• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Beer |OT|

Had a 24oz beer spontaneously combust on me last night. Can't say I've seen that happen. It just was sitting there on a table, no heat, no cold, no nothing, then popped up three inches like a bottle rocket. The bottom completely separated from the rest of the bottle :/

Weirdest part is the name was "Braaains- Imperial Pumpkin Ale" with a Zombie on the front, I think it was cursed...

High ABV? Infected bottle?

codhand

just over 7% abv, i suppose it could have been infected too, but the floor smelled like delicious pumpkin pie after the freak accident :/

only distro is in PA, where i got it, d'oh... it had to be the one with the cool name and zombie on the front....cursed i say!

it says on the front "Pumpkin Ale for Zombies" i guess it knew i was still living?

just over 7% abv, i suppose it could have been infected too, but the floor smelled like delicious pumpkin pie after the freak accident :/

Sounds like an infected bottle that was over-carbonated. There were some exploding bottles of over-carbed Doggie Claws last year. And then Tactical Nuclear Penguin was known to blow up.

Probably shouldn't post this then...

NO7AgSZh.jpg

It was good, it's been a long while since I've had any other Chimay than the blue, so I can't compare them, but it was fairly light but still tasty. It was a pretty refreshing, "spicy" taste I can see working very well with food, but it's also good on its own. Too bad it can't be cellared though, I have four more bottles on the way and was hoping I could cellar a few of them.

Just out of interest, when you say it can't be cellared, why is that exactly? Is it because its a lighter beer and they don't take well to being kept for long periods of time?

codhand

Tactical Nuclear Penguin :O

haha, nope, that one definitely sounds like it did what it was supposed to,

my rule for the cellar, is 8% and up only, and nothing too hoppy

Rei_Toei

Fclvat sbe Pnanqn, ru?
Local grocery store is having a 25% discount on all Bocks, meaning I can buy sixpacks of La Trappe Bockbier for €4. This has me WAHARBLGARBL

Grabbed another Fat Jack tonight, as well as a Southern Tier Creme Brule Stout. Head good things about the Creme Brule. Like dessert in a bottle. It better be good.

Link

The Autumn Wind
Cracked open the bomber of Cigar City Good Gourd I picked up last week, and damn, this stuff is good. Packs a nice wallup of spices on the back end.

fijim

Banned
Picked up a Firestone Velvet Merkin and an Allagash Merveilleux today.

Recently tried:

Green Flash Green Bullet - Triple IPA, similar to Founders Devil Dancer, good but not as good as a regular IIPA or good regular IPA. These Triple IPAs are a bit too much and start to lose the other flavors in just pure hoppy bitterness. Still a good beer.

Fat Head's Head Hunter IPA - Now this is an awesomely well balanced IPA, definitely pick this one up if you can get it.

Central Waters Brewhouse Coffee Stout - Solid coffee stout, wasn't as good as the reviews were making it out to be, but still a good coffee stout.

Revolution Deth's Tar - Bourbon Barrel Aged Imperial Stout. Tastes boozy, very much like other BA Imperial Stouts. Reminds me of a poor mans Bourbon County Brand Stout, pretty good but I don't think I would pay $15 for a bomber.

DAMN. I was kinda tempted to bite the Terroir bullet on letspour but I've spent too much on beer lately. I'll be back in the LA area next year so I'll have to get you to share all these spots (or just your beer...)!

I finally picked up a sixer of Tumbler yesterday since I'm so sad it's going to be retired. I thought the Flipside Red IPA was okay but I don't really need another hoppy SN seasonal, as much as I love Celebration.

t-ramp

Picked up another mix-and-match six-pack earlier. Red Hook's ESB was decent. I'm currently drinking Wasatch's Pumpkin Ale and it's pretty good.

I think we're getting Le Terroir later this month here in Iowa, so I might pick one up if I can find it and it's not priced too high.

It's Barrel-Aged Beer Day today!

So Germans have this weird kind of pride about beer, yet they aren't willing to experiment, to pay for better beer, and it's hard to convince them that something has to be done about our beer.
I know exactly what you mean. Introducing a German at a Barcelona brewpub to IPAs and stouts earlier this year was great. Watching his eyes during that first sip was awesome.

Well, the Southern Tier Creme Brule tastes like creme brule. Truth in advertising. Yummy and heavy like I like it, but not something I will buy again.

PG2G

DAMN. I was kinda tempted to bite the Terroir bullet on letspour but I've spent too much on beer lately. I'll be back in the LA area next year so I'll have to get you to share all these spots (or just your beer...)!

Haha for sure. I got suckered into buying a couple bottles on Lets Pour also... was told only 5 cases would hit LA so wasn't sure id get any. Had to fill my order with a bunch of overpriced stuff to prevent paying $20 shipping. Never again lol

HiResDes

Well, the Southern Tier Creme Brule tastes like creme brule. Truth in advertising. Yummy and heavy like I like it, but not something I will buy again.

Slightly too sweet.

Also I need to address something about Rogue's Pumpkin offering...Is it just me or is it getting worse every year, this year's batch is fucking horrendous. It has completely lost its somewhat creamy mouthfeel and has become much more bitter, tasting like a pale ale with a hint of pumpkin.

codhand

Slightly too sweet.

Also I need to address something about Rogue's Pumpkin offering...Is it just me or is it getting worse every year, this year's batch if fucking horrendous. It has completely lost it's somewhat creamy mouthfeel and has become much more bitter, tasting like a pale ale with a hint of pumpkin.

will avoid. i think pumpkin beers should be creamy, semi sweet, not spritzy, or bitter, i hate that shit.

i liked their "beard beer" that's been hitting shelves

Beer snob story: yesterday, random guy at the liquor/beer store buying summer shandy--yes it's October didn't stop him-- sees me and a friend browsing beer, " What do you guys like huh? I like dark beers, I mean daark!. Have you tried the pink bottle?" Oh no, i thought... "It's Voodoo Bacon Donut [makes a 'wooo' face], but you have to like dark beers to enjoy it."
ok i'll get right on that.....

i'll never touch that shit, does not even appeal to me, even if it tastes like liquid sex

codhand

Everyone says it's awful, but I'd try it on draft just for fuck's sake, but I've never seen it on draft.

i mean, i guess im with you, im not above trying anything, but it's just funny to me, people who interject, without much background, he was friendly and all, but i recommended he try sam smith oatmeal stout, and kept it moving, im just not super social if i see you hauling a 12 pack of leinenkugel shandy,

cant count how many times im standing there at the store in beer nerd mode, and someone just laser beam targets the busch lite, and is in and out before i can say flanders, certainly something to be said for that too

HiResDes

I wish more people would try Flanders...But I'm a Flanders nut. Also I always recommend Oatmeal Stout and Rasputin to Guinness fans, but I doubt they'll ever drop the two bucks on a pack. The funniest thing to me is that in Cincinnati if you go to one of the cool bars downtown the craft beers will only be like a buck more than Highlife and Bud, but people still seem willing to spend five bucks on shit beer because it's familiar and they can't be bothered with the effort of trying something new.

codhand

I wish more people would try Flanders...But I'm a Flanders nut. Also I always recommend Oatmeal Stout and Rasputin to Guinness fans, but I doubt they'll ever drop the two bucks on a pack. The funniest thing to me is that in Cincinnati if you go to one of the cool bars downtown the craft beers will only be like a buck more than Highlife and Bud, but people still seem willing to spend five bucks on shit beer because it's familiar and they can't be bothered with the effort of trying something new.

yeah, cant save em, if they dont wanna be saved. i wont offer my advice, unless directly asked. i realize not everyone has to enjoy craft beer, i still hope they do

a lot of people dont like beer, they like drinking/getting drunk, when i get drunk it's usually cause i kept wanting to try a different beer

Elysian's Great Pumpkin Beer Festival is this weekend. Going to the Saturday session for the fourth year in a row. I'm not a huge fan of standard pumpkin beers, but this is always a great time. Pumpkin sours (Cascade, Allagash, Jolly Pumpkin, etc.), barleywines, barrel aged pumpkin stouts, pumpkin double IPAs, etc. And they fill gigantic pumpkins with cask The Great Pumpkin Imperial Pumpkin Ale. I wonder if the absolutely terrible Russian River pumpkin sour will show up again? It's really bad, but from what I can tell, only available at GPBF and drives tickers nuts. A couple years ago, it was on tap all day long with no lines, but then last year it was a super secret mystery beer and the keg killed instantly. Gotta love the hype machine.

DJB4ZFl.jpg

I was nice and only bought two bottles. And I'm not complaining about the UPC price mistake (they accidentally priced it at the lower tier Lips of Faith level, not the higher tier that La Folie and Transatlantic Kriek are at, and Le Terroir was at last time it was made) that befell New Belgium with this release. $8 instead of $15 a bottle? Yes, please.

codhand

Goudenband is nice, but it always seems little light and fizzy for some reason.

for sure, it's a rare occasion type thing, def one to split with the gf

i gotta relax tonight, too many BA stouts last night! tomorrow we're having an oktoberfest party, should be good times

aceface

dsc_2759.jpg

My favorite fruit beer. Drinkable for men and women alike.

My wife loves this stuff, she drinks like two bottles a week. It's a good, light fruit beer.

I prefer Liefmann's Cuvee Brut, it's stronger, drier, more flavor. http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/283/56130

Fun fact: Ommegang uses Cuvee Brut in their 3 Philosopher's formula. When I heard that I couldn't get "Hey man I put some beer in your beer so you can be drinking beer while your drinking beer" out of my head.

Jarnet87

Got my hands on a Sam Adams Fat Jack today, my Total Wine just got it in. Don't know how long the supply will last so I'm gonna open it this weekend and grab another bottle or two if I enjoy it.

mcfrank

DJB4ZFl.jpg

I was nice and only bought two bottles. And I'm not complaining about the UPC price mistake (they accidentally priced it at the lower tier Lips of Faith level, not the higher tier that La Folie and Transatlantic Kriek are at, and Le Terroir was at last time it was made) that befell New Belgium with this release. $8 instead of $15 a bottle? Yes, please.

I think it is 8 everywhere since Lets Pour has it for 12 and they mark up everything.

Milchjon

So it's candy fruit soda beer basically? That kinda sounds even sweeter than the sugar-add Lindemanns beers.

http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/283/56414

It tastes a lot like a soda, yeah. But personally i don't think it's too sweet. It's pretty sour and slightly bitter, and really really fruity. Like some guys on beeradvocate said, it's a bit fake, but I don't mind.

There's no beer taste to it at all, but once you get over that, it's lovely.

Link

The Autumn Wind
I'm in New York for my cousin's wedding. Any recommendations I should pick up that I can't get down in Florida?

Top Bottom