• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Beer |OT|

fijim

Banned

Jesus. That sounds amazing.

Mother of God

It was pretty epic. I think Blushing Monk was the best of the bunch.

Deca was holding up quite well for being 6 years old, really cool to try this, these are pretty rare at this point.

CBS has almost no Maple flavor left, but it still tastes delicious. Just not worth the trade value or $200 people want for a bottle.

Backwoods Bastard I would say is good fresh or with one year on it, but older than that it does not improve.

Frangelic Mountain Brown was polarizing for people. I really liked it, tons of nut flavor.

Also had a growler of Grand Rapids Stout, which was pretty good.

ianswoody

My beer haul from home. Brought back a lot more multiples, but those are for local trade here in Rochester. Niiiiiiiiiiice!

IMAG0113.jpg

t-ramp

Nice. The only beer from that haul that I've had is Tank 7, which I didn't particularly care for. Looks like a good selection, though.

Here's my small haul from today:

CruPr4B.jpg

And also the Wall of Shame for this thread's first 10,000 posts:

Pu6B0PV.png

PG2G

I've been trying to cut back on my liquor store visits and purchases. I haven't bought anything in 2014 yet, wooohooo lol. Wonder how long I can make it.

I'm also sick and haven't been able to drink anything too though.

But until then...

gblB8vy.jpg

Parents just got back from a week in Bend, OR. Got me a bottle of Deschutes' pub-only release of Big Red (Imperial Red aged in wine barrels) and Upright's Billy the Mountain (old ale with brett). The three Crux bottles are a thank you from the owner and his wife for giving them our front load dryer (had to get a new set, didn't want to throw away perfectly good dryer!)...

Nice. The only beer from that haul that I've had is Tank 7, which I didn't particularly care for. Looks like a good selection, though.

Here's my small haul from today:

CruPr4B.jpg

And also the Wall of Shame for this thread's first 10,000 posts:

Pu6B0PV.png
I keep eyeing Widmer Bros. Stuff at the store and never buy it. But that bottle looks tempting. Shall look for it next visit.

SCORE! Place next to work finally got in Bourbon County Barelywine and Coffee variants. Limit of 2 bottles per customer, so I got one of each. Finally.

t-ramp

Nice. The barleywine was definitely my favorite of the three I've had. I'm not really a fan of the coffee version (drinking one now actually, my second), and the standard BCBS was a bit too much to really enjoy. I do still have three bottles of BCBCS if anyone wanted to trade or something.

Started tonight with a St. Bernardus Abt 12. Finishing it with the Bourbon County Barleywine. My first time having either one of them.

To sum up my feelings in GIF form:

fXAPa7U.gif

mUQUe58.gif

QnQtmsP.gif

2XrQ8Xc.gif

Socreges

Banned
Ongoing preliminary discussions with the gf about a drive down the coast from Vancouver to SoCal this summer...

Honestly the only thing crossing my mind while we talk is all the awesome, new beers I'd get to pick up. Good thing she tolerates my newfound beer geekness.

PG2G

Ongoing preliminary discussions with the gf about a drive down the coast from Vancouver to SoCal this summer...

Honestly the only thing crossing my mind while we talk is all the awesome, new beers I'd get to pick up. Good thing she tolerates my newfound beer geekness.

Bring us down some Cantillon :p

PG2G

I'd be willing to trade some limited SoCal stuff (special alesmith releases for example) for Cantillon stuff that isn't just the basic Gueuze or Kriek.

Though I'm guessing stuff like St Lamvinus doesn't sit on the shelf there?

I was just joking around.

I'd be willing to trade some limited SoCal stuff (special alesmith releases for example) for Cantillon stuff that isn't just the basic Gueuze or Kriek.

Though I'm guessing stuff like St Lamvinus doesn't sit on the shelf there?

The limited release stuff doesn't fly off the shelves as quick as you'd think. It hangs around for 3-4 weeks before selling out.

Just some random pickups from the last 10 days or so. A lot more was purchased but I don't have all the pictures. Sorry for shit quality I usually just snap a picture with my phone so I can remember what we bought.

Yeah, we drink A LOT

JBsGjyu.jpg

ZzSuArp.jpg

QNhiGPK.jpg

ipCbgIx.jpg

LLnIOJ9.jpg

johnsmith

remember me
Just some random pickups from the last 10 days or so. A lot more was purchased but I don't have all the pictures. Sorry for shit quality I usually just snap a picture with my phone so I can remember what we bought.

LLnIOJ9.jpg
I randomly picked this up last Friday too, but haven't tried it yet. How was it?

I randomly picked this up last Friday too, but haven't tried it yet. How was it?

That picture I posted was from 20 minutes ago so good time to ask. I was really impressed with how smooth it was for 7.6ABV.

Definitely has a toasty but not overly smokey taste taste but very drinkable for me. I just threw another one in the freezer while I work on a Stella because I enjoyed it so much.

PG2G

So I found this beer in the limited batch section and picked it up on a whim, and I love it! I think it tastes like an abbey beer mixed with an imperial stouts, and it's right up my alley.

I love Narwhal, definitely a solid beer. I wonder if they have ever done barrel treatments of it

fijim

Banned

Enjoying Big Hugs, a great coffee imperial stout from Half Acre in Chicago. Wow this is good, smooth creamy, bold coffee, dark fruit, chocolate. I love this stout.

Every year they have a new awesome label for this beer.

This year the label peels back to reveal a hidden label.

(not my picture)

Had the Dogfish Head World Wide Stout, and it was great. And damn does it hit hard at 18% ABV, which I did not know until I finished it.

And now I am finally trying to Bourbon County Coffee Stout. The only way to really describe it:
5UujICz.gif

Socreges

Banned
Nice. I do have to say that Vancouver to SoCal is probably one of the best beer road trips there is.
Why couldn't Illinois be tucked between Nevada and California? :(

Drinking one of Vancouver's best for the first time right now. Red Racer Imperial IPA. My God it's delicious.

I actually like the standard Red Racer IPA over the Imperial. Not as malt-forward.

Fat Tug is still the best IPA from British Columbia. Driftwood rules.

t-ramp

its ruthless rye season! woo
Probably going to get some of this when I see it. I bought some last year due to the artwork and enjoyed the contents too.

I also have a couple of Toppling Goliath's newest XHOPS experimental pale ales on hold for me to pick up. I missed out on the Red and Green versions and have no idea what to expect from their Blue and Yellow ones, but I'm sure they will be good.

I guess while I'm posting... anybody had Sam Adams' Cold Snap yet? I figure it's going to be decent like most of their seasonals. Alpine Spring was okay, and this sounds like it is a similarly inoffensive replacement at worst.

Gurvon

Neo Member
Yo fellow beer gaffers!

Swedish Craft beer enthusiast here hoping to tag along in this thread.

Managed to score myself a pretty unusual one today called "Fatamorgana" from Omnipollo (Swedish/Belgian collaboration brewery if you've missed out on them).
This new brew was actually brewed in the US though (at Dog Brewing) and is an american style double IPA.
A beautiful bottle and a very nice grapefruit tasting beer that I could easily see myself sipping on during a summer eve.

ipQOFm4.jpg

Those IPA glasses came in I was talking about couple pages back. Of course I can't taste a difference but I feel cool sipping from it.

Here is what they say they are supposed to do:

With input from two of the leading IPA brewers in the United States- Sam Calagione of Dogfish Head and Ken Grossman of Sierra Nevada- Spiegelau has created the new standard for IPA beer glassware. The Spiegelau IPA glass is designed to showcase varying aromatic profiles for the American 'hop forward' IPA beer, preserve a frothy head and volatiles and maintain a comfortably wide opening for the drinker to "nose" the beer. This is the go-to vessel for IPA beers!

Y0OULFX.jpg

mcfrank

Picked up a couple of bottles of this when I was at The Bruery last weekend. I do not really care for it much, but my wife loves it since it tastes like an orange creamsoda.

the-bruery-noble-ale-works-tout-mais-le-colle-L-VXERwU.png

Tawpgun

too lazy to post pics,

but I went to Trader Joes and got a pick six consisting of

Stone IPA
Sierra Nevada Stout - I liked it. Good solid dark beer.
Stockyard Oatmeal Stout
Brooklyn Lager - Didn't really taste like much, wasn't a big fan
Harpoon Winter Warmer
Harpooon White IPA - LOVED this. Harpoon IPA is one of my favorites and I cant tell if like this one better.

Lemme know what you think of these

Added notes to the ones ive had so far,

Also picked up a 6 pack of tall boy bud lights for tonight NOICE!

t-ramp

Got the new Toppling Goliath, plus some Ruthless Rye and a couple extras.

When I stopped to get the Cold Snap, I noticed Hy-Vee had some dusty 2012 Green Flash Friendship Brew on clearance for $7 a four-pack, which I found fairly amusing. If the reviews were better or it had been cheaper I might have risked it.

Jamesways

Any MN or Wis folks try this?
Central Waters Space Ghost. Imperial Stout brewed with Ghost Peppers.
Got a great bite to it, but not throat closing, really the right amount of heat.
Fantastic beer.
beer_224495_zps00dc05c2.jpg

Top Bottom