• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Beer |OT|

Dow3jlv.jpg

I had a good night with a couple good friends.

De Garde's Cornelio Nunez was incredible.

codhand

I shouldn't be allowed in a bottle shop. I just walked out with...

Clown Shoes Chocolate Sombrero Stout
Ommegang Game of Thrones Black Stout
Clown Shoes Crunkle Sam
Epic Big Bad Baptist
Alaskan Baltic Porter
Tenaya Creek Imperial Stout
Sonoran Inebriator
Squatters Hell's Keep
Tenaya Creek Old Jackalope
Tenaya Creek Monsoon IPA
Bear Republic Black Racer
Phoenix Ale Arizuma Ironwood

Oskar Blues Ten FIDY x 4
SanTan Suer Monk IPA

$120 damage...

this is a safe place. i been there brudda.

fijim

Banned
Yeah it was pretty epic:

Personal highlights were:

The Lost Abbey Duck Duck Gooze
Cantillon Rosé De Gambrinus
Jester King Atrial Rubicite
New Glarus R&D Very Sour Blackberry
The Bruery Oude Tart with Cherries
Cascade Sang Nior

Other good stuff not pictured:

Black Tuesday
Old Rasputin XIV Anniversary
Kuhnhenn BB4D
Kuhnhenn 4D
Heady Topper
King Henry (saw it but never saw it cracked)
Prairie Legend (never released)
Side Project Saison Du Fermier
Saint Arnold Pumpkinator
Cascade The Vine

I don't think I could taste anything after four or five bottles. Damn.

Yeah at a certain point any barrel aged imperial stout or barley-wine just can't be enjoyed. Sours and lighter saisons could still be enjoyed though. Drinking lots of water and taking very small pours was key.

aceface

Had a Southern Tier Warlock last night, Imperial Stout brewed with pumpkins. I think it's actually superior to their Pumpking, which is always a little too sweet for me. In Warlock, the pumpkin flavor is still strong, but the bitterness of the stout balances it nicely.

t-ramp

Apparently I missed "Stout Day" on Friday. Not that I really care, but I was a bit bummed (in a very petty way) watching the Untappd badge go by, especially since I think I missed the Halloween one too. Anyway, I'm making up for it with a Founders Breakfast Stout right now.

I also have the better part of a case of Wider Brothers' Okto Festival Ale in my closet. Hy-Vee had six-packs for $3.99, and it's not a bad beer for under 80 cents per bottle.

Apparently I missed "Stout Day" on Friday. Not that I really care, but I was a bit bummed (in a very petty way) watching the Untappd badge go by.
I was at a bar on Friday, and reminded the bartender (while buying myself a wattle seed stout), so he bought him and me another stout. He proceeded to pour in a drop of mesquite liquid smoke into it. I recommend doing this at least once. It would not have gone with the wattle seed stout (or something like a breakfast stout), but more roasty stouts? Brings out a lot of aroma!

I was at a bar on Friday, and reminded the bartender (while buying myself a wattle seed stout), so he bought him and me another stout. He proceeded to pour in a drop of mesquite liquid smoke into it. I recommend doing this at least once. It would not have gone with the wattle seed stout (or something like a breakfast stout), but more roasty stouts? Brings out a lot of aroma!
Do you ever brew with smoked malts? I've tried a few ounces in a sweet stout before and it was pretty interesting.

Do you ever brew with smoked malts? I've tried a few ounces in a sweet stout before and it was pretty interesting.
I've brewed with black malt and roasted barley before, but not peated or smoked malt. I've found a roasty flavour is pretty achievable with black malt.

Adding liquid smoke is certainly an easy way of tweaking the profile of a stout (or porter). I've not gone far down the road of additions to beers (recently randalled a witbier with pomegranate, lime and coriander [cilantro] leaves to trial a wit I'll be brewing this weekend). I plan to do a lot more over summer, which is rapidly approaching.

Damn, I have to pay $6.79 a bottle where I'm at.

$5.99 at one of my regular places for stuff. $6.99 at the other two places I frequent.

And I am going to blaspheme here: I liked Rochefort 8 more than the 10. I might have to try both again to make sure, but those were my initial impressions.

terrible

Banned
Rochefort 8 is $3.22 per 330ml bottle here. Used to be $2.55 until very recently so I bought a ton. Rochefort 10 is going to be $3.60 a bottle when it gets its winter release here.

For me Rochefort 10 is a much more flavourful and enjoyable beer than Rochefort 8. Both are good but the 10 is on another level.

Squeezed in a small brewery/beer bar tasting/hopping tour this weekend with a buddy who was visiting for the Stanford/Duck game. Tried some pretty good stuff.

Beers that I had:
21st Amendment - He Said Belgian-style Triple (at home from BevMo!)
21st Amendment - He Said Baltic-style Porter (at home from BevMo!)
21st Amendment - Drunken Monk (at 21st Amendment)
The Bruery - Autumn Maple (at City Beer Store)
Anderson Valley - Wild Turkey Bourbon Barrel Stout (at Toronado)
Speakeasy - Payback Coffee Porter (at Speakeasy)
Speakeasy - Tallulah Extra Pale Ale (at Speakeasy)
Flying Dog - Snake Dog IPA (at home from BevMo!)
Drake's - Abominably Jolly Imperial White IPA (at Drake's)
Russian River - Damnation (at Russian River)
Russian River - Temptation (at Russian River)
Russian River - Consecration (at Russian River)
Boulevard Brewing Co - 2013 Saison-Brett (at hotel from BevMo!)
Lagunitas - Brown Shugga (at Lagunitas)
Lagunitas - Hairy Eyeball (at Lagunitas)
Lagunitas - Rye Bourbon Aged Cappuccino Stout (at Lagunitas)

Notes:
I still have bottles of Stone's Suede Imperial Porter collaboration and The Lost Abbey's Judgment Day Ale to pop open from our pickups at BevMo!
Russian River's stuff and Anderson Valley's Wild Turkey def. were my favs by far.
There must have been something wrong with Boulevard's Saison-Bret because it tasted off, no where close to last year's release.
21st's He Said Belgian-style Triple > He Said Baltic-style Porter.
Lagunitas' brewery tour was a lot more entertaining than others I've gone to.
Didn't realize Lagunitas had their SoCo stout on tap 'til it was too late, might have to go back soon to try it.

Still dream about the Rochefort 10... Oh if only it wasn't so rare & ridiculously expensive in Australia
It's not that hard to find in Melbourne at good stores? It's about ten bucks a bottle usually.

Also, all of you guys talking about fresh beers made me dig out my last IIPA that'd been bottled for ten months (and brewed eleven months ago). Damn was it good. Now I want to brew another batch and forget about it.

t-ramp

Just curious how much is it there? it's $4.99 a bottle here and available everywhere. We have the 6 and 8's usually all the time as well.
I'm pretty sure it's $5.99 here in Iowa. I've only had the 10, and can't remember how much 6 or 8 costs. Might have to try one of the others some time.

Tonight I bought a bottle of Dorothy's New World Lager that just arrived from Toppling Goliath. Also picked up a 4-pack of Goose Island's Pepe Nero from 2011 and a sixer of Point's St. Benedict's Winter Ale because I can't help myself.

PG2G

I think it goes for $6.99 here in Los Angeles. That's why I pretty much never buy it.

Though it doesn't help that I have kinda fallen out of love with the Belgians styles outside of lambic.

Pal is coming over tonight so we can watch Twilight with the Rifftrax. Since even with Rifftrax you need alcohol to enjoy those, I have a good lineup planned:

Sam Adams Merry Maker
Southern Tier Krampus
Stone Double Bastard

PG2G

I can't get excited about it because I have an aversion to Arrogant Bastard. But that began back when I thought Newcastle was the greatest beer of all time, so maybe I should revisit it.

That is also where my hatred of Stone came from. I think even today I have only had the Enjoy By series, a few Vertical Epic, and the IRS. Should probably revisit their whole lineup.

fijim

Banned
I can't get excited about it because I have an aversion to Arrogant Bastard. But that began back when I thought Newcastle was the greatest beer of all time, so maybe I should revisit it.

That is also where my hatred of Stone came from. I think even today I have only had the Enjoy By series, a few Vertical Epic, and the IRS. Should probably revisit their whole lineup.

The Espresso IRS is one of my favorites. I would also check out the Enjoy By series or Ruination Ale if you are into hoppy IPAs.

I think Vertical Epic 12.12.12 is gross, but 11.11.11 was good.

codhand

The Espresso IRS is one of my favorites. I would also check out the Enjoy By series or Ruination Ale if you are into hoppy IPAs.

I think Vertical Epic 12.12.12 is gross, but 11.11.11 was good.

my feelings exactly. espresso is a fave, enjoy by's are great, ruination is passe but still good, and 12.12.12 is fucking terrible

You did not like the IRS? It is mighty tasty. Not as good as their Espresso IRS, but still damn good.

And like others said, their Enjoy By Series and Ruination are very good for IPAs. Although the latest Enjoy By was a step back. I did quite like their Self Righteous Ale when I tried it the other week.

And for Fijim, if you like the Stone IPAs, try and hunt down Dirt Wolf by Victory. Best IPA I have had in a long time.

Link

The Autumn Wind
As someone who isn't big into IPA's, Stone has never really done it for me, but I actually thought 12.12.12 was pretty good.

And for Fijim, if you like the Stone IPAs, try and hunt down Dirt Wolf by Victory. Best IPA I have had in a long time.

I had Dirt Wolf on tap the other week. It was good, but if we're talking about big national IPAs with large distribution footprints, Lagunitas Sucks is the best one I've had in a couple years.

I had Dirt Wolf on tap the other week. It was good, but if we're talking about big national IPAs with large distribution footprints, Lagunitas Sucks is the best one I've had in a couple years.

I'd love to try Dirt Wolf but I'm beyond excited for the 32oz Sucks. I guess it's supposed to be in Northern California relatively soon so I can't wait for how disastrous drinking entire bottles of it will be.

Top Bottom