• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Beer |OT|

ink4n3

I didn't get drawn for the Upland Sour lottery and was out of town for the public sale that started yesterday. I stopped by the store on my way back into town a few minutes ago and they still had some left.

rcj2iDZ.jpg

I've still got a strawberry left from the last sour sale but I think I'll have to try one of these tonight.

PG2G

Birthday beers today at Reuben's Brews. They continue to make fantastic stuff.

And a special delivery direct from Bend:
fBhzXhD.jpg

Is there stuff easy to find in Portland? Or do I have to go to Bend? Planning to take a trip out there and debating whether we should try and cram Bend in.

Is there stuff easy to find in Portland? Or do I have to go to Bend? Planning to take a trip out there and debating whether we should try and cram Bend in.

AA stuff sells out super fast in Portland, but sits around for a while in Bend. Get ready to spend around $25 or $30+ for their bottles (Sahalie and LaTache are year round, everything else seasonal/one off). Be Still was $35.

There are a few stores in Bend that have their bottles (Crows Feet Commons, Broken Top Bottle Shop, The Brew Shop). Visits to the brewery are hard to arrange, it's not open to the public.

PG2G

AA stuff sells out super fast in Portland, but sits around for a while in Bend. Get ready to spend around $25 or $30+ for their bottles. Be Still was $35.

There are a few stores in Bend that have their bottles. Visits to the brewery are hard to arrange, it's not open to the public.

Ah okay, thanks for the heads up. Maybe I should look into setting up some IP trades for then I guess.

Cr0wn0

Any of you CA people still seeing W00tStout? I'm going Friday for a quick Disneyland trip. The places I could check ( total wine ) were out already. If I could get even one bottle It would be awesome. Hoping to grab a few belching beaver Peanut butter stout's also.

Any of you CA people still seeing W00tStout? I'm going Friday for a quick Disneyland trip. The places I could check ( total wine ) were out already. If I could get even one bottle It would be awesome. Hoping to grab a few belching beaver Peanut butter stout's also.

I can't help on anywhere closer to Disneyland but the closest liquor store to me still has it (I'm near Sherman Oaks). Even if it's sold out at total wine I assume both beers should still be around in smaller shops.

PG2G

Yeah I still see it in some smaller liquor stores. I don't know if they will still have it, but Mr K's in Placentia (which is like a block from the Bruery) is ny favorite liquor store in the area. You can probably call them, id say its worth a visit even if they are out.

Think its about a 15 minute drive away though

Cr0wn0

I can't help on anywhere closer to Disneyland but the closest liquor store to me still has it (I'm near Sherman Oaks). Even if it's sold out at total wine I assume both beers should still be around in smaller shops.

Thanks!

Yeah I still see it in some smaller liquor stores. I don't know if they will still have it, but Mr K's in Placentia (which is like a block from the Bruery) is ny favorite liquor store in the area. You can probably call them, id say its worth a visit even if they are out.

Think its about a 15 minute drive away though

Were driving in so distance isn't a big issue. Definitely going to stop in. Thank you!

Seth C

daaayum, that price! keep us posted.

Here's what I've done so far:

The fridge itself
9QV0aefl.jpg

Collar built from 1x10 and 1x12 to extend the top of the fridge and give me space to mount things and run the taps
S4i7eJnl.jpg

Collar resting where it will be installed
tl3CTAIl.jpg

With the lid, where the kegerator will be when it is finished
opVWmlEl.jpg

Now I'm sanding and applying a few coats of polyurethane to the wood. Wednesday I will get my temperature controller and will have that installed so that when I start brewing this weekend I can use the fridge for controlled fermentation. I'll keep you posted.

Now I'm sanding and applying a few coats of polyurethane to the wood. Wednesday I will get my temperature controller and will have that installed so that when I start brewing this weekend I can use the fridge for controller fermentation. I'll keep you posted.
Glad to hear it's going to be homebrew on tap.

ughhhh Shelton Brothers fest posted a partial lineup, makes me wish I could afford tickets:

Westvleteren XII
Brasserie Cantillon Lambic d'Haute Densité
Cantillon Gueuze (2005)
Cantillon Iris (2004)
3 Fonteinen Hommage
Drie Fonteinen 50th Anniversary Oude Geuze (1998)
Drie Fonteinen Oude Geuze (2001)
Brouwerij De Ranke Kriek
Brasserie de Blaugies/Hill Farmstead Brewery La Vermontoise

Forgive my stupidity, but how do growlers work? Went back into Liquor Barn tonight and they had growlers to buy, then a shitload of things on tap next to them. So I buy a growler, fill it with whatever they have, and then refill it later?
I have never done that and wonder how it works.

Forgive my stupidity, but how do growlers work? Went back into Liquor Barn tonight and they had growlers to buy, then a shitload of things on tap next to them. So I buy a growler, fill it with whatever they have, and then refill it later?

They'll fill the growler with whatever they've got on tap for fills. A standard screw top growler is typically good for a week or so in the fridge, but once you open it, you need to drink it pretty much that day.

I've got a Hydroflask insulated growler (the Crux branded one in the picture below) that will actually retain carbonation for a few days after opening, and will stay cold even without being in the fridge or on ice.

IVjRV.jpg

PG2G

How long do other types of growlers typically last before opening? Or is a week just a good guideline regardless of type?

Here's what I've done so far:

The fridge itself
9QV0aefl.jpg

Collar built from 1x10 and 1x12 to extend the top of the fridge and give me space to mount things and run the taps
S4i7eJnl.jpg

Collar resting where it will be installed
tl3CTAIl.jpg

With the lid, where the kegerator will be when it is finished
opVWmlEl.jpg

Now I'm sanding and applying a few coats of polyurethane to the wood. Wednesday I will get my temperature controller and will have that installed so that when I start brewing this weekend I can use the fridge for controlled fermentation. I'll keep you posted.

Bad ass man. Controlling fermentation and kegging beer are the two best (and tastiest) things you can do for your homebrewing.

Seth C

You'll like being here. Most of our small breweries and also our Liquor Barn stores fill growlers. Once you buy a couple of the glass jugs (breweries sell them also), then you just bring it in and get it filled, usually for cheap. If you tighten it and stick it in the fridge it should stay carbonated about a week or so, but once open you should drink it. It's just 4 pints so you should be able to handle that.

To give you an idea, my favorite of the local breweries in Lexington, Country Boy, runs weekly $10 growler fill specials.

Drpunch

Neo Member
had my first dieu du ciel tonight...peche mortal so good

Dieu Du Ciel is a great brewery; makes me proud to be Canadian. I didn't see very much of it while I was in the states. They have a lot a good beers; some of their recent collaborations are pretty delicious.

codhand

How long do other types of growlers typically last before opening? Or is a week just a good guideline regardless of type?

a regular growler can last a couple days maintaining its ideal carbonation, but tastes fine for a week or even two, depending on the beer.

counter-pressure filled flip-tops last a long time. of course i try to drink every growler asap, it isnt always possible, i have one now with a month on it, i will open it tonight and report the findings!

Regular screw tops? Drink within 24 hours of opening.

Flip tops and other rubber seal growlers? I've had carbonation two days after opening.

Oh? Before opening? I've had pressure filled growlers last for a month before opening. But that's pressure filled, different than poured from a regular tap. I'd say a week or so.

codhand

yep, my growler (flip-top, pressure) popped great just now, tastes perfect, had this beer several times wouldnt know it was 3-4 weeks in a growler, pretty amazing.

PG2G

So what are you trying to stash away? What's the context here?

More just curiosity than anything. Was supposed to pick someone up a growled of Bruery Sour in the Rye with Coconut and Pineapple but they wanted me to hold off because they were out of town all week.

Was just curious if the shelf life is that short because I felt like I had seen people sitting on growlers before.

More just curiosity than anything. Was supposed to pick someone up a growled of Bruery Sour in the Rye with Coconut and Pineapple but they wanted me to hold off because they were out of town all week.

Was just curious if the shelf life is that short because I felt like I had seen people sitting on growlers before.

You'd be fine filling it and then throwing it in the fridge for a week or so.

Having a Three Floyd's Alpha King on tap. Heard so much about it, and it is damn good. Earth shattering? No. But damn good.

I am excited to move to KY next month and discover tons of new stuff.

Seth C

Having a Three Floyd's Alpha King on tap. Heard so much about it, and it is damn good. Earth shattering? No. But damn good.

I am excited to move to KY next month and discover tons of new stuff.

Not sure where you're coming from but we do get a good mix of west coast, east coast, and northern breweries, specifically Michigan stuff that doesn't distribute terribly far. So you'll get Three Floyd's, Bells, Founders, and Jolly Pumpkin. But also try to make a road trip over to Lexington sometime if you can. I'll be happy to show you around. Right now we have Lexington Brewing (meh), Country Boy, West Sixth, and Blue Stallion. Soon we are adding Chase and Ephemeral.

Not sure where you're coming from but we do get a good mix of west coast, east coast, and northern breweries, specifically Michigan stuff that doesn't distribute terribly far. So you'll get Three Floyd's, Bells, Founders, and Jolly Pumpkin. But also try to make a road trip over to Lexington sometime if you can. I'll be happy to show you around. Right now we have Lexington Brewing (meh), Country Boy, West Sixth, and Blue Stallion. Soon we are adding Chase and Ephemeral.
My wife and I are in town until tomorrow. We are moving to KY in September. We are moving from CT. That is where I first got into beer big time, for better and worse. I am excited to try new stuff. Looking at prices here, some stuff is cheaper, some is the same, some is quite a bit more expensive. I have also noticed some breweries I love, like Weyerbacher, not available down here.

But half the fun is discovering new stuff and growing to love it.

Seth C

My wife and I are in town until tomorrow. We are moving to KY in September. We are moving from CT. That is where I first got into beer big time, for better and worse. I am excited to try new stuff. Looking at prices here, some stuff is cheaper, some is the same, some is quite a bit more expensive. I have also noticed some breweries I love, like Weyerbacher, not available down here.

But half the fun is discovering new stuff and growing to love it.

I did a quick comparison and looked over the lists, based on breweries I've sampled extensively. Here are some of the highlights that you will be losing access to:

Allagash
Ballast Point
Clown Shoes
Maine Brewing
New England
Relic
Weyerbacher

And here are some breweries I'd recommend that you'll now have access to:

Against the Grain
Anchorage
Anderson Valley
Arcadia
Avery
Bells
Country Boy
Dark Horse
Deschutes
Great Lakes
Jolly Pumpkin
Left Hand
New Holland
Prairie
Schlafly
Three Floyd's
Uinta
West Sixth

codhand

I did a quick comparison and looked over the lists, based on breweries I've sampled extensively. Here are some of the highlights that you will be losing access to:

Allagash
Ballast Point
Clown Shoes
Maine Brewing
New England
Relic
Weyerbacher

And here are some breweries I'd recommend that you'll now have access to:

Against the Grain
Anchorage
Anderson Valley
Arcadia
Avery
Bells
Country Boy
Dark Horse
Deschutes
Great Lakes
Jolly Pumpkin
Left Hand
New Holland
Prairie
Schlafly
Three Floyd's
Uinta
West Sixth

You forgot Yuengling bro!!!! ;)

Seth C

You forgot Yuengling bro!!!! ;)

First, Yuengling isn't that good. It's fine if you'd be choosing PBR or Bud Light instead, but in a world where a bottle of Sam Adam's is just as cheap, well, I'm not concerned. Second, despite all common sense suggesting otherwise, Yuengling doesn't distribute to Kentucky.

HiResDes

First, Yuengling isn't that good. It's fine if you'd be choosing PBR or Bud Light instead, but in a world where a bottle of Sam Adam's is just as cheap, well, I'm not concerned. Second, despite all common sense suggesting otherwise, Yuengling doesn't distribute to Kentucky.
I'm pretty sure he was being facetious anyway, I mean this is codhand we're talking about

Seth C

I'm pretty sure he was being facetious anyway, I mean this is codhand we're talking about

Well to be fair, I didn't think he was serious about recommending Yuengling to anyone (I just wanted to use it as an opportunity to speak ill of it), but in all seriousness it just isn't available in Kentucky anyway. Couldn't get it if I wanted to.

Though, their Oktoberfest was...okay.

Interested to see what you think of the New Belgium/3F collab. It's a style you don't see much and just kind of an odd mix of flavors (thin and low-alcohol but very smoky, slightly sour). I'm not huge on smoked beers but I mostly enjoyed it.

Picked up a Modern Times Phalanx yesterday at Whole Foods. Excited to try it; I don't think I've ever had Summer hops. The weird part was seeing a couple month-old bottles of Pliny just sitting on the shelf, I'm not sure I've seen that happen in the LA area recently.

Top Bottom