• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Beer |OT|

Linius

Bought some Westmalle Tripel for tonight, first time I'm trying that one. Only had the dubbel before.

Oh and some shitty American beer I never saw before in my local supermarket. It's called Miller, the bottle looked cool (there's a freaking eagle in the logo) so I decided to take one with me for the early evening :p

aceface

Bought some Westmalle Tripel for tonight, first time I'm trying that one. Only had the dubbel before.

Oh and some shitty American beer I never saw before in my local supermarket. It's called Miller, the bottle looked cool (there's a freaking eagle in the logo) so I decided to take one with me for the early evening :p

It's Miller time!

If you lived in America and watched any sports you would hear this x1000000.

PG2G

Today's haul, glad to have come across some Southern Charred

WC1XFrW.jpg

All SoCal stuff

hahah thats nutty. What Miller bottle is it? can you post pic. Also, what country?

fijim

Banned
Any MN or Wis folks try this?
Central Waters Space Ghost. Imperial Stout brewed with Ghost Peppers.
Got a great bite to it, but not throat closing, really the right amount of heat.
Fantastic beer.
beer_224495_zps00dc05c2.jpg

I've been meaning to pick up a bottle. Great price, only $6-7

I've heard really good things, Central Waters makes some great beers.

Rei_Toei

Fclvat sbe Pnanqn, ru?
It's Miller time! :p

I like it how they put the eagle in the bottle, not just the cheap sticker. I'm in The Netherlands btw.

EDIT

So many bubbles!

Nothing wrong with trying new things but it pains my heart that Albert Heijn devotes shitloads of shelf space to this, Desperado, mediocre Italian drivvel like Peroni, Jillz, all the shitty fruity beers and whatnot, asking ridiculous prices for it (6 bottles of Miller is over €8 - you're close to getting 24 bottles of decent pilsner for that) and in doing so limiting space they could use for great local stuff or Belgian classics. At least their selection has improved in recent years and I'm not complaining of the bigger stores permanently carrying Orval, Rochefort, Chimay, Westmalle, La Trappe etc selection.

Linius

My local Albert Heijn has Westmalle, Duvel, Chimay, Leffe and a few other nice beers. There's an instore Gall & Gall too, but they only sell heavy stuff. No beers sadly. When I walked in there today the lady behind the counter was looking at me with a look that said "you're not 18 boy" anyways :p

Think I'm gonna pass by Mitra or whatever these stores are called in town to see if they have some more stuff.

Also, I'll never drink that Miller shit ever again. That was bad.

Now it's time for some quality stuff.

Rei Toei, you ever tried the Texelse Bieren? Their Bock beer is amazing.

fijim

Banned

I don't know if you get any good American craft beer in the Netherlands but don't think that Miller is representative of American beer, we don't like it either ;)

I've had some good stuff from De Molen, a few shops near me carry their stuff.

Linius

I don't know if you get any good American craft beer in the Netherlands but don't think that Miller is representative of American beer, we don't like it either ;)

I've had some good stuff from De Molen, a few shops near me carry their stuff.

Yeah, I know it's some kind of beer you guys would probably only drink at parties to get drunk.

I do know about a bar in Amsterdam that serves all kinds of American beer. Pretty sure there must be a shop that sells bottled beers too somewhere, but I never looked for it actually.

Well, if you guys in the thread can recommend some American beers I can try to find them over here.

Salaadin

Ever since Im 21, my primary beer is Yuengling Lager because its cheap and plentiful where I live. For the past few weeks, Ive been branching out to try other beers that I never heard of or things that just catch my eye.

Today, I got a 6 packs of Founders Dirty Bastard and holy shit. Its like I took a mouthful of...the Earth? There are so many flavors going on that Im not sure what to make of it. My first bottle was very weird. I wasnt sure if I liked it or not but this second one is going down much better and Im actually really enjoying it.

Ever since Im 21, my primary beer is Yuengling Lager because its cheap and plentiful where I live. For the past few weeks, Ive been branching out to try other beers that I never heard of or things that just catch my eye.

Today, I got a 6 packs of Founders Dirty Bastard and holy shit. Its like I took a mouthful of...the Earth? There are so many flavors going on that Im not sure what to make of it. My first bottle was very weird. I wasnt sure if I liked it or not but this second one is going down much better and Im actually really enjoying it.

Now try Backwoods Bastard and have your mind blown again.

Rei_Toei

Fclvat sbe Pnanqn, ru?
My local Albert Heijn has Westmalle, Duvel, Chimay, Leffe and a few other nice beers. There's an instore Gall & Gall too, but they only sell heavy stuff. No beers sadly. When I walked in there today the lady behind the counter was looking at me with a look that said "you're not 18 boy" anyways :p

Think I'm gonna pass by Mitra or whatever these stores are called in town to see if they have some more stuff.

Now it's time for some quality stuff.

Rei Toei, you ever tried the Texelse Bieren? Their Bock beer is amazing.

Yes, they make great stuff! Their Bock is great indeed and I also really like their Weizener (Skuumkoppe). Definitely among the best microbreweries in the country. Though I'm also fond of Emelisse, De Molen and 't IJ. And then there are rather new breweries such as Brouwerij Hommeles and Het Uiltje doing interesting stuff. Set aside shitty stuff at AH times are pretty good for a beer enthousiast in the Netherlands :).

Both Mitra and Gall & Gall are picking up the popularity of craft beer - Mitra has a pretty decent selection in their webshop and they deliver for free to their webshops; Gall & Gall recently changed their distribution system which allows them to carry more beers on the shelves.

Linius

Yes, they make great stuff! Their Bock is great indeed and I also really like their Weizener (Skuumkoppe). Definitely among the best microbreweries in the country. Though I'm also fond of Emelisse, De Molen and 't IJ. And then there are rather new breweries such as Brouwerij Hommeles and Het Uiltje doing interesting stuff. Set aside shitty stuff at AH times are pretty good for a beer enthousiast in the Netherlands :).

Both Mitra and Gall & Gall are picking up the popularity of craft beer - Mitra has a pretty decent selection in their webshop and they deliver for free to their webshops; Gall & Gall recently changed their distribution system which allows them to carry more beers on the shelves.

Ah, I see now. Mitra has a pretty wide selection of beers. Apparently their shop in my town is gone so Amsterdam is the closest for me to dodge shipping costs. I might just order some beers there next time, not sure what I want to try though. I see they have Jopen bier, thats's one I was curious about for a while now. So many different sorts too.

Socreges

Banned
So which Portland beer festival should I be timing our trip for? Oregon Brewers Festival in July? Or Portland International Beerfest in August?

Or another?

My buddy was over in Central WA last weekend, so he hooked me up with some Bale Breaker.

8cURGz7.jpg

Brewery from Yakima, WA in the middle of a hop farm. Went there over the summer. They currently don't distribute to Seattle. Field 41 is the best pale I've ever had. Yes, I've had Zombie Dust. Field 41 is better.

codhand

My buddy was over in Central WA last weekend, so he hooked me up with some Bale Breaker.

Brewery from Yakima, WA in the middle of a hop farm. Went there over the summer. They currently don't distribute to Seattle. Field 41 is the best pale I've ever had. Yes, I've had Zombie Dust. Field 41 is better.

Distant Mantra: Oh you're going somewhere?
Distant Mantra's Friend: [Sigh] Yes, I'll pick you up some beers...

That's a quality friend right there!

Whenever SBZ gets together for basically any reason, it turns into a bottle share.

Sporting event? Bottle share.
One of our kid's birthday parties? Bottle share.
Downton Abbey with the wives? Bottle share.

There's no expectation of it, but we always seem to all show up with a bomber or two to share.

Socreges

Banned
$13 up here...... worth it?

(For comparison, regular bombers up here are generally $6-8 while anniversary, barrel aged and the like are $10-13)

Currently sipping this interesting brew:

Nitrogenated milk stout.

P49 is quietly emerging as one of my favourite local breweries. Their Salty Scot and Toques of Hazzard (White IPA) are great beers. They've got a nitrogenated ESB and IPA coming, too...

fijim

Banned
$13 up here...... worth it?

(For comparison, regular bombers up here are generally $6-8 while anniversary, barrel aged and the like are $10-13)

I usually see that for around $10 a bomber, so $13 is a bit high but might be worth a shot. It's a very good Belgian style dubbel. If you can find it in 4-packs for around the same price that would be a much better deal.

johnsmith

remember me
Drinking some hometown (kind of) stuff tonight. Uinta Anniversary Barleywine. Really good and very drinkable considering it packs a big punch at 10.4%. Highly recommended.

beer_3716.jpg

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
picked up some sam adams rebel IPA. "west coast style IPA". decent enough, but tastes very safe, as if its an IPA to appeal to the masses rather then true hop heads. not bad, but not remotely memorable.

Socreges

Banned
go to school an hour away from ommegang brewey so its a lot cheaper than that here, its good stuff but not worth that much
And certain Belgian beers are half the price in Europe, but people still happily pay the premium.

I guess it was a silly question to ask Americans. Of course it's going to be less expensive close to the brewery and $13 will seem absurdly expensive. Apparently Fat Tug IPA is $10 in parts of Vancouver, whereas it's $6 just across the water. I'd still recommend people buy it once, though, if only to understand the hype behind it.

Before Driftwood left the state, Fat Tug was $10 a bomber in Seattle. Importation tax is killer. Got two left that my friends grabbed me in Victoria the other weekend for $5 a bottle.

PG2G

I don't know what it is about Ommegang that makes me not want to bother with their stuff anymore. I think I kinda feel the same way about Allagash but Curiuex is still a stand out and they still have the nice limited ones like FV13.

Or maybe I'm just completely missing out.

Boxcar

Neo Member
Stumbled across the a bottle of Cuvee des Jacobins Rouge and was pretty blown away by it. I'm all-in on sours right now, just wish I had greater access to them.

Socreges

Banned
Anyway I've got one set aside with a $9 Southern Tier Iniquity. I'll pick them up when I'm in the mood to spend $20 on two beers...

fijim

Banned
I don't know what it is about Ommegang that makes me not want to bother with their stuff anymore. I think I kinda feel the same way about Allagash but Curiuex is still a stand out and they still have the nice limited ones like FV13.

Or maybe I'm just completely missing out.

I think Hennepin is a great beer, I could drink that anytime.

I think with their bigger beers, usually I can just get a real Belgian instead of theirs, so maybe that is it. But they do make good beer.

aceface

go to school an hour away from ommegang brewey so its a lot cheaper than that here, its good stuff but not worth that much

Where do you go to school? I live about an hour from there too.

I'd pay $13 once to try it if I couldn't get it cheaper but not again after that.

How do y'all keep track of which beers you've liked / tried / hated / etc?

I seem to keep forgetting which is which and buying the same ones when I'm intending to try something new.

Untappd works for this.

Yep, that's my lazy system to remember beers nowadays. However, I still have a pretty sharp memory of what beers I've drank and liked. Brooklyn BCS, Founders Imperial Stout, Ten Fidy, and Ol' Rasputin are some of the ones programmed into my intoxicated brain as repeaters.

Seth C

Yep, that's my lazy system to remember beers nowadays. However, I still have a pretty sharp memory of what beers I've drank and liked. Brooklyn BCS, Founders Imperial Stout, Ten Fidy, and Ol' Rasputin are some of the ones programmed into my intoxicated brain as repeaters.

Someone enjoys stouts, of the imperial variety.

Top Bottom