• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Beer |OT|

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
916.jpg

Just had a bottle of this last night and I can't get over how delightful it was. Nothing that made you go WHOA DAMN BEST BURR OF ALL TIME.

But there wasn't anything about it that was particularly unpleasant.

You haven't had Sucks before? It's been their Christmas seasonal the last two years now. Really great Imperial IPA.

Only really started getting into trying anything and everything this past year. Before I played it safe with stuff like Sam Adams, Guinness, or a few other brands. I do like Laguintas other stuff, so shall keep an eye out for Sucks this year.

PG2G

Brown Shugga is too sweet for me. I have a six in my fridge and I don't even want to drink it lol. Sucks is like the greatest $10 six pack of all time.

I am a fan of their Lil Sumpin Sumpin also. Never tried the normal IPA

Just curious how much is it there? it's $4.99 a bottle here and available everywhere. We have the 6 and 8's usually all the time as well.

It's a bit over $10 a bottle. In Paris it was $5 and that was a pretty good time. Still haven't tried Westvletren yet though.

Found Lagunitas Brown Shugga' tonight. Good, but not great. Definitely better than Southern Tier Krampus. But I was expecting something a bit sweeter from something called Brown Shugga'.
I feel like I got my money's worth for the 6 pack, but nothing I would rush out to buy again nor enthusiastically recommend to others.

Cr0wn0

One day Southern Tier will expand to Arizona and I wont have to pay crazy prices or shipping anymore! I'm hoping to split a case of warlock and Pumking with a buddy or two in the next few weeks.

Going to a big ass bottle share this afternoon. The organizer is providing bottles of everything De Garde has released so far, along with a growler of Cigar City's Good Gourd Almighty.

I'm bringing a bottle of Snipes Mountain's Twangzister #3 Wild Ale (crazy rarecherry sour. A keg was tapped at a 2011 Belgianfest, and the bottles were never technically made for sale. The head brewer gave me a bottle when I visited the brewery this summer) and North Fork's 2012 Spotted Owl Barleywine. Both have less than 10 check-ins on Untappd, combined. Rare shit, yo.

Damn that sounds like a crazy bottleshare. I've never been to one, never really have bottles of anything exciting and I don't know that many people who are that into beer. I'd love to try some De Garde stuff. From what I've seen of his forum posts, that brewer seems awesome. He drank a whole magnum of 2009 Fred from the Wood out of a vase.

It seems like Sucks is going to hit my area Tuesday or so. I'm not sure why I'm so excited about the 32oz bottles since they seem really impractical but I can't wait. I picked up a Stone Enjoy By in the meantime.

I'd love to try some De Garde stuff. From what I've seen of his forum posts, that brewer seems awesome.

So far I've only had De Say (saison) and Cornelio Nunez (Wild coffee porter), both were pretty damn amazing. And yeah, the brewer is a cool guy. Can't wait for tonight. Follow SeattleBeerPenguin on Untappd for all the festivities.

I've been invited to bottle shares where I had nothing cool to offer, and still been gladly offered Kuhnhenn, Lawsons, Heady, Hill Farmstead, etc. Seattle beer nerds are good people.

He drank a whole magnum of 2009 Fred from the Wood out of a vase

OMG. I'd be wasted.

PG2G

Today's Haul

3x Alesmith Old Numbskull (Rye Barrel Aged)
3x Alesmith Ground Cru (Barrel Aged)
1x Grumbler of Alesmith Nut Brown (Barrel Aged)
2x Alpine Duet
2x Alpine Nelson
2x Alpine Pure Hoppiness

Excited to try my first Alpine IPAs

Also picked up a couple Firestone Walker 17th Anniversary yesterday

Local store had all the new Stone stuff. Southern Charred, Crime, and Punishment.

$18.99 a bottle.

I am curious, but not that curious. I had to pass. Way too pricey.

t-ramp

Local store had all the new Stone stuff. Southern Charred, Crime, and Punishment.

$18.99 a bottle.

I am curious, but not that curious. I had to pass. Way too pricey.
Yeah, that's what I paid for Southern Charred, which is more than twice my previous high for a bottle of beer. It was sort of an impulse thing since it was so limited (36 bottles for the state, I hear) and sounded intriguing. I haven't drank it yet.

I wonder how quickly Crime and Punishment have been selling.

Yeah, that's what I paid for Southern Charred, which is more than twice my previous high for a bottle of beer. It was sort of an impulse thing since it was so limited (36 bottles for the state, I hear) and sounded intriguing. I haven't drank it yet.

I wonder how quickly Crime and Punishment have been selling.

The limited nature of the bottle almost made me bite. I am still kicking myself a bit for not getting it. But then I reminded myself I can get three bottles of other stuff that I have never tried, or that I love for the same price.

PG2G

It seems like Sucks is going to hit my area Tuesday or so. I'm not sure why I'm so excited about the 32oz bottles since they seem really impractical but I can't wait. I picked up a Stone Enjoy By in the meantime.

I'm actually not too happy with the new format. It is worse on terms of portioning and in price. $7 for 32oz when it was like $10 for a six pack under a year ago? Terrible

Yeah objectively the 6 packs last year sound much better. Still, there's something I can't help but love about the prospect of a quart of Sucks in my hand. I doubt I'll pick up more than one or two when it's around but the side of me that loves buying 32oz bottles of Miller High Life is blinding me to the downsides right now.

I had the new Enjoy By last night and it's as great as ever. More tropical fruits than I remember the last couple having but no complaints about that.

How was that bottleshare by the way?

How was that bottleshare by the way?

L03Hfyx.png

Epic. We had nine different De Garde beers. India Wild Ale in a gin barrel, Blueberry and Cranberry Berliners, etc.

Aside from the two I brought, we also had Surly Wet, Brooklyn Black Ops, Driftwood Old Cellar Dweller, Hair of the Dog's Pannepooch Reserva, etc.

fijim

Banned
Anyone tried the new Gulden Draak Brewmaster’s Reserve? It's Gulden Draak aged in whiskey barrels, sounds like it could be interesting. A little pricey at $18 a bottle.

My wife is in Boston this week for work and had room in her check baggage for two bombers. Snagged me a Pretty Things Jack D'or saison and Cambridge Brewing's Audacity of Hops at the grocery store near her hotel in Back Bay.

nqqhHVh.jpg

terrible

Banned
Anyone tried the new Gulden Draak Brewmaster’s Reserve? It's Gulden Draak aged in whiskey barrels, sounds like it could be interesting. A little pricey at $18 a bottle.

Yikes, I hope that's at least a 750ml (26oz) bottle. I like Gulden Draak a lot so I'd buy it if it was available here but that is pricey.

HiResDes

Magic Hat's Seance is such a weird beer. I've been drinking this sixpack throughout the week (the longest a sixpack has ever lasted in my house) and the beer seems to taste a bit different each time I open one up. It's smokey, and slightly chocolatey, with a somewhat carbonated mouthfeel and a slightly bitter finish. It's definitely their most complex beer by far, but I don't know if I'd ever buy a sixer of it again. Interesting beer nonetheless

I tried Alaskan Smoked Porter for the first time today (yeah, I'm a little late) but wow. I love Stone's smoked porter but this is leagues better. Much smokier and it makes me want to work up the courage to try a real rauchbier sometime.

I also picked up a bottle of New Belgium's Frambozen on a whim at Trader Joes today and it's actually not bad. I was half-expecting an overly sweet mess but it's a pretty good fruit beer and not that sweet. It's as close to Founder's Rubaeus as I'm going to get over here I guess.

fijim

Banned
I would say the Love Child #3, not cheap though and you would want to share it.

Also the Mikkeller Beer Geek Breakfast.

I am a huge fan of cellared Sierra Nevada Bigfoot, that 2012 might be pretty good.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I'm sure its not coincidental that "optimal cellar temperature" happens to be the exact same temperature of the cellars in Northern Europe in the medieval ages.

Refusing to serve beer cold is the beersnob equivalent of refusing to stock forks at an Asian restaurant. A beer served cold can be easily enjoyed at "cellar temperature" by holding the glass with your hand for a couple of minutes, presuming it isn't served ice-cold in the first place and most modern beers are designed to be served at colder temperatures. (Also, 60F is a pretty warm cellar, something closer to 50-55 is preferable).

fijim

Banned
I'm sure its not coincidental that "optimal cellar temperature" happens to be the exact same temperature of the cellars in Northern Europe in the medieval ages.

Refusing to serve beer cold is the beersnob equivalent of refusing to stock forks at an Asian restaurant. A beer served cold can be easily enjoyed at "cellar temperature" by holding the glass with your hand for a couple of minutes, presuming it isn't served ice-cold in the first place and most modern beers are designed to be served at colder temperatures. (Also, 60F is a pretty warm cellar, something closer to 50-55 is preferable).

If they keep the beers in the cellar, why should you expect them to cool them down more before serving them? It also says they offer ice baths if you want it chilled further.

bowery

Hopelessly addicted to Weihenstaphener beer, such good Bavarian banana-y goodness and the perfect season to drink this type of stuff

Top Bottom