• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Beer |OT|

Zefah said:
Jolly Roger is a damn good Christmas Ale. It's definitely my favorite so far this year. I had a six-pack about a month ago, and last week I decided to stock up just to be safe and picked up five six-packs! :lol

Does Maritime Pacific make anything else? They're local to Seattle, right?

Maritime Pacific is out of Ballard, they make a big selection of beers, but Jolly Roger is one of the few that regulary shows up in stores.

http://maritimebrewery.ypguides.net/page/nun9/Brewers_List.html

Hop Henge is also pretty amazing. It's not bitter at all for an IPA. I didn't think Deschutes could do better than Hop Trip, which I love, but Hop Henge was far better in my opinion. Unfortunately the store I found it at only had one bottle. I'm going to have to go searching for some more! As a fellow Seattleite, please tell me where you found it!

Roosevelt Square Whole Foods. I was in there yesterday getting my wife a few things for baking and noticed it. I'm sad that Red Chair NWPA is done for the year, that's my favorite of their big bottled beers.

Phobophile said:
Kegging is overrated. Used Corny kegs are a pain in the ass to get pressurized. Usually the lids fit on only in one direction, it takes up to 3 days to get the volumes of CO2 completely dissolved, and it's a pain in the ass to give out my beer to friends if it's kegged.

I respectfully disagree. My wife got tired of bottling with me and the mess we created. Because of her, I have been kegging my beer for nine years now (sanke kegs) and would never go back. I brew enough for 23L of finished beer and keg 22.5L and bottle 0.5L of every batch (for aging and quality control). I can control carbonation levels easier with kegging, which is great for the variety of styles I make.

As far as passing out beer to friends, you can fill up beer via counter pressure. I fill up growlers/bottles (grolsch flip top style) and take them to house parties on a regular basis and never have had a problem.

HiResDes

f6URx.jpg

:D

Phobophile said:
Kegging is overrated. Used Corny kegs are a pain in the ass to get pressurized. Usually the lids fit on only in one direction, it takes up to 3 days to get the volumes of CO2 completely dissolved, and it's a pain in the ass to give out my beer to friends if it's kegged.

You must be crazy, kegging takes a fraction of the time and is a million times easier.

How are they a pain in the ass to pressurize?

Yes, the lids only fit in one direction, and its extremely obvious which way it fits.

3 days to get the volumes of CO2 from kegging vs 1 week minimum for bottle conditioning? Not to mention, it's extremely easy to completely pressurize in as little as 20 minutes. Pump the pressure up really high and rock the keg back and forth, and boom, it's all ready to drink. I did this just yesterday with a porter I made.

scissorfight said:
one of my new holiday favorites:

S5cCz.jpg

this stuff is amazing.
Been looking for this, hear it is great.

Today is beer day for me. I'm bottling my first batch of homebrew and then I'm off to the local fancy beer store to pick up a bottle of Infinium. I was gonna get two but then I read the reviews on BA. They range from "best beer of the year" all the way to "smells like band--aids". Most are somewhere in between. I'm just getting one now. Don't want to be out $40 and have it turn out to suck.

Get'sMad

I can make out "unibroue" but I can't tell which one it is.

just drink that shit now.

edit: i can see it's la fin du monde.

HiResDes

modernkicks said:
I can make out "unibroue" but I can't tell which one it is.

just drink that shit now.

edit: i can see it's la fin du monde.

Wow, can't believe this has a 9% alc./vol. it's near impeccable, although I've never actually had Chimay White to compare.

So I'm bummed to find out my liquor store / breweries. (?) are already phasing out winter brews. I went to get some more winter blue moon and was told they were out and wouldn't be getting anymore. They even had a spring beer in stock.

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
HiResDes said:
Wow, can't believe this has a 9% alc./vol. it's near impeccable, although I've never actually had Chimay White to compare.
If you can find it, try Orval as well. Less abv at about 6% but incredible taste in the same vein as Fin Du Monde but better.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
KCHusker33 said:
So I'm bummed to find out my liquor store / breweries. (?) are already phasing out winter brews. I went to get some more winter blue moon and was told they were out and wouldn't be getting anymore. They even had a spring beer in stock.

I've been stocking up on Jubelale, Jolly Roger, and Sierra Nevada Celebration Ale over the past few weeks. I should be set until at least late February.

EzLink

Banned
Fuuuuuck. This post is more about "alcoholism" than beer, but I turned 21 a few days ago and have been plastered 4 out of the past 5 nights. What an excellent fucking way to ring in the new decade. Drinking plans for tomorrow and the next night too :D

I just fucking love the sense of camaraderie you get from a session of drinking at the bar with your true, close friends. Unbeatable

Happy (and safe!) drinking in 2011 my fellow GAFfers!

1stStrike

Banned
I generally drink heineken, but when I was in Michigan I had this awesome Microbrewed blueberry ale that came in a 1 gallon jug. Loved it.

Also, you bastards are making me thirsty. I haven't had a beer in months :|

EzLink said:
Fuuuuuck. This post is more about "alcoholism" than beer, but I turned 21 a few days ago and have been plastered 4 out of the past 5 nights. What an excellent fucking way to ring in the new decade. Drinking plans for tomorrow and the next night too :D

I just fucking love the sense of camaraderie you get from a session of drinking at the bar with your true, close friends. Unbeatable

Happy (and safe!) drinking in 2011 my fellow GAFfers!

You are 21. Now it's time to grow up. Going by your enthusiasm you have some serious alcohol problems ahead of you.

EzLink

Banned
WorriedCitizen said:
You are 21. Now it's time to grow up. Going by your enthusiasm you have some serious alcohol problems ahead of you.

WorriedCitizen
(Today, 09:50 AM)

It's mainly because my friends and I are all on Christmas break, so we finally have some time to hang out regularly for the first time since summer. And since we've all turned 21 within the past couple of months, bar hopping is new and exciting. I'm sure the novelty will wear off soon though, and even if it doesn't I am definitely going to be taking it easy once school starts back up next week

Got homebrewing equipment from my mother for Christmas! And a brown ale kit. May just use the stuff in the kit as the start of an all-grain batch. I'd like to make it a nut brown, with pistachios. I've heard you have to skim the oil from nuts to prevent it from killing head retention? And that Tannins could produce astringent flavors at the wrong temperature? Anyone have any experience brewing with nuts?

B For Bendetta said:
Got homebrewing equipment from my mother for Christmas! And a brown ale kit. May just use the stuff in the kit as the start of an all-grain batch. I'd like to make it a nut brown, with pistachios. I've heard you have to skim the oil from nuts to prevent it from killing head retention? And that Tannins could produce astringent flavors at the wrong temperature? Anyone have any experience brewing with nuts?

Have you brewed before? If not, don't start with (imo) stupid, zany recipes involving off the wall ingredients. I've heard brewing with nuts is a huge pain in the balls to begin with, although I haven't heard of problems with astringency, specifically.

oils are going to kill your beer most likely with pistachios

get some down to earth, basic beers under your belt because you start experimenting. If you do this it won't be long at all before you're making anything and anything you can dream of. Trust me on this. You have to make the best damn brown ale you can, and THEN make the best damn pistachio brown ale you can make. This is how great beers are made.

I've done a red ale from a kit, an all grain honey-amber, and something in between a brown and a black. (All with a few other friends, who already had equipment) We usually do a few smaller 'practice' batches to work on the recipe (probably this upcoming weekend). Friend has also done a double IPA. The first (red ale from a kit) was the only one we have fucked up so far. Any experience skimming the oil from nuts? Or dealing with Tannins?

The amount of tannins you get is going to vary greatly between different kinds of nuts I'm guessing. I've never brewed with nuts before and I've never heard of anyone trying pistachios so I'm not sure what to tell you about the tannins.

My approach would still be to come up with a really good base beer first, even in multiple trials if need be, and then do some really exhaustive research on the pistachio part. If you just jump right in I think you're most likely to have a "yeah... it's pretty good" experience, but if you take your time and cover everything to the fullest you'll blow your own mind, and get some really good experience in there that you can then use for later experiments.

I'm honestly still a young brewer myself. I tried making a pumpkin ale in the fall and it was just too many factors. Lots of different spices and additives. The cinnamon became overpowering and I ended up with some infected bottles as well. Since then I've been keeping it simple. Got an Oatmeal Stout about ready for bottling that should be great.

Blah I went into lecture mode.

You should let me know how that oatmeal stout turns out. I'd really like to make a coffee one with some really good quality coffee. Schlafly's method seems pretty simple. Brew the coffee cold toddy style and add it in secondary fermentation

Pistachio information on tannins and oil has been pretty limited in google search/wikipedia/the various homebrewing books I have

Came home this afternoon with 2 bottles of one of my favorite beers in the world that I snagged right quick, Boulevard Bourbon Barrel Quad. Also grabbed a 4-pack of North Coast Pranqster which I have yet to try. Going to be a good weekend!

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Yay! I just found out that a Safeway near my work carries Hop Henge! I grabbed four. They even had a few Hop Trip left over that I picked up, too.

HopHenge_bottle09.gif
HopTrip_bottle09.gif

Leatherface

Had a great Dogfish Head beer last night.

img_4375.jpg

For those who haven't tried this amazing brew, I demand you buy a 6 pack ASAP.

SOOOOOOOOOO GOOD!

Phobophile

A scientist and gentleman in the manner of Batman.
RiggenBlaque said:
You must be crazy, kegging takes a fraction of the time and is a million times easier.

How are they a pain in the ass to pressurize?

Yes, the lids only fit in one direction, and its extremely obvious which way it fits.

3 days to get the volumes of CO2 from kegging vs 1 week minimum for bottle conditioning? Not to mention, it's extremely easy to completely pressurize in as little as 20 minutes. Pump the pressure up really high and rock the keg back and forth, and boom, it's all ready to drink. I did this just yesterday with a porter I made.

Nope, for the amount of turnover I have with my beers, kegging is impractical. With passing out to my homebrew club for critique, entering contests, giving out to friends/family, kegging is just not worth it for me. I'll take the extra 2 weeks to carbonate and use the bottle conditioning to my advantage.

I just don't drink enough of my own beer to have it worthwhile. I don't have a large kegerator; just a mini-fridge gutted out so it can barely hold 2 Corny kegs. And I bottle with my brewing buddy so that's fairly quick.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
distantmantra said:
HOP TRIP!?!?! WHERE??? I NEED.

Safeway in Bellevue close to Bellevue Square. As of this morning they had at least four left!

I also saw a few Hop Trips last weekend at Big Star Beers on 85th and Aurora (I think you mentioned this place earlier in the thread). That place is a bit expensive, though!

Bellevue? Nevermind. I refuse to go to the Eastside.

Yeah, Big Star can be pricey. I only buy things there that I can't get at Whole Foods/Safeway/QFC/Fred Meyer.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
distantmantra said:
Bellevue? Nevermind. I refuse to go to the Eastside.

Yeah, Big Star can be pricey. I only buy things there that I can't get at Whole Foods/Safeway/QFC/Fred Meyer.

I don't blame you! I wouldn't ever come here if I didn't work in Bellevue.

I think Big Star was selling Hop Trips for around $6.50 each, while Safeway had them for $4.99. Big Star has an awesome selection for sure, but it definitely comes at a premium.

Zefah said:
I don't blame you! I wouldn't ever come here if I didn't work in Bellevue.

I think Big Star was selling Hop Trips for around $6.50 each, while Safeway had them for $4.99. Big Star has an awesome selection for sure, but it definitely comes at a premium.

Well yeah, they don't have any other way to make money, unlike Safeway. Plus they don't have the backing of a massive national chain.

Phobophile said:
Nope, for the amount of turnover I have with my beers, kegging is impractical. With passing out to my homebrew club for critique, entering contests, giving out to friends/family, kegging is just not worth it for me. I'll take the extra 2 weeks to carbonate and use the bottle conditioning to my advantage.

I just don't drink enough of my own beer to have it worthwhile. I don't have a large kegerator; just a mini-fridge gutted out so it can barely hold 2 Corny kegs. And I bottle with my brewing buddy so that's fairly quick.

Then it's not "overrated" then, is it? It's impractical for you

Treo360

Okay experts, I just started drinking, after years of hating beer. I tried Blue moon, and Hoegaarden, also Leinenliugels. I like them. Anything else in this vein? The sweeter the wheat taste the better.

tokkun

Treo360 said:
Okay experts, I just started drinking, after years of hating beer. I tried Blue moon, and Hoegaarden, also Leinenliugels. I like them. Anything else in this vein? The sweeter the wheat taste the better.

Great Lakes Holy Moses
Weihenstephaner Hefeweiss (if you have a hard time finding this brand, Paulaner and Franziskaner are decent substitutes)
Leffe Blonde
New Glarus Spotted Cow

HiResDes

Treo360 said:
Chimay White maybe.

Treo360

tokkun said:
Great Lakes Holy Moses
Weihenstephaner Hefeweiss (if you have a hard time finding this brand, Paulaner and Franziskaner are decent substitutes)
Leffe Blonde
New Glarus Spotted Cow
Thanks I forgot to mention I've had Hefewiess (In a U.F. O. label whatever that means)
Leffe Blond was okay but made me a bit sick. Will try Great lakes and the Paulaner as well as the others.

Thanks. Belgium Whites are tasty, but there was this one beer that smelled strong of wheat and was featured at my local beer garden. Now I'm on a mission to find it out.

HiResDes said:
Chimay White maybe.
will buy that too.

163737_10150146371203712_136444978711_8175594_616973_n.jpg

My neighborhood pub does a Winter/Spring beer series every year. Can't wait for Rogue to visit in February!

Also, Red Chair is out for the year. Get it while you can!
2uejqtf.jpg

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Interesting... I'm going to run to a few stores and see if I can find some Red Chair. I've never heard of it before.

Zefah said:
Interesting... I'm going to run to a few stores and see if I can find some Red Chair. I've never heard of it before.

It's a seasonal beer that comes out after Jubeale. It typically has a run of January to April, and it's my favorite Deschutes beer. I think this is the second year they've produced it in smaller bottles.

Brewed my brown extract kit this weekend! Turned out a lot better, thus far. I gave up on the nuts, everything I read says nut extract works easier and offers better flavor. So when we rack to secondary fermentation I'm adding nut extract and maple extract. Maple Nut Brown anyone?

IMG_20110112_172805.jpg

One of the last remaining bottles of my lemon coriander dunkelweiss (I use that term lightly in this case). Easily one of my best beer's so far and the only one I can sort of call my own recipe. I need to get another batch going sometime shortly. I am really surprised at how much the lemon flavor has come forward after sitting for ~6 months. It has also gotten way easier to drink, which may be bad considering its a 6%, light feeling, wheat beer.

Anyone else been enjoying the sweet, pungent bliss that is bell's hopslam? Dear god every time this beer hits my mouth I am in heaven. If only it weren't $18 a six pack or I were rich.

Top Bottom