• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Beer |OT|

codhand

It is insanely costly for what usually amounts to gas station beer in terms of availability in the home markets. In addition, there is something special about travelling somewhere in this country and finding a new brew or two to try. Getting that beer shipped back to your home kind of defeats the purpose of local breweries. While some big breweries are distributing nationwide, for most of the smaller shops I think it is a bit of an honor to try their offerings when you are in town. No need to spoil that with getting it shipped and having it regularly. Keep it special.

so sick of hearing this "prohibitive cost" excuse. it's not costly; i just shipped ten pounds of beer for 11 dollars, and it got across statelines in one day. i agree with your points more generally, like how trading doesnt replace traveling, but the idea it's "insanely costly" is incorrect,

also "gas station beers"? i just traded one 4pk of beer i waited in line 1.5 hours for, in 94 degree heat. it sold out in 4 hours, hardly qualifies as gas station beer.

i like distantmantra's reasoning more, he is content with the beers he has available, and occasionally has the wife grab some travel brews. speaking of which, gf in chicago right now scoping out the selection for me! ;)

just noticed that Pavement concert poster, thinking of going to see Guided By Voices tonight. hmmm

pxleyes

Banned
As far as 'gas station beer', that is really a local comparison. I know folks all over the country that want Cigar City Jai Alai, Maduro, or Invasion. I can get all 3 at just about every 7-11 in town.

so sick of hearing this "prohibitive cost" excuse. it's not costly; i just shipped ten pounds of beer for 11 dollars, and it got across statelines in one day. i agree with your points more generally, like how trading doesnt replace traveling, but the idea it's "insanely costly" is incorrect,
Would love a breakdown of how you manage that kind of cost.

i like distantmantra's reasoning more, he is content with the beers he has available, and occasionally has the wife grab some travel brews. speaking of which, gf in chicago right now scoping out the selection for me! ;)
That's how I roll. Picked up some special offerings while in ATL this past weekend I cant get in FL.

codhand

As far as 'gas station beer', that is really a local comparison. I know folks all over the country that want Cigar City Jai Alai, Maduro, or Invasion. I can get all 3 at just about every 7-11 in town.

Would love a breakdown of how you manage that kind of cost.

essentially these are the steps:

create a shipment
select "other packaging"
declare no value
ground shipping
guesstimate the weight (doesnt have to be accurate so long as it's reasonable)
print your own label
drop it off at a location that handles UPS, or a UPS location.

if you walk into a shipping store, with a box of beer and no label, they will gouge you bad. maybe $40 instead of $10.

pxleyes

Banned
Great instructions. Thanks!

so people shouldn't get to try certain beers unless they want to fly across the country, because that way it's "special"?

uh, ok.
Enjoy and support what you have locally. What's not to understand? I don't expect everyone to do that though, but that's just my feeling on it.

fijim

Banned
i think it's ridiculous to call beer trading a "negative" thing.

It's a negative when you have some guy buying up 5 cases of a limited beer only to ship it across the country in exchange for 5 cases of out of market limited beer. Meanwhile locals are shut out and the person who bought cases will go on and on about how they "share all this beer" and how they "help the beer community" when all they really do is help and share with their buddies.

It's a negative when you have some guy buying up 5 cases of a limited beer only to ship it across the country in exchange for 5 cases of out of market limited beer. Meanwhile locals are shut out and the person who bought cases will go on and on about how they "share all this beer" and how they "help the beer community" when all they really do is help and share with their buddies.
now that i can see. he didn't mention these kind of traders, or even worse, resellers.

i agree that your scenario is shitty. there's obviously different kinds of beer "trading". i've never stood in line to buy a case of anything, so i'm coming at it from a different perspective.

fijim

Banned
now that i can see. he didn't mention these kind of traders, or even worse, resellers.

i agree that your scenario is shitty. there's obviously different kinds of beer "trading". i've never stood in line to buy a case of anything, so i'm coming at it from a different perspective.

Yeah I am hoping that scenario is the exception.

I know guys who buy up all the limited release stuff they can. Some of them have even texted me asking if someone else is working the counter now so they can go back for more. They end up shipping 95% of it out of state to fulfill their trade partners, and they're always like "I'm spreading the love!" I guess, but you're also making it hard for locals to get their local beer, and your trade partners are doing the same with their locals. Ugh. Unless you live in the middle of no where, you have access to good beer, and probably good local beer. Be happy with what you have and if you happen to be traveling, try out what they've got.

Speaking of tickers, there is one guy here in Seattle who is literally at every bar and every brewery whenever something new shows up. The dude lives up North of Seattle but drives down, goes everywhere and just drinks whatever is the new hotness. I have no idea how he makes it home safely. I've been to bottle shares where he shows up late and gets physically upset and all huffy if you drink something before he gets there.

Scary. It's just beer.

codhand

Speaking of tickers

3022992934_52c53c8103.jpg

fijim

Banned
I know guys who buy up all the limited release stuff they can. Some of them have even texted me asking if someone else is working the counter now so they can go back for more. They end up shipping 95% of it out of state to fulfill their trade partners, and they're always like "I'm spreading the love!" I guess, but you're also making it hard for locals to get their local beer, and your trade partners are doing the same with their locals. Ugh. Unless you live in the middle of no where, you have access to good beer, and probably good local beer. Be happy with what you have and if you happen to be traveling, try out what they've got.

Speaking of tickers, there is one guy here in Seattle who is literally at every bar and every brewery whenever something new shows up. The dude lives up North of Seattle but drives down, goes everywhere and just drinks whatever is the new hotness. I have no idea how he makes it home safely. I've been to bottle shares where he shows up late and gets physically upset and all huffy if you drink something before he gets there.

Scary. It's just beer.

It's funny watching people in a local beer group I"m in post stuff like:

"Wow Pliny was such a let down"

"KBS wasn't that good"

"Why is Heady Topper so hyped?"

etc.. after working to get trades done and then realize there are local beers that are almost just as good as those beers. If not better. Yes those beers are great and highly rated, but is it worth giving up great beers in trade? Often it is not worth the hassle.

If you have a fair trading partner then sure, but if you are dealing with strangers looking to maximize trade value, out of market beers are often not worth the trouble. There is something local and fresh that you have not tried and you would be better off sticking to those.

Nothing wrong with trying new beers, especially out of market stuff when the chance arises but it is easy to build up hype for highly rated out of market beers and image they are some new level of beer nirvana you have not experienced. Then you find out... they really aren't. They are just well done beers in a particular style that have proven themselves over the years.

PG2G

I see some negative aspects to trading (especially when store owners are doing it) and people get a bunch of mules, but for the most part it isn't such a bad thing. There is nothing wrong with wanting to try some highly regarded beers that you don't get access to, and travel isn't always an option when they are limited releases.

A lot of the fun in trading to me is in the locals and extras. Its pretty cool to throw in some random local stuff that you think people might like and get stuff you never really considered in return.

I paid twice that at the UPS store, is printing your own label really that much cheaper?

I shipped four bottles and two cans for $35. I can't imagine how you got that all for $11.

Also, the grocery store down the street from my house got the Beer Camp 12-packs in. Picked one up.

that seems high. fedex was 20-something bucks to ship a 12-bomber box all the way across the country. not bad at all. some of those were 12oz bottles, though.

printing your own label just saves the hassle of having to explain what's in the box, etc.

mattp

neshaminy creek brewing out of croydan, pa has their first 3 canned beers out now
i picked up the lager and pilsner. they have their ipa in cans, too

really good if anyone is in the philly area or new jersey

10492516_10100472166162336_639978656097924645_n.jpg

Ron Mexico

neshaminy creek brewing out of croydan, pa has their first 3 canned beers out now
i picked up the lager and pilsner. they have their ipa in cans, too

really good if anyone is in the philly area or new jersey

10492516_10100472166162336_639978656097924645_n.jpg

Their County Line IPA was a pleasant surprise the last time I was there (their tasting room is VERY small, but still worth a visit). Beyond that, didn't care much for the Croydon Cream Ale or the Mudbank Stout. Still compared to Riverhorse or the other breweries in the immediate area (i.e. closer than Victory), they're ahead of the curve.

Also, I'm going to be in Chicago this weekend, making a quick stop to Indianafor 3 Floyds then driving up to Minneapolis. Any recommendations for the area? I don't have a terribly tight itinerary and I always enjoy trying some new brews not available in my area.

Also it's been a long time since I posted in here, but Seth C's recommendation for Country Boy in Lexington, KY was absolutely incredible. Small little place with just incredible beer. Took a growler of Shotgun Wedding back with me. So good.

In ATL for work. Came across Monday Night Brewing Imperial Coffee IPA. Never had anything that tasted like this before.

A coffee IPA? That sounds interesting. Coffee stouts are amazing, but never thought of a coffee IPA.

As for me, enjoying a Victory Twelve tonight. Weyerbacher Quad isn't available around here for my cheap Quad needs, so Victory it is. I can't spend for St. Bernardus or Three Philosopher's right now, so Victory shall do.

So I went through all the cans and bottles in the Beer Camp box. Most were bottled in early June. Some of the strong dark beers in mid to late May for bottle conditioning. The FFF pale, however, was bottled on May 15th. WTF.

t-ramp

In ATL for work. Came across Monday Night Brewing Imperial Coffee IPA. Never had anything that tasted like this before.
A coffee IPA? That sounds interesting. Coffee stouts are amazing, but never thought of a coffee IPA.

As for me, enjoying a Victory Twelve tonight. Weyerbacher Quad isn't available around here for my cheap Quad needs, so Victory it is. I can't spend for St. Bernardus or Three Philosopher's right now, so Victory shall do.
Anyone here had Stone's Dayman? It's the only coffee IPA that I know of, but I've never had it. It does sound like an interesting style.

Haven't seen the Beer Camp box near me yet. Bummer to hear about the bottling dates; I remember they gave some reason in one of the threads on BA but I can't seem to remember. Either way, that's pretty shitty.

Picked up an El Segundo Hop Tanker today. Hadn't heard of it before the guy at the liquor store recommended it but it's a double IPA with citra and nelson so I was pretty sold, plus it was fresh (bottled 6/30). Damn this is good. I guess I can't complain about a DIPA with citra and nelson but this is executed really well. Maybe not as well as, say, Alpine, but definitely on par with Noble.

Yeah that's just bizarre. I get the logistics of pulling something like this off are probably a nightmare but still, letting a FFF pale sit for like two months before most people get it is messed up. Not that I won't buy the 12 pack when I see it near me, of course, but if they knew they'd have these kinds of delays maybe hoppy pales weren't the way to go?

PG2G

Picked up an El Segundo Hop Tanker today. Hadn't heard of it before the guy at the liquor store recommended it but it's a double IPA with citra and nelson so I was pretty sold, plus it was fresh (bottled 6/30). Damn this is good. I guess I can't complain about a DIPA with citra and nelson but this is executed really well. Maybe not as well as, say, Alpine, but definitely on par with Noble.

I love about 3 minutes from the brewery. They make pretty solid IPAs, gotta try some of their other stuff

Datwheezy

Unconfirmed Member

Anyone here had Stone's Dayman? It's the only coffee IPA that I know of, but I've never had it. It does sound like an interesting style.

The Monday Night Brewing one was sticky resin and citrus on the front end, and then the taste of chewing roasted coffee beans filled your mouth on the finish. The finish reminded me of Founders Breakfast Stout quite a bit, if you isolated the coffee taste from the chocolate flavors.

We've had a couple local brewries here in Seattle do coffee IPAs over the last few years. They retain all color and flavor of an IPA but have a strong coffee bitterness.

I'm hearing Tuesday or so near me so it won't be too bad a wait. Still a drag since the rest of SoCal seems to have gotten shipments but that's the Valley for you I guess.

On the plus side, my Whole Foods happened to have some Alpine Pure Hoppiness bottles in. Been hoping to try it so I picked up a bottle. The guy said he got it in a couple weeks ago (which doesn't make much sense to me; either he left it out back or everyone near me hates Alpine) so I'm sure it would be even better fresher but damn if this isn't delicious. First time I've had a bottled Alpine IPA and not one brewed at Green Flash, too. Gotta make it down there sometime.

Edit: I get that they don't really need to because of demand but I do wish they'd bottle date. Hops taste more restrained than I expected so I feel like this isn't as fresh as it should be. No way of knowing I guess.

Jarnet87

Had a Southern Tier Goat Boy bomber tonight. They call it an Imperial Weizenbock. It was pretty dam good. It's got that nice malt and alcohol taste similar to a double bock, and had some nice spice to it.

HiResDes

I'm a Three Floyds stan but I really enjoy Alpha King it's quite refreshing and still leaves a nice little after taste on my palette. Not very potent or anything though

bowery

drinking a one week old jai alai, so fresh it straight up tastes like orange juice. felt the same way with the maine lunch i had last week that was just a few days old.

Socreges

Banned
Saw the Beer Camp box in Portland. Was it a mistake not to grab one? Are the beers rare or just hard to grab in certain states?

It had 3 Floyds Pale Ale, but I'm assuming that wasn't Zombie Dust...

Also tasted some sours at Cascade. Great stuff, especially the Apricot and Noir but I'm content sampling and not paying those ridiculous prices.

Pre

I don't know how widely available Diamond Bear is, but as an Arkansas resident, it's local for me. It's brewed in Little Rock. I've never tried anything they brew that I've disliked. This includes the IPA, and I'm not normally an IPA drinker. The Irish Red and Paradise Porter are particular favorites.

Saw the Beer Camp box in Portland. Was it a mistake not to grab one? Are the beers rare or just hard to grab in certain states?

It had 3 Floyds Pale Ale, but I'm assuming that wasn't Zombie Dust...

Also tasted some sours at Cascade. Great stuff, especially the Apricot and Noir but I'm content sampling and not paying those ridiculous prices.
All of the beers in there are one-offs just for that. You won't find them otherwise.
Have any of you guys had spotted cow?
Yeah. It's good. Worth trying. People in my neck of the woods flip out over it more than warranted, I think. But then, I also think Zombie Dust is overrated.

HiResDes

Last night I had Alpha King twice on draft brehs...I still fuck with it. It reminds me of Two-Hearted Ale a lot actually, but with a bit more malt and fruitiness.

Blanche De Chambly was also very tart and crisp on draft, lovely drink and a nice switchup

Top Bottom