• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Beer |OT|

Jackson50

HappyBivouac said:
Anyone else been enjoying the sweet, pungent bliss that is bell's hopslam? Dear god every time this beer hits my mouth I am in heaven. If only it weren't $18 a six pack or I were rich.
I can attest to hopslam's delectability. And Bell's is a superlative brewery. I am drinking Bell's Amber Ale tonight. Cheers.

0gKzf.jpg

HappyBivouac said:
Anyone else been enjoying the sweet, pungent bliss that is bell's hopslam? Dear god every time this beer hits my mouth I am in heaven. If only it weren't $18 a six pack or I were rich.
i absolutely love that stuff.

I have 5 gallons of Brown Ale in Secondary Fermentation, added Imitation Almond extract and Maple extract from the baking aisle. I'm going to bottle it using maple syrup as the priming sugar. Also have ten gallons of Irish Style Stout for St. Patty's day in primary fermentation.

Pictures and Taste results to come...

IMG_20110119_130952.jpg

Just got my stir plate built and running. Trying to revive an old wild yeast I harvested this summer, but 5 hrs on the plate and no sign of activity. The good thing is I finally got this to run more or less silently! Better starters here I come!

Guileless

Temp Banned for Remedial Purposes
What do yall pay for a 6 pack of Guiness draught? In my area it's anywhere from $8.99-10.99.

Stalfos

Guileless said:
What do yall pay for a 6 pack of Guiness draught? In my area it's anywhere from $8.99-10.99.
I think I usually see it around $8-9.

Edit: Just looked up the site for the liquor store near me, $1.29 for a single, $6.99 for a six pack, $11.99 for a 12 pack.

Triz

Picked up Sierra Nevada's latest bomber:

Sierra-Nevada-Hoptimum-Label-791x1024.jpg

7.99 and 100+ IBU .

Lets see how it compares to my favorite hop monster Stone Brewing's Ruination.

Guileless

Stalfos said:
I think I usually see it around $8-9.

Edit: Just looked up the site for the liquor store near me, $1.29 for a single, $6.99 for a six pack, $11.99 for a 12 pack.

Holy shit, $7 for a 6 pack of Guiness? I'm living in the wrong place. Yesterday I went to a grocery store I rarely visit and it was $8.49 for a six pack. That's definitely the cheapest I've ever seen.

I've never had Smithwick's. Unfortunately my state still has ridiculous laws about the permissible alcohol content of beers that makes our selection is limited.

Stalfos

Guileless said:
Holy shit, $7 for a 6 pack of Guiness? I'm living in the wrong place. Yesterday I went to a grocery store I rarely visit and it was $8.49 for a six pack. That's definitely the cheapest I've ever seen.

I've never had Smithwick's. Unfortunately my state still has ridiculous laws about the permissible alcohol content of beers that makes our selection is limited.
I'm in the Vegas area so there is a good chance the alcohol laws more lax than where you live, you might also have extra taxes on your alcohol depending on where you are at. Right around the corner from me is this awesome liquor store called Total Wine & More, beyond having the biggest selection of wine I've ever seen they also have probably the largest selection of beer and liquors as well, and their prices are pretty good. A couple of times I've made my own six pack by picking up some singles of beers I haven't tried.

Smithwick's is pretty good and has a nice creamy head like Guinness but its also tastes quite different since its a Irish red ale.

ChiTownBuffalo

Either I made up lies about the Boston Bomber or I fell for someone else's crap. Either way, I have absolutely no credibility and you should never pay any attention to anything I say, no matter what the context. Perm me if I claim to be an insider
l87-11052001-880.gif

I miss this place.

tokkun

Guileless said:

Both the standard Guinness and Smithwicks have lower alcohol content than Budweiser, Coors, MGD, PBR, etc.

Now I do enjoy a Guinness from the tap on occasion, but it's always mystified me how these Irish-styled beers have gained the reputation of being these massive stouts when they are low on ABV and have very muted flavor.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Saw at the local liquor shop that lagunitas gnarly wine is available right now.
Probably my favorite of their yearly limited releases.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
B For Bendetta said:
I had a Left Hand Milk Stout last night on Nitro tap. Holy shit

I've only had it in bottle form, but it was damn good. I'm attempting to lose a ton of weight right now and am limiting my drinking to one night a week. I now really have to choose carefully what I'll have...

Stalfos

thespot84 said:
New place opened up a block from my house...it's pretty rad:
Based on this menu I'm assuming you are in Colorado? You ever hear of Kannah Creek Brewing Company? Its a brew pub in Grand Junction that I went to when driving through the state and I really liked the place.

Clydefrog said:
Just finished playing soccer so I'm treating myself to one of these:

Sr1dD.jpg

if only I was on Maui...

God yes. Drinking these/their Big Swell IPA on Maui may be my greatest beer memory of all time.

Guileless

tokkun said:
Now I do enjoy a Guinness from the tap on occasion, but it's always mystified me how these Irish-styled beers have gained the reputation of being these massive stouts when they are low on ABV and have very muted flavor.

With Guiness, I think it's the dark color. People see that poured into a clear pint glass and do a double take. It is so different from the light yellow swill that everyone drinks.

Seth C

Guileless said:

I personally prefer it in the can, and I find that it is usually a better deal that way. The volume of beer is quite similar between the 4 pack of cans and the 6 pack of bottles. Anyway, right now Kroger has the cans on sale for $6.79.

tokkun said:
Both the standard Guinness and Smithwicks have lower alcohol content than Budweiser, Coors, MGD, PBR, etc.

Guinness definitely has more flavor and a heavier mouth feel than any of the standard American beers. It's also one of my favorites. It isn't as alcoholic as many other beers, but the amount of flavor and body you get for the caloric content of the beer may be second to none. Yes, the flavor is muted compared to Left Hand's milk stout or Bell's java stout, but it has a great balance. I can drink it alone or with a bite to eat. For me it has just that right balance such that it can be an anytime beer without being dull.

So much good beer. The homebrewers had some awesome showings as did Odell out of ft Collins and Nebraska brewing company (who's Brewer is originally from oskar blues in Lyons Co. )

Slo

I like Odell's an awful lot, nice little brewery.

My local pub just got HopSlam on tap, and had a special event tapping of a keg of Surly Abrasive the other night. So good.

thespot84

Stalfos said:
Based on this menu I'm assuming you are in Colorado? You ever hear of Kannah Creek Brewing Company? Its a brew pub in Grand Junction that I went to when driving through the state and I really liked the place.

Yeah I'm in CO but don't get a lot of stuff from the western slope. I'll have to check it out, thanks.

Slo said:
I like Odell's an awful lot, nice little brewery.

My local pub just got HopSlam on tap, and had a special event tapping of a keg of Surly Abrasive the other night. So good.

It's been my favorite for about a year, everything they make is at least good and their pale (5 barrel) and Ale (90 shilling) are just awesome.

Fusebox

Banned
I've been sampling American beers for the last fortnight while travelling through the US, so far I've only had two memorable drops, Brooklyn Brewery and Yuenlings. I've been smashing down the Yuenlings, such a great refreshing beer.

thespot84

Fusebox said:
I've been sampling American beers for the last fortnight while travelling through the US, so far I've only had two memorable drops, Brooklyn Brewery and Yuenlings. I've been smashing down the Yuenlings, such a great refreshing beer.

what does 'through the US' mean? Yuengling is like the best worst beer in the world: I'd take it over any macrobrew, but I wouldn't judge american beer by it. Where have you been so far? Will you be stateside in the fall?

Fusebox

Banned
San Fran, NYC and now Florida, but I'm reduced to asking whatever restaurant/bar I'm in for their local lists. Scratch all the pissweak watery Miller, Bud shit and that doesn't leave much. Sam Adams is a horror, Brooklyn is passable, Sierra pale was too cloudy for my liking, Yuenling is decently crisp and drinkable.

I've still been ordering Leffe Blondes every time I can find a Hard Rock though, if theres a readily available American beer that comes close I'm all ears.

Slo

Fusebox said:
San Fran, NYC and now Florida, but I'm reduced to asking whatever restaurant/bar I'm in for their local lists. Scratch all the pissweak watery Miller, Bud shit and that doesn't leave much. Sam Adams is a horror, Brooklyn is passable, Sierra pale was too cloudy for my liking, Yuenling is decently crisp and drinkable.

I've still been ordering Leffe Blondes every time I can find a Hard Rock though, if theres a readily available American beer that comes close I'm all ears.

According to Wikipedia, Bell's Brewery out of Michigan distributes to Florida. If you can find a liquor store while you're there, look for either a Two Hearted IPA or HopSlam, which is a seasonal double IPA.

Fusebox

Banned
Im out at the theme parks so I don't think there's any bottle-o's around, but thanks for the pro-tip, I'll keep an eye out.

Do yourself a favor and go to a beer bar or Wine and Beer store. The US is the number one place when it comes to diversity in beer selection.

In other news, I went to a homebrewers meeting today in the St. Louis Metro Area. Tried a guy's coconut milk stout that was stellar. They had an Iron Brewer finals for Hot Pepper Beer, which was between a Helles Lager and an American Wheat. The Wheat was so spicy. It was unbelievable. Very cool experience.

Fusebox

Banned
B For Bendetta said:
The US is the number one place when it comes to diversity in beer selection.
Citation required. What quality beers can you get in the US that aren't available in say, Australia or England?

HiResDes

Fusebox said:
Citation required. What quality beers can you get in the US that aren't available in say, Australia or England?

Can you get stuff by Rogue, Dogfish Head, Surly, Ithaca Beer Company,Three Floyds, Stone, Bell's , Deschutes, Russian River, or Founders in Engliand or Australia? These are all top tier breweries by any standards.

He likes Yuengling and says nonsensical things like that bit about Sierra Nevada Pale Ale being "too cloudy for [his] liking." Probably an Australian and has never had a chance to develop a taste for good beer.

Fusebox

Banned
slidewinder said:
He likes Yuengling and says nonsensical things like that bit about Sierra Nevada Pale Ale being "too cloudy for [his] liking." Probably an Australian and has never had a chance to develop a taste for good beer.
Well given the limited selection Ive encountered in your bars and restaurants, it's hard to judge otherwise.

Wait, what? All I said was that Yuenling was better than Miller, Bud etc, is that so far from the truth??

HiResDes

HiResDes said:
Just picked this up on an impulse while coming back from a road trip...I had after seeing the oldest brewery in America tag

2108960_f520.jpg

...So far it's decent, but as a guy that usually drink Smithwicks the taste is a little underwhelming as the after taste is a bit too bitter and it needs a little more chocolate and a little less steel in its palette.

Here's my old very brief review of the Black & Tan, I didn't hate it...And thought it was decent for the price.

Fusebox

Banned
Such an unlikely name for Americas oldest beer, it sounds proper Chinese, but is it actually Dutch (Pennsylvanian)?

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
So I'm pretty new to drinking beer. I've had a few different lagers thus far, and honestly I really can't taste too much of a difference between the ones that I've had. How long would you guys say that I took for you to taste the differences between the different lagers?

Top Bottom