• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Beer |OT|

t-ramp

Picked up my first sixer of the season of SN Celebration yesterday. It's a bit early for it to be rekindling all my holiday nostalgia but I'm not complaining, it's as delicious as ever. RIP Tumbler, though, now Celebration's the only SN seasonal I'll be looking forward to.
I saw some Celebration at Hy-Vee earlier but ended up getting Boulevard's 12-pack sampler. I hope I don't manage to miss it, since I usually get a sixer of Sierra Nevada's seasonals when I notice them.

Finishing off an 80-Acre now. Pretty good, and the Mid-Coast IPA was a solid brew as well. Looking forward to trying the Rye ale also, probably tomorrow.

ShinAmano

I mean trading beer is common enough, especially on other forums, but I'm not sure what stance GAF would take; I remember electronic music-GAF running into some issues with trading mixes. That said, though I've never traded beer (I didn't turn 21 until last year plus it's really expensive to ship), I would be down to try for some sort of GAF beer trading/BIF assuming it's allowed and there's enough interest and regions represented.

Drinking my Deschutes Green Monster right now. It's pretty good, not amazing but nice and sour and the wine barrels shine through. The only other sour I've had from Deschutes is The Dissident and honestly this tastes kinda similar from what I remember, very much like an oude bruin. If anyone in the bay area is still looking there was a bunch at Berkeley Bowl when I went today. Lots of Velvet Merkin at the Trader Joes in Berkeley and Rockridge too.

Cr0wn0

The general rule with beer trading is pack it well and only ship ups/fedex. If UPS or Fedex finds out its beer they will confiscate it. I get beer shipped at least 10x a year and have never had an issue. I don't think there is anything explicitly illegal about trading or sending beer to friends.

The issue with shipping beer isn't so much the legality of it, but the cost.

http://barlowbrewing.com/2010/11/11/how-to-pack-and-ship-beer/

It's illegal for non-distributors to ship alcohol, but people do it all the time. And yeah, the shipping costs are outrageous. I've made a couple trades in the past, but I've got access to too much good stuff so trading isn't super enticing to me. I'd rather use that money that would be spent on shipping towards other stuff.

Link

The Autumn Wind
It's illegal for non-distributors to ship alcohol
I know it is, because you and I had this exact discussion a little while back. I just mean that the legality of it isn't what's stopping most people here from doing it. They'd likely roll the dice if not for the costs involved.

I know it is, because you and I had this exact discussion a little while back. I just mean that the legality of it isn't what's stopping most people here from doing it. They'd likely roll the dice if not for the costs involved.

Oh yeah, you won't face any sort of legal ramification if UPS or FedEx catches you shipping beer, they'll just confiscate and destroy it.

I know guys who trade growlers and cases of beer all the time. I've been invited to their bottle shares and it is awesome, but I can't imagine how much they drop on shipping. My beer hobby is expensive enough already. #mindblown

ShinAmano

Well I am in Richmond VA with access to:
Hardywood Park Craft Brewery
Legend Brewing
Apocalypse Ale Works
Blue Mountain Brewery
Bold Rock Cidery
Center of the Universe
Devils Backbone Brewing
O'Conner Brewing
Star Hill Brewery
Wild Wolf Brewing

Some other smaller micobrew places. ..and my own homebrew ;)

If you do want to get into shipping, you should look into wine bottle shippers:

http://www.uline.com/Product/Detail...gclid=CP_0o8uVsLoCFeJDMgod7BwAvQ&gclsrc=aw.ds

Yes, it can be pricey, but the other person is spending just as much to send you beer.
i use these for shipping beer from socal to michigan and back. they work well and keep the noise down so you wouldn't know there's even beer in there. just throw your shipping label right over the "alcohol notice" label.

ShinAmano

I'm really glad CotU has worked out for Chris Ray. When he was pitching for the Mariners, he started the Homefront IPA project with Fremont Brewing. I met him a couple times at beer events out here, really nice guy.
Went to the grand opening. Good times...the beer didn't click with me, but it is gaining traction around town.

For as much as I worshipped Stone Espresso Imperial Stout, I never tried their regular Russian Imperial Stout until tonight. Damn, this thing is tasty.

Yeah the regular Stone IRS is fantastic and a pretty great deal as far as bombers go. I guess four-packs of, say, Old Rasputin and Narwhal are better values per ounce but I look forward to Stone IRS every year and wish I had the patience to cellar it. My main problem is that it comes out in April when it's way too hot out where I am to really enjoy it but there are still bottles around I should seek out in this colder weather.

I finally tried Almanac's Heirloom Pumpkin Barleywine yesterday and wow I think I have a new favorite pumpkin beer. I only got a small taste because the bar was selling it for $10 a pour but I'm kicking myself for passing up on the bottles I saw earlier this fall. The taste from the brandy barrels is just perfect. So far I've only had the Farmers Reserve 3, Dogpatch Sour, and this from them but all three have been incredible and I can't wait to see what they do next with their barrel-aged stuff.

Yeah the regular Stone IRS is fantastic and a pretty great deal as far as bombers go. I guess four-packs of, say, Old Rasputin and Narwhal are better values per ounce but I look forward to Stone IRS every year and wish I had the patience to cellar it. My main problem is that it comes out in April when it's way too hot out where I am to really enjoy it but there are still bottles around I should seek out in this colder weather.

Just had Narwhal for the first time the other day, and it was very good. Also a fan of Otter Creek Russian Imperial Stout, but it is spotty in availability here.

I picked up some Founders Breakfast Stout earlier. Haven't had any yet but looking forward to trying it.

Oh, god. It is so great. Like breakfast in a bottle. I had it one night a month or so ago and loved it, and have been tempted to grab a pack again. The other night, I finally decide to bite and get more, and every store is sold out. :(

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
Oh, god. It is so great. Like breakfast in a bottle. I had it one night a month or so ago and loved it, and have been tempted to grab a pack again. The other night, I finally decide to bite and get more, and every store is sold out. :(

You goofed, Bone.

I haven't found a single bottle since I first had it :(

You goofed, Bone.

I haven't found a single bottle since I first had it :(

I knooooow. :(
It was everywhere for the last month or so, but I was so caught up in trying new stuff instead of going back to it. But vacation started this week and I thought I needed my breakfast in a bottle, and it is nowhere now. Well, I did find it at two stores the other day, but they are $2 more than my regular places. So I grabbed Narwhal, Leviathan IPA, and Stone Imperial Stout instead.

terrible

Banned
He'Brew Jewbelation Sweet 16
Cuvée Van De Keizer Blauw
Dark Lord Imperial Stout

A few more sweet beers for you if you're interested.

I'm serious. Boneyard. RPM.

Their Hop Venom is killer, but it's an Imperial IPA and you shouldn't dive head first into Imperials without wading into standard IPA territory.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
utoGepo.jpg

I'm gonna be snagging a six pack of Icabod to celebrate the weekend. It's nothing amazing, but it's a fun seasonal. I haven't found a better pumpkin beer in my area. Autumn by far is my favorite time for beer. <3

PG2G

Yeah, I'm looking forward to it. Goose Island seems like one of the more solid breweries out there. I still wonder wtf they could have done to these Farmhouse ales to make them cost $30.

It doesn't mention anything about aging

HiResDes

I think Matilda is the best, Sofie is like a fine wine, and Lolita is quite tasty as well...
Sofia and Matilda definitely come in 4 packs here for much cheaper than that.

Top Bottom