• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Beer |OT|

Isn't Black IPA a bit of an oxymoron? Shouldn't it be called an IBA?
Pale ales are called that because they use mostly pale malt, not due to the colour. Black probably uses black malt, which is quite roasted and imparts that taste. You only need a few percent though.

Milchjon

It is, but the IPA style has become very recognizable, and everyone immediately understands what a "black IPA" would be like. Everything else would probably just lead to more confusion.

There are breweries calling their black IPA IBA for that very reason. I think BrewDog simply calls their's Black Ale.

They will always be called Cascadian Dark Ales to me. There was a big debate in the brewing world several years ago about naming the style. Ultimately Black IPA won out for political reasons and we're stuck with the oxymoron.

Regardless, they typically taste fantastic (especially with Chinook and Apollo hops) and (for me) very fun to brew.

Pale ales are called that because they use mostly pale malt, not due to the colour. Black probably uses black malt, which is quite roasted and imparts that taste. You only need a few percent though.

I'll throw in a bit more detail to codswallop's spot-on description. Most Cascadians use dehusked Carafa (debittered) or Midnight Wheat (500+ Lovibond) to make the beer darker without making it bitter (in a grain sense not a hop bitterness) and some quantity of chocolate malt to round out the mid flavors.

fijim

Banned

Yeah, IPAs sell, so calling anything "hoppy" an IPA is mostly marketing now. So we have Black IPAs, Rye IPAs, Triple IPA, Brown IPA, White IPA...

In technical terms many of those don't make sense. Blame marketing.

Malvolio

Hey beer GAF. Got a few questions. I happen to work at a redemption center in MA, and some guy left behind an unopened bottle of Sam Adams Triple Bock. Apparently it was only brewed between 1994 to 1996, and I was told by my boss to not open it because it would taste terrible.

Now my questions, is it legal to sell alcohol online? Is anyone here interested in buying it? I could post a picture if no one believes me. Also, I wonder how much it's worth? My boss said he could sell it through the store and give me the money it makes, but when he looked it up in the computer system, it's only worth 5 bucks. I checked ebay, and a empty bottle is going for a little under 20 bucks. I'm not trying to be greedy, but I'm sure I could get a little more than 5 dollars for it.

It's a nice bottle, I wonder if I should hold onto it for the future, I mean, it's nothing special but it could be cool to own a beer that's never going to be brewed again.

I had some about a year ago and was actually impressed. Had some 2010 Utopias the same night and part of me was more impressed by the Triple considering its age. However, I've read many varying reports about the bottles ability to store and age well. The bottle I tried had some serious sediment on the bottom, but the beer was still very tasty. With a beer like that I would personally try and sell it. There is nothing worse than opening a rare aged beer only to find out it's ruined, undrinkable and now completely worthless. However, if you boss would sell it to you for the $5, it would be a no brainer to open and drink.

Hair of the Dog is releasing 12 bottles of Dave* today for $2,000 a bottle (money goes to charity). Some crazy trade offers are popping up over at Beer Advocate this morning. Highly entertaining.

*For those who don't know, Dave is a 29% old ale. It is basically 300 gallons of Adam that were frozen three times until only 100 gallons of liquid were left. Made once in 1994 and extremely rare. Whalez, yo.

codhand

Hair of the Dog is releasing 12 bottles of Dave* today for $2,000 a bottle (money goes to charity). Some crazy trade offers are popping up over at Beer Advocate this morning. Highly entertaining.

*For those who don't know, Dave is a 29% old ale. It is basically 300 gallons of Adam that were frozen three times until only 100 gallons of liquid were left. Made once in 1994 and extremely rare. Whalez, yo.

1994, ahh 7th grade, if i'd only known then!....

yep, sad but dont get too upset, CT is still pound for pound one of the best distro'd states

kKCuzzE.gif

Good to know. (Finishes another Victory V-Twelve)

fijim

Banned
What's good from Founders? Local shop just got like 5 of their beers.

Dirty Bastard is the best year round IMO, I also like their Centennial IPA.

Breakfast Stout is wonderful.

Red Rye PA is also quite good.

KBS and Backwards Bastard are limited releases that are worth trying to get, but usually sell out fast.

Sappy113

Swamp Head and St. Somewhere.

Swamp Head is your typical brewery with a line up range from light to dark. Standard beers include:

Wild Night - Honey Cream Ale that you can drink for days
Cottonmouth - A nice wheat beer for hotter climates
Stumpknocker - A killer pale ale made for session drinking
Big Nose - IPA not to be trifled with. I generally don't drink it, but I'm not huge on IPAs right now.
Midnight Oil - The best of the bunch in my opinion. Coffee Oatmeal Stout for the ages. Love this at the end of the night. I think it beats Anderson Valley's Oatmeal Stout and it rivals Left Hand's Milk Stout (though they are different beasts and I love each equally)

They also do season and weekly taps on all sorts of things.

St. Somewhere is a brewery that only makes farm ales. Fermented in the bottle, they run about 10-20 bucks, depending on if you get it at a store or bar. Each ale comes in a champagne style bottle with cork and metal cage. Beware, they are extremely lively and the cage actually does hold the cork on. My first bottle just about came uncorked before I fully got the cage off. Made for quite the loud bang. It isn't a beer to really drink alone though. I mean you can, but it is best enjoyed with a friend or two. 2-3 people can split a bottle and still get a buzz, as the ales usually top out at 8-10%. Really worth hunting down if you find yourself near a Total Wine or ABC while in the state.

Thanks man.

Swamphead sounds awesome. Will definately look for those, once I get a chance.

Honey Cream Ale... /drool

codhand

but it's for a good caaaaause!!!

when else is beer, tax deductible!!??

well i think it is if you work as a brewer but when elsee!!??

So I noticed that the store near me is going to get in a batch of these next week:

ucuFUiI.jpg

I've never heard of this particular Chimay beer before, does anyone know anything about it or if it's good? Their regular Blue variant is one of my favorites, so I'm having some hopes for this.

Link

The Autumn Wind
Success at Total Wine tonight. Snagged bombers of Ommegang Take the Black Stout and Cigar City Good Gourd, plus a Stone Vertical Epic 12.12.12 for good measure.

johnsmith

remember me
Drinking the Rochefort Trappistes 10. This is strong. I haven't been this overwhelmed by a beer since trying the Uinta Labyrinth, and that was 13%. It's so boozy. I wasn't ready for this.

Cr0wn0

Did DFH do something different with Punkn this year? I get a big like whole grain cereal taste and no spice really at all, really low carbonation too! Tastes really off!

terrible

Banned
Drinking the Rochefort Trappistes 10. This is strong. I haven't been this overwhelmed by a beer since trying the Uinta Labyrinth, and that was 13%. It's so boozy. I wasn't ready for this.

I'd say unless I'm trying something new there's a 90% chance that I'm drinking something 8-11%. I don't session them though. Wee heavies, imperial ipas, barley wines, weizen bocks, dopplebocks, imperial stouts, strong Belgian ales, etc. I love stronger beers when they're done right.

What do you normally drink as far as style goes?

johnsmith

remember me
I'd say unless I'm trying something new there's a 90% chance that I'm drinking something 8-11%. I don't session them though. Wee heavies, imperial ipas, barley wines, weizen bocks, dopplebocks, imperial stouts, strong Belgian ales, etc. I love stronger beers when they're done right.

What do you normally drink as far as style goes?

Pretty much everything. I have no trouble with 9% Imperial IPAs and Stouts, and I love a good light wheat beer. Right now I'm just trying out different stuff. I try to grab something new every time I go to the liquor store. I've been trying different Belgians, but they're so expensive compared to most domestic microbrews.

Did DFH do something different with Punkn this year? I get a big like whole grain cereal taste and no spice really at all, really low carbonation too! Tastes really off!

I only got a single bottle of Punkin but it tasted fine to me (and recent beeradvocate reviews seem positive). I'm not a huge pumpkin ale guy and never found it super spiced in the past few years but it's possible you just got a bad bottle.

Quads aren't one of my favorite styles (a bit too sweet for me and I'm not super fond of intense raisin/plum flavors in beer) but Rochefort 10 is probably my favorite, though I haven't had Westy. It's definitely intense but hides its alcohol pretty well for being 12%. Nothing gives me hangovers quite like stronger Belgian ales, though.

terrible

Banned
Pretty much everything. I have no trouble with 9% Imperial IPAs and Stouts, and I love a good light wheat beer. Right now I'm just trying out different stuff. I try to grab something new every time I go to the liquor store. I've been trying different Belgians, but they're so expensive compared to most domestic microbrews.

Yeah, you're really lucky to be able to get good American beers at good prices. For me living in Toronto it's not really any more money to drink St Bernardus 12 than it is to drink a Canadian or American beer. Heck, one of the best bargains around is Rochefort 8 at $2.55 a bottle (330ml). That's basically the same price as something from Unibroue.

johnsmith

remember me
Well, even most American beers are pretty expensive because in Utah only the state run monopoly sells liquor, wine, and beers above 4%. In Idaho I can get a 12 pack of Sierra Nevada for $12, here I have to pay 1.70 per bottle. Sam Adams stuff is $2 per bottle. Rogue stuff is 2.50 per bottle, vs maybe $8 for a 6 pack in Idaho. And they never have sales. The selection in most stores is pretty small too. The bulk of the space is for liquor and wine. Beer might take up about 1/6 the space in a standard store.

Here's the price list they post online.
http://abc.utah.gov/products/documents/AlphaPriceList.pdf

The only good thing I can say about the Utah state liquor stores is they let you split packs since they sell by the bottle.

PG2G

Belgian imports seem to be priced comparatively with American craft here, often with the Belgians being cheaper.

Typically you're paying $10-15 for a standard 750ml. Rochefort is a bit of an exception since I think it only comes in 375ml. When it comes to sours/lambics the American stuff is generally much more expensive than Belgian.

terrible

Banned
Well, even most American beers are pretty expensive because in Utah only the state run monopoly sells liquor, wine, and beers above 4%. In Idaho I can get a 12 pack of Sierra Nevada for $12, here I have to pay 1.70 per bottle. Sam Adams stuff is $2 per bottle. Rogue stuff is 2.50 per bottle, vs maybe $8 for a 6 pack in Idaho. And they never have sales. The selection in most stores is pretty small too. The bulk of the space is for liquor and wine. Beer might take up about 1/6 the space in a standard store.

Here's the price list they post online.
http://abc.utah.gov/products/documents/AlphaPriceList.pdf

The only good thing I can say about the Utah state liquor stores is they let you split packs since they sell by the bottle.

From most of what I've looked at from that list so far that is expensive compared to what I've seen in Buffalo and closer to our prices here (though still cheaper!). I should not have generalized, sorry. Your alcohol prices vary state by state as much as ours.

My experience is too limited I guess. I just know in Buffalo I could get Brooklyn beers and such for far cheaper than here ($9 six pack vs $14 six pack) yet when it came to imports it was only marginally cheaper, if not even more expensive. There were exceptions (ie Gouden Corolous Blauw for $20 for four 750ml bottles) but mostly it was true.

So I noticed that the store near me is going to get in a batch of these next week:

ucuFUiI.jpg
Whoa. I've never found this, even in Belgium. Might be a limited (or new) thing? Doree is the monk's table beer and usually only available rarely or at the abbey on tap.

In fact, it's the only Chimay I've not had, and Chimay is responsible for my love of beer. I'd almost be willing to ask you to buy me one and ship it to Australia... What's it cost?

ucuFUiI.jpg

I've never heard of this particular Chimay beer before, does anyone know anything about it or if it's good? Their regular Blue variant is one of my favorites, so I'm having some hopes for this.

I am terrified to think of how expensive that is going to be. But I must try it.

Whoa. I've never found this, even in Belgium. Might be a limited (or new) thing? Doree is the monk's table beer and usually only available rarely or at the abbey on tap.

In fact, it's the only Chimay I've not had, and Chimay is responsible for my love of beer. I'd almost be willing to ask you to buy me one and ship it to Australia... What's it cost?

I am terrified to think of how expensive that is going to be. But I must try it.

I'm definitely gonna try to pick up some bottles then. It's surprisingly cheap, only 25SEK (3,69USD) per bottle, even cheaper than the Blue that's 29SEK per bottle. I'd love to send you some, but iirc it's illegal to send alcohol through mail here and I don't think I'm willing to take the risk :/

I'm definitely gonna try to pick up some bottles then. It's surprisingly cheap, only 25SEK
Had some beer sent over (at ridiculous cost!) earlier this year from Norway no problems, but I understand. I'll just be insanely jealous instead. :)

It'll be cheaper because it's lower alcohol, I wouldn't expect it to taste like other Chimay beers...

Had some beer sent over (at ridiculous cost!) earlier this year from Norway no problems, but I understand. I'll just be insanely jealous instead. :)

It'll be cheaper because it's lower alcohol, I wouldn't expect it to taste like other Chimay beers...

Hmm, apparently people have sent beer over from Sweden to at least America, so it might not be impossible after all... It would probably be very expensive though.

Just heard from a craft beer shop that it is due for release in Australia sometime in the near future too. So excited!

I mean, it's probably not even that great, but I don't care, it's the only* missing Chimay for me.

*Mainline Chimay, not counting special or limited releases.

aceface

I love Brooklyn Brewery, but I'd have to give New York to Ommegang.

I'd agree with you. It's just that the people who write lists like this don't know Upstate NY exists. :p

That being said I do love Brooklyn. Theirs is my favorite Octoberfest.

Apparently only 5 cases are making it to LA :/ Hope you have better luck in seattle

Hasn't hit Seattle yet, but kegs hit Spokane last week.

Our partnership between Elysian and New Belgium should help us get more out here. New Belgium is actually licensed as a Washington state brewery because of it.

PG2G

Hasn't hit Seattle yet, but kegs hit Spokane last week.

Our partnership between Elysian and New Belgium should help us get more out here. New Belgium is actually licensed as a Washington state brewery because of it.

Ah, nice. I gotta do my best to hunt them down, hopefully they will show up on Letspour or something lol.

Whoa pretty great haul! I'm jealous of that Whole Foods sale in SoCal (which I'm guessing accounts for some of that), I'd assumed it was California-wide but was disappointed.

Milchjon

I knew better than to expect a show where we could watch intelligent brewers in the industry talk shop, but I sure didn't expect a Michael Bay-esque epileptic roller coaster, either.

So is it in the style of their normal videos? That pseudo-punk frantic stuff?

Also, we got a pretty big selection of Rogue stuff in the store today.

Tried the Juniper Ale (where's the juniper?), the Dead Guy Ale (okay) and some Hazelnut Ale (bloody awesome).

Any further recommendations? I think we got like 10 different ones, including a Chipotle Ale and several spirits.

Top Bottom