• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Beer |OT|

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
If they keep the beers in the cellar, why should you expect them to cool them down more before serving them? It also says they offer ice baths if you want it chilled further.

Because their cellar is too warm. 60 degrees is not a proper serving temperature for any ale and there's no way the beer is 60 when it gets to the customer, its going to be something like 65 because beer gains temperature as it comes in contact with glassware and the environment.

I don't agree that there's a substantial benefit in aging at cellar temperature vs. fridge temps vs. ambient either. I bought a couple cases of Victory at Sea from the brewery in 2011 and aged bottles all three ways. After a year and then two years they all tasted substantially similar (although all three had improved from fresh). Is this anecdotal? Yes, but so is the common wisdom that 52-55 is a magic aging number. Ale yeast is dormant in the 50 degree Fahrenheit range.

Store near work had Gandhi Bot in. Was so tempted because everyone at the stores I frequent say that customers rave about it and freak out when it releases.
But instead I opted to get a case of Founders Backwood's Bastard. Mighty fine beer so far.

label_BWB.png

Ron Mexico

Hey all, just a total shot in the dark.

I live in NJ but am visiting my folks just outside Knoxville, TN and can honestly say I don't know the craft beer scene here too well, but would love to find something to bring home with me.

Any recommendations for the Tennessee/Kentucky/etc area? Ideally something within reason along I-81 or I-75, etc etc. Have a 700+ mile drive as it is, but would be willing to veer off a bit for the right options.

Thanks!

3M8WxGQ.jpg

Got my two bottles of Abyss for the year. Like every year, the price keeps rising and it sells out even quicker.

I remember when it was $10 and it sat for months.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I buy Abyss every year, but I don't think its actually all that good. It varies from good to gnawing on tree branches.

Seth C

Hey all, just a total shot in the dark.

I live in NJ but am visiting my folks just outside Knoxville, TN and can honestly say I don't know the craft beer scene here too well, but would love to find something to bring home with me.

Any recommendations for the Tennessee/Kentucky/etc area? Ideally something within reason along I-81 or I-75, etc etc. Have a 700+ mile drive as it is, but would be willing to veer off a bit for the right options.

Thanks!

Tennessee's beer scene isn't that great. If you can, stop in Lexington and check out Country Boy Brewing (top choice), then West 6th. Tell them I sent you. Depending on when you're going I could meet you.

Angry Grimace

Obnoxious shitlord explains why beer is for men, and why he is repulsed by the sight of a girl with a pint glass:

http://www.dingsbeerblog.com/?p=9285

This is a post that is about three weeks late. Every month, on the first Friday of said month, the The Beer Sessions invites beer bloggers to pen a post on a single subject. Each month a different blogger ‘hosts’ the session by choosing a topic, and then subsequently summarizing all of the posts for that month. At the beginning of November, Session #81 brought us to an old chestnut (at least for me), as The Tasting Nitch asked, “What about Women in Beer Culture?‘.
It’s taken me an extra couple of weeks to finish this post, at least in part becasue I wanted to get the post ‘just right’. It’s not easy to write down my thoughts on this subject without being characterized as bigoted, but all I can say is that I’m not (bigoted), I am not a misogynist, I am not a sexist, and I have no problem with women brewing the beer that I drink. Nor am I about to lead a campaign to keep women out of pubs and bars, and nor do I have an issue with women in positions of responsibility, power, influence or as my superiors. Having said all of that, I do strongly believe that beer has a gender, and it’s not female. I do not think that statement is in any way contradictory to my stated position as a non-misogynist.
The whole, ‘women in beer’ thing is a pretty straightforward question for me. I’ve been asked about it over and over again, and I have always had a sort of matter of fact, shrug of the shoulders answer. Actually, if truth be known I’m just not very passionate about the subject at all, rather to me, the whole thing is less about deep analysis, and much more about what I consider to be a cultural and ‘natural’, norm. For me, it’s just sort of simply ‘the way it is’ and should be – a natural law if you will.

I think the origin of my position about beer’s gender is fairly simple to trace. Growing up in 1970′s and 1980′s Britain and watching my dad frequent pubs where women were simply not welcome, obviously gave me a perspective and historical reference point that is difficult to shake. Not only were women not welcome, most women were quite OK with that, and wouldn’t have wanted to spend any time in those pubs, anyway.

At that time, and even now to a large extent for me, pubs were a refuge for men - a place to be away from women. Pubs were mainly the working and middle class equivalents of the upper classes, gentlemen’s clubs*, where men went to get away from all things female rather than to meet and socialize with women. Pubs were dens and bastions of stereotypical male culture, where vulgarity, lewd behavior and words and actions not necessarily welcome in polite society were embraced and even encouraged. These were the places that I experienced at a very young age.

*for American readers I don’t mean ‘gentlemen’s club as in ‘strip club’, rather I’m talking about exclusive male only, drinking establishments popular since approx. 150 years ago.

So what about beer as an entity (as opposed to pubs and pub culture) per se? Well, when women DID go into pubs it was customary for them to either drink something other than beer (typically wine or spirits), and if they did happen to consume beer, it was strictly in half-pint glasses. A woman drinking a pint of beer was really a very rare occurrence, and on the few occasions that it did occur, it would elicit some pretty interesting comments! As a result of this early exposure to these norms as they pertained to women and beer, even to this day, I find the image of a woman with a pint glass in her hand, truly and quintessentially unfeminine; I’d even go as far as to say that I find it unattractive. As I am typing this I am literally imagining a woman in a typical barroom stance, with a 20 oz pint of beer, grasped at chest height about to be raised to her mouth, and I find it to be a masculine action that is not consummate with the fairer sex. That isn’t to say that women that drink beer aren’t attractive outside of the beer drinking context, it’s simply me saying that I find the image of women in that situation and in that stance, less than appealing. For the record, there’s plenty of women that agree with me on this one. (BTW, don’t get me wrong, I fully understand that for a multitude of reasons that the same women that I find unattractive in this situation almost certainly find me equally or more unattractive, for 1001 different reasons!)

Please don’t misunderstand me (and I know that might be a forlorn hope but it’s an appeal that I have to make), but beer and women are a strange mix for me. I really not sure why this gets on peoples nerves. What is it about society these days that gets people riled up when the idea that the genders might be different, is broached? It seems quite natural to me that some things are masculine, some things are feminine – why can’t we just accept that? I don’t expect many to agree with me, but quite why you’d be upset about my opinion is a little bit beyond me.
I know that this post will deliberately get twisted into all kinds of things that misrepresent me, and I know that I will take plenty of flak from the interwebs for what is written here, but if you spoke to me in person, looked me in the eye and we actually had a civilized discussion about this, I think you’d see that I am not the misogynist that some will paint me to be, rather I’m just a guy with a cultural background that makes my position seem quite normal to me.

"I'm not sexist, see? I called them the 'fairer sex!'"

Milchjon

That's a whole lot of words for something that could be said in one word: "derp".

At our most recent craft beer day, the crowd was like 40% female. It was awesome and definitely changed the atmosphere for the better.

Angry Grimace

That's a whole lot of words for something that could be said in one word: "derp".

At our most recent craft beer day, the crowd was like 40% female. It was awesome and definitely changed the atmosphere for the better.

A lot of people mistake "lots of words" for having an intelligent thought pass through their minds.

PG2G

You know its going to be a good weekend when you walk in your bottle shop and the guy says "You want a Catillon? we have some in the back"

Will be the perfect mid-day Xbox One launch drink

6ZTx6Qu.jpg

Looking forward to the Prairie also, and had to buy another Mogli because its damn delicious.

t-ramp

Obnoxious shitlord explains why beer is for men, and why he is repulsed by the sight of a girl with a pint glass:

http://www.dingsbeerblog.com/?p=9285

"I'm not sexist, see? I called them the 'fairer sex!'"
That was really stupid.

On a somewhat related, but not really, note, was I wrong to be irritated by this Twitter comment the other day?

3svlpdc.png

Seems a bit random and dumb to jump on one post about bottled beer being on room-temperature shelves. Are there very many good beer stores that refrigerate their entire stock? I kind of wanted to just reply with a "Fuck off", but that wouldn't be very nice.

PG2G

I don't think I have ever been to a store that keeps Stouts refrigerated...

That guy is just being an ass. I could see wanting to keep IPAs cold, but no reason to jump on someone. Seems like a fake beer snob that read some shit on the Internet.

Edit: it looks like she knows what she's talking about, so she's just an ass lol

fijim

Banned
Seems a bit random and dumb to jump on one post about bottled beer being on room-temperature shelves. Are there very many good beer stores that refrigerate their entire stock? I kind of wanted to just reply with a "Fuck off", but that wouldn't be very nice.

Your not wrong, storing the beer at room temp is no big deal. Especially a stout.

It's funny because I have heard the opposite. I was at a brewpub and a guy was picking up a bottle of a barrel aged stout, they only had it in the cooler and he asked if they had a room temperature bottle. Saying he was going to store it at cellar temp and that the temp variation would somehow ruin the beer.

Both views are complete BS.

johnsmith

remember me
New Belgium didn't sell their beer in Utah until recently, despite being just next door because they were worried it would be kept in storage at room temperature too long, and they said 30 days was their maximum.

whered you get backwoods? i can get you gandhi no-problem, if you like DIPA's it's essential tasting....

They had both at CT Beverage Mart in Farmington, CT. Just near where I work.
I have had so many opportunities to get Gandhi Bot and pass each time, and I have no idea why. I LOVE IPAs, and the workers at every store I go to say people go nuts for it. Yet, all the workers say it is very good but not worth the furor it creates when they get it in.

Either way, I shall get it one day. It was just that Backwoods sounded better for the kind of day I was having.

t-ramp

I don't think I have ever been to a store that keeps Stouts refrigerated...

That guy is just being an ass. I could see wanting to keep IPAs cold, but no reason to jump on someone. Seems like a fake beer snob that read some shit on the Internet.

Edit: it looks like she knows what she's talking about, so she's just an ass lol
Your not wrong, storing the beer at room temp is no big deal. Especially a stout.

It's funny because I have heard the opposite. I was at a brewpub and a guy was picking up a bottle of a barrel aged stout, they only had it in the cooler and he asked if they had a room temperature bottle. Saying he was going to store it at cellar temp and that the temp variation would somehow ruin the beer.

Both views are complete BS.
That's what I thought. I'd never heard anyone make a big deal about storing at room temperature for short periods of time, and thought it was odd.

New Belgium didn't sell their beer in Utah until recently, despite being just next door because they were worried it would be kept in storage at room temperature too long, and they said 30 days was their maximum.
Interesting. I guess some of their beers might change flavor after sitting for a month or more before even getting to the shelves, depending on the style. Speaking of which, I made the possibly ill-advised choice near the end of summer of buying a mixed case of Fat Tire, Ranger, and Rolle Bolle. Everything tasted okay, but probably would have been better fresh.

-----

I'm also drinking my Stone Southern Charred at the moment. It's not something I'd want to drink every day, but very good nonetheless. It might be my first barrel-aged beer, actually, aside from the w00tstout which was partially aged, I believe.

Edit: This stuff really is good. Bonkers that it was $20+ with tax, but good.

I buy Abyss every year, but I don't think its actually all that good. It varies from good to gnawing on tree branches.

Track down some Tough Love by Crux. The guy who created the Abyss left Deschutes and is now running his own little brewery in Bend. Tough Love is his new barrel-aged Imperial Stout.

Ron Mexico

Tennessee's beer scene isn't that great. If you can, stop in Lexington and check out Country Boy Brewing (top choice), then West 6th. Tell them I sent you. Depending on when you're going I could meet you.

So you're 100% right about the Tennessee beer scene it seems. Took a ride to Knoxville and stopped at Bearden Beer Market outside the University of Tennessee. Cool place and unlike anything I'd find in Jersey. Actually found Sam Adams' Cherry Chocolate Bock on tap which was a surprise hit from a craft beer fest a year or so ago. Beyond that, picked up a Yazoo seasonal lager for the hell of it. Nothing much else to speak of and the liquor laws here are insane.

As for Lexington, doesn't look like it's a bad ride from here. I'm in Crossville right off I-40. I'd likely be heading through Saturday or Sunday. I'll keep you posted.

codhand

They had both at CT Beverage Mart in Farmington, CT. Just near where I work.
I have had so many opportunities to get Gandhi Bot and pass each time, and I have no idea why. I LOVE IPAs, and the workers at every store I go to say people go nuts for it. Yet, all the workers say it is very good but not worth the furor it creates when they get it in.

Either way, I shall get it one day. It was just that Backwoods sounded better for the kind of day I was having.

Backwoods is awesome, totally different than a dipa obviously, but yes GandhiBot is worth the furor, it's in league with Heady Topper, Pliny, Zombie Dust, Jai Alai etc.

Unfortunately Farmington is far for me, but there's a CT bev mart in Orange or Milford I believe, maybe i'll find Backwoods there.

Went to an Allagash tap takeover last night, got to try Midnight Brett, unfortunately the James Bean kicked haha...

sohois

My local belgian beer bar had Delirium Tremens in their happy hour promotion. Good times, but now it's 8pm and suddenly I'm completely wasted hours before schedule.

I regret nothing

Seth C

So you're 100% right about the Tennessee beer scene it seems. Took a ride to Knoxville and stopped at Bearden Beer Market outside the University of Tennessee. Cool place and unlike anything I'd find in Jersey. Actually found Sam Adams' Cherry Chocolate Bock on tap which was a surprise hit from a craft beer fest a year or so ago. Beyond that, picked up a Yazoo seasonal lager for the hell of it. Nothing much else to speak of and the liquor laws here are insane.

As for Lexington, doesn't look like it's a bad ride from here. I'm in Crossville right off I-40. I'd likely be heading through Saturday or Sunday. I'll keep you posted.

Sounds good. I'll be in town all weekend, surprisingly enough. Lexington has 4 active breweries. Lexington Brewing is the big boy (Kentucky bourbon barrel ale). Country Boy and West 6th both opened last year. West 6th makes good, if predictable beer. Their ipa is top sweet for my liking. Country Boy is my favorite of the bunch, and one of my favorite breweries in the country. They experiment and their product is good. They've grown rapidly this year, with two major expansions. Blue stallion is new and focusing on German styles (the owner is German) but in my opinion, they don't have their process down. All of their beers had undesirable, off flavors last time I was there.

We also have a number of beer bars. Pazzo's pizza pub has about 50 taps, many of them pedestrian stuff, but always a good selection of good stuff too. Marikas is the German restaurant and bar. Less taps but a crazy bottle selection (700+). Beer trappe focuses almost explosively on rare beers. They had a KBS tapping last week. They also do bottle sales to go. Arcadium has good beers (no generic fluff) and bourbon, plus arcade games.

Angry Grimace

That was really stupid.

On a somewhat related, but not really, note, was I wrong to be irritated by this Twitter comment the other day?

3svlpdc.png

I've never been to one. But my minority opinion on beer storage is well known, e.g. the last page.

Long week of work over. Never drank this before because it was expensive but thought I treat myself since it was payday. Man does this hit the sweet spot. Goes down nice and smooth. I wish I was a baller to get more of these soon. =[

5b6bf6cf4ae28378e6e140c28e76ea13_640x640.jpg

Long week of work over. Never drank this before because it was expensive but thought I treat myself since it was payday. Man does this hit the sweet spot. Goes down nice and smooth. I wish I was a baller to get more of these soon. =[

97 on BeerAdvocate. Nice. I am jealous. Love me imperial stouts.

(Raises my glass of Jewbelation Reborn to drink with you)

97 on BeerAdvocate. Nice. I am jealous. Love me imperial stouts.

(Raises my glass of Jewbelation Reborn to drink with you)

Thank you, kind sir or ma'am. I'm very tempted to get some more of this in early 2014 before Ten Fidy gets discontinued for another year.

As for the previous person who asked how the Warlock was, it was pretty good. I enjoyed it more than Pumpking, that's for sure. I think the best pumpkin ale I drank this year was Shipyard's.

Thank you, kind sir or ma'am. I'm very tempted to get some more of this in early 2014 before Ten Fidy gets discontinued for another year.

As for the previous person who asked how the Warlock was, it was pretty good. I enjoyed it more than Pumpking, that's for sure. I think the best pumpkin ale I drank this year was Shipyard's.

Warlock was good. It tasted like liquified pumpkin bread to me. Favorite pumpkin ale this year was Fat Jack from Sam Adams. If you can still find it, grab it. More spicy than sweet if that is your thing.

EDIT: And about Jewbelation Reborn, a whole bottle by yourself is kind of rough. Only a few swallows left, and I am feeling it. HARD. Really yummy, and sometimes it feels like drinking syrup. But damn does it pack a punch.
Definitely one to split with someone else next time I get a bottle, since it is only in bombers.

Saw this for the first time here in CT today. Well, I mean I knew to look for it.

But they still had Gandhi Bot, and I figured since it keeps showing up in stock randomly anytime I visit a store, I should take it as a sign and finally buy it.
REALLY damn good. Like, really fucking great. Worth the insane furor that the clerks say customers have for it? No. It isn't life changing or anything. But worth every damn penny.
If the TenFidy is still there next time I will try that.

EDIT: Now that I have had time to keep sipping Gandhi Bot...yeah. It is really fucking great. Better and better as the evening goes on. Just like I like my IPAs.

aceface

I see Ghandi Bot every time I go to the store, but I always have something else in mind that I wanted to buy. Definitely gotta pick it up next time.

What came back with me from the first leg of my road trip. I've got a lot of beer to drink.

I hope you bought the packs of Provo Girl and Polygamy Porter as a joke... they're really watered down. If you were wanting some Utah beer to try shoulda went with something by Epic. A lot of other good stuff in your haul though!

Socreges

Banned
Phillips Snowcase Advent Calendar

Anyone got this? Or have any idea what's inside? I've got one here at home, but will probably gift it to a friend since I've also got this to consume during December:

Mmmm. 13 American beers. 10 Canadian. 1 Mexican (??). Less than a week to go.

t-ramp

Deschutes' Abyss arrived in town today, but I had to pass. Instead I picked up a four-pack of the Vanilla Bean Buffalo Sweat Stout from Tallgrass and some Sierra Nevada Celebration. Haven't had either before, but I'm looking forward to trying both.

fijim

Banned
Deschutes' Abyss arrived in town today, but I had to pass. Instead I picked up a four-pack of the Vanilla Bean Buffalo Sweat Stout from Tallgrass and some Sierra Nevada Celebration. Haven't had either before, but I'm looking forward to trying both.

Let us know how that Buffalo Sweat is, it sounds good.

PG2G

So... who is trying to get their hands on some BCBS on Black Friday?

I'll probably try to get a pack or two for the friends that have never been able to try it, and maybe to let some age a bit. Don't really think it blows away some of the other barrel aged stouts out there.

Am interested in trying to get my hands on some of the variants tho, if they make it to CA.

fijim

Banned
So... who is trying to get their hands on some BCBS on Black Friday?

I'll probably try to get a pack or two for the friends that have never been able to try it, and maybe to let some age a bit. Don't really think it blows away some of the other barrel aged stouts out there.

Am interested in trying to get my hands on some of the variants tho, if they make it to CA.

Yeah, I'll be trying to score all of the variants in Chicago. I have seen lots of people already getting bottles of all variants from stores that broke the date. Even saw some people that scored full cases of BCBS.

Top Bottom