• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Beer |OT|

Went to a bar I hadn't been to yet today and tried some great stuff, kinda scared of how often I'm gonna go now:

-New Belgium La Folie. I'd never had this before since the bottles are a bit uh pricey but this was a 10oz pour for four dollars so I had two and DAMN. Probably the most sour beer of its style I've had and I loved it.

-Lagunitas High-Westified Cappuccino Stout, which is a bourbon barrel-aged version of the regular. I only had a taster of it because I'm normally not huge on bourbon barrel-aged stouts but this was pretty good, nothing amazing though.

-Russian River Row 2 Hill 56: had it in bottles the last time it was around but I'd forgotten how great it is. With all the citra/mosaic/nelson hopping around I keep overlooking simcoe and I really hope it's due to be bottled again soon.

Russian River Row 2 Hill 56: had it in bottles the last time it was around but I'd forgotten how great it is. With all the citra/mosaic/nelson hopping around I keep overlooking simcoe and I really hope it's due to be bottled again soon.

My parents brought me a growler and some bottles of this last summer direct from the brewery. This beer is absolutely awesome.

A local bar's finally tapping Moonlight's Bony Fingers, a slightly more alcoholic/tasty version of Death and Taxes, their amazing black lager. I'm a little scared at how it's already been a year since the last time I had it but I'm excited to go by after work anyway.

Milchjon

Had a beer that called itself a "Blanche Grand Cru". I assume it's supposed to be some Belgian style.

Not terrible, but I just can't get into that stuff.

I had accepted that I would never find the Southern Tier Mokah again, but the local store had one random bottle sitting on the shelf tonight. BOO YA!
And they also had the Stone Collaboration, which I did not know existed. Great haul indeed!

t-ramp

Nice. I don't know if I will pick up Suede. Depends on how long it stays on the shelves, probably. I did get a Boulevard Reverb imperial pilsner ($4) and a Sierra Nevada Northern Hemisphere IPA the other day. I'll probably drink one of them tonight.

Milchjon

Sometimes it feels like the craft beer scene has a weirdness problem. Like everyone has to brew ever more exotic, outrageous, "creative" beers to try and get noticed. I think three quarters of our Mikkeller shipment could be described as novelty beers.

I'm not totally sure that's the best thing to happen to beer. Subtlety is a good thing, and it seems to get lost because everyone's just happy to get away from the watery piss that most beer was before.

But I'm sure it's something that's been discussed to death in the US already.

pxleyes

Banned
I mention it all the time and it is the main reason I really don't like Cigar City beers. Everything they have is either insanely overpowering or just downright undrinkable.

fijim

Banned
Sometimes it feels like the craft beer scene has a weirdness problem. Like everyone has to brew ever more exotic, outrageous, "creative" beers to try and get noticed. I think three quarters of our Mikkeller shipment could be described as novelty beers.

I'm not totally sure that's the best thing to happen to beer. Subtlety is a good thing, and it seems to get lost because everyone's just happy to get away from the watery piss that most beer was before.

Yes it is a big problem. I often see people going crazy trying to land a bottle of some extreme beer from a brewery, but ignoring their standard year rounds which are balanced, delicious, very drinkable, and much cheaper.

Big beers are great now and then, it is fun to open a bottle and share it with people on a special occasion. But if you are buying barrel aged imperial stouts and 12% Triple IPAs as every day drinkers, I think you are doing something wrong.

I like experimental beers, but people can lose focus by just wanting to try each and every crazy beer or build a cellar full of big beers that you will never have time to drink.

I say find good solid beers you enjoy and drink them.

I think that is more of a certain breweries kind of problem, and not fully a craft beer issue. Some just put out a ton of novelty stuff that is garbage, like Rogue.

Cr0wn0

Picked up a bottle of Le Terrior tonight. I would be fine with a new Belgium that only made La Folie and this. Also picked up a can of Santa Fe Saison and its pretty bad. Tastes like sugar water, really odd.

Yeah, definitely feeling it something fierce tonight. Had Southern Tier Mokah, then Victory V Twelve, then Weyrbacher Blasphemy. Pretty strong night.

PG2G

I think the experimentation is a result of the home brewing roots that a lot of the up and coming craft breweries have. I'm sure these creative people enjoy experimenting and creating new stuff much more than just continuing to churn out the basics.

Mikkeller is a bit of an outlier, it feels like the whole reason that brewery exists is to experiment.

AcridMeat

Banned
7Mu9N4n.jpg

I went into the store and saw this was back. Bought two six packs. This is one of my favorite beers. YESSS
Crossposting. Still tastes great.

matt360

I agree that things seem to be heading in a weird direction, but I believe the issue will sort itself out. Demand will remain high for the weird but good stuff, but I think things like Rogue's Maple Bacon whatever will end up dying off after the novelty of these kinds of flavor combinations dies off. The standard stouts, IPAs, etc., will always be around.

Rei_Toei

Fclvat sbe Pnanqn, ru?

I think Brouwerij De Molen (from Netherlands) is a good example of a brewery experimenting a lot within existing styles/types. They also have the occasional weird stuff (like Kopi Luwak porter/stouts) but most of the time they're experimenting within beer types - albeit with varying degrees of success :)

Milchjon

I think Brouwerij De Molen (from Netherlands) is a good example of a brewery experimenting a lot within existing styles/types. They also have the occasional weird stuff (like Kopi Luwak porter/stouts) but most of the time they're experimenting within beer types - albeit with varying degrees of success :)

Loved their Mout & Mocca. Not a huge fan of Vuur & Vlam.

Got any favorites I need to try?

Rei_Toei

Fclvat sbe Pnanqn, ru?
A recent brew is Pijl & Boog, which I really liked. Donder & Bliksem is pretty unique too. In spring they usdually have a Jong & Onbedorven ("Young & Unspoiled) Weizen Bock which is amazing, but I only have seen it on sale once, unfortunately. I haven't had their IPA in a while, so can't comment on that (think they changed quite a bit about it).

Drinking a La Trappe Quad after having Rochefort 10 at a bar last night and although I prefer the Rochefort, the difference isn't enough to justify the price difference/difficulty of obtaining Rochefort. A supermarket nearby has got in a good supply of La Trappe Quad, so I bought four. I'll have another one over the weekend and then intend to cellar the other two - the cellar, in this case, being a old fridge that no longer works. Should hold a relatively stable temperature [best I can do in a rented flat anyway!]

Oh, and I finally found a Spanish beer that isn't over-carbonated swill. Step forward SON Pampa, a relatively tasty Amber Ale that tastes a little like a slightly less dense Chimay Blue.

comprar-cerveza-artesana-son-pampa.jpg

Not cheap enough to justify buying over other options, but at least it wasn't a waste of money, as most of my Spanish beer purchases have been. Nice label too.

So I was with a few friends at a pub that had a single bottle of Infinium for sale. It was a bit expensive, so went together in a group of four and split it. We had never heard about it before, so we went in pretty blind. It was very sweet and I thought it tasted a lot like raisins. It reminded me more of a dessert wine I had a while ago than a beer. I liked it, but it was very... odd.

fijim

Banned
Just got Bells distribution in my state, any of their standard beers you guys would recommend?

Two Hearted is a great IPA

Expedition Stout is one of my favorite Imperial Stouts, this is a seasonal, but worth picking up if you see it.

Third Coast Old Ale is a very good Barleywine, also seasonal.

Oberon is a pretty decent summer wheat beer, and their Best Brown is good.

Link

The Autumn Wind

I had accepted that I would never find the Southern Tier Mokah again, but the local store had one random bottle sitting on the shelf tonight. BOO YA!
And they also had the Stone Collaboration, which I did not know existed. Great haul indeed!
Let me know how you like the Stone. I was on the fence about it when I was at Total Wine the other day and ultimately passed on it.

t-ramp

Swung by the store a few minutes ago. Didn't have anything particular in mind going in - maybe a Fat Jack, maybe a Stone IRS... Didn't see either. Ended up getting a six-pack of Founders' Porter. I hear it's good.

Drinking the Tripel version of 21A/Elysian's He Said right now. I like how the pumpkin flavor's integrated and it's tasty but I'm not loving it. To be honest, I haven't enjoyed tripels/heavier Belgian pales as much as I used to recently. I'm sure this isn't the best example and admittedly it's been a while since I had something along the lines of Westmalle or even Fin du Monde but they're just too sweet for me these days.

Gonna try the baltic porter later tonight and see which I like better. I love the idea of a split four-pack, hopefully this won't be the only one of its kind.

Ludovico

Just got back from the store, these ought to get me through the weekend:

Old Rasputin (currently my favorite "treat" beer)
Shipyard Smashed Pumpkin (from the pumpkin thread, decided I'd try it)
Stone IPA

Between the pumpkin and IPA, which should I open up for tonight?
Also, I've picked up a few of Stone's four packs before (Ruination especially),
is my big bottle something special or do they always date these?

t-ramp

Just got back from the store, these ought to get me through the weekend:

Old Rasputin (currently my favorite "treat" beer)
Shipyard Smashed Pumpkin (from the pumpkin thread, decided I'd try it)
Stone IPA

Between the pumpkin and IPA, which should I open up for tonight?
Also, I've picked up a few of Stone's four packs before (Ruination especially),
is my big bottle something special or do they always date these?
Enjoy By is an IPA series that emphasizes freshness. I got the 11-12-13 in Iowa a week after it was bottled. I'll be honest, though, I didn't really like it that much.

Haven't had Old Rasputin in quite a while. I had a 4-pack a few months ago, which might have been my first imperial stout. It was a bit more than I had bargained for, but a great beer nonetheless.

Ludovico

Enjoy By is an IPA series that emphasizes freshness. I got the 11-12-13 in Iowa a week after it was bottled. I'll be honest, though, I didn't really like it that much.

Haven't had Old Rasputin in quite a while. I had a 4-pack a few months ago, which might have been my first imperial stout. It was a bit more than I had bargained for, but a great beer nonetheless.

A friend recommended the Rasputin after I told him I liked the Young's Chocolate Double Stout. Definitely was a step up for someone just getting into beer.

Ended up opening the Smashed, so far so good!

Oh, and I finally found a Spanish beer that isn't over-carbonated swill.
They certainly do exist, but can take a bit to seek out. IMO the Catalan region is the best beer part of the country. If you can find stuff by Les Clandestines you should be off to a good start (try their Farigola, it's a Belgian pale with thyme, it's surprisingly good).

The only pumpkin beer I've seen locally is Saranac (bought it because I've not tried it, don't hear good things) and local brewery that I'm not fond of (and their pumpkin beer last year was garbage).

Top Bottom