• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Beer |OT|

Enjoyed my first Zombie Dust tonight. Lived up to the hype. Just about as delightfully drinkable as you can imagine. I wish 3 Floyd's had distribution here!

I'd like to try dark lord, although I have a feeling that the hype behind that one comes entirely from the difficulty of obtaining it.

It comes from the history. Dark Lord was conceived before the boom and that's when it gained its reputation. Nobody made anything like it then. Now everyone does, and, frankly, you can walk into any random brewery that makes an imperial stout and getting something better.

Milchjon

Don't like the Aecht Rauchbiers? So amazing.

Nah. The De Molen stuff has a bit of a single malt character while the Aecht Schlenkerlas taste/amell like black forest ham to me, which I just can't handle in a beer.

Fro. My experience, mostly people from the Bamberg area or wacky foreigners (Australians, Americans,..) like that stuff.

Seth C

Stone
Alesmith
Alpine
Ballast Point
Green Flash

Tough to go wrong in San Diego!

Go to Intergalactic and Societe please! Stone is completely skipable -- in fact, I would. If you need bar recommendations let met know.

Also, I'm drinking this:

wH7K2kD.jpg

Against the Grain (Louisville) 70k Imperial Stout. 13.1% of chocolate and pure grain alcohol.

Thanks for the suggestions guys. Also, this is my first time getting growlers. Are the breweries going to have bottles that I can buy, or should I come with my own?

Seth C

Thanks for the suggestions guys. Also, this is my first time getting growlers. Are the breweries going to have bottles that I can buy, or should I come with my own?

Seriously though, please go to Intergalactic. I promise you won't regret it, it is right by Ballast Point (you must go) and they have free pretzels from CostCo! And also Star Trek on projector.

PG2G

I was wondering about growler bottles. Will breweries have empty bottles I can buy and then get filled?

In CA most breweries actually have rules against filling anything but their own growled so they should all have them available. You won't be able to reuse them at different breweries as a result.

thespot84

I ended up getting a 40oz of King Cobra as part of a white elephant gift exchange. Should I drink it? Lol

you should buy another 40oz, duck tape one to each of your hands and make a night of it. Friends recommended. If someone asks, it's called 'edward forty-hands'.

Seth C

You should check it in on Untappd and watch beer nerds freak out.

It's like they've never heard of "having fun" before.

I was going to disagree with you on the basis that I've never had fun while drinking PBR (try as I might) but I checked the ABV. At 6%+ I can have fun with anything.

t-ramp

Part of the reason I go beer shopping at Hy-Vee is that they occasionally put excess stuff on great sales, generally as it nears the best by date. I got a 4-pack of the Plum Farmhouse Ale from Tallgrass for $2.99 today. Best by January 11th, so hopefully it will taste alright.

Part of the reason I go beer shopping at Hy-Vee is that they occasionally put excess stuff on great sales, generally as it nears the best by date. I got a 4-pack of the Plum Farmhouse Ale from Tallgrass for $2.99 today. Best by January 11th, so hopefully it will taste alright.

For $2.99 its not a bad deal, but set your expectations low. That beer was definitely not made with aging in mind and was not great the last time I had it in October...

t-ramp

For $2.99 its not a bad deal, but set your expectations low. That beer was definitely not made with aging in mind and was not great the last time I had it in October...
Yeah, I had one earlier. It wasn't very good. I would have liked it more tart, and the fruitiness didn't help anything. Still, for less than a dollar per pint, I can't complain too much.

Seth C

Beer Bros, I am currently at 992 beers on Untapped since April. Obviously this means I will celebrate 1000 before the end of the year. Should I wait for the 1,000th unique beer for NYE? If so, what beer should be 1,000?

Jeez, I'm at 650 uniques/1150 checkins since February 2011 (I think).

You should make it a Bud or Miller Light or something equally awful just to piss everyone off.

Or maybe if you want to pay for ultra express shipping I might be able to get you a Jumping the Shark (imperial stout, cognac barrel aged, dry black truffled) if there's any left...

Doomsayer

Untappd is so bad, there is another app for iOS that my buddies have, it seems pretty cool. I think it's called beerhunt.

My buddy came through with a Southern Tier Choklat last night, great Christmas gift!

We also started brewing our first Stout! I'm so excited.

Merry Christmas, beer bros.

fat pat

Gonna crack my 2012 BCS Coffee and BCS Backyard Rye tonight. This will be an excellent, excellent christmas.

I decided to get my family some beers in addition to other stuff.

Mom- Cuvee Des Jacobins Rouge - Kind of a gamble on if shes gonna like sours. Really could go either way.
Sister - Brookyln Sorachi Ace and Southern Tier Choklat
Bro in law - Hitachino Nest White and St Bernadus Wit
Dad - Pipeworks Citra Ninja and Great Divide Oak Aged Yeti

Merry Christmas, nerds!

Linius

6TXHQ07.jpg

Just drank a big bottle of this beer with my dad during dinner. Quite a heavy beer but very nice. It's from the Dutch island Texel, a fairly small local brewery.

Seth C

Gonna crack my 2012 BCS Coffee and BCS Backyard Rye tonight. This will be an excellent, excellent christmas.

I decided to get my family some beers in addition to other stuff.

Mom- Cuvee Des Jacobins Rouge - Kind of a gamble on if shes gonna like sours. Really could go either way.
Sister - Brookyln Sorachi Ace and Southern Tier Choklat
Bro in law - Hitachino Nest White and St Bernadus Wit
Dad - Pipeworks Citra Ninja and Great Divide Oak Aged Yeti

Merry Christmas, nerds!

Tomorrow night a local bar is tapping a keg of 2011 BCBS. They should also have some W00tstout on tap.

Top Bottom