• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Beer |OT|

Over at my wife's aunt and uncle for Christmas Eve. They're farmers outside Omaha. The NASCAR, Bud Light kind of people.

We broke open a 125th Anniversary Budweiser corked and caged 750ml bottle. Yep. Tasted like 12 year old Budweiser.

Over at my wife's aunt and uncle for Christmas Eve. They're farmers outside Omaha. The NASCAR, Bud Light kind of people.

We broke open a 125th Anniversary Budweiser corked and caged 750ml bottle. Yep. Tasted like 12 year old Budweiser.
That sounds so terrible and so awesome all at once haha.

fenners

I've always been curious, what's the difference between the different minute ipa's

Higher minute is hoppier or something?

It's the length of time they continuously hopped it, yes. But each style is a different tasting style/alcohol level too - the 120 minute is far stronger than the 60 minute.

Seth C

I've always been curious, what's the difference between the different minute ipa's

Higher minute is hoppier or something?

It coincides with the amount of time the beer had hops included in the wort boil. Hops can also be added later, "dry hopping", during fermentation or conditioning. Adding hops at different stages has varying impact on what you get from the hops -- aroma, bittering, resin, etc.

Absinthe

Deschutes_TheAbyss_2013Reserve-_1CC-.jpg

Great Christmas gift from the wife. This will be my first time trying it, but from what I've heard it's a top tier imperial.

Cr0wn0

Tomorrow night a local bar is tapping a keg of 2011 BCBS. They should also have some W00tstout on tap.

Nice! I loved W00tstout , I ended up picking up about 5 bottles when it came out here. I hope they release it again. Bcbs I'm probably going to follow the trucks next year.

Speaking of bcbs, my sister in laws new boyfriend came over. So I opened up a bottle to share and the dude took a sip and then basically did a shot with it. :(

Merry Christmas, beer bros!

I just had my first can ever yesterday and would be having another tonight. It definitely lived up to my expectations. Like nothing I've ever had before. And that coming from someone whose favorite style is IIPAs and has tried a ridiculous amount of them.

Coworker's got me Long Trail Coffee Stout (which I had last night), as well as Dogfish Head Sah'Tea. Enjoying the Sah' Tea right now. Nice sweet flavor.

Merry Christmas to all.

fijim

Banned
Christmas lineup:

Three Floyds Alpha Klaus
Shiner Holiday Cheer
Goose Island Proprietors Bourbon County Brand Stout
Great Lakes Christmas Ale
Perennial Abraxas
Breckenridge Vanilla Porter

Ranking for the night:

1. Abraxas - this beer is simply wonderful. Just a hint of chili, nice chocolate and cinnamon notes but not overpowering.
2. Proprietors BCBS - Tastes like a mounds bar, chocolate and coconut, thick and strong. Very good.
3. Alpha Klaus - Really an amazingly smooth porter, not overpowering on the Christmas spices just really nice.
4. GL Christmas Ale - a lot of Christmas flavor on this one, ginger, nutmeg, cinnamon.
5. Shiner Holiday Cheer - much lighter than the Great Lakes, but still lots of Christmas spices going on here. This one is easy to drink and I think a bit underrated. A very good Christmas beer.
6. Vanilla Porter - I have had this one a few times, and it never tastes as good as it sounds. A letdown.

t-ramp

I had a beerless Christmas, but just picked up four bottles at the store to make up for it.

Crooked Stave Vieille
Jolly Pumpkin La Roja
Pretty Things Babayaga
Trappistes Rochefort 8

Doing a mini brewery crawl tomorrow in Omaha. Storz, Borgata, Benson and Infusion.

Have only had Storz at beerfests, pretty basic lineup of styles that cater to the BMC crowd.

Borgata - New brewery by the founder of Lucky Bucket after he left. Have not been there so can't comment on the beer.

Benson - MIxed. Have had good beer there, have had not great beer there. The food can be mixed as well, hopefully they get things worked out before long or they will not be around much longer. Had the first brat that I was unable to finish here. It was awful.

Infusion - Head brewer (Aaron) can brew an amazing beer...at least as a homebrewer. No beers that stand out as a flagship as of yet. Hopefully this gets fixed. My personal favorite has been the Maiden Voyage, but one of the Ice Box beers might have the potential to be good.

If you are in Benson and want another beer, Jake's is worth a stop if you have not been there yet.

HiResDes

How is that Coffee Milk Stout? Almost grabbed some tonight but got Burton Baton instead.

It's fantastic, I think I might like it more than Founder's Breakfast, though they are pretty comparable. The Coffee Milk Stout has an even better head, better balance, and has this really drinkable taste that never becomes quite too bitter or ever too sweet. The aftertaste is what makes it better than Founder's, it starts out a better heavy and finishes light, creamy, and extremely palatable.

As someone who just finished a bottle of the Founder's BS and finished a 6 pack of the Narraganset coffee stout earlier this week, I'm going to have to disagree that the two beers are comparable. You get a huge coffee aroma the minute you open the Narraganset, but I didn't get as much coffee out of the taste as I thought I would. Founders is like a punch in the face the minute you open the bottle and you taste it through the entire glass. The Founders is also far thicker and denser (which makes sense, since it's 8.3% vs the Narraganset 5.0). The Narraganset is definitely a lot easier of a drink and I did like it a lot, but I don't think the two beers are even in the same weight class, they're so different.

Not sure how I feel about this one, never had a Flander's Red like this before...

They did a cherry from the wood version at the brewery. It was EPIC.

I'm having four friends over on Monday and we're opening a TON of limited HotD bottles. Otto, Cherry Adam from the Wood, Matt, Bourbon Fred, Doggie Claws 2009-2013, etc. Even a bottle of Adam from 1997.

Have only had Storz at beerfests, pretty basic lineup of styles that cater to the BMC crowd.

Borgata - New brewery by the founder of Lucky Bucket after he left. Have not been there so can't comment on the beer.

Benson - MIxed. Have had good beer there, have had not great beer there. The food can be mixed as well, hopefully they get things worked out before long or they will not be around much longer. Had the first brat that I was unable to finish here. It was awful.

Infusion - Head brewer (Aaron) can brew an amazing beer...at least as a homebrewer. No beers that stand out as a flagship as of yet. Hopefully this gets fixed. My personal favorite has been the Maiden Voyage, but one of the Ice Box beers might have the potential to be good.

If you are in Benson and want another beer, Jake's is worth a stop if you have not been there yet.

My father in law wants to hit up Storz based on his nostalgia with the old brand. I just want to check out new NE breweries.

PG2G

They did a cherry from the wood version at the brewery. It was EPIC.

I'm having four friends over on Monday and we're opening a TON of limited HotD bottles. Otto, Cherry Adam from the Wood, Matt, Bourbon Fred, Doggie Claws 2009-2013, etc. Even a bottle of Adam from 1997.

I had a Doggie Claws the other day and thought it was waaaaay too sweet. I was told it ages well tho and wouldn't mind stashing some if that's the case. Let me know how the vertical goes.

codhand

Got the most fucking awesome package from the homie Codhand, you're such a homie. I owe you man

no worries, enjoy just that shit! glad you like the milk stout.

As someone who just finished a bottle of the Founder's BS and finished a 6 pack of the Narraganset coffee stout earlier this week, I'm going to have to disagree that the two beers are comparable. You get a huge coffee aroma the minute you open the Narraganset, but I didn't get as much coffee out of the taste as I thought I would. Founders is like a punch in the face the minute you open the bottle and you taste it through the entire glass. The Founders is also far thicker and denser (which makes sense, since it's 8.3% vs the Narraganset 5.0). The Narraganset is definitely a lot easier of a drink and I did like it a lot, but I don't think the two beers are even in the same weight class, they're so different.

i agree that breakfast and the milk stout are pretty different, but his description of why he preferred the milk stout made sense having had both myself

Celebrate with me, guys. My 1000th unique check-in. The ladies were kind enough to model the shitty lager.

haha, this pic, classic. should be a badge for posting a pic with two or more sets of cleavage

popped a bottle of Halia last night, damn that is a delicious beer, not enough to satisfy my sour lust, but really delicate and nuanced

Tawpgun

So is there such thing as a beer exchange of some sort?

I'd love to try some BCBS or Zombie Dust but they're not sold anywhere here :(

fijim

Banned
Balance and subtlety are underutilized by brewers these days. Sometimes I want a beer with a coffee taste, not coffee with beer added.

Oh I agree, many regular stouts have hints of coffee, chocolate, fruits, etc.. that make them quite enjoyable. I think that is great.

But some beers really push one flavor forward, a coffee stout tends to be coffee forward and not just use hints of coffee. In those cases I enjoy it if the flavor is very prominent and not subtle. I have had coffee stouts where there isn't that much more coffee than a regular imperial stout. If a beer calls itself a coffee stout, or cherry stout, I better smell and taste it quite easily.

For most beers I agree though. It is nice to pick out the flavors and let them enhance the beer, instead of being hit in the face with one huge flavor. This is one of the reasons I don't enjoy most beers from Southern Tier, they just hit you in the face with flavor and it can be overpowering. Creme Brulee is way too sweet. Pumpking is way overpowering on the pumpkin flavor.

Top Bottom