• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Beer |OT|

fijim

Banned
What's the best variant of BCBS if I know someone willing to trade?

From last year? Or of all time?

They are all good but in terms of rarity/trade value the ranking is something like:

Rare (2010) > Vanilla (2010) > Proprietors (2013) = Bramble Rye (2011) > Cherry Rye (2012) > Backyard Rye (2013) > Coffee (2010-2013) > Barleywine (2013) > Regular

Rare and Vanilla are past their prime and not worth what it takes in trade value. Prop is the coconut version and is awesome. All the fruit variants (Backyard, Bramble, Cherry Rye) are quite good. Backyard should be the easiest to get and I am guessing would be by far the best deal vs trading more for the older vintages.

Coffee is simply amazing, it might be my favorite variant.

Barleywine is also very good, but it is not really BCBS. It is a barleywine aged in barrels used previously for BCBS.

bowery

Cigar city cucumber saison is great, don't know why it has such average reviews on beeradvocate probably a buncha cucumber haters

HiResDes

Thanks for the prompt and very informative responses. They just have the 2013 variants and are asking for some very limited local stuff. I might pass.

Thanks for the prompt and very informative responses. They just have the 2013 variants and are asking for some very limited local stuff. I might pass.

Hm yeah especially since this year's release is only a few months away there's probably more worthwhile stuff to trade for, unless you really love the idea of the berries in Backyard.

PG2G

Anyone have much experience with Midnight Sun? Seems like so much of their stuff is highly regarded (at least stouts and barleywine) but I never hear anyone talk about them.

Picked up a few Moscow, Berserker, and Bar Fly recently, haven't had the chance to try them yet. Was pretty happy with Arctic Devil (a Barleywine) and their two pumpkin beers.

Ughhhhh I'd poured most of a bomber of Kern River Just Outstanding IPA into a pint glass and then stupidly knocked the bottle over so I lost around a 1/4 of it. Fuck. Tempted to lick the kitchen floor now. Anybody have painful beer wasting stories?

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
Ughhhhh I'd poured most of a bomber of Kern River Just Outstanding IPA into a pint glass and then stupidly knocked the bottle over so I lost around a 1/4 of it. Fuck. Tempted to lick the kitchen floor now. Anybody have painful beer wasting stories?

My friends and I picked up so much beer for an extended hang-out 3 day weekend that Total Wine gave us 3 large cardboard boxes to put everything into. We got 2 of the 3 boxes into the house, but one of them malfunctioned and the bottom fell out as we got to the kitchen. We lost half a dozen sour beers of various makes, a St. Bernardus 8 and some cheaper lagers.

Kinda glad we did not spring for the westy that day.

I dropped a 120 Minute IPA bottle once. It was probably for the best.

Had a wonderful bottle of Rochefort 10 tonight after a long day of work. It was as glorious as always.

And to those on here that had suggested having that at a warmer temp or just slightly chilled, good call. It is a very different beast when barely cold.

Jarnet87

I bought a bottle of Pumking and Warlock Friday. I don't have much space in my Fridge right now for bombers but w/e, I'll make them fit.

Leaning towards going to the Funky Buddha Blueberry Cobbler bottle release. Their year round offerings are good quality but nothing out of this world. The specialty releases I tried were fantastic so I gotta check this one out.

pablito

Went here yesterday

DFQLsDD.png

Tried their DIPA and "Mosaic" Pale Ale. Both good, but the Mosaic was flippin fantastic. Considering a growler of it next time I go there.

Var

Had some Cherry Funk from Prairie Artisan Ales Friday. It was much better than I was expecting. Definitely will be getting some more as soon as I can.

Went to a bar today that had stuff still on tap from their anniversary party next week so I got to try some great stuff:

Firestone Walker Lil Opal - really tasty, not sure I'd pay as much for a small bottle of it as they were asking but it was a good sour saison
Firestone Walker Parabola- never tried it before but this was amazing, I'll definitely track down a bottle next year
Firestone Walker Helldorado- fuck I hope they bottle this, how does Firestone have so many different but great barrel-aged barleywines?
New Belgium Love Oscar - like a less sweet La Folie which is definitely a good thing

Aside from samples of those, I had a Beachwood Hop Ramen IPA which was delicious as Beachwood always is and also a Faction pale ale. I've been really impressed with what I've had from Faction so far, I'll definitely have to check it out next time I'm in NorCal. The view of the SF skyline there is amazing too from what I hear.

Seth C

Yesterday was brew day! Lots of beer was consumed, and in the end I have about 5 gallons of what will hopefully be a delicious IPA now sitting in fermentation.

Setting up for the sparge.
MMVjrCBl.jpg

Near the end of the boil.
1zReEUMl.jpg

Close-up
RN1Sv70l.jpg

Ready for fermentation, just before pitching the yeast.
IbmjSxll.jpg

Yesterday was brew day! Lots of beer was consumed, and in the end I have about 5 gallons of what will hopefully be a delicious IPA now sitting in fermentation.
You know, I've heard that you can make beer without also simultaneously drinking beer, but I've personally never tried. I don't think I'd want to risk it.

Seth C

You know, I've heard that you can make beer without also simultaneously drinking beer, but I've personally never tried. I don't think I'd want to risk it.

All evidence points to the contrary, in my excperience. I've never known a brewer who made it threw a brew day without having a few beers. Gotta sample the product, right? Anyway, we started with a couple of these...

fnuBA4ml.jpg

Then shared this bottle...

EcBPRcJl.jpg

And also enjoyed this one. We definitely enjoyed this one a lot.

AfNFjM0l.jpg

HiResDes

If you don't like sweet beers stay away from Warlock. The flavoring is similar to Pumpking except you can really taste the roasted malts and molasses imparts a much heavier mouth feel, perfectly appropriate for a Stout. A hint of bitterness is only found in the aftertaste along with a very slight detection of alcohol. Warlock is almost too easy to drink, but it's such a rich desert beer that I almost wish the alcohol was less concealed and that it was more boozy. It seems like it would age very well in a good oak cask.

fijim

Banned
If you don't like sweet beers stay away from Warlock. The flavoring is similar to Pumpking except you can really taste the roasted malts and molasses imparts a much heavier mouth feel, perfectly appropriate for a Stout. A hint of bitterness is only found in the aftertaste along with a very slight detection of alcohol. Warlock is almost too easy to drink, but it's such a rich desert beer that I almost wish the alcohol was less concealed and that it was more boozy. It seems like it would age very well in a good oak cask.

I think most Southern Tier beers are overly sweet. Pumpking, Warlock, Creme Brulee, Choklat, etc... They over do it a bit on the flavors instead of using a more subtle approach. I suppose it isn't bad to have at least one brewery out there doing these type of super sweet/flavor bombs. But I can usually only drink about 4-6 ounces.

I think most Southern Tier beers are overly sweet. Pumpking, Warlock, Creme Brulee, Choklat, etc... They over do it a bit on the flavors instead of using a more subtle approach. I suppose it isn't bad to have at least one brewery out there doing these type of super sweet/flavor bombs. But I can usually only drink about 4-6 ounces.

They're rediculously sweet. Way too sweet for me and more of a novelty than anything else.

Since I will be losing Weyerbacher when I move to KY in a few weeks, I decided to try their imperial Pumpkin tonight. Damn. Much better than anticipated. Reminds me of Sam Adams Fat Jack. More subtle and spicy than it is sweet.

Seth C

So, are there any good beer rests in KY this fall or near Bowling Green? I am moving from CT the day before Brass City Brewfest in CT and it hurts.

You know no one lives in Bowling Green, right? Lexington. Louisville, and Nashville all have beer fests. Louisville has one coming up called Brew at the Zoo (Aug 23) and Lexington Fest of Ales is August 29. You'd also enjoy Cincinnati's Oktoberfest, given it is the largest in the entire country, and their Bock Fest is pretty damned amazing as well.

You know no one lives in Bowling Green, right? Lexington. Louisville, and Nashville all have beer fests. Louisville has one coming up called Brew at the Zoo (Aug 23) and Lexington Fest of Ales is August 29. You'd also enjoy Cincinnati's Oktoberfest, given it is the largest in the entire country, and their Bock Fest is pretty damned amazing as well.

I will know no one in Bowling Green. We are moving on the 5th of September or so, so anything after that that is closeby would be cool.

Seth C

I will know no one in Bowling Green. We are moving on the 5th of September or so, so anything after that that is closeby would be cool.

Hmmm. Oktoberfest in Cincinnati is Sep 19-21, but that's a bit of a haul for you. Nashville Beerfest is also Sep 20, but I've never been so I can't say much for it.

Hmmm. Oktoberfest in Cincinnati is Sep 19-21, but that's a bit of a haul for you. Nashville Beerfest is also Sep 20, but I've never been so I can't say much for it.

Nashville is only about 90 minutes, so that is not a bad haul. Might try that. Or might wait until spring and get my footing in state first.

I appreciate the information though. Thank you.

Seth C

Nashville is only about 90 minutes, so that is not a bad haul. Might try that. Or might wait until spring and get my footing in state first.

Not a problem. Louisville is about 2 hours away (I'll be house sitting there until September 11). If you decide you want a good beer after arrival I'd be happy to take you to Nach Bar and Sergio's. Trust me, you'll enjoy both. Otherwise Lexington is about 2.5 hours and I'm always willing to make myself available for a brewery and beer bar tour.

Not a problem. Louisville is about 2 hours away (I'll be house sitting there until September 11). If you decide you want a good beer after arrival I'd be happy to take you to Nash Bar and Sergio's. Trust me, you'll enjoy both. Otherwise Lexington is about 2.5 hours and I'm always willing to make myself available for a brewery and beer bar tour.

Awesome. Thank you. We flew into Louisville last week when home hunting, so I am already familiar with the drive.

I shall let you know. I am probably going to be a wreck that week after moving. So much to do, lol.

Seth C

Awesome. Thank you. We flew into Louisville last week when home hunting, so I am already familiar with the drive.

I shall let you know. I am probably going to be a wreck that week after moving. So much to do, lol.

Not a problem. Both Nachbar and Sergio's are well worth checking out. Nach Bar is this shady looking dive in the middle of a residential neighborhood (literally no other business around) that looks like this:

DSC02569.JPG

Then you go in and their tap list looks like this:

Ayinger Celebrator Doppelbock
Bell's Two Hearted Ale
Brooklyn Sorachi Ace
Franziskaner
Freigeist Abraxxxas
Haandbryggeriet Haandbakk
HammerHeart Peter's Portar
Old Milwaukee
Prairie Hop Ale
Schneider Aventinus
Sierra Nevada Beer Camp Across America Chico King
Sierra Nevada Beer Camp Across America There and Back
Sierra Nevada Bigfoot Barleywine
Stiegl Radler Grapefruit
Stone Spröcketbier
Three Floyds Space Station: Middle Finger
Victory Prima Pils
Young's Double Chocolate Stout Nitro

20803.jpg

Sergio's is in the middle of nowhere, has no real signage at all, only takes cash, and the bar tab is basically whatever you and the bartender mentally remember (seriously). But then you go inside and see their current tap list is...

P1010904.JPG

Abbaye Des Rocs Grand Cru
Alvinne Podge Bourgogne Barrel Oak Aged Imperial Stout
Heather Ales Fraoch
Huyghe Floris Apple Beer
Lore Evocator Doppelbock Doppelbock
Sierra Nevada / Three Floyds Beer Camp Chico King
Sierra Nevada Northern Hemisphere Harvest Wet Hop Ale
St. Bernardus Extra 4
Struise Weltfreude
Three Floyds Alpha King
Verhaeghe Duchesse de Bourgogne
Anderson Valley El Steinber Dark Lager
Arcadia Cocoa Loco Triple Chocolate Stout
Cazeau Saison Saison
Chimay Rouge Trappist
Country Boy Ghost Gose
De Landtsheer Malheur 10
Dogfish Head Positive Contact
Dogfish Head Ta Henket
Guinness Draught
HammerHeart Fautzrauch
Het Anker Lucifer
Huyghe La Guillotine
Kilkenny Irish Ale
Left Hand Nitro Milk Stout
Lion Stout Foreign Export Stout
New Albanian Solidarity Baltic Porter
New Holland Black Hatter
New Holland Farmhouse Hatter
New Holland Oak Aged Hatter IPA
New Holland Rye Hatter
Dogfish Head Aprihop
North Coast Old Rasputin Russian Imperial Stout Imperial Stout
Ommegang 2014 Belgian Independence Day Pale Ale
Paulaner Hefe-Weissbier
Roman Rince Cochon Belgian Strong Ale
Schneider Aventinus Doppelbock Doppelbock
Southern Tier Mokah Imperial Stout
Straffe Hendrik Brugs Quadrupel Abt / Quadruppel
Sunner Kolsch Kolsch
Van Steenberge Gulden Draak

Which makes you very happy with life.

HiResDes

We have this awesome annual 3-day comedy/beer fest coming up called Cincy Brew Ha-Ha that I'm really pumped about

These beer sections have me the most pumped:

Booth 30 - Deschutes Beer Garden
Twilight
This clever golden-hued ale pours remarkably crisp and clean. A distinctive malt body complements a refreshing hop profile led by a heady dose of bold Amarillo hops.

Mirror Pond
The quintessential northwest pale ale. Cascade hops and more Cascade hops give this tawny colored ale delicious hop-forward aroma and flavor. Pale malt allows the hops to linger, not overpower.

Inversion
Paradise is stumbling upon our whole flower hop room and inhaling. Inversion IPA is as close as you can get without knowing somebody. Enter, if you will, all the glorious aromatic complexity of the hop. This big, bold IPA's intense multi-hop kick gets a subtle dose of restraint from select Crystal and Carastan malts. For discriminating hop heads.

Black Butte
With a dark beer as our first and flagship brand, Black Butte defined Deschutes as a radical player. A slight hop bitterness up front enhances the distinctive chocolate and roasted finish. It’s prized for its creamy mouthfeel and intense complex flavors.

Booth 20 - Abita & Bells
Abita Purple Haze
A lager brewed with real raspberries added after filtration. It is brewed with pilsner and wheat malts and Vanguard hops. The berries add a fruity aroma, tartly sweet taste and a subtle purple color and haze...you may see fruit pulp in the beer.

Abita Triple Haze
A take on one of our most popular year round offerings, Purple Haze. It is a strong golden lager made with malted barley and wheat. It is hopped with German Perle hops to give the beer a delicate hop flavor. After the beer is filtered, a generous amount of fresh raspberry puree is added. This gives the beer a tartly sweet taste and aroma as well as a bright purple color and haze.

Bell's Oberon
A wheat ale fermented with Bell's signature house ale yeast, mixing a spicy hop character with mildly fruity aromas. The addition of wheat malt lends a smooth mouth feel, making it a classic summer beer.

Bell's Two Hearted Ale
Defined by its intense hop aroma and malt balance. Hopped exclusively with the Centennial hop varietal from the Pacific Northwest, massive additions in the kettle and again in the fermenter lend their characteristic grapefruit and pine resin aromas. A significant malt body balances this hop presence; together with the signature fruity aromas of Bell's house yeast, this leads to a remarkably drinkable American-style India Pale Ale.

Booth 21 - Founder's & Rivertowne
Founder's All Day IPA
The beer you've been waiting for. Keeps your taste satisfied while keeping your senses sharp. An all-day IPA naturally brewed with a complex array of malts, grains and hops. Balanced for optimal aromatics and a clean finish. The perfect reward for an honest day¹s work and the ultimate companion to celebrate life¹s simple pleasures.

Founder's Rubaeus
Not another boring summer wheat beer or lemonade shandy,Rübæus is Founders' way to celebrate the season's warmest months. Optimizing the flavor of fresh raspberries added at multiple stages during fermentation, this stunning berry red masterpiece is the perfect balance of sweet and tart.

Rivertowne Hala Kahiki
A beer so enticing you may think it's nectar from the gods. The name "Hala Kahiki"(hahlah-kah-hee-kee), originates from the Hawaiian words for pineapple. Feel the way it rolls off your tongue? Our sweet and refreshing beer will take you away ...have a sip ...grab a lei!

Rivertowne Maxwell's Scottish Ale
The Maxwells have made the art of brewing a family tradition for centuries. This Scot comes alive, as five different varieties of malt create a deep, surprisingly smooth finish. Intrigued? Go ahead and lift its kilt!

Booth 22 - Ace & Avery

Ace Perry Cider
First released in 1996, this is the first Perry cider made in California. It became very popular very quickly, as it is so refreshing. It is made from apple and pear juices. We use champagne yeast in all our ciders and ferment for 10-14 days. We then cold-filter 4 times and carbonate them before putting into bottles or kegs. The ingredients are all natural juices. It is 5% alcohol by volume with a lovely pear nose and a smooth semi-sweet mouth feel with a dry finish.

Ace Pumpkin Cider
We first made this cider three years ago in 2010. It has become extremely popular since then. We add cinnamon, cloves and allspice to fermented apple juice to produce a 5 per cent cider which tastes like pumpkin pie. It is orange in color with a full rich taste that makes you want more. We carbonate the cider, cold- filter it four times before we bottle and keg it. This cider is released after Labor Day and is ideal for Halloween through Thanksgiving; although some customers think we should make it year round. It is the first Pumpkin cider to be made out West. One word for ACE PUMPKIN, delicious!

Avery White Rascal
A truly authentic Belgian style wheat or white ale, this Rascal is unfiltered (yup, that's yeast on the bottom) and cleverly spiced with coriander and Curaçao orange peel producing a refreshingly zesty classic ale.

Avery Karma
We believe in Karma. We suspect most of you do, too. It truly is a global concept: very simply put, "you get what you give". Inspired by this principle and the wonderful farmhouse and pale ales of Belgium, we've created Karma Ale, a decidedly fruity and estery ale, intricate in body and nose, all driven by a unique Belgian yeast strain. Remember, good things DO happen to good people. Here¹s to being good!

Booth 23 - Lagunitas & Vander Mill

Lagunitas IPA
Was our first seasonal way back in 1995. The recipe was formulated with malt and hops working together to balance it all out on your Œbuds so you can knock back more than one without wearing yourself out. Big on the aroma with a hoppy-sweet finish that¹ll leave you wanting another sip.

Lagunitas Little Sumpin' Sumpin Ale
A truly unique style featuring a strong hop finish on a silky body. A filtered pale wheat ale that is great for both IPA and wheat beer fans.

Vander Mill Totally Roasted Cider
Beginning with our traditional hard apple cider we then steep candied pecans. We make our own cinnamon roasted pecans that bring vanilla, cinnamon, and a nuttiness to this product that makes it a truly unique cider. Totally Roasted is semi-sweet with a tart finish.

Vander Mill Ginger Peach Cider
Our traditional hard apple cider blended with peaches and ginger. Refreshing, spicy, semi-sweet cider.

Booth 24 - North Peak & Ballast Point
North Peak Vicious
Is an exciting American Wheat IPA. This refreshing style is unfiltered and uses generous amounts of American hops for assertive bitterness and aroma.

North Peak Archangel
Is an American Wheat Beer brewed with Michigan cherries. Subtly hopped with Perle and Vanguard hops, Archangel is refreshing, clean and crisp.

Ballast Point Sculpin IPA
A trophy beer that¹s a testament to our homebrew roots. Our Sculpin IPA is a great example of what got us into brewing in the first place. After years of experimenting, we knew hopping an ale at five separate stages would produce something special. The result ended up being this gold-medal winning IPA, whose inspired use of hops creates hints of apricot, peach, mango and lemon flavors, but still packs a bit of a sting, just like a Sculpin fish.

Ballast Point Fatham IPL
Lager meets IPA in a winning combination. Our Fathom India Pale Lager combines time-honored lagering techniques with the hop profiles of a West Coast IPA recipe. The cold-fermenting lager yeast provides a clean base that allows the citrus and pine aromas from the hops to really shine. The result is a gold medal beer with a refreshing, easy drinking character and just the right amount of depth.

Booth 25 - Troegs & Epic

Troegs Perpetual IPA
In our constant evolution as a brewery, we've developed an undying drive to meld the organic and the mechanical. Perpetual IPA utilizes our hopback and dry-hopping to engineer a bold Imperial Pale Ale. It features Bravo, Chinook and Mt. Hood hops in the boil, Mt. Hood and Nugget hops in the hopback, and is further dry-hopped with Citra and Cascade hops.

Troegenator Double Bock
Is a dark, strong lager. It pours into a glass with a bronze to brown color, fluffy white head and bready malt aroma. The Troegenator leaves a rich, warming feeling and subtle spicy flavors. The style, Double Bock, dates back a century or so ago. During periods of fasting without solid foods, the Monastic brewers relied on the Double Bock; a stronger, richer beer to fulfill their basic nutritional needs. Known to them as "liquid bread," a Double Bock has a strong malt aroma and rich chewy body. In the spirited tradition of naming a Double Bock using the suffix "-ator," we give you Troegenator to provide warmth and nourishment all throughout the year.

Epic Brainless IPA
Pays tribute to the collaborative efforts of innovative brewers. The fruity Belgian yeast and powerful American hops relentlessly tease your pallet.

Epic Hopsyndrome Lager
A deliciously hoppy lager, this clean, spicy, yet fruity addition is sure to quench your summer palate just right!

Booth 26 - New Holland & Brew Kettle
New Holland Ichabod
Combines malted barley and real pumpkin with cinnamon and nutmeg in a delicious and inviting brew. After dinner, try it with your favorite dessert.

New Holland Dragon's Mile
A stout with roasty malt character intermingled with deep vanilla tones, all dancing in an oak bath.

Brew Kettle White Rajah IPA
A West Coast style IPA full of citrus-like and tropical fruit like hop flavor and aroma with an assertive yet smooth bitter finish....malt, take a back seat please.

Brew Kettle Kitka
A traditional Milk Stout with additions of milk sugar for added sweetness. We then add cocoa powder and melted, Belgian chocolate in the boil and "dry spiced" with organic coconut flakes after fermentation.

Booth 27 - Southern Tier & Coronado
Southern Tier Pumking
All Hallow's Eve is a time of the year when spirits can make contact with the physical world, and when magic is most potent. It is thought that we harness this magic to brew our powerful pumpkin ale. Not so, but it is with great respect to the magic of their trade that our brewers produce this fine beer. Take a whiff of this complex ale and your journey has just begun. At first sip, a magical spell will bewitch your taste buds, yet another victim enraptured by the Pumking.

Southern Tier Warlock
Brewed to enchant your palate on its own & also to counterpoint our Imperial Ale, Pumking. Make your own black magic by carefully pouring this Imperial Stout into a goblet. Dark and mysterious, the Blackwater Series is serious about high gravity. Reanimate your senses with Warlock¹s huge roasted malt character, moderate carbonation & a spicy pumpkin pie aroma.

Coronado Islander IPA
Named after Coronado Island, our original India Pale Ale is a liquid expression of hometown pride. Centennial, Chinook and Columbus hops combine to provide an explosive burst of piney bitterness and luscious notes of apricot, grapefruit and mango that are sure to evoke imagery of swaying palms and sun-kissed shores.

Coronado Orange Ave Wit
This So-Cal take on a traditional witbier honors Coronado's main street, which is home to our brewpub and was once lined with orange trees. Bolstered by orange zest, coriander and orange blossom honey, its Belgium by way of Coronado. Expect a refreshing, light-bodied brew rife with citrus zing and a hint of earthy spice.

Jarnet87

blueberry_tapsticker.jpg

Went last night to the bottle release and got myself 4 bombers. Can't even imagine what it's like when it's a highly sought after release like the nib smuggler or maple bacon coffee porter. There must have been at least 100-150 people lined up for bottles and a lot of people were getting 4-5 bottles. The beer itself is great if you like blueberry. It's got a ton of genuine blueberry flavor like in a pie or cobbler, not just like a artificially blueberry flavored beer like a shipyard or seadog kind of thing. Great color too.

sefskillz

shitting in the alley outside your window

Nashville beer scene isn't great, so don't expect much. Only beer festival I'd recommend here is the Winter Warmer in December. Tickets go on sale Oct 31 and will go super fast.

Nocturnx

I did a quick comparison and looked over the lists, based on breweries I've sampled extensively. Here are some of the highlights that you will be losing access to:

Allagash
Ballast Point
Clown Shoes
Maine Brewing
New England
Relic
Weyerbacher

And here are some breweries I'd recommend that you'll now have access to:

Against the Grain
Anchorage
Anderson Valley
Arcadia
Avery
Bells
Country Boy
Dark Horse
Deschutes
Great Lakes
Jolly Pumpkin
Left Hand
New Holland
Prairie
Schlafly
Three Floyd's
Uinta
West Sixth

Great Lakes is one of my favorites. I'm bias though because I live 30 minutes from them. The brewery has a fantastic rathskeller with several beers on tap that they don't bottle and widely distribute. If you ever get a chance to try their Christmas Ale, highly recommend. They do a tour of the brewery on weekends too if your ever up in Cleveland.

Another good micro brew in the area is The Brew Kettle. They brew lots of really unique beers and also a barrel of firkin (unfiltered, double-fermented) every Thursday that is always a surprise. A great place to get your growler filled.

Seth C

Received my 7lb co2 tank and had it filled yesterday. Tomorrow I get my lines, regulator, faucets, etc. The cider is down to 1.02 (OG was about 1.05) and I'm hoping it will get down to around 1.01 by Friday or Saturday, at which point I'll transfer it to a keg and back sweeten it with some apple juice to around 5% alcohol. The IIPA is bubbling away and I plan to transfer it to secondary on Tuesday. Pretty excited.

bowery

after trying HF Everett for the first time a few weeks ago I was craving porters and decided to try the founders one and it blew me away from what I was expecting, so good even compared to the HF.

after trying HF Everett for the first time a few weeks ago I was craving porters and decided to try the founders one and it blew me away from what I was expecting, so good even compared to the HF.
It's seriously one of the exemplars of the style. Also try Great Lakes Edmund Fitzgerald of you've got it available.

Seth C

More kegerator parts arrived today! I pulled everything that was fermenting out of the fridge for a bit and installed the rest of what will be needed to have a working draft beer system.

They apparently screwed up my order so for now I have one ugly, cheap faucet with two beautiful Perlicks. I'll have to wait to get that sorted out, but I won't have a third beer on for a while. The co2 tank is installed, with the regulator and the manifold to send gas to up to three kegs.
747jylRl.jpg

And a shot of the new bar area. I hinged my old bar top so I could easily swing it open to access the kegerator, and have a small fridge next to it for bottles. I also put up a couple of shelves above for glass and brewing/cleaning storage.
fYwl2RZl.jpg

Top Bottom