• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Beer |OT|

Yeah, a little extreme in my view. Guess they got overwhelmed and just don't want to deal with this anymore.

There are some people wondering if the city of Tampa got involved and shut it down. There's some legislation going around down there trying to prevent breweries from serving their own products outside the three-tier distribution system. The way things went down on Saturday only adds fuel to that fire.

fijim

Banned
There are some people wondering if the city of Tampa got involved and shut it down. There's some legislation going around down there trying to prevent breweries from serving their own products outside the three-tier distribution system. The way things went down on Saturday only adds fuel to that fire.

Yeah, I mean they should be able to serve it on their own premises at least, but for a huge event like this that can be difficult.

What Three Floyds has done on Dark Lord Day is expand the space of the event to occupy neighboring empty lots and part of the street in from of their building, but only serve their beer from their own property. The extra space is used for the bands and guest drafts/bottle share area/porta potties. This way they do not violate the three tier rules but also have a larger event space.

t-ramp

RNQwKd5.jpg

Picked up some stuff last night. The 8-Bit is great (got a 4-pack of it, drank one), and I'm looking forward to trying the others.

Picked up some stuff last night. The 8-Bit is great (got a 4-pack of it, drank one), and I'm looking forward to trying the others.

St. Bernardus Abt 12 is godly. So, so awesome. But so expensive. Only something I get when I want to spoil myself.

the bernardus is so nice drink it at room temperature not cold

Hmmm. Tempted to try that next time I get one. The beer is normally fills me with a warming sensation. I wonder how pronounced that will be drinking it a bit warmer.
Only beers I have tried (and loved) drinking at a bit cooler than room temp are imperial stouts.

fijim

Banned
Damn. I've had a 750 in my fridge for over a week now. Was gonna crack it tonight...

Thats fine, its good to store it cold.

Just let it sit out for 30 minutes or so before cracking it, then drink it slowly and let it warm up as you enjoy it.

Thats fine, its good to store it cold.

Just let it sit out for 30 minutes or so before cracking it, then drink it slowly and let it warm up as you enjoy it.

Yeah, taking your time with finishing certain beers is recommended. The first few sips are ice cold, but as it goes on and gets a bit warmer it changes flavors.

Tawpgun

Bought Flying Dog Doggie Style Pale ale. it's alright.

Traded it to try my roommates Magic Hat Sping Ale "Pistil" Its very bland. Disappointing from Magic Hat

Just got a six of Southern Tier 2XONE. Don't know if I've had anything with Mosaic in it before. Damn, that hop has a lot going on. Flowery nose, resinous, tropical, a little bit peppery. I can see how it got its name.

I've got a light-bodied house pale that I rotate various hops through. I might have to give Mosaic a shot in there.

Warm weather is a-comin' (at least here) and there's nothing I find more refreshing than a nice, flavorful pilsner. I'm a long-time fan of Foothills Brewing's other beers, but just got around to trying their Torch Pilsner.

Foothills-Torch-Pilsner.jpg

The Saaz hops come through nicely. Overall a damn good beer. Anybody else have a go-to pilsner or similar beer to recommend?

Rei_Toei

Fclvat sbe Pnanqn, ru?
Warm weather is a-comin' (at least here) and there's nothing I find more refreshing than a nice, flavorful pilsner. I'm a long-time fan of Foothills Brewing's other beers, but just got around to trying their Torch Pilsner.

The Saaz hops come through nicely. Overall a damn good beer. Anybody else have a go-to pilsner or similar beer to recommend?

I really like La Trappe Puur. Fresh, organic, slightly more bitter then regular pilsners around here. Gulpener's Neubourg is close in style, but usually a bit mor expensive in these parts (NL). I also have a soft spot for the Turkish Efes. Really light, perfect summer beer. If nothing else is around, I'll usually go for Grolsch.

Hello gentlemen. I'm looking for a beer that tastes good. I just had some Blue Moon Belgium White which tasted bad, almost as bad as Corona. I'd like something that has a taste beyond alcohol. And I'd prefer something that isn't obscure, ie something I can find at Sams Club or whatever.

dekline

Hello gentlemen. I'm looking for a beer that tastes good. I just had some Blue Moon Belgium White which tasted bad, almost as bad as Corona. I'd like something that has a taste beyond alcohol. And I'd prefer something that isn't obscure, ie something I can find at Sams Club or whatever.

I haven't had a bad beer from Samuel Smith or Unibroue.

codhand

Welcome to the path of righteousness.

Tawpgun

Got a favorite type of beer? What are you willing to spend on beer? Where do you live?

Oarsman is delicious but a lot of people just don't like the style. Definitely worth a shot if it's out yet. Not sure if it's at Sams Club but Oddside's Citra Pale Ale is incredible. Even if you don't like IPAs it's not very bitter, just very juicy and tropical. Tastes more like fruit juice than beer at times.

PG2G

Are you saying blue moon had no taste or that the taste of alcohol was too strong?

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth

If you think that Blue Moon has too strong an alcohol taste, then beer is probably just not for you.

But if I am misreading, then pick up a 6 pack of Sam Adams Boston Lager or Sierra Nevada Pale Ale.

Give your location and we can go a little bit more local from there.

Wow, if you're in MI you shouldn't have too much trouble finding something. Try to find a store that allows you to do a mixed sixer and ask the employees for some recommendations. Or hit a bar that does sampler flights. Some bars are cool and will give you samples free. You're in a great state for beer choices.

t-ramp

Wow, if you're in MI you shouldn't have too much trouble finding something. Try to find a store that allows you to do a mixed sixer and ask the employees for some recommendations. Or hit a bar that does sampler flights. Some bars are cool and will give you samples free. You're in a great state for beer choices.
This is a good way to try a variety of beers. Finding an employee that's knowledgeable about beer is also awesome, but you might have to go to a liquor/beer store for that, rather than a grocery store or Sam's Club. If you really want to get into beer, it's worth looking around for someone who can give good suggestions and share their experiences.

I bought some Pilsner Urquell and Sam Adams Boston Lager, did I fuck up bros? Haven't tasted either yet, I'm cooking some food.
I haven't had that pilsner, but Boston Lager is a classic.

The Boston Lager isn't bad, but the Pilsner is bleh. Reminds me of the Corona/Blue Moon. I'm basically just trying stuff until I find something I really enjoy.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
We got a lot of good beer in Michigan. Once you get a better idea of what appeals to you, we should be able to rec some good shit.

Anybody had Stone's Go To IPA yet?

Yeah, got a sixer last week. It's okay, depends if you like session IPAs. It has a pretty large variety of hops but the citra and mosaic definitely shine a little bit. It does have that session IPA problem where it's a bit too bitter for the body but I mean that's kinda inevitable, given the low alcohol content. My main problem with it is the price. It's like 10 dollars a six pack, which for me is the same price as a 6 pack of pint cans of the superior Pizza Port Ponto Session IPA and I think Founders All Day is cheaper if you're in that distro.

fijim

Banned
The Boston Lager isn't bad, but the Pilsner is bleh. Reminds me of the Corona/Blue Moon. I'm basically just trying stuff until I find something I really enjoy.

Michigan?

Bell's Oberon
Youngs Double Chocolate Stout
Founders All Day IPA
Founders Dirty Bastard
Bell's Best Brown Ale
New Belgium Fat Tire
Allagash White
Sierra Nevada Pale Ale
Leffe Blond

Melbourne (Australia) beer lovers: Stone is doing a tap takeover on April 5th at The Alehouse Project. You'll want to be there. Greg Koch will be there in the evening.

Socreges

Banned
Just had the Houblon Chouffe.............. eh. Enjoyed it, but I can't say I enjoyed it as much as most apparently have. The carbonation was a bit much, too. I actually wonder if it had sat at room temperature for too long. Seemed a bit dull.

PG2G

i really need to get my hands on some duck duck gooze, have yet to try any american sours heard its one of the best

Good luck. Just try and hunt down some of the Russian River sours. Amazing sours and made more often than once every 3 years.

Had a growler of Simcoe Silly and a bottle of Duvil in Ms. Jones from Kuhnhenn last night. Buddy brought them back from a trip to Michigan. Good stuff.

Jarnet87

Had a bottle of Ommegang Adoration, it's a Dark Winter Ale. Pretty good beer. Has a bit of a tart or hoppy taste to it. Their Abbey Ale is still my favorite from the brewery.

Had a bottle of Ommegang Adoration, it's a Dark Winter Ale. Pretty good beer. Has a bit of a tart or hoppy taste to it. Their Abbey Ale is still my favorite from the brewery.

I really liked Adoration. Still need to have their Abbey Ale. Their spring saison is intriguing, but damn pricey, especially for the low ABV on it.

Top Bottom