• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Beer |OT|

I hate when breweries won't bottle or can their best beers. We have this brewery called Madtree here in Cincy that makes my absolute favorite stout called Thundersnow, but it's seasonal and they only serve it on draft at the brewery....WTF

It's a lot of work and money to bottle seasonal beer, couple that with increasing foot traffic into the brewery and keeping a beer only on tap is a win for them. You have three choices: buy growlers at the brewery, buy it by the keg and serve it in your own kegerator, or get the recipe (99% of breweries will give you a complete recipe) and brew it yourself year round.

Seriously? Are IPAs just hops and water out in the PNW?

Regional IPAs are a great thing. In my Rocky Mountain region, IPAs tend more toward a malty almost sweeter taste (Odell, New Belgium Ranger, Deviant Dale). They still punch you in the face with hops. Back home in Oregon (and more so in California), the trend is dry, dry beer that is hop bursted (most IBUs being derived in the last bit of the boil/post boil). It's definitely a great approach to IPAs. In my recollection, Two Hearted is a pretty traditional (and extremely tasty) approach to an IPA. Bell strives for balance and drinkability (I can't session 7% beer) which could be the flavor profile of your region.

Regional IPAs are a great thing. In my Rocky Mountain region, IPAs tend more toward a malty almost sweeter taste (Odell, New Belgium Ranger, Deviant Dale). They still punch you in the face with hops. Back home in Oregon (and more so in California), the trend is dry, dry beer that is hop bursted (most IBUs being derived in the last bit of the boil/post boil). It's definitely a great approach to IPAs. In my recollection, Two Hearted is a pretty traditional (and extremely tasty) approach to an IPA. Bell strives for balance and drinkability (I can't session 7% beer) which could be the flavor profile of your region.
Yeah, I was just poking fun. I can't say I've had a ton of northwest IPAs, but it's fair to say that I do lean towards a bit more malt and body to balance the big hops.

Grabbed some Back East Palate Mallet. Good, but not great double IPA. It was only a bit better than their Misty Mountain. Will finish the four pack, but won't be getting it again.

Also got the Stone Stochasitcity Quad ale. Meh. A bit too sweet and not as balanced as other quads. Again, good, but not anything I will get again.

So apparently Russian River is demanding that stores that get Pliny not post about it on social media. I'm not sure what I think; the whole "mob stores the minute they post that they have it so it sells out in 10 minutes" thing is annoying but I feel like people dedicated enough will still know when the shipments are due to arrive.

More worryingly, I heard that they're stopping Blind Pig distribution which is a fucking shame since I prefer it to Pliny. Not that I've seen it in a store recently but still.

So apparently Russian River is demanding that stores that get Pliny not post about it on social media. I'm not sure what I think; the whole "mob stores the minute they post that they have it so it sells out in 10 minutes" thing is annoying but I feel like people dedicated enough will still know when the shipments are due to arrive.

More worryingly, I heard that they're stopping Blind Pig distribution which is a fucking shame since I prefer it to Pliny. Not that I've seen it in a store recently but still.

Actually that may end up having a worse outcome, as only people with inside sources will know when it is coming and will be able to get there without the general populace of the areas having a way to find out.

Socreges

Banned
Back in B.C. now. My beer haul from California and Oregon is absurd. I'll have to take a picture of it soon. Thanks to everyone for answering my questions and being such an awesome resource. Beyond my haul, I also went to a number of breweries that I might not have known about otherwise.

Bout to try Blind Pig for the first time. Woop

PG2G

Actually that may end up having a worse outcome, as only people with inside sources will know when it is coming and will be able to get there without the general populace of the areas having a way to find out.

My local store stopped posting ot a few months ago and it lasts a few days on the shelf now instead of hours. People that know the schedule dont really get the upper hand because it has never really been that consistent. If its coming I know what day its coming... just don't know if its coming that week or not.

That said, there are plenty of other beers to drink. The Pliny hype is for folks that must not have experimented at all

2HwOrjA.jpg

Beer and cheese night at our place.

Tunic

Is beer trading allowed? I am looking to get a 6 pack of Zombie Dust and maybe a few other midwestern beers that I cannot get here in Seattle.

Socreges

Banned
I'm married and have a child. Can't just leave whenever for beer stuff.
Pfft amateur

I do not have a child

The Brewer's Festival was outstanding. Cost-wise, it just makes sense - they have no interest in gouging people. Lots of variety as well, though there were only a couple sours and they were disappointing. Great atmosphere, lots of seating space, shade and sun. Few lineups. Right downtown. Etc etc.

Compare this to the one (ONE) in Victoria that's $40 to get in, $2 per token, and lineups EVERYWHERE. Bah.

Admittedly the beer fest was wasted on me as I'd spent the last 2 weeks drinking excellent beer from breweries all over California and Oregon without a day's rest.

Beer and I need a break. See other people/beverages for a bit.

The new Ale Apothecary beer is out, Be Still. Buddy in Bend picked me one up. Mixed fermentation ale brewed with Cascara & Cocoa Nibs aged in Rye Whiskey and Wine Barrels. All for the low low price of $35. AA is the one brewery I have no qualms with their pricing.

Beer Camp 24pks finally arrived at Costco here. Excited to give this a go!

They're priced well too, if you're up for two of each beer.

They're priced well too, if you're up for two of each beer.

Yeah it was $37 dollars at mine, couldn't resist picking one up this past weekend. I haven't had all of them yet, so far just:

Three Floyds - hops definitely faded a lot, tasted like old SNPA
Firestone Walker - really good, I might've liked it more than Pivo Pils
Bell's - pretty good
Cigar City - tasty, reminded me a lot of Glissade (RIP)
Russian River - really delicious, I love lighter belgian pales, sorta like Redemption
Oskar Blues - not huge on bocks but I liked it okay
Ninkasi - delicious

My opinions on the box so far aren't anything new; interesting concept, shame that the hoppy offerings aren't as fresh as they should be. That said, I do like that a lot of the styles are less popular/lighter, like maibocks, altbiers, bocks, light Belgian pale ales, etc. It's a good introduction to a lot of different styles and some that you can't find easily most places. Almost seems like some people were expecting a box where each brewery just threw in their most famous beer. I'm not sure I'd pay almost 30 dollars for just a 12-pack, though.

HiResDes

I just wanted to say that Founder's Centennial IPA is super under appreciated. I drank so much last night, going back between that and Lagunitas pale on draft

Yeah, so that Torpedo Pilsner needs to be an everywhere all the time type of beer.

I just wanted to say that Founder's Centennial IPA is super under appreciated. I drank so much last night, going back between that and Lagunitas pale on draft
I agree. Founder's big stuff gets so hyped up, but the Centennial IPA, All Day IPA, Dirty Bastard and Founder's Porter are all solid beers.

Link

The Autumn Wind
Elysian has a 4% sour with puréed peaches and dry-hopped Citra right now at their brewpub by my house. Yuuuummmmm.
While I was in Seattle, I tried a Passionfruit Sour by Breakside that was pretty damn tasty. I'm having my brother ship me a couple more bombers.

Jarnet87

Tried some Gnomegang for the first time tonight. That's a damn fine beer.

I'm a big Ommegang fan. Love their Abbey Ale and Three Philsophers. The Game of Thrones beers were nothing special.

Grabbed a third Beer Camp 12 pack as there were only a couple left and I may give one to a friend if can't find it locally. I've had the Maibock from Cigar City, the Stout from Ninkasi, and the APA from Three Floyds. The APA was solid, the Maibock not bad, and the stout was just an average coffee stout. Not so big on really heavy coffee tasting stouts.

also grabbed these:

beer_165188.jpg

fcb-wallace-weeheavy.jpg

Will be my first time trying a beer from these breweries. I've heard mixed things about Clown Shoes, not much about Fort Collins.

fcb-wallace-weeheavy.jpg

Will be my first time trying a beer from these breweries. I've heard mixed things about Clown Shoes, not much about Fort Collins.

I head down to Fort Collins quite a bit for beers and FCB is a good brewery in, arguably, the best beer town in America. I'm a big fan of their red and they make a good smoke beer from time to time. When I'm in FC I usually hit New Belgium, Funkwerks, Equinox, or Horse and Dragon (or all of them if I'm on an all day beer extravaganza).

Link

The Autumn Wind
I'm a big Ommegang fan. Love their Abbey Ale and Three Philsophers. The Game of Thrones beers were nothing special.
Agreed. Ommegang is one of my favorite breweries and Hennepin is one of my go-to beers, but their GoT beers have been some rare missteps.

Anyone else going to try for GABF tickets today? 10 minutes...

...And I'll be going to the Sat. noon session!

I'm skipping this year and instead well go to the variety of rare beer tappings around town. The AHA members session is a blast though. You're in for a treat. Make sure to go through the cheese and beer pairing line.

Got the last Beer Camp 12 pack at the local store, and they also got in Stone Collaboration Unapologetic IPA. I had no idea that one existed. But Stone making a limited IPA that doesn't have freaky flavors like coriander or elderberries in it? Sign me up!

But, as I wait for the Beer Camp pack to get cold, gonna enjoy a Palate Mallet. Definitely better this time than the first time. The first time I had it after a bottle of Seeking Alpha, and my palate was already destroyed at that point. This is much better when it is the first thing I have.

Got the last Beer Camp 12 pack at the local store, and they also got in Stone Collaboration Unapologetic IPA. I had no idea that one existed. But Stone making a limited IPA that doesn't have freaky flavors like coriander or elderberries in it? Sign me up!
Are you me? This is the exact story I was going to post.

I got the call from my contact at the beer store at around 1:00 this afternoon that they were getting it in. It's a little weird because their usual delivery day for this distributor is Friday. Whatever, I'm not complaining. I tell her, "Thanks, I'll be by after work." By the time I get there at like 5:00, there's only one pack left. Craziness.

I got the call from my contact at the beer store at around 1:00 this afternoon that they were getting it in. It's a little weird because their usual delivery day for this distributor is Friday. Whatever, I'm not complaining. I tell her, "Thanks, I'll be by after work." By the time I get there at like 5:00, there's only one pack left. Craziness.

I went to the store near work at 2:30 and they had a few packs there. But they were $27. I called the place near home and they had some left at $25. I decided that if there were packs left at the place near home when I got back at 5pm, I would get it.
So, I go in, and they have two packs left. I tell the clerk to hold one while I look around, and by the time I went up to pay, I got the last one. Felt good.

So did the GABF presale tickets sell out? I was right there seconds after they went on sale and the stupid Ticketmaster website went into "Searching for tickets..." mode for 20 minutes, returned nothing, and every time I tried to check after that it just returns nothing. It doesn't say anything about tickets being sold out, it still tries to search, and then finds nothing.

Is this just how Ticketmaster works? Shittily?

there's certainly enough around denver to keep you occupied but there's certainly classic stuff up at odells and new belgium. if it's not out of your way I'd recommend an afternoon up there.

I too would probably stick to Denver and check out all the breweries there (too many to list).

If you drive up to FC, definitely go to Funkwerks and New Belgium. I love eating at Choice City because they have one of the best tap lists I've ever seen and a Reuben made with corned bison.

So did the GABF presale tickets sell out? I was right there seconds after they went on sale and the stupid Ticketmaster website went into "Searching for tickets..." mode for 20 minutes, returned nothing, and every time I tried to check after that it just returns nothing. It doesn't say anything about tickets being sold out, it still tries to search, and then finds nothing.

Is this just how Ticketmaster works? Shittily?

Yeah Ticketmaster's really shitty. To be fair, pretty much any ticket selling site is going to have a lot of problems for events that aren't as big as GABF, even, so I wouldn't be surprised if it sold out in seconds. I can't confirm if they're sold out or not since it requires a code to even select tickets.

Yeah Ticketmaster's really shitty. To be fair, pretty much any ticket selling site is going to have a lot of problems for events that aren't as big as GABF, even, so I wouldn't be surprised if it sold out in seconds. I can't confirm if they're sold out or not since it requires a code to even select tickets.

I've always had good luck with EventBrite, which is what the smaller events I go to tend to use. This is my first time actually buying tickets from Ticketmaster for GABF and I didn't understand why I was required to pick like a seating arrangement for entry tickets to a convention that has no concept of assigned seating. And also why if they are sold out it still allows me to try to search for tickets.

Where exactly do you live where Beer Camp is this hard to get? It's saturated in the Seattle market. Crazy.

Drove up to Bellingham today to visit four breweries. Nice day.

Top Bottom