• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Beer |OT|

fijim

Banned
That Tilquin is awesome, one of the best Gueuzes out there. People go nuts for Cantillon and buy up all the 3F, but that one is right up there and I can always find it sitting on the shelf.

PG2G

That Tilquin is awesome, one of the best Gueuzes out there. People go nuts for Cantillon and buy up all the 3F, but that one is right up there and I can always find it sitting on the shelf.

Yeah, both 3F and Tilquin can be found around here. Guess they don't have that hype lol

And to think Cantillon used to sit on the shelf around here. Not sure why people started going crazy for it all of the sudden (years ago). Guess BA made it trendy at some point (along with everything else). Look for Girardin 1882 (White label). Another good one with no hype.

The Bottleworks XV release was today. Lost Abbey did a dark ale aged in tequila barrels. Tomme Arthur was there, too. Great beer.

hRSxNVR.jpg

Tilquin even uses blends from Cantillon and 3F. Great stuff.

PG2G

I'm gonna need to get up to Bottleworks one of these days. Must be amazing with the amount of collaborations that they do.

Picked these two up today, anyone have any experience?

hcZ1yfcl.jpg

I'm gonna need to get up to Bottleworks one of these days. Must be amazing with the amount of collaborations that they do.

[IMGhttp://i.imgur.com/hcZ1yfcl.jpg[/IMG]
Loved Odyssey. Sucked when Allagash pulled out of OH. Basically, if it's Allagash, it will be solid.

PG2G

I'm in San Diego.

Head over to Lost Abbey and have a flight or two. You should be able to do lots of experimentation down there. Nevermind, got confused didn't realize you were after sours. Either way, Lost Abbey is one of the best in CA in that regard also. If you want to try the Flander's Red you can probably get their Red Poppy. Otherwise go for Bruery Sours (like Oude Tart) or Russian River if you can find them.

Loved Odyssey. Sucked when Allagash pulled out of OH. Basically, if it's Allagash, it will be solid.

Had Curiuex at a bar on Sunday and it wasn't nearly what I remembered. I am hoping the bar did something wrong. Tempted to go buy a bottle and see whether my palate has changed or if the bar screwed up. It was the beer that got me really into this, so was a bit disheartening to say the least.

Had Curiuex at a bar on Sunday and it wasn't nearly what I remembered. I am hoping the bar did something wrong. Tempted to go buy a bottle and see whether my palate has changed or if the bar screwed up. It was the beer that got me really into this, so was a bit disheartening to say the least.

I had Curieux on draft recently too, actually. I'd only tried it once years ago and I feel like I didn't like it as much this time around either but it was still pretty good. The bourbon's well-integrated and it hides the alcohol well. The thing is I don't like tripels nearly as much as I used to so I doubt I'd pay that much for a bottle, to be honest. Tiarna sounds damn good, though. I had a sample of Interlude recently and liked that a lot, too.

Cr0wn0

Arizona is getting Rodenbach now! Pretty damn excited to have access to Grand Cru when ever I want. Now if only Southern Tier would expand here!

Had a Hooker Chocolate Truffle Stout tonight. Meh. At least it made the wait for takeout go faster.

So had a Weyerbacher Quad and Southern Tier 2xOne at home to at least end the night on a good note.

Seems like I've tracked down some Cantillon. What's the bigger deal, Kriek or Gueuze?

I'm assuming it's their normal kriek/gueuze (not Lou Pepe), so like distantmantra wisely said, get both. If that's not an option then it depends on how much you like sour cherries. Honestly both will be pretty similar in quality to other legit options (3F, Tilquin, etc.) so if you have somewhat easier access to, say, Gueuze Tilquin but no good krieks then prioritize the Cantillon kriek.

If your source has Rose de Gambrinus as well, I'd prioritize that over their kriek.

aceface

Ommegang announced their third Game of Thrones beer, Fire and Blood red ale. It's brewed with chilies.

Game-Of-Thrones-Fire-and-Blood-Red-Ale-1.jpg

Goes on sale March 16th at the brewery and March 31st everywhere else. Not really a fan of the art on this one but Ommegang has never done anything with heat before so I'm interested to try it.

Prairie hit WA today. First shipment was the Mikkeler collab American Style IPA, Prairie Ale and Eliza5beth.

Only had Prairie Ale out of those but I enjoyed it a lot. I'd love to try Eliza5beth though. Hope you guys get Bomb soon!

Just picked up a bottle of Noble Amarillo Showers. I had Citra Showers but not Nelson Showers and I hear this isn't as good as the other two but I generally like amarillo hops so I'm looking forward to trying it.

PG2G

Whoop, I am excited for tomorrow's Feral One release at Firestone / Barrelworks

gTZfI04.jpg

And I am going to buy a bunch of Feral One bottles lol

mcfrank

hcZ1yfcl.jpg

I didn't see anyone post that they had the Tiarna in, where did you grab it? I was underwhelmed by the Midnight Brett, so hopefully it is a return to form.

t-ramp

That Tilquin was pretty great. At $10+, I probably won't be getting it again soon, but I enjoyed it.

Have any of you had this year's Old Guardian yet? It was too much for me last year, but then again it was probably the highest ABV beer I'd had up to that point. I might drink my 2014 bomber later today, and maybe grab another to stash away for a while it I like it enough.

Kalamazoo stout is delicious, sad I missed out on Expedition when I was in Michigan :(

I'm finishing up this bottle of Amarillo Showers. I'd read a lot of complaints about it online, saying it was a misstep for Noble and that it was nowhere near as good as Citra/Nelson Showers. I definitely preferred Citra Showers but this is delicious in its own right. I'd never had just something hopped with only amarillo before so it's interesting to taste it in isolation. The label talks about it tasting like orange marmalade, peach and cantaloupe and I normally don't pay too much attention to things like that but it really does taste a lot like cantaloupe to me. Alcohol's a bit high (almost 9%) but it's balanced well and I think the backlash I've seen is a little unfair just because citra and nelson hops are so much more desirable right now.

I hear Mosaic and Simcoe will be the next in the series so I'm sure those will be much more well-received. I've enjoyed every beer I've had from Noble so far (Pils, pale ale, IPA, Citra/Amarillo Showers) and I'm sure they'll only get better in the future.

PG2G

I gotta say, I have a new respect for Firestone after today. Their barrel aged beers and blends are amazing. They had a beer that was aged four tees in bourbon barrels and another called Hat Trick which was a blend of Parabola and SLOLambic.

So good

dekline

Ommegang announced their third Game of Thrones beer, Fire and Blood red ale. It's brewed with chilies.

Goes on sale March 16th at the brewery and March 31st everywhere else. Not really a fan of the art on this one but Ommegang has never done anything with heat before so I'm interested to try it.

I would love to try these but I've never been able to find any. Maybe I'll have better luck this time.

So Hunaphu Day was an absolute fucking disaster down in Tampa at Cigar City Brewing. A buddy of mine flew down there from Seattle and said it was the worst beer-related event he's ever been to.

So Hunaphu Day was an absolute fucking disaster down in Tampa at Cigar City Brewing. A buddy of mine flew down there from Seattle and said it was the worst beer-related event he's ever been to.

Yeah from what I read that's just insane. The whole "running out of Hunahpu for people who paid for tickets" thing aside, telling people not to show up early and then selling entire cases of double barrel hunahpu to the people who did? What the fuck?

Ughhh that Firestone event sounds amazing though!

terrible

Banned

The first two were ok. I didn't like them as much as most I guess. I'm not liking the sound of the 3rd one either.

fijim

Banned
Yeah from what I read that's just insane. The whole "running out of Hunahpu for people who paid for tickets" thing aside, telling people not to show up early and then selling entire cases of double barrel hunahpu to the people who did? What the fuck?

Ughhh that Firestone event sounds amazing though!

Yeah, the idea that you would even sell a case of a barrel aged Hunahpu to someone, let alone a case of Hunahpu is insane to me. Those days in craft beer are over. Even though Dark Lord Day has been a clusterfuck many times, they need to take a few lessons from Three Floyds and:

1. Limit all barrel aged beers to 1 per person max (it's actually even less at DLD since you need to win a scratch off)

2. Limit regular Hunahpu to 3 or 4 per person max, no extras or case sales.

3. Do not allow transfer or sale of tickets, ticket purchaser name should be printed on the ticket and require photo ID to enter with your ticket.

4. Expand space available for the festival to accommodate the crowd.

5. Consider splitting bottle sales into groups with different time slots to spread out the crowd.

What is even crazier is that CCB is going to offer refunds on those who purchased tickets. The thing is, this benefits the people who bought tickets only to resell them at a higher cost on craigslist, or the guys who made multiple copies of their ticket and sold duplicates. These jerks will be rewarded even more for their contribution in ruining the day.

Breweries need to realize that there isn't much good will left in the craft beer community, it is full of jerks who will lie, scam, and do anything they can to get the largest allotment possible, shut out as many others as they can, and then resell these bottles at high prices or drive the trade value up and demand rare out of market beers if you want them to give one up.

Beer has become a high demand collectible, which is really sad.

3. Do not allow transfer or sale of tickets, ticket purchaser name should be printed on the ticket and require photo ID to enter with your ticket.

CCB wanted to do this, but the reserve club members lost their shit and whined about it.

Breweries need to realize that there isn't much good will left in the craft beer community, it is full of jerks who will lie, scam, and do anything they can to get the largest allotment possible, shut out as many others as they can, and then resell these bottles at high prices or drive the trade value up and demand rare out of market beers if you want them to give one up.

Come out to the PNW. Aside from long lines at Hair of the Dog events, there is still a sense of community. People are civil and there is plenty of beer to go around. Hell, most big profile releases are totally calm and I've always been able to show up and get bottles in less than 10 minutes. Maybe we just don't care so much about the rares and trading. Probably for the best.

PG2G

I'm not a fan of when they do this. If they had a proper system for handling tickets itd be impossible for duplicates to get through.

fijim

Banned
I'm not a fan of when they do this. If they had a proper system for handling tickets itd be impossible for duplicates to get through.

Well you can prevent duplicates (it sounds like they could have at CCB but they didn't want to turn away people who unknowingly got tricked into buying a duplicate).

However, it does not stop people from buying up tickets and then reselling for $100 on craigslist or demanding rare beers in exchange for tickets. This happens with every big beer event that does not impose the ID requirement.

While there are legitimate reasons to resell or transfer a ticket, I think it is better to not allow it to prevent the scalping and the people who just send mules to get them beer.

Went on a little trip to Weyerbacher Brewing Co. in Easton PA with the wife this weekend. Man, do they make great stuff. It's kind of humorous how they seemingly can't make a beer lower than 8% by volume, but that's kind of what make them exciting.

Took a case of beer from where I work with there as well, and they let my wife and I make a mixed case of whatever we wanted. Heresy and Double Simcoe for free? OMNOMNOM.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Yeah, the idea that you would even sell a case of a barrel aged Hunahpu to someone, let alone a case of Hunahpu is insane to me. Those days in craft beer are over. Even though Dark Lord Day has been a clusterfuck many times, they need to take a few lessons from Three Floyds and:

1. Limit all barrel aged beers to 1 per person max (it's actually even less at DLD since you need to win a scratch off)

2. Limit regular Hunahpu to 3 or 4 per person max, no extras or case sales.

4. Expand space available for the festival to accommodate the crowd.

5. Consider splitting bottle sales into groups with different time slots to spread out the crowd.

What is even crazier is that CCB is going to offer refunds on those who purchased tickets. The thing is, this benefits the people who bought tickets only to resell them at a higher cost on craigslist, or the guys who made multiple copies of their ticket and sold duplicates. These jerks will be rewarded even more for their contribution in ruining the day.

What they actually did was cancel the entire event from now on. They're just going to sell it in distribution.

Top Bottom