• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Beer |OT|

Tawpgun

So we have our company holiday party at The Bell in Hand in Boston. A few blocks down Harpoon is having a charity celebration at the Harp. Bunch of their limited specialty brews are gonna be on tap. It's bring a toy or donate money to get in.

Considering it

PG2G

Is Pliny really worth the hype?

It doesn't blow me away compared to any other good DIPA. I feel like most of the people that rave about Pliny haven't tried enough beer to know that there is stuff that is just as good coming from their local breweries.

codhand

I thought so. It's funny though I let my parents try it, and they liked something way less coveted better. But as a DIPA fan it's a must try.

It doesn't blow me away compared to any other good DIPA. I feel like most of the people that rave about Pliny haven't tried enough beer to know that there is stuff that is just as good coming from their local breweries.

haha, youve probably had it way more than me. Plus in CT, my value is probably a little different.

What are all your opinions on this: To cellar or not to cellar (May need to be logged in to FB to view it)

I like Stone's CEO's idea of buying a case and enjoying one every set number of months i.e. 6 or just drinking it right then and there. With that said though I do have a bottle of The Abyss that I'm holding off on drinking.

HiResDes

I thought so. It's funny though I let my parents try it, and they liked something way less coveted better. But as a DIPA fan it's a must try.

haha, youve probably had it way more than me. Plus in CT, my value is probably a little different.

Is it much better than Hopslam, which I usually have readily available

PG2G

It could be that I prefer a more piney taste than Pliny has. When it cones to IPAs there is so much riding on someone's preference of hops

codhand

Is it much better than Hopslam, which I usually have readily available

i like a few better though not many, but i will say, it's a damn good looking beer, crystal clear hue, like a still lake of fresh beer,

also i think 8% is definitely the magic number for DIPA, says hopslam is more, i love Bells but havent had that one yet.

i know it's not a DIPA but i would put Two-Hearted in league with the aforementioned DIPAs, in terms of being worth getting

des id be more than happy to send you some gandhi bot

Elder is good but I prefer Blind Pig actually. Younger is fantastic but no way is it worth trying to get with the insanity surrounding it anymore. My friend was able to trade for a couple of growlers back when they sold growlers of it. I would actually be quite happy drinking fresh Dreadnaught (draught preferably).

PG2G

If you guys really want some pliny I could probably send some out. It hits every week (or two) here, but normally a one bottle limit.

It's a fantastic beer, but I definitely didn't think it lived up to the hype the first time I had it. Subsequent experiences have allowed me to enjoy it more and I'd never turn it down, but it didn't blow me away. I'd rather have an Enjoy By. BCBCS was an instance when I COMPLETELY thought the hype was justified, if that gives you a baseline.

pxleyes

Banned
Going to make a run to Total Wine tomorrow to pick up my holiday selections. Anything I should look out for?

I'm thinking...

Founder's Breakfast Stout x1 (giving it another try)
Full Sail Wassail x1 bomber
Sam Adams Old Fezziwig xAs many as I can get in singles
Abita Christmas Ale x2 (never had it)
Anchor Brewing Christmas Ale x2 (didn't like it in past years, apparently lighter this year)
Highland Thunderstruck Coffee Porter x6
St. Somewhere Levicto Divino (replacement for champagne on NYE)

Open to just about anything. Lots of heavy ales on that list and a few stouts/porters. Could see filling out the list with something hoppier.

codhand

Going to make a run to Total Wine tomorrow to pick up my holiday selections. Anything I should look out for?

I'm thinking...

Founder's Breakfast Stout x1 (giving it another try)
Full Sail Wassail x1 bomber
Sam Adams Old Fezziwig xAs many as I can get in singles
Abita Christmas Ale x2 (never had it)
Anchor Brewing Christmas Ale x2 (didn't like it in past years, apparently lighter this year)
Highland Thunderstruck Coffee Porter x6
St. Somewhere Levicto Divino (replacement for champagne on NYE)

Open to just about anything. Lots of heavy ales on that list and a few stouts/porters. Could see filling out the list with something hoppier.

sierra nevada celebration

Guys, I'm having my first ever bottle of Founders Kentucky Breakfast Stout right now (I'm in AZ, no distro). Holy cow, it's spectacular. I'd give BCBCS a slight edge, but this is just phenomenal.

fijim

Banned
Guys, I'm having my first ever bottle of Founders Kentucky Breakfast Stout right now (I'm in AZ, no distro). Holy cow, it's spectacular. I'd give BCBCS a slight edge, but this is just phenomenal.

Yeah great beer. I agree that BCBCS is better, but KBS is a really great beer.

terrible

Banned
That's a fun idea. I think when I get home I'll have some friends over for a blind test of Pliny the Elder, Heady Topper, and Ghandi Bot.

That'd be a heavy duty IIPA blind tasting. It's so interesting how obvious the differences in similar styled beers can be when you do something like that.

t-ramp

Does anybody have any Jolly Pumpkin recommendations? I'll probably get a bottle of one of their brews the next time I go beer shopping.

Someone get me this
http://www.mmmhops.com/home-2.html

Need it as a gift for someone lol

Man, that is limited. I wanna try it.

And still no Bourbon County variants here for me. I was about to buy another four pack of regular BCBS tonight because work sucked, but saw a Southern Tier Super Pack for the same price. A 12 pack with four bottles each of 2XIPA, Iniquity, and Unearthly IPA. $22 for that aint bad for around here, and I have yet to try any of them before. Going to be a good night indeed.

Kwixotik

Warming up with some Dark Truth Stout. It's pretty tasty.

Unrelated: do you guys know any cool places to check out in Des Moines? Doesn't have to be beer related, though I have heard of a couple bars there that interest me

Seth C

Unrelated: do you guys know any cool places to check out in Des Moines? Doesn't have to be beer related, though I have heard of a couple bars there that interest me

Fong's Pizza. Tell them I sent you. Good beer selection and fun pizza.

t-ramp

I'd like to get to El Bait Shop sometime, but I never really go to Des Moines.

CrankyJay

Banned
Just found out my brother in law likes good beer...and La Fin Du Monde was mentioned to me as a point of reference.

What other beers like this might be good to get in a 22oz bottle?

I was thinking at least one from the Ommegang Brewery, and maybe a Chimay if they had one...but anything else I shouldn't miss?

Datwheezy

Unconfirmed Member
Just found out my brother in law likes good beer...and La Fin Du Monde was mentioned to me as a point of reference.

I was thinking at least one from the Ommegang Brewery, and maybe a Chimay if they had one...but anything else I shouldn't miss?

If you are heading out to Premier Gourmet, grab this (I don't think Consumer's carries it): http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/202/656

That's my favorite beer in that style, but other good options are Chimay White and Delirium Tremens (you should be able to find those 2 at Wegmans or Consumer's)

CrankyJay

Banned
If you are heading out to Premier Gourmet, grab this (I don't think Consumer's carries it): http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/202/656

That's my favorite beer in that style, but other good options are Chimay White and Delirium Tremens (you should be able to find those 2 at Wegmans or Consumer's)

Damnit you know I'm from Buffalo. Lol. But that helps.

Not sure I'm up for the mob scene of premiere gourmet on a Saturday before Christmas.

Have you ventured out to Aurora Brew Works in East Aurora? Excellent selection as well.

Get him the Duvel gift set. The glass is a must have. Always a go-to.

000000198_0.jpg

Datwheezy

Unconfirmed Member
Damnit you know I'm from Buffalo. Lol. But that helps.

Not sure I'm up for the mob scene of premiere gourmet on a Saturday before Christmas.

Have you ventured out to Aurora Brew Works in East Aurora? Excellent selection as well.

Yeah, ABW is great! It's nice to be able to sit down and have a beer in there as well.

Can't go wrong with that Duvel set. I've seen this around lately as well:

chimay-gift-set-lg.jpg

Doomsayer

I had the "Mogli" last night, from Caldera Brewing (http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/1075/60990)... it's a great Imperial Porter, would probably buy it again.

Also had a Moylan's Imperial Stout, wasn't as good as the Mogli probably not worth the price tag. Picked up an Elijah Craig Eclipse (for a bottle share tonight) and a Beer Geek Mikkeller (for a beer float tomorrow).

Also got my Reserve Society Card!

It's been a good week.

Milchjon

Bought two big bottles of Chimay Bleu for the family duck dinner on Christmas. Will see how that goes.

Also, I finally found a smoked beer that I like. It's by De Molen, because it's an imperial stout, it has the body necessary to support the smoke.

Bought two big bottles of Chimay Bleu for the family duck dinner on Christmas. Will see how that goes.

Also, I finally found a smoked beer that I like. It's by De Molen, because it's an imperial stout, it has the body necessary to support the smoke.

Don't like the Aecht Rauchbiers? So amazing.

Unfortunately guys I am gonna tailgate tomorrow for the last Rams game so I'm gonna go cheap canned American Lager. I'm thinking Bud Ice. Sometimes you just have to man up and do what you gotta do

Top Bottom