• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Beer |OT|

PG2G

I think Matilda is the best, Sofie is like a fine wine, and Lolita is quite tasty as well...
Sofia and Matilda definitely come in 4 packs here for much cheaper than that.

Yeah, Sofie, Matilda, and a couple others I normally find in 750ml bottles for $10-12.

Nevermind, found a description

Gillian was inspired by an amuse bouche that was often prepared by the wife of Goose Island Brewer Keith Gabbett. New for 2013, Gillian is a Belgian Style Farmhouse Ale that brings together fresh ingredients sourced locally from family farms in Michigan and Illinois. Gillian is partially aged in wine barrels with 10,000 pounds of strawberries, 4,000 pounds of honey and white pepper. Its refreshing effervescent body is slightly tart and is complemented by a pronounced white pepper note that folds nicely into the sweeter hints of strawberry and honey. Gillian is 9.5% alcohol by volume and develops in the bottle for up to 5 years.

Halia, Hawaiian for “remembrance of a loved one”, was brewed by Goose Island Brewer Brian Taylor in memory of a dear friend who loved peaches. New for 2013, Halia is a Belgian Style Farmhouse Ale aged in wine barrels with 12,000 pounds of fresh peaches, sourced locally from a family farm in Michigan. The result is a bright, effervescent beer with a soft, hazy body that finishes slightly tart and a little sweet with the pleasant character of ripe, juicy peaches. Halia is 7.5% alcohol by volume and develops in the bottle for up to 5 years.

Sounds fantastic :O

Yeah I think peaches and nectarines could get me to ignore pretty much any pricetag. I honestly don't think I've ever had a Goose Island beer, though a lot are pretty common near me. Hopefully by some miracle I'll find some BCBS when it hits California this year.

PG2G

I'd say IPAs have the price/quality ratio on lock but that's about it.

On another note, I had Mogli last night. Was a fantastic beer, like an alcoholic version of chocolate milk.

fijim

Banned
Today's haul

Hope this stuff is good. I've never paid $28.99 for a Saison in my life.

I picked up the same haul this past week. Looking forward to trying some of them. I hear Lolita is going to be a year round now.

They are quite pricey though.

WorldStar

Banned
I'd say IPAs have the price/quality ratio on lock but that's about it.

Fair enough. IPA is my favorite style of beer, and when I hit up the store and see something like a 6 pack of Racer 5 selling for ~$7, it really makes my decision on what to buy pretty easy.

Highly hopped and darker beers are much more forgiving when brewing and will hide poor ingredients, process or mistakes better than other ones.

Not to say West Coast-style IPAs aren't bad. Just some can be a bit unrefined.

Southern Tier Creme Brulee
Only one shipment came to Australia this year and I missed out. :(

fenners

Jester King SourFest this afternoon. Quite looking forward to this :)

Apart from the the Jester King beers, they'll have:

Argus Cidery Idalou Brut
Hops & Grain Funk del Roble
Hops & Grain Volumes of Funk
Austin Beerworks Einhorn
Ranger Creek Small Batch Series No. 6
Texas Sake Company Fresh Pressed Sake
Prairie Artisan Ales Prairie Standard
Prairie Artisan Ales Prairie Somewhere
Prairie Ale
Prairie Galaxy
BFM Abbaye de Saint Bon Chien
BFM Square Root 225th Anniversary Saison
BFM Douze
BFM Alex Le Rouge
BFM Tarry Suchong
Birra del Borgo L’Equilibrista
Hitachino Nest XH
Rodenbach Grand Cru
Etienne Dupont Reserve Cider
Mikkeller It’s Alive!
Petrus Aged Pale
Monk’s Cafe
Silly Saison
Silly Sour

codhand

Jester King SourFest this afternoon. Quite looking forward to this :)

Apart from the the Jester King beers, they'll have:

damn you, i was just there, yesterday!

had to fly home or i woulda stayed there forever, it's like paradise

Dat 225 sq root saison tho, shit is ridiculous, buy it all.

also jealous of Five Points being there

guide showed us the stock room, for the fest, said it was full, had me drooling....

took home a bottle of RU55 and Boxer's Revenge :)

fenners

damn you, i was just there, yesterday!

had to fly home or i woulda stayed there forever, it's like paradise

It is a nice place to have a beer or two - farmland out on the edge of the Hill Country.

The Funk & Sour Fest was "interesting" - a great beer lineup, great food & atmosphere as expected, but horrible lines for certain elements.

Because of scalping/resale problems in the past that people complained about, everyone had to provide ID & get checked off a list at the gate causing a /long/ line (upto 2 hours allegedly).

The beer was split between three lines (A/B/C) with the interesting beer spread across the three. Line C was the closest to the entrance & also had a 'secret surprise' that we all got one blue ticket for (Cantillon Gueze....). Line C's line was ridiculous for most of the afternoon - twice the length of B. B was often twice the length of A... People consistently ignored A for some reason, and it had the best beer at the fest - Jester King's Apricot sour.

The "bottles to go" line was even longer than C for most of the fest & I'd say it was a good two hour wait. There was a limited edition two bottles for presold VIPs & a limited edition of another JK bottle, as well as a bunch of other rare sours for Texas. Slow, slow, slow going. Jester King have apologised profusely for this (and the head guy apologised in person to me & a buddy as we walked around the brewery).

But it was worth it... The beers rocked... The atmosphere was cool... The food was good...

Got a four pack of Dog Fish Head Olde School tonight.
olde-school-barleywine.png

Barleywine made with figs and dates. Basically tastes like a quad. 15% ABV. Yeah, one bottle is enough for the night.

Rubbish King

The gift that keeps on giving
Got a four pack of Dog Fish Head Olde School tonight.
olde-school-barleywine.png

Barleywine made with figs and dates. Basically tastes like a quad. 15% ABV. Yeah, one bottle is enough for the night.

Ahh I envy you, I've been watching the brewers tv show and maaan I wanna try some of their beers, Wells (UK brewers) brewed up a batch of their New World IPA and it was fucking fantastic

Stumbled across this during my interneting last night, seems like a pretty splendid way to communicate with ale drinkers around the UK, good potential if enough people get on to it!

mattp

if anyone in nj or pa can find any remaining bottles of this stuff, i definitely suggest checking it out. one of the best pumpkin beers i've had

1375951_10100301730516736_48414737_n.jpg

http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/29021/99244

neshaminy creek, based out of croydan, pa. if you're in the area theyve got a giftshop thats usually open on weekends with different stuff(and one offs) on tap all the time

t-ramp

Today's haul

Hope this stuff is good. I've never paid $28.99 for a Saison in my life.
Three of the sisters arrived in town today, but there's no way I'm paying that much for a bottle or beer or three. I ended up grabbing a Sam Adams Winter Lager and some Tallgrass Ethos IPA.

Drinking a beer... Base Camp's In Tents IPL. It is stronger than their Rye Pils, that's for sure. $4.49 is a bit better value than $9.50 for the size of bottle. Also got a Mickey's Malt Liquor for later... Happy Halloween!

t-ramp

oh sweet!! it's that time of year when the larger breweries come out with their best stuff :D

sam adams winter lager too pls
Winter Lager is on the shelves here. Apparently SA's Octoberfest is more popular than their Summer Ale. It seemed like it took a while for stores to get rid of their bombers of the Summer Ale and switch to Octoberfest. And now we're already on to the Winter Lager...

Is the Gingerbread Stout good? It sounds like it, so hopefully it will show up here.

BX8qEzLCUAEBTe6.jpg

Pretty good. Very slight bitterness, some sweet, but more spice than anything. So much like Fat Jack in that regard. Basically tastes like a potent gingerbread cookie.

Cr0wn0

Local Brewery tapped it's Pecan Pie brown Ale today. Whole pecan pies, dry hopped with Pecan's and vanilla beans. Arizona for years has only had standard breweries, awesome to finally see some experimentation.

Tonight from Green Flash Brewing Company I'm having Green Bullet, which reports itself as a "Triple IPA".
That's a whole lot of green.
As expected, it's nearly undrinkable. I guess it's interesting to see just how far the style can be taken though.

I also got Coffee Ale from Boulevard, although I'm not drinking it tonight.

My store also has an ale aged in Wild Turkey barrels, made by Anderson Valley, one of my favorite breweries. I really want to give that one a try.

My store also has an ale aged in Wild Turkey barrels, made by Anderson Valley, one of my favorite breweries. I really want to give that one a try.

It's nowhere near being one of the best bourbon barrel stouts out there but it's pretty tasty (though kinda thin and bourbon-heavy) and pretty cheap for its style at around 10 dollars a bomber where I am. A while ago I had a sour barrel-aged stout of theirs on tap somewhere and it was incredible, though.

Kwixotik

I was at this beer tasting today and my girlfriend wanted me to pick up some banana bread beer while I was there. One of the guys from the tasting saw me buying it and told me he heard it's really good if you mix it with Young's Double Chocolate Stout so I grabbed a can on my way out without looking at the price. $10 for a single can of this ghetto looking shit, it better be good.

I was at this beer tasting today and my girlfriend wanted me to pick up some banana bread beer while I was there. One of the guys from the tasting saw me buying it and told me he heard it's really good if you mix it with Young's Double Chocolate Stout so I grabbed a can on my way out without looking at the price. $10 for a single can of this ghetto looking shit, it better be good.

$10 for a can and with that low of an ABV? It better taste like fucking heaven.

Top Bottom