• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Beer |OT|

What's the furthest West you can score a Pumking? I love pumpkin beers and heard Pumking's excellent...

We get it in Seattle. Tastes like sugar. Ugh.

Elysian's Great Pumpkin and Almanac's Heriloom Pumpkin Barleywine are the best I've had. Well, Fremont did a bourbon barrel pumpkin Barleywine, but that was at the Pumpkin fest last year and doesn't seen distribution. Same with Allagash's Ghoulschip.

Ugh they take card and even tell you what beers they have on tap? Why couldn't San Francisco have this one?

[shrug]

This will be my third time there. They've been open four days now. :)

[shrug]

That taplist looks great too. I loved Anderson Valley's Gose (too bad I can't find cans of it anymore) and I'd kill to try those Boneyards. I really didn't like Freigest's Abraxxxas because I'm not huge on the smoky/sour combo but hopefully they'll bring in other Freigest beers like their sublime rhubarb gose.

The 10 Barrel Apricot Crush is a great Berlinerweisse, too. They have a Cucumber Crush that's even better.

Boneyard is everywhere up here, but you regularly have things down there that Id feel the same about.

sdconvoy

What's the furthest West you can score a Pumking? I love pumpkin beers and heard Pumking's excellent...

my man!

Pumking is legit- but as mentioned above- it's sugary. The nose is 100% Pumpkin pie however, and almost worth it just for that. VERY much a rich dessert beer however. I love it, but it's not everyone's cup-o-tea(beer)

t-ramp

Anyone had Founders Dissenter yet? From the little I've seen, it's had a positive response so far and I kind of want to get a bottle. Then again, I'm sure the price is a joke as with most larger format stuff and I'd be better off getting a six-pack of something similar...

Edit: Yeah, $12 MSRP. Come on, really?

Anyone had Founders Dissenter yet? From the little I've seen, it's had a positive response so far and I kind of want to get a bottle. Then again, I'm sure the price is a joke as with most larger format stuff and I'd be better off getting a six-pack of something similar...

Better than the $18 most of their other bombers go for, like Sweet Repute.

I almost grabbed Dissenter while I was out, but went for a bottle of Maine Lunch instead. Time to see what the hubbub is about.

t-ramp

I missed out on Toppling Goliath's stealth release of Assassin over the weekend, and was a little bit disappointed until I found out bottles were $30 each. Eh, I can live without I suppose.

Have there been any rumors about what Bourbon County is going to cost this year?

terrible

Banned
WHRdVUj.jpg

Holy hell this is a big beer. I just had a 1 and a half year old bottle and it was pretty delicious. Think regular Aventinus but multiply everything by 1.5 and you get this.

I'm glad I bought 12.

14633663818_c3752ea4b4_z.jpg

Can't say it's like anything I've ever had before, rather unique taste, but I think their regular weizener or the Aventinus is way better.

Their Nelson Sauvin disappointed me a bit. I'd rather just have their Hopfenweisse.

terrible

Banned
Yeah, that beer is a damn beast. Only had it a few times and loved it.

It took like 20 minutes to open up but once it did it was insane. I'm so glad my bottles are already aged a year and a half too. Aged Aventinus (3+ years) is one of the best beers I've ever had. I can't wait to try the eisbock at 3+ years.

Cr0wn0

Elysian's Great Pumpkin and Almanac's Heriloom Pumpkin Barleywine are the best I've had. Well, Fremont did a bourbon barrel pumpkin Barleywine, but that was at the Pumpkin fest last year and doesn't seen distribution. Same with Allagash's Ghoulschip.

[shrug]

Almanac's Heirloom is so good, but damn If given the chance I would buy cases of Pumking. I've only ever had Elysian once but it was great also.

Southern Tier just requested a license to distribute here about 3 weeks ago. Supposedly Total wine is doing a test for them and will have Pumking and Warlock available. I'm hoping its true.

You guys were right. Unapologetic is pretty great. It runs the whole spectrum of hops. Round and fruity on the front. Piney and resinous on the back. Got kind of a peppery Mosaic thing going on down the middle. Gradually boozy heat with a kind of honey note as it warms up. Real tasty. I'm a little sad it's a limited engagement.

And since I'm downing a bomber of nine percent, I figured I'd just make a thing of it and tuck into another Beer Camp. I'm six bottles in (Chico King, There and Back, Torpedo, Alt Route, Tater Ridge, and Electric Ray, just now) and surprise boss so far is Electric Ray, Ballast Point's IPL. Super crisp, rounds off clean. Doesn't drink at all like 8%. I've had a few so-called IPL's and none of them has been too impressive, but I really like this one.

You guys were right. Unapologetic is pretty great. It runs the whole spectrum of hops. Round and fruity on the front. Piney and resinous on the back. Got kind of a peppery Mosaic thing going on down the middle. Gradually boozy heat with a kind of honey note as it warms up. Real tasty. I'm a little sad it's a limited engagement.

And since I'm downing a bomber of nine percent, I figured I'd just make a thing of it and tuck into another Beer Camp. I'm six bottles in (Chico King, There and Back, Torpedo, Alt Route, Tater Ridge, and Electric Ray, just now) and surprise boss so far is Electric Ray, Ballast Point's IPL. Super crisp, rounds off clean. Doesn't drink at all like 8%. I've had a few so-called IPL's and none of them has been too impressive, but I really like this one.

Glad you liked Unapologetic IPA. It really needs to be around more. Same with RuinTen.

And yes, Electric Ray was pretty banging. I have had a lot today since I am on vacation. Started with Beer Camp Tater Ridge and then Beer Camp Myron's Walk. I quite enjoyed both, but they were nothing spectacular.
I then finally tried Maine Brewing's Lunch. Really damn good. Worth all the hype? No. But really damn good.
Finishing the night with Beer Camp There and Back. Meh. It is okay. Nothing spectacular. Still saving Double Latte for the last thing from Beer Camp that I try.

Schafly Pumpkin is pretty damn good too.
Definitely my go-to pumpkin. I stopped trying to brew pumpkin beers a few years ago. One too many stuck mashes. So I look forward to the fall when I can load up.

Homebrew-wise, I'm wrapping up the evening with an oyster stout my buddy sent me. Super minerally. Really reminds you of the ocean. Supposedly, he used a ton of oysters. Best part is the label he made up, though.

ProjectPick

Neo Member
my man!

Pumking is legit- but as mentioned above- it's sugary. The nose is 100% Pumpkin pie however, and almost worth it just for that. VERY much a rich dessert beer however. I love it, but it's not everyone's cup-o-tea(beer)

Whole Hog's Pumpkin is the same. Both are as close to pie as you can get in beer form.

Socreges

Banned

[shrug]

Any idea when this is out? Apparently there's a store near where I live that will probably carry it

And still enticed by the Pumking.... doubt I'll be able to time a trip to Seattle with its availability, unfortunately.

Datwheezy

Unconfirmed Member
If anyone has a hard time getting Pumking in their market, let me know and we can work out a trade for some local shelf stuff. Here in Buffalo we literally have cases of pumking stacked in the grocery stores well into sept/October (Southern Tier is only about 1.5 hours away). Warlock is usually well stocked until then as well.

HiResDes

Any idea when this is out? Apparently there's a store near where I live that will probably carry it

And still enticed by the Pumking.... doubt I'll be able to time a trip to Seattle with its availability, unfortunately.
Pumpking is everywhere we get it on tap in Cincy and in bottles at stores.

Local store just got in a wall of cases for Windmer Brothers Raspberry Imperial Stout, and Long Trail Centennial Red, Imperial Porter, and Coffee Stout. All marked down to $4 a bomber.

Why? Because all were bottled at the end of 2012. I grabbed one of the Windmer Brothers bottles, and almost got a Coffee Stout. Those seem that they would hold up after that long, but the others probably not. Hell, at $4 for a bomber it is cheap enough even if it tastes like ass now.

I guess their distributor just found a room full of these or something.

ST2K

Hey Beer-GAF, any recommendations for a first beer? Haven't touched any other alcohol before either, so I have no point of reference whatsoever.

Doomsayer

I don't know if I'll ever my hands on the younger or elder...I really want the younger so bad

Younger is never bottled, and only if you are extremely lucky can you get a growler of it.

Elder is relatively simple to get... if I'm not mistaken you are in the Michigan area right? PM me what you have access to. I'll see if I can get some Elders out your way.

PtE isn't hard to get if you put in some effort. PtY is a different ball game since it's once a year in February and draft only. I had it in Seattle back in 2012 alongside a keg of Elder. Good, but the hype is way too strong.

Daamn good haul! That Mexican Cake! And it's almost painful to see Westbrook Gose and know it's in the same city as me haha. I'm assuming all those Evil Twins were also brewed there?

Nice. Are pumpkin beers still around in early October?

Huh. They distribute to WA or were you in Oregon again? Either way awesome.

I bought 4 bottles at RR. Drinking that last one a week ago was bittersweet.

RR left WA a couple years ago.

Bottles from Oregon. I had heard that RR would pulling out of Oregon as well a year ago... It's happening. The last bottle shipment was this week. They'll get kegs sporadically from now on.

sefskillz

shitting in the alley outside your window
Hey Beer-GAF, any recommendations for a first beer? Haven't touched any other alcohol before either, so I have no point of reference whatsoever.

this is almost impossible :) what state or region do you live in? maybe we could pick an assortment of styles for you to try and you could figure out what you like

PG2G

Daamn good haul! That Mexican Cake! And it's almost painful to see Westbrook Gose and know it's in the same city as me haha. I'm assuming all those Evil Twins were also brewed there?

Ha ha, you need a car man. At the last 38 degrees bottle share (they do one a month) they had Mexican Cake and Goss Gone Wild. Think I like that one even more than normal Westbrook Gose. And yeah, seems like everything good by Evil Twin is from Westbrook lol

I've heard that westbrook gose is really good. If you can get it Anderson Valley gose is delicious.

Anderson didn't do too much for me, it was also my first gose so maybe I went in with the wrong expectations. They have a fruited one coming out so I'm excited to try that one.

t-ramp

this is almost impossible :) what state or region do you live in? maybe we could pick an assortment of styles for you to try and you could figure out what you like
There are quite a few styles that are beginner-friendly. The mix-and-match six-packs that some grocery and liquor stores would be a good way to try a few different styles without spending too much. Just hit some common styles like porter, stout, pale ale, amber ale, hefeweizen/other wheat ale, pilsner, etc.

Or you could just get a single larger bottle of something to start. Around here you can get Sam Adams Boston Lager (and seasonals), New Belgium Fat Tire, and an array of Weihenstephaner (German) stuff in the $3-4 range, among others.

Socreges

Banned
This is a good idea.

Alternatively, there are some good gateway beers like Kronenbourg Blanc that can ease someone in. I'd guess it's available everywhere in the US.

RR left WA a couple years ago.

Bottles from Oregon. I had heard that RR would pulling out of Oregon as well a year ago... It's happening. The last bottle shipment was this week. They'll get kegs sporadically from now on.
Quality control, I guess? They probably do well enough with tourists like me buying 12 bottles at a time

ST2K

So just sample quite a bit, eh? Alright, duly noted along with the names you all mentioned.

I'm in the US, for the record.

PG2G

I always feel like Belgian Wits are a good starting point. I got started with Allagash White, theb stumbled upon Allagash Curieux at a bar and my life changed lol

CrankyJay

Banned
Went to Resurgence Brewery in Buffalo last night and had a great time. I hope these guys succeed.

Really good Loganberry Wit and Summer Saison

Jarnet87

I bought a bottle last night at Total Wine, will try it soon. Live in South Florida. Going to Funky Buddha today for the first time. Going to the one in Oakland Park not Boca. Excited to see what they have on tap and possibly buy a bottle or two.

PG2G

Is there a worse brewery name than Belching Beaver?

I dunno, I think its kind of awesome. Especially with beers named Beaver's Mill and Rabid Beaver.

A bit immature, but I'm always down for sexual jokes. Assuming they actually had Queefs in mind when coming up with the name lol

Connecting flight in Charlotte delayed. Making the best of it with a local beer at the airport bar. Having an OMB copper. Not bad. Not great either, but it's getting the job done.

I've been pretty much sober for the past few weeks so now it's time to switch things up:

Buo_xBTIEAARxOh.jpg:large

Can you believe all of that pictured cost me below $20 including tax and deposit? I love my local beer warehouse.

Top Bottom