS. Barrel aged, a first for me.
De Molen's Pijl & Boog: hard to describe but really unique beer. Definitely has the quirkiness DM's beers usually have.
Het Uiltje Athena Noctua: double IPA. Previous beers from this really new brewery were pretty solid, so curious how this turns out. Can't say I'm a double IPA expert - this will be my second double IPA.
Livinus: bought out of curiosity. I know nothing about this beer.
La Trappe Bockbier: not big on bocks, but it's the season and La Trappe always delivers.
Kornuit: bought out of curiosity. A new pilsner from Grolsch, it seems.

Milchjon

New arrivals:

9983064143_0aa071eb6c_z.jpg

From left to right:

Emelisse White Label Imperial Russian Stout: supposedly god-tier IRS. Barrel aged, a first for me.
De Molen's Vuur & Vlam: hard to describe but really unique beer. Definitely has the quirkiness DM's beers usually have.
Het Uiltje Athena Noctua: double IPA. Previous beers from this really new brewery were pretty solid, so curious how this turns out. Can't say I'm a double IPA expert - this will be my second double IPA.
Livinus: bought out of curiosity. I know nothing about this beer.
La Trappe Bockbier: not big on bocks, but it's the season and La Trappe always delivers.
Kornuit: bought out of curiosity. A new pilsner from Grolsch, it seems.

The Vuur & Vlam wasn't my favorite of theirs.

Report back on the Emelisse, we carry that too and I might have to try it :-D

Milchjon

Wait, V&V is their IPA, right? I miswrote, I got the Pijl & Boog ('Arrow & Bow').

Ah, okay.

Yeah, Vuur & Vlam is designated "IPA-ish". It's not really balanced, the hopping made me think home-brewed.

Absolutely loved Mout & Mocca (sp?), though.

Edit: Not a huge an of Brew Dog's Fake Lager. But maybe that's just me having a hard time to go back after some time with fruitier and darker beers.

It's a heavy beer night. Had a Berkshire Brewery Coffeehouse Porter, which was yummy.
Then a Southern Tier Warlock Pumpkin Imperial Stout, which was very yummy.
Now it is time for a Founders Breakfast Stout.

PG2G

Drinking a Bitter Monk (Belgian Double IPA with Brett) from Anchorage. Pretty damn good... they haven't let me down yet.

This kind of relates to a beer thread as it's best consumed with beer, but I was in a bar in Sydney Australia and was having a nice Young Henrys Real Ale (a great microbrewery based in Newtown) and tried this jerky which was delicious, like the craft brewers version of jerky. The flavour I had was Srirachuan, which is Sriracha and Szechuan Pepper. http://griffinjerky.com.au

bag-flat-sriracha-square_large.jpg

You should check out Young Henrys too if you're australian. Their real ale is delicious

http://www.younghenrys.com

441657153_640.jpg

18.53%? Holy shit. I need to find this, lol.

EDIT: Checked online, they stopped shipping to CT in 2011. NOOOOOOOO!

Rumpkin will probably not make it outside of Colorado. They only make a very small amount of it once a year and they sell the majority of it at their release party at their taphouse in Boulder. What they ship out to local liquor stores sells out in less than a day.

Anybody else going to GABF this year?

I'll be down there, Friday and Saturday. Friday night we're going to Crooked Stave's Barrel Aged Festival.

This is the first year in almost a decade that I am not going to the members session. I tried getting tickets (right when the tickets went on sale) and "someone" (read scalper) already had used my AHA number to buy tickets through Ticketmaster (according to the representative I talked to on the phone). Bummer for me, but I'm going to a lot of different events for the weekend regardless.

Milchjon

Stupid question time:

What exactly is the difference between stout and porter? Not sure I tried more than one porter, and I remember it being overly sweet.

Stupid question time:

What exactly is the difference between stout and porter? Not sure I tried more than one porter, and I remember it being overly sweet.

Generally, at least to me, stouts have a little more emphasis on roast malt where porters get much of their color and flavor form dark crystal and chocolate malt. The American Stout can also be quite a bit hoppier.

I think there has gotten to be quite a bit of overlap between what can be a robust or imperial porter and an American stout.

e.g. Robust Porter and American Stout from Brewing Classic Styles
Brewing Classic Styles said:
Porter:
72% 2-row
9% Munich
8.4% C-40
6.3% Chocolate
4.2% Black Patent

Some British Hops

Stout:
81.2% 2-row
5.6% C-40
5.6% Chocolate
7.5% Roast Barley

Bunch of American Hops

t-ramp

On a slightly relate note, I feel like Saison/Farmhouse is a weird category. I think I've had three beers labeled as such, and they've tasted completely different. I suppose there's something in common under the surface, but it seems broad enough that it's not a meaningful style descriptor.

Also, I've been wanting more glassware, but wasn't sure where to get some. After watching this video on YouTube, I guess I'm going to hit up the local Dollar Tree. I never imagined I'd actually visit that store by myself, but if I can find some cool $1 glasses that would be sweet.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
Stupid question time:

No real difference. Most will tell you porters use Black Patent and Stouts use Roasted Barley, but there are plenty of examples where this isn't true.

The difference is simply what the brewery decides to call it.

No real difference. Most will tell you porters use Black Patent and Stouts use Roasted Barley, but there are plenty of examples where this isn't true.

The difference is simply what the brewery decides to call it.

I think of porters being typically thinner and lighter than stouts. But yeah, pretty subjective.

Probably shouldn't post this then...

NO7AgSZh.jpg

It was good, it's been a long while since I've had any other Chimay than the blue, so I can't compare them, but it was fairly light but still tasty. It was a pretty refreshing, "spicy" taste I can see working very well with food, but it's also good on its own. Too bad it can't be cellared though, I have four more bottles on the way and was hoping I could cellar a few of them.

Rei_Toei

Fclvat sbe Pnanqn, ru?
Snytbaggen: sounds good! I love Chimay's beers so I hope to see the Doree/Goud pop up someday, somewhere. Westmalle also has a table beer like Chimay's Doree, called Westmalle Extra, which is definitely worth tracking down but also rather elusive.

From my recent batch I tried out La Trappe's Bockbier, which was excellent, Grolsch' Kornuit which was completely bland/underwhelming, and Pijl & Boog, which kicks your ass with it's booziness but has a very unique taste. Next up are the DIPA from het Uiltje and Livinus.

PG2G

They have Le Terroir on LetsPour so I just went ahead and bought a couple there since it sounds like it'll be a pain in the butt to get here. First time ordering beer online, hope all goes well lol

Of course I was forced to buy a bunch of other crap in order to avoid paying $20 in shipping -_-

Milchjon

German magazines seem to be jumping on the craft beer bandwagon pretty hard recently.

Loved this article on a collaboration beer between Brooklyn Brewery and a German brewer.

I think you can get the point of this part even if you don't know German:

Insgesamt braucht Max Krieger also wie viel Hopfen mehr als sonst? Wenn sie für so viel Barrell so viel Pfund, dann muss er für wie viel Liter und das in Kilo…? "So we need 20 kilograms of hops", rechnet der Bayer aus. "Twice", sagt Villa. "What? Twice?" Natürlich, erklärt der New Yorker Brauer: Ein Double IPA wird zwei Mal hopfengestopft. "Now you're scared, huh?" knurrt er und grinst. "But that's the way we do it." Alright then. Krieger rechnet: 40 Kilo Hopfen. Das ist zwölf Mal mehr als er sonst verwendet. "Of course you've gotta charge that", sagt der New Yorker.

(They used 12 times as much hops as the German brewer usually would.)

German magazines seem to be jumping on the craft beer bandwagon pretty hard recently.
IMO the European 'craft' beer landscape is a bit different, at least in traditionally 'beer' countries like Germany, Belgium, UK, etc. There's always been a ton of small, local breweries doing solid beer, just like we're seeing now in other places like Spain, Italy, Australia, US.

That said, Germany's beer history is not that adventurous (again, IMO, I mean there's obvious stuff like eisbock) so any experimentation is good by me. Tried to hunt down an actual microbrewery in Munich earlier this year and was met with blank stares when I turned up where it was meant to be and found some shitty bar.

Milchjon

IMO the European 'craft' beer landscape is a bit different, at least in traditionally 'beer' countries like Germany, Belgium, UK, etc. There's always been a ton of small, local breweries doing solid beer, just like we're seeing now in other places like Spain, Italy, Australia, US.

That said, Germany's beer history is not that adventurous (again, IMO, I mean there's obvious stuff like eisbock) so any experimentation is good by me. Tried to hunt down an actual microbrewery in Munich earlier this year and was met with blank stares when I turned up where it was meant to be and found some shitty bar.

I think Germany's position in the beer world is pretty unique.

The difference between us and pretty much every other culture in the world is that we think we are the beer nation. Between the long tradition and stuff like the Reinheitsgebot, it's hard to convince Germans that there's something wrong with our beer. And of course there are quite a few microbreweries all over the country, but they mostly brew the same 3 or 4 styles.

Yet while we think we're the best at beer, there's paradoxically very little actual appreciation for beer. Germans are drinking ever less beer, which combined with the consolidation and industrialisation of brewing has lead to huge amounts of samey beers being brewed. All that has to be sold for ever lower prices.

So Germans have this weird kind of pride about beer, yet they aren't willing to experiment, to pay for better beer, and it's hard to convince them that something has to be done about our beer.

This has lead to us being somewhere between 10 and 25 years behind everyone else when it comes to what you'd think of as craft beer today. We're way, way behind all the anglophone countries, but also behind other Euro countries like Denmark or Holland (Belgium is kinda unique when it comes to beer IMO, so I'm not including them here).

But it's changing, although very slowly. Working at a craft beer store, one thing that helps us is transplants from other countries (Australians, Brits, Americans...) looking for the IPAs and Stouts they can get elsewhere. Then there's young brewers that have worked elsewhere and are now starting smaller breweries focused on flavorful craft beers. And last but not least, there are businessmen who are intrigued by the fact that the margins are way higher with craft beer.

All those things combined will hopefully mean that we can teach Germans about the beauty of beer again. And I'm not excluding myself here. I'm in my mid-twenties, lived here all my life. I only started to really drink beer in my early 20s, and only discovered craft beers and all the styles associated with it in 2012. I'm still learning every day, but I'm also trying to teach already ;-)

Edit: Didn't intend for this to turn into a semi-essay.

codhand

Had a 24oz beer spontaneously combust on me last night. Can't say I've seen that happen. It just was sitting there on a table, no heat, no cold, no nothing, then popped up three inches like a bottle rocket. The bottom completely separated from the rest of the bottle :/

Weirdest part is the name was "Braaains- Imperial Pumpkin Ale" with a Zombie on the front, I think it was cursed...

Top Bottom