• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Beer |OT|

Where exactly do you live where Beer Camp is this hard to get? It's saturated in the Seattle market. Crazy.
Central Illinois. Beer Camp only just showed up this afternoon and the one store that got it had like a dozen cases. It's basically the same deal with anything else that's somewhat limited. There were four cases of KBS in the entire city, for instance.

On the topic of Beer Camp, Chico King is not at all what I expected. Got kind of a Scottish thing going on. Earthy and thick with a bit of a copper note. Much more of a sipper than I expected. Still pretty distinctly Floyds, though. I'm always a little surprised how easy it is to pick them out.

Jarnet87

Cigar City is suppose to be distributing their Bourbon BA Big Sound in Florida this week. Never had it. heard it's expensive and that it will be gone in an instant.

I live in Bellingham, which breweries did you go to? Did you swing by Elizabeth Station too?

Chuckanut, Aslan, Boundary Bay and Kulshan. Would've stopped at Wander but they didn't open until 3pm. I'd been to BB and Chuckanut before. Aslan's space is absolutely beautiful, by the way. Talked with the head brewer and general manager for a while.

Picked up some Chuckanut bottles and a 6-pack of Kulshan's Bastard Kat IPA since they don't make it down here.

Having my first bottle from Beer Camp tonight. Started with the Torpedo Pilsner. Blech. It has been a few years since I had a pilsner, and now I remember why.

Deciding if I should have another Beer Camp bottle after this or just finish off my Seeking Alpha.

Well, this one is getting better as it goes on. I will give it that. And my only exposure to pilsners are usually shitty ones. What are some good ones to broaden my horizons?

The ones that I like aren't available outside Oregon and Washington (Chuckanut, Heater Allen, Breakside, Crux, Upright), so I'm not really sure. Maybe Firestone's Pivo Pils?

DiscoJon

Banned
Chuckanut, Aslan, Boundary Bay and Kulshan. Would've stopped at Wander but they didn't open until 3pm. I'd been to BB and Chuckanut before. Aslan's space is absolutely beautiful, by the way. Talked with the head brewer and general manager for a while.

Picked up some Chuckanut bottles and a 6-pack of Kulshan's Bastard Kat IPA since they don't make it down here.

Nice. I'm loving Aslan's Ginger Rye. It's funny how Boundary Bay is quickly losing it's luster with all these good new places knocking it out of the park.

Well, this one is getting better as it goes on. I will give it that. And my only exposure to pilsners are usually shitty ones. What are some good ones to broaden my horizons?

Yeah pils and similar lagers don't really travel well. Your best bet is often a local brewery who specializes in lagers but those can be hard to find, depends on your location. As far as stuff in wide distro goes, Victory's Primo Pils, Lagunitas Pils, and Firestone for something hoppier. Avoid the imported stuff especially when it's in a green bottle, ugh.

I honestly didn't like them until I tried Moonlight's Reality Czech. The first couple sips and I didn't get it and thought it just kinda tasted like Bud but after a while I realized how perfect it was. It's all about crispness and balance and when done right it's just incredible.

Edit: if you can find NEBCO cans near you it seems they can a pilsner, Elm City Lager

PG2G

BTW guys, are all Upland sours as sour as the peach lambic? Thank god I took that thing to a bottle share, I don't know how I would have made it all the way through.

fijim

Banned
BTW guys, are all Upland sours as sour as the peach lambic? Thank god I took that thing to a bottle share, I don't know how I would have made it all the way through.

Yeah they are pretty much all face meltingly sour. At least the fruit sours. I have heard Kiwi is even more sour than most. But compared to say Cascade sours, Upland can be a bit harsh.

Seth C

Where exactly do you live where Beer Camp is this hard to get? It's saturated in the Seattle market. Crazy.

Drove up to Bellingham today to visit four breweries. Nice day.

I don't know where he is, but in Kentucky the Beer Camp packs were impossible to find. We have one of the largest beer and liquor stores in the entire country and they sold out in 1.5 hours. In fact, the entire city sold out in under 2 hours.

t-ramp

Picked up a 4-pack each of Surly's Hell and Bitter Brewer earlier. I missed out on the other couple beers they sent down here recently, so I'm looking forward to trying them. Hopefully I can get their more renowned stuff like Abrasive at some point in the near future as well.

All really.
Have you used Untappd? It's a good way to see what other people are trying and what they think of those beers.

KumaJG

Picked up a 4-pack each of Surly's Hell and Bitter Brewer earlier. I missed out on the other couple beers they sent down here recently, so I'm looking forward to trying them. Hopefully I can get their more renowned stuff like Abrasive at some point in the near future as well.

Have you used Untappd? It's a good way to see what other people are trying and what they think of those beers.

I'll check it out, thanks.

I scrounged up a second Beer Camp last night. Weird thing, though, the place I went happened to have two cases of Bourbon County just sitting out. I totally did a double take at it. Went ahead and picked up an extra four-pack to stash away.

I scrounged up a second Beer Camp last night. Weird thing, though, the place I went happened to have two cases of Bourbon County just sitting out. I totally did a double take at it. Went ahead and picked up an extra four-pack to stash away.

Smart man.

As for Beer Camp, I moved onto the Chico King from it. Definitely better than the pilsner. Nothing amazing, but solid.

And I started the night with Old Stock 2014 from North Coast. Damn that was good.

Jarnet87

Nice find on the Bourbon County. I was only able to get a bottle of the Barleywine, Stout, and Coffee Stout. Got them at World of Beer a couple months back. I bought 2 Beer Camp 12 packs for myself, and then a third for a buddy in Naples i'm going to visit if he can't find it up there.

Smart man

As for Beer Camp, I moved onto the Chico King from it. Definitely better than the pilsner. Nothing amazing, but solid.

And I started the night with Old Stock 2014 from North Coast. Damn that was good.

Chico King has been my favorite of the 4 I've tried. I had the Chico King from 3 Floyds, Cigar City Maibock, Russian River Belgian Blonde, Ninkasi Double latte. Rate um in that order as well.

10499242_541003422671440_1387332348_a.jpg

The hype is real. Damn is this smooth. Was not cheap but it's great and can say I have tried it. Got another bottle that I may break out for a special occasion or trade.

Rei_Toei

Fclvat sbe Pnanqn, ru?
There's a webshop here in NL that has no shipment costs if you order 12 bottles at once. Also, they offer 75cl bottles of Moinette and Saison Dupont for €4 a bottle, so I splurged a bit.

14797179986_6007f409bc_z.jpg

I've had the Farmers Reserve Citrus and loved it, definitely one of the better ones they've done recently. I didn't love the Blackberry and I'll admit their sours can lack ocmplexity but they're usually delicious. Valley of the Hearts Delight was just incredible, as was Farmers Reserve #3 (strawberry and nectarine). Not sure how I feel about that pumpkin sour but I wouldn't mind trying it.

PG2G

I don't get the love for Almanac. Nothing I have tried from them has been amazing.

I feel like quality has dropped now that they release beers more frequently. Did you have any of their early stuff like the numbered Farmer's Reserves or the first batch of Dogpatch? Valley of the Hearts delight was pretty good too.

Either way, here they are pretty much the only american wild ales available off the shelf outside of the occasional Bruery stuff.

mcfrank

The only of almanacs sours I have been disappointed with was soughdough. That was literally a drain pour. All of the Farmers reserve, valley of the hearts delight, the blackberry, and the pumpkin barleywine have all been fantastic IMO. Plus it is nice to have a sour in a .375 so that I don't have to commit to getting drunk to open something if my wife is not in the mood for beer.
Toronado Seattle opens tomorrow, and it's crazy close to my house. So excited.

qlSy9ob.jpg

Cool. I was disappointed with the SF location when I was there, but having one walking distance would be pretty nice.

Talking to guys who went to the VIP soft open last night and peeking through the windows, it is much cleaner than the SF location and has a full food menu. Run by the former GM of Brouwers and Bottleworks.

Coworker gave me a bottle of Aun Mas Cafe Jesus tonight. I gave him a bottle of BCBS earlier this year and he owed me. So he found this and got it for me. Quite excited, but will have it tomorrow.

PG2G

Coworker gave me a bottle of Aun Mas Cafe Jesus tonight. I gave him a bottle of BCBS earlier this year and he owed me. So he found this and got it for me. Quite excited, but will have it tomorrow.

Is that the base beer for Even More Jesus and Double Barrel Jesus? Or is it another variant of some other beer?

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
I feel like quality has dropped now that they release beers more frequently. Did you have any of their early stuff like the numbered Farmer's Reserves or the first batch of Dogpatch? Valley of the Hearts delight was pretty good too.

Either way, here they are pretty much the only american wild ales available off the shelf outside of the occasional Bruery stuff.

First time I had them was last years Sour Sunday fest during SF Beer Week at Jupiter. I have never really sought them out but every time I do they are more acetic than I like.

I have way more exposure to Rare Barrel, but I like his stuff far more.

Edit: All Toronado SF is good for is a reliable source of Blind Pig/Pliny and Death and Taxes/Reality Czech.

Falling Rock is still my all time favorite beer bar.

Is that the base beer for Even More Jesus and Double Barrel Jesus? Or is it another variant of some other beer?

I have no clue, because I have never found any of the Jesus beers around here. But it is an imperial stout made with coffee. And I do love me some coffee stouts.

As for tonight, enjoying a Rochefort 10. It is just a bit above room temp, and still fucking delicious.

fijim

Banned

I think Double Barrel Jesus is Even More Jesus aged in different barrels and then blended.

Aun Mas Cafe Jesus is a version with coffee brewed in Spain. There is also Evil Twin Aún Más A Jesús (no coffee) also brewed in spain. No idea if this is the same as Even More Jesus

I don't know if there is an actual base beer of "Even More Jesus" but I could be wrong.

Drpunch

Neo Member
I think Double Barrel Jesus is Even More Jesus aged in different barrels and then blended.

Aun Mas Cafe Jesus is a coffee variant brewed in Spain.

I don't know if there is an actual base beer of "Even More Jesus" but I could be wrong.

I'm pretty sure there is as I have seen it before, but it was pretty expensive, at least up here. I've only ever had the port version, which was pretty good.

Had some beers (Engine House 9/De Garde Vieux Monse saison and Boneyard RPM IPA) at Toronado Seattle this afternoon.

It's clean. They have a killer food menu.

AND THEY TAKE CREDIT CARDS OMGWTF

Really happy they're going to be one of my neighborhood go to bars.

PG2G

Had some beers (Engine House 9/De Garde Vieux Monse saison and Boneyard RPM IPA) at Toronado Seattle this afternoon.

It's clean. They have a killer food menu.

AND THEY TAKE CREDIT CARDS OMGWTF

Really happy they're going to be one of my neighborhood go to bars.

I can't even imagine a bar that doesn't take credit cards. Seems insane lol

Top Bottom