• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Beer |OT|

Linius

Was in a Belgian beer cafe in Amsterdam today so I decided to try something new. I ordered Orval, and I'll probably drink that more often from now on. Really liked it.

HiResDes

We have this seasonal called Thunder snow, made by Madtree, that has to be my new favorite. It's smoother than a milk Stout and more complex than Old Rasputin. The only bad thing is that they didn't can or bottle it.

t-ramp

Hmm. I just found out Baraboo is Hy-Vee's beer brand, which is brewed by Stevens Point. Interesting. I think I had their marzen, which was forgettable.

Picked some up for the first time in a couple years. I think the $20 price made me realize why I haven't been buying much of it.

12073624975_7d676373a0_z.jpg

Picked up some Victory Hop Ranch and Dirt Wolf on Sunday. Wow, those are 2 fantastic brews. Victory definitely nailed it with those.

t-ramp

Picked some up for the first time in a couple years. I think the $20 price made me realize why I haven't been buying much of it.

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7441/12073624975_7d676373a0_z.jpg

Picked up some Victory Hop Ranch and Dirt Wolf on Sunday. Wow, those are 2 fantastic brews. Victory definitely nailed it with those.
I would like to try Hopslam, but $20+ is a bit much. It seems kind of odd that they'd keep it in a 6-pack at that price.

Oh well, plenty of other stuff to try. I picked up a 4-pack of Maudite yesterday plus bombers of Pretty Things' Jack D'Or and Peace Tree's Imperial Stout.

fijim

Banned

It's a great beer, but I still think Lagunitas Sucks or FW Double Jack is just as good or better.

I would buy Hopslam if it was a $10-12 6 pack and I didn't need to run to the liquor right after they tweet that it came in, in order to get it.

Hop Slam is good, but the hype is pretty ridiculous when there are beers just as good that are easily obtainable and cheaper.

Yep. Just wanted to try it since it's been a while. We're getting Deschutes in this week and we get Lagunitas in about 2 weeks. More options to choose from. I could do without buying anymore HopSlam after having those Victory beers. I am looking forward to Sucks and Hop Stoopid though.

Cr0wn0

Hop slam sells out here within hours. One local place does a hopslam and donuts party. I can't really do IPAs ( they all taste like soap to me) but it's one of the few that tastes decent to me. It's way hyped here.

Or Japan, where $20 will only just barely buy you a pint.
Paid $15 for 350-ish mL of Rogue Brutal IPA at a bar in Melbourne once... so probably about the same.

Local brews are, obviously, much cheaper (well, usually - last year I paid $23 for 350mL of a locally-brewed cognac barrel-aged imperial stout with black truffles).

US beer drinkers don't know how good they've got it. In Australia, tax on beer is automatically raised twice a year.

TKR92

Even in MI, the six-pack is $16.

I never really appreciated alesmith ipa's nose before.

Lemon oil, tangerine, grapefruit, light creamy heather honey, and a fresh floral note. Really good stuff.

t-ramp

I've heard SSR is good, and figured I might as well grab a bottle of Hopslam ($4.99, yikes) and Off Color's Troublesome. From what I've heard, Iowa's the first place Off Color has been distributed besides Chicago, which is kind of strange.

Thanks! We went to collins cause it was close to the hotel. Nice place, celebrator bottle on top of the taps is a good sign.

Yep! The really good stuff is in North Seattle where I live. You should get up here. Brouwers, Fremont brewing, Reuben's, Bottleworks, Sixgill, Noble Fir, Uber, Big Time, etc.

Socreges

Banned
It's funny how threatened InBev is by microbreweries. They've had commercials where they use words like "crafted" and focus on the intimate process of brewing as if they're not a massive conglomerate. Now they've got a commercial that features their "brewmaster" talking passionately... about Budweiser.

Doesn't change the fact that it tastes like piss.

bowery

It's funny how threatened InBev is by microbreweries. They've had commercials where they use words like "crafted" and focus on the intimate process of brewing as if they're not a massive conglomerate. Now they've got a commercial that features their "brewmaster" talking passionately... about Budweiser.

haha reminds me of the dominoes "chef" in the kitchen in commercials

Yep! The really good stuff is in North Seattle where I live. You should get up here. Brouwers, Fremont brewing, Reuben's, Bottleworks, Sixgill, Noble Fir, Uber, Big Time, etc.

Sixgill was nice, but we unfortunately had to get going before exploring anywhere else. How is that norms place in fremont? It looked pretty popular driving by

Sixgill was nice, but we unfortunately had to get going before exploring anywhere else. How is that norms place in fremont? It looked pretty popular driving by

Norm's is a fun place, but the beer isn't a focus.

The guys who brew for AB InBev know how to make good beer. They just don't make it for AB InBev. Good thing a lot of them start their own breweries.

Socreges

Banned
The guys who brew for AB InBev know how to make good beer. They just don't make it for AB InBev. Good thing a lot of them start their own breweries.
Which makes that commercial all the more absurd. Budweiser is still Budweiser.

I've known some guys who've gone to school to become brewmasters. Apparently it used to be that virtually all were hoping to secure positions with big breweries, but that's changing as many aspire to open their own business (with partners obviously) or get hired by new microbreweries.

matt360

Paid $15 for 350-ish mL of Rogue Brutal IPA at a bar in Melbourne once... so probably about the same.

Local brews are, obviously, much cheaper (well, usually - last year I paid $23 for 350mL of a locally-brewed cognac barrel-aged imperial stout with black truffles).

US beer drinkers don't know how good they've got it. In Australia, tax on beer is automatically raised twice a year.

Very true. Good thing I'll be going there in two weeks!

Socreges

Banned
HUB Hopworks IPA
Old Rasputin RIS

Thoughts on these two? Neither the best of their style, but nevertheless great examples.... is the impression I've gotten. Does the Rasputin RIS have strong coffee flavours? I might just avoid it if so.

HiResDes

Old Rasputin is fantastic, and is more than just coffee flavors, though it has a few coffee notes...The overall taste is more of dark chocolate and a slight smokiness. Definitely one of the very best RIS that is widely distributed.

HUB Hopworks IPA
Old Rasputin RIS

Thoughts on these two? Neither the best of their style, but nevertheless great examples.... is the impression I've gotten. Does the Rasputin RIS have strong coffee flavours? I might just avoid it if so.

I like old rasputin a lot. It's definitely not the best at what it does, but I never regret getting one for dessert at the end of a night.

Hopworks ipa doesn't do it for me anymore. I live a few blocks from one of their locations in portland, so I've had quite a few of them. Even on cask it just tastes boring, but that's probably because I've had it so often. A couple better examples of a citrusy/piney ipa are boneyard RPM and russian river's blind pig.

t-ramp

Has anyone had Matt's Burning Rosids from Stone yet? I picked up a bottle as well as some Enjoy By earlier. Kind of cool that they'd do a memorial beer, and something seemingly unique at that. I'm looking forward to trying it.

SCORE! Found the new Stone Enjoy By today.
Stone now has an official distributor in Australia! I haven't been able to get them to promise they'll have access to any specials, or Enjoy By etc, but they've claimed to have "the full range", so we'll see.

No more crazy-overpriced grey imports that are at their best before dates!

Was returning bottles tonight and the clerk noticed I had a Stone Enjoy By. So they told me about this one they had hiding behind the counter:
xBx4Ufh.jpg

Also grabbed this:
8HKQq02.png

Top Bottom