• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Beer |OT|

terrible

Banned
The 2013 Gouden Carolus Cuvee Van De Keizer Blauw is drinking really nicely right now. I picked up a ton for aging but I have shared a few bottles already. They're so consistent with their releases. If you like dark Belgian ales it is as good as it gets really.

Useless info: labels are now stickers rather than being printed on the bottles.

31b40ef618244876beed459c5ad265c5_320x320.jpg

(not my picture)

fijim

Banned
I don't quite get that Heady Topper thing. Is it simply an issue of output volume not being high enough?

Their location could not handle all the traffic that came in to buy cases of Heady. I think the local town was complaining and was not happy with the volume of people crowding the area.

Also, this will make nearby retailers much happier as they will be getting more stock and won't have to compete with the brewery directly.

I am guessing they will eventually build a better retail location that can handle the volume. In the meantime it might mean more distribution within Vermont.

Here is an article about pissed off neighbors: http://bigstory.ap.org/article/vt-beers-fans-are-trouble-neighbors

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Whoa. No more case sales at the brewery? Time for Vermonters to start chasin' dem trucks!

I've had Heady a couple times, I'm guessing the trade value will go up as it won't be as easy to get now.

I think its a hype beer anyways. Its good but I don't think its blowing Pliny the Elder out of the water or anything.

Milchjon

Spent half an afternoon filling party kegs and growlers at our brewery. Was actually a fun distraction.

I got to use a hammer!

Martian

Had a Lazarus beer the other night.
Very good, it tasted like a double (don't know the english word for 7-8% alcohol) with a very light, summery aftertaste

very nice

codhand

Deschutes makes good stuff, but you'll drink it once or twice and then only buy their Bond Street and Reserve Series stuff.

i need to try abyss, finally had black butte 25th, and really liked it, if they distributed here (CT), i feel like mirror pond would be a good go to sixer.

i need to try abyss, finally had black butte 25th, and really liked it, if they distributed here (CT), i feel like mirror pond would be a good go to sixer.

Mirror Pond is a really nice, solid pale ale (more on the British side). The problem with the standard Deschutes stuff is that there are so many other things that I'd rather buy, and it's never that enticing on tap. Inversion IPA is one of two craft options at my neighborhood Mexican restaurant, though, so I drink it often.

The owner of Deschutes wants to be in all 50 states, so you'll see them soon enough.

codhand

Mirror Pond is a really nice, solid pale ale (more on the British side). The problem with the standard Deschutes stuff is that there are so many other things that I'd rather buy, and it's never that enticing on tap. Inversion IPA is one of two craft options at my neighborhood Mexican restaurant, though, so I drink it often.

The owner of Deschutes wants to be in all 50 states, so you'll see them soon enough.

is he hell bent on world domination via beer or smth?

my friend is at Allagash today sending me pics, so jealous, love their beer...

codhand

The owner is in it for the money.

My wife is in Boston this week for work. Hoping she brings me back some Jack's Abbey, CBC or something cool.

owners in it for the money here, 9 times outta 10, the beer reflects that.

word. that's a good wife. my gf brought me daisy cutter from chicago, lucky man am i.

never posted my jester king pics, outside of untappd anyway...

such a great location, such great sours

word. that's a good wife. my gf brought me daisy cutter from chicago, lucky man am i.

Her company is based in Boston, so she goes there fairly often, leaving me home with our daughter. I don't mind her traveling because it's better than us moving to Boston, but I think the beer is kind of a thank you for taking care of things at home.

codhand

Her company is based in Boston, so she goes there fairly often, leaving me home with our daughter. I don't mind her traveling because it's better than us moving to Boston, but I think the beer is kind of a thank you for taking care of things at home.

boston's a cool place to have to go on business, hopefully she gets exploration times...

my friend is at Allagash today sending me pics, so jealous, love their beer...
Is Curieux something that is alright aged? I had one brought back for me from the US to Australia in April and I'm still sitting on it.

I cracked open the Consecration the other day. Man, what a beer. Definitely up there as one of my favourite beers ever. Such a pity that it's half way across the world and difficult to get even then.

Time to start seeking out local sours!

boston's a cool place to have to go on business, hopefully she gets exploration times...

She's been there a million times for work (Liberty Mutual), so she's done the exploration stuff before, now to find me some beer!

The son of the original owner kinda runs things now, and doesn't seem to care as much as his dad. There is a refusal from the top to make Red Chair a year-round offering because they fear it would cut into Mirror Pond sales. smh.

Link

The Autumn Wind
The son of the original owner kinda runs things now, and doesn't seem to care as much as his dad. There is a refusal from the top to make Red Chair a year-round offering because they fear it would cut into Mirror Pond sales. smh.
Just another reason nepotism sucks.

fijim

Banned

I think Mirror Pond is a mediocre beer, and Red Chair is my favorite seasonal 6 pack from them. I would buy it year round if offered. It is a much better beer.

I'd rather pay twenty for a big bottle of Quad then 30 for a shitty Chardonnay.

Plenty of shitty overpriced Quads out there too. But I get your point

That is why you should spend 20 on a great Chardonnay.

I live 30min away from Napa, so getting into wine has been awesome.

Real jealous. Wine seems like such a daunting thing to get into

Glad it got sorted. Young's Chocolate Stout is kind of a gateway stout - it's widely available & not too "out there" for 'ordinary' beer drinkers while giving them a taste of something different.

Totally agree

Had to run by the beer store today to find something for a bottle share tonight. Here's my haul

IMAG0204.jpg

Gonna take the Lolita and 1809 and a bourbon barrel aged Barleywine I have laying around to the bottleshare. I've been meaning to try 1809 for awhile now. Berliner Weiss was a real fad style in St. Louis this past summer with 3 of the more prominent breweries releasing one and pushing them hard. The style is one of my favorites when done properly.

The Coffee Stout and Winter ESB are probably my two favorite Schlafly seasonals, even with how awesome their Pumpkin is.

I think Mirror Pond is a mediocre beer, and Red Chair is my favorite seasonal 6 pack from them. I would buy it year round if offered. It is a much better beer.

Fresh Squeezed is joining the year-round lineup, but Red Chair is stuck in the January-May window. Huh.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
One hype beer better than another hype beer? No way!!!

Seriously, they're both fantastic, but both victims of hype.

P.S. Hill Farmstead's IPAs do rival Pliny.

BA dorks are flipping out and claiming Pliny sucks now because its not a new recipe.

Its still my favorite beer, but I don't order it very often because there's a lot of variety available.

Yeah I've been spoiled when it comes to Pliny the past few years (though these days the bar that normally has it is out a lot of the time and I can't just walk in to Ledgers and pick up a couple bottles) but it's still a great beer. Like you said, though, I don't order it as often as I used to and usually only pick up a bottle or two if it's really fresh.

I'd love to try HT/Hill Farmstead IPAs/other hip east coast stuff someday but there's still plenty of California beers I haven't tried yet. Never had any Alpine or Kern River, plus I'm reasonably close to Sante Adairius and still haven't tried anything of theirs when it's on tap near me.

Link

The Autumn Wind
I'm still salty about Allagash pulling out of Florida. Yes, it's been like three years now, but c'mon!

Cr0wn0

Hello my beer drinking pals, is there anywhere/anything I must try while in Phoenix?

Arizona Wilderness and Fate brewing are Amazing. If your coming in soon Fate is going to be tapping its Candy bar stout ( Silver Medal this year at GABF ). If you want to try a wider range of what we offer Papago brewing and taste of tops are awesome. There is also Huss brewing but they haven't brewed much of their own stuff yet. There's also a bunch of other smaller places depending on where you are.

Seth C

Arizona Wilderness and Fate brewing are Amazing. If your coming in soon Fate is going to be tapping its Candy bar stout ( Silver Medal this year at GABF ). If you want to try a wider range of what we offer Papago brewing and taste of tops are awesome. There is also Huss brewing but they haven't brewed much of their own stuff yet. There's also a bunch of other smaller places depending on where you are.

Awesome, thanks. I'm staying in Avondale tonight put I think I could be persuaded to get a place in Scottsdale to have that stout on Friday!

Q

Queen of Hunting

Unconfirmed Member
not sure if this is the right thread, but it would be great if some fellow drinkers could recommend some drinks i should buy, looking to buy lots for christmas, anything from beer to spirits :D

not sure if this is the right thread, but it would be great if some fellow drinkers could recommend some drinks i should buy, looking to buy lots for christmas, anything from beer to spirits :D

Where do you live (this is key, different states have different distribution)? What kinds of beer do you like?

Q

Queen of Hunting

Unconfirmed Member
Where do you live (this is key, different states have different distribution)? What kinds of beer do you like?

live in london england :p

im mostly up for trying anything honestly only thing i really dislike is cider

Milchjon

live in london england :p

im mostly up for trying anything honestly only thing i really dislike is cider

BrewDog has a pretty great variety of beers across several styles.

Punk IPA, Dead Pony Club, Libertine Black Ale in particular are really really good.

You could also look for some of their special releases. Their Tokyo is quite an experience, an 18.2% ABV Imperial Stout brewed with jasmine and cranberries and aged with oak chips. Very complex, drinks more like a spirit than a beer.

WHOA. I didn't spend as much as I wanted to, but this random wine store I stopped at on a gut feeling while on a long drive today paid off.

They still had Stone Espresso Imperial Russian Stout, Southern Tier Mokha , Souther Tier Oat Stout, and tons of other stuff I hadn't seen in months. Totally made my day.

Allagash pulled out of WA a few years ago, but we still get kegs of their special stuff for festivals and events. Their Broken Elevator PNC 2013 wild ale that I had on Zwanze Day was fantastic.

Collaboration with Monk's Cafe (Philly), Falling Rock (Denver), Toronado (San Francisco), and Brouwer's (Seattle). Brewed in 2010 and aged in various oak barrels, then blended in April, 2013 from the following barrels:
198 - wine barrel used for Interlude
241 - wine barrel used twice for sour ales
362, 363 - bourbon barrels that once held Odyssey & Black Stout
561 - new, uncharred oak
770, 775 - bourbon barrels used for Curieux
771, 772 - bourbon barrels used for Curieux (different lineages)
773 - 1st use wine barrel
776 - bourbon barrel, topped off with pediococcus-spiked stout
777 - bourbon barrel

KingGondo

Banned
I visited Allagash in August when I was up in Maine to see family.

Great place. I'll probably go back when I visit them this Xmas.

Revisiting a couple beers I've had before once or twice today. First one's Russian River Damnation, which it's been years since I've had. I don't seek out stronger Belgian pales as much as I used to but this is still as fantastic as I remember. Not too sweet but still lots of flavor. I passed on the oak-aged Batch 23 a couple times in the past and I'm kicking myself for it.

Also got a Green Flash Double Stout since I was in the mood for a nice not-too-crazy stout, looking forward to opening it up later.

HiResDes

There's this local brewery called Triple Digit here in Cincy that makes one of the best Wee Heavy's I've ever had called Aftermath, it's so good that I wish they would push to get it widely distributed.

Anyway, sippin on some Bell's Double Cream Stout and it's better than I remembered. In fact I think I like it better than Milk Stout, though it's not quite as complex as Old Rasputin.

Anyway, sippin on some Bell's Double Cream Stout and it's better than I remembered. In fact I think I like it better than Milk Stout, though it's not quite as complex as Old Rasputin.

I've always wanted to try Double Cream, didn't get a chance when I was in Michigan. I didn't get to try Expedition Stout either, just Kalamazoo and Cherry Stout. Kalamazoo was good and I loved Cherry Stout (though I love sour cherries so I'm a bit biased) so I'd love to try more of their stouts, especially Black Note.

Seth C

I shouldn't be allowed in a bottle shop. I just walked out with...

Clown Shoes Chocolate Sombrero Stout
Ommegang Game of Thrones Black Stout
Clown Shoes Crunkle Sam
Epic Big Bad Baptist
Alaskan Baltic Porter
Tenaya Creek Imperial Stout
Sonoran Inebriator
Squatters Hell's Keep
Tenaya Creek Old Jackalope
Tenaya Creek Monsoon IPA
Bear Republic Black Racer
Phoenix Ale Arizuma Ironwood