• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Beer |OT|

Picked up a bottle of Unibroue Terrible and Shipyard Mint Chocolate Stout for New Years. Never had the Unibroue before and the Stout is for the wife. Looking forward to it though.

Enron

Banned
I had one of these this afternoon at Kevin Rathbun's Krog Bar in Atlanta. Really good!

33_6328495407100000002.jpg

k-9.jpg

Gonna plug Flying Dog since they're a local brewery here in MD. They're big on IPAs and I'm not, but I saw this last night and was glad to see it wasn't an IPA. And damn was it good! It's by far my favorite beer that they make, and I think I'd put it in my top 3 overall!

Went to one of my regular stores and bought their last 4 pack of BCBS. But then I got home and as I emptied it in the fridge I see all the bottles are Ten Penney Ale.
Was so pissed as I drove back to the store. Thankfully the guy who rang me out knows me and was pissed off too that he called another location and will be getting me a 4 pack for Monday and also gave me a pack of anything I wanted for the trouble. Wound up getting Founders Imperial Stout. Nice guy, and service like that is why I keep going there. Never asked for anything except what I paid for, but he delivered far beyond that.

Very limited space in the check baggage due to my daughter's Christmas gifts, but still managed to bring back three beers from Nebraska.

RHibGel.jpg

Certified Evil is a fucking odd beer, gonna share with some buddies to see what they think of it.

Momentary

Banned
While we were in Asheville we stopped at the Wicked Weed brewery and had some Cookies and Milk Stout.

20131222_183111_zps81472dc1.jpg

Was at Founders this weekend and enjoyed some Backyards Bastard and Sweet Repute on Draft.

20131227_135017_zps46bf0308.jpg

20131227_133503_zps916f8c98.jpg

We also snagged 3 bottles of Sweet Repute. It's my number one beer for 2013.

20131229_023552_zpsb22dac3d.jpg

The other day my wife also picked up a few Southern Tier Choklats (My number one beer from last year) and The Game of Thones: Take the Black Stout by Ommegang. Sorry for the crap quality. The picture is from my old RAZR. The Note 3 does such a way better job.

1486875_620748844652182_1070140109_n.jpg

While we were in Asheville we stopped at the Wicked Weed brewery and had some Cookies and Milk Stout.

20131222_183111_zps81472dc1.jpg

Was at Founders this weekend and enjoyed some Backyards Bastard and Sweet Repute on Draft.

20131227_135017_zps46bf0308.jpg

20131227_133503_zps916f8c98.jpg

We also snagged 3 bottles of Sweet Repute. It's my number one beer for 2013.

20131229_023552_zpsb22dac3d.jpg

The other day my wife also picked up a few Southern Tier Choklats (My number one beer from last year) and The Game of Thones: Take the Black Stout by Ommegang. Sorry for the crap quality. The picture is from my old RAZR. The Note 3 does such a way better job.

1486875_620748844652182_1070140109_n.jpg

Is Sweet Repute that good? Close to $20 for the bottle is turning me off, but Founders has impressed with everything I have had by them. Actually enjoying their wonderful Imperial Stout right now. And quite loved Backwoods Bastard the other month.

Socreges

Banned
Just downed the Hairy Eyeball with a friend:

lagunitas-hairy-eyeball-ale-300x350.jpg

(not my pic)

Delicious. Have to track down another for sure. Afterwards, as per custom, decided to check beeradvocate to see what other people thought and was surprised at some of the ho-hum reviews. Maybe it's just right up my alley (malty, somewhat boozy, mildly hoppy).

Just downed the Hairy Eyeball with a friend:

lagunitas-hairy-eyeball-ale-300x350.jpg

(not my pic)

Delicious. Have to track down another for sure. Afterwards, as per custom, decided to check beeradvocate to see what other people thought and was surprised at some of the ho-hum reviews. Maybe it's just right up my alley (malty, somewhat boozy, mildly hoppy).

For the price, Hairy Eyeball is a damn steal. $4.99 for the bottle here in CT, so it must be cheaper elsewhere. Glad you liked it.

Socreges

Banned
For the price, Hairy Eyeball is a damn steal. $4.99 for the bottle here in CT, so it must be cheaper elsewhere. Glad you liked it.
$7 CDN up in BC. Which is actually a reasonable price for an American import here. Most special releases are sold for anywhere from $8 to $17 (Brooklyn Anniversary Lager). I'm definitely willing to grab one more. Just found a place that has it in, too.

Also just noticed that this store has previously carried the SN Celebration..... but didn't this year for some reason....

Momentary

Banned
Is Sweet Repute that good? Close to $20 for the bottle is turning me off, but Founders has impressed with everything I have had by them. Actually enjoying their wonderful Imperial Stout right now. And quite loved Backwoods Bastard the other month.

Oh man it was worth it to me. Even though it's 12.6% the alcohol does not overpower the taste.This brew was aged in maple syrup bourbon barrels and then aged again in bourbon barrels over the course of sixteen months. If you can't handle sweeter beers then this might not be for you. It was excellent for me. It has nice hints of vanilla, caramel, toffee, and what seems to be toasted coconut angel food cake or pound cake to me. It's all finished off with that nice bourbon mapley taste.

I'm surprised I like this so much since I usually go for porters. This is a wheateine. If you're a fan of Southern Tier Choklat (which is the best chocolate bases beer IMO) or Old Curmudgeon Ale then you'll probably love this.

My second place for the year definitely would have gone to Backwoods Bastard if it wasn't for this. The Backwoods is definitely the more popular of the 2. But once word of mouth hits those brew lovers with a sweet tooth this thing is probably going to not be so widely available at the Founder's brewery next year. They had plenty there when I attended Friday.

On another note, they actually have EXCELLENT food for a brewery. It was damn delicious. And I like their saying... If you expect fast service go eat fast food. They are pretty packed and you basically seat yourself and fetch a server or wait until one comes to you. The best place to go would be to the bar if it's only 2 or 3 people in your group.

Robot_Rave

Neo Member
I need some suggestions on what alcohol to try. I haven't drank any alcohol before and I'm going out with someone tomorrow night for new years and we might be visiting some bars and I'd like to give it a try. So what's a good drink for a beginner? Preferably something that tastes like a soft drink. I wasn't sure what other thread to ask this in but this is the closest I guess.

Socreges

Banned
I need some suggestions on what alcohol to try. I haven't drank any alcohol before and I'm going out with someone tomorrow night for new years and we might be visiting some bars and I'd like to give it a try. So what's a good drink for a beginner? Preferably something that tastes like a soft drink. I wasn't sure what other thread to ask this in but this is the closest I guess.
Not sure what beer Australia has to offer, but I strongly suggest drinking very little. Like 2 or 3 beers, tops. You might also not like any beer since no beer is going to taste like a soft drink. But its worth trying.

If you want something like that, you're in the wrong thread. ;)

Try a Rekorderlig cider, Kopparberg cider or Bacardi Breezer. If you want to be brave and give beer a go, try Stone and Wood Pacific Ale (though it's scarce at the moment).

What state in Australia are you in?

PG2G

You're actually probably better off with cocktails, since those can do a pretty job at tasting good to non drinkers. Though you're at the mercy of the bar tender there.

If you are going to a nice-ish place they may have a bunch of cocktails on their menu. Probably stick with a vodka base and then goose based on the other stuff that's in it

Robot_Rave

Neo Member
If you want something like that, you're in the wrong thread. ;)

Try a Rekorderlig cider, Kopparberg cider or Bacardi Breezer. If you want to be brave and give beer a go, try Stone and Wood Pacific Ale (though it's scarce at the moment).

What state in Australia are you in?

Oh ok ive heard of rekorderlig. Im from western Australia btw

t-ramp

Went to one of my regular stores and bought their last 4 pack of BCBS. But then I got home and as I emptied it in the fridge I see all the bottles are Ten Penney Ale.
Was so pissed as I drove back to the store. Thankfully the guy who rang me out knows me and was pissed off too that he called another location and will be getting me a 4 pack for Monday and also gave me a pack of anything I wanted for the trouble. Wound up getting Founders Imperial Stout. Nice guy, and service like that is why I keep going there. Never asked for anything except what I paid for, but he delivered far beyond that.
That's low. Good thing you got it sorted.

Also, was that fresh FIS? I went to the store today to see if they'd got some yet and didn't find any. Ended up just getting a bottle of Samuel Smith's Taddy Porter and Dorothy's Lager from Toppling Goliath, which is still on the shelves here.

That's low. Good thing you got it sorted.

Also, was that fresh FIS? I went to the store today to see if they'd got some yet and didn't find any. Ended up just getting a bottle of Samuel Smith's Taddy Porter and Dorothy's Lager from Toppling Goliath, which is still on the shelves here.

Label says the Founder's Imperial Stout was bottled on 12/18/13. Pretty damn fresh.

And to continue the story, apparently they forgot to transfer over the 4 pack of BCBS to the store I regularly go to when I went to get it today. Same guy was there, and was even more pissed, so he was going to drive to the other store and get it himself on his lunch break. He told me to come back Tuesday and get it, and he would throw in another 4 pack of BCBS for all the bullshit. I tried telling him he was awesome enough for throwing the Founders in there for the trouble and not to bother with the extra BCBS, but he insisted. So hopefully tomorrow I will wind up with two four packs of BCBS just in time for New Year's Day. :)

And also grabbed a bottle of Sweet Repute near work for New Year's as well.

t-ramp

I find it odd that people are still picking up Southern Charred. I guess Iowa just didn't get hardly any of it compared to other places. I was lucky to even get one bottle, and I'm glad I did since it was one of my favorites from this year.

I find it odd that people are still picking up Southern Charred. I guess Iowa just didn't get hardly any of it compared to other places. I was lucky to even get one bottle, and I'm glad I did since it was one of my favorites from this year.

Southern Charred disappeared here in CT, but places still have tons of Crime and Punishment left. No one wants to touch them.

It was a bottle that someone had on hold in the back room but had never picked up. The guy called them and asked if they still wanted it. Apparently not.

qY2RrdB.jpg

So if you didnt see the onslaught last night on Untappd, I hosted a Hair of the Dog tasting with four of my best friends.

Adam 27 (1997)
Adam 86
Adam 90
Cherry Adam from the Wood 2012
Fred 86
Fred 90
Fred from the Wood 2013
Bourbon Fred from the Wood 2013
Otto from the Wood
Michael 2012
Doggie Claws 2011
Doggie Claws 2012
Doggie Claws 2013
Collage
Matt 2013

maxcriden

You need to try Heady Topper, friend.

I work a few minutes away from where it's made and it's still hard-ish to find around here, especially since they stopped selling it directly there. Restaurants, convenience stores and grocery stores in town have it, and more than they did in the past I think, but it's extremely popular and sells out quickly.

Happy New Year to Beer GAF. Looks like some exciting beers were had in/around New Years. I stuck with Prior 8 which I maintain is a better beer than Abt. 12 and it was delicious. I will get my hands on some of those crazy hyped IPAs/DIPAs one of these days. Until then, I will just grab Surly whenever I'm in Minneapolis and rave about how amazing it is to everyone who lives outside of the upper Midwest.

I love hearing about all the hyped beers and from the ones I have had, they are generally amazing beers.

HiResDes

Found a place in Boston that has BCBS!

24 bucks is kinda steep for a 4pack but whatever, gonna treat myself.

I can't believe how potent the beer is, it's basically like drinking straight bourbon with slight chocolate undertones and the edges completely smoothed off.

Seth C

I work a few minutes away from where it's made and it's still hard-ish to find around here, especially since they stopped selling it directly there. Restaurants, convenience stores and grocery stores in town have it, and more than they did in the past I think, but it's extremely popular and sells out quickly.

Seems pretty easy to find at the Waterbury grocery store. They sell cases, and as long as you get there anytime the day it is delivered (weekly) you can get it.

The Warren Store seems to sell out very quickly though.

maxcriden

Seems pretty easy to find at the Waterbury grocery store. They sell cases, and as long as you get there anytime the day it is delivered (weekly) you can get it.

The Warren Store seems to sell out very quickly though.

Yeah, Warren Store sells out really quickly. The Waterbury grocery store, assuming you mean Village Market, formerly RJ's, is often sold out but you're right that they seem to restock regularly. Lots of out-of-owners buying cases. Just seemed much easier to find when you could walk right in to where it's made. BTW, are you in VT as well?

Seth C

Yeah, Warren Store sells out really quickly. The Waterbury grocery store, assuming you mean Village Market, formerly RJ's, is often sold out but you're right that they seem to restock regularly. Lots of out-of-owners buying cases. Just seemed much easier to find when you could walk right in to where it's made. BTW, are you in VT as well?

Nope! Just passed through early last month and picked up a case of my own. :) Down to 6 cans now though.

Top Bottom