• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Beer |OT|

Seth C

I am drinking so much Founders beer right now.

Kentucky Breakfast Stout
Imperial Stout
Nitro Oatmeal Stout
Backwoods Bastard
Curmudgeon
Dissenter
Centennial

...so far.

I am drinking so much Founders beer right now.

Kentucky Breakfast Stout
Imperial Stout
Nitro Oatmeal Stout
Backwoods Bastard
Curmudgeon
Dissenter
Centennial

...so far.

I'm really digging Dissenter. Going to be sad when it's not readily available

Yeah, Dissenter impressed me out of nowhere. Great beer. There's still a few bars here that still have Backwoods Bastard on tap from this winter and its only gotten better.I'd go as far to put it on the same level as KBS.

Seth C

Yeah, Dissenter impressed me out of nowhere. Great beer. There's still a few bars here that still have Backwoods Bastard on tap from this winter and its only gotten better.I'd go as far to put it on the same level as KBS.

Oh I forgot. The Curmudgeon, Imperial Stout, and Backwoods are all from 2013.

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
Ooo beer OT. This is currently my favorite.

Surly Coffee Bender, brewed in Minneapolis,MN.

533284_10150939595317752_601562712_n.jpg

pxleyes

Banned
If you can't find a DD and you get too drunk I'm sure I can find room for you on the sofa.

The kegerator (or keezer, if you prefer) has most of the physical labor done now. The collar got 3 coats of polyurethane and looks pretty nice. I put a layer of insulation on it and dropped it in for a nice snug fit, then re-attached the lid. I built and tested my temperature controller and that's working. Now I'm just waiting on the kegs (should arrive today), the co2 tank, and the faucets/lines/regulator, all of which have shipped. Going to start a raspberry apple cider in the next day or two and brew a citra double IPA over the weekend.

Some more photos...

The collar with poly and insulation. Will also do some spray in foam in the corners.

Inner workings of the temperature controller.

All wired up.

The whole rig, with a mini fridge beside it for bottles.
Can we talk shop? I have an almost identical freezer I want to convert into a fermentation chamber given the insane Florida heat. I need to build a similar collar and use a very similar temperature regulator. So questions...

Did you use any plans for the construction, or did you just do your own planning and judge it based off some photos of other examples of you have seen online?

What kind of foam did you end up using?

It looks like there is a slight recess on the front of the collar for the lid, is that right?

What adhesive did you use to attach the collar to the freezer?

You mind going through the temp regulator setup you used?

I like those corner braces on the collar, got any more info on those?

Seth C

Can we talk shop? I have an almost identical freezer I want to convert into a fermentation chamber given the insane Florida heat. I need to build a similar collar and use a very similar temperature regulator. So questions...

Did you use any plans for the construction, or did you just do your own planning and judge it based off some photos of other examples of you have seen online?

It looks like there is a slight recess on the front of the collar for the lid, is that right?

I'm completely drunk right now but I'll do my best. I started by building a box of 1x10 that fit the outer edge of the chest freezer. Disconnected the lid and just built it. Then I got some 1x12 to use as a lip. Screwed it in to the 1x10 on the front and sides. Used some insulation on the bottom and just put it on top of the freezer. Didn't connect it at all, the weight is enough. Reattached the lid to the collar. Gave it 3 coats of oak polyurethane.

I use basic cheap corner braces inside. $1 or so each.

The temp regulator is an stc-1000 or whatever. You can find it on amazon for $16, wired up using an outlet from Walmart and an old PC power cable. I can get you the wiring schematics.

I just measured everything and went crazy. Honestly if you already have the freezer, I used about $50 in lumber and hardware and $20 to build the temperature controller. It should be cheap.

The controller works GREAT. You can set any of the variables you want. I have it set at 21.5c for fermentation because that what white labs California ale yeast wants, with a range of .5c in either direction and a delay of 10 minutes so I don't burn out the compressor.

DiscoJon

Banned
Seattle/Western Washington peeps:

I stopped by the Total Wine and More store in Lynnwood earlier tonight. They have a keg of W00tstout 2013 on tap there. It's been aging in the fridge since last year according to the guy I talked to.

$40.00 for a growler fill. A little out of my range, so I didn't partake.

Go and enjoy! (if you can afford it and want to drive to Lynnwood)

Skele7on

Banned
Last night I was drinking DNA I wouldn't recommend it.

I had only 2 pints, yet today I feel like I have been hit in the head with a sledgehammer.

:\

Give me a pint of Samuel Adams any day.

If you're just using it as a fermentation chamber, do you need a collar? All of my fermenters are substantially shorter than my kegs.

pxleyes

Banned
Depends. If his freezer has a hump for the compressor it might let him get an extra carboy in there.

Bingo bingo. Need the room for the airlock and if I put a shelf in the bottom to level it out I can get 2-3 carboys in there. Reviewing your other notes now.

Bingo bingo. Need the room for the airlock and if I put a shelf in the bottom to level it out I can get 2-3 carboys in there. Reviewing your other notes now.
I that case, can I recommend something that a friend did for his? He used 2x8 PVC decking. It solvent-welds together so you don't have any exposed hardware, insulates well on its own, and doesn't need to be sealed. He just built a rectangular frame the same size as his freezer, then glued it down with a little silicone caulk.

pxleyes

Banned
I that case, can I recommend something that a friend did for his? He used 2x8 PVC decking. It solvent-welds together so you don't have any exposed hardware, insulates well on its own, and doesn't need to be sealed. He just built a rectangular frame the same size as his freezer, then glued it down with a little silicone caulk.

You absolutely may and will have to look that up.

3129346d8bdf0dfae31471c5749b97ac_640x640.jpg

Chingadera (Boneyard's Imperial IRA collab with Alpine) is LEGIT. Super tropical fruit with a nice solid malt backbone. So smooth that you'd never know it's 9%.

not too long till we see a session stout with the way things are going in the craft beer scene

I've had British Milds that border on a stout.

fenners

Exactly. Stouts/porters /are/ session beers. It's the damned modern craft push for crazy alcohol that took them out them out of that range in the first place ;)

Already had a couple Firestone Oaktoberfests (which was ok) but I went out and picked up a fresh 4-pack of Modern Times Fortunate Isles. Damn this beer is just way too drinkable, and this brewery is only going to get better.

Jarnet87

Sam Adams Fat Jack spotted in the wild. This makes me very happy.

happy-the-office-excited-thrilled-ellie-kemper.gif

Wonder if it's from this year or just older bottles. Their website says it's not currently being brewed. Either way I must hunt. Total Wine seems to not give a fuk about Sam Adams Small Batch and just put them up on the shelf. I grabbed multiple Fat Jacks and Double Bocks when they were available last year.

Screaming_Gremlin

My QB is a Dick and my coach is a Nutt
Wonder if it's from this year or just older bottles. Their website says it's not currently being brewed. Either way I must hunt. Total Wine seems to not give a fuk about Sam Adams Small Batch and just put them up on the shelf. I grabbed multiple Fat Jacks and Double Bocks when they were available last year.

I take it Fat Jack was difficult to find in some places? It was everywhere last year in Connecticut. Will definitely have to pick up some new bottles if I see it somewhere.

I actually just began drinking pumpkin beers tonight. I had a Shipyard Smashed Pumpkin and a Two Roads Roadsmary Baby (I love the name, even if it isn't the greatest beer in the world). I have Pumpking and Warlock in the fridge for later.

I also just had Evil Twin Imperial Biscotti Break for the first time. Oh wow, that is an amazing stout. I thought the Doughnut Break was good, but this blows it away. I think I am going to have to go grab some more bottles of it.

PG2G

I also just had Evil Twin Imperial Biscotti Break for the first time. Oh wow, that is an amazing stout. I thought the Doughnut Break was good, but this blows it away. I think I am going to have to go grab some more bottles of it.

Wait til you try the barrel aged version. One of my favorites

Jarnet87

I take it Fat Jack was difficult to find in some places? It was everywhere last year in Connecticut. Will definitely have to pick up some new bottles if I see it somewhere.

I actually just began drinking pumpkin beers tonight. I had a Shipyard Smashed Pumpkin and a Two Roads Roadsmary Baby (I love the name, even if it isn't the greatest beer in the world). I have Pumpking and Warlock in the fridge for later.

We don't get that much Sam Adams stuff down here in South Florida. It's mainly the Boston Lager, some variety packs, seasonals, and tame stuff from the brewmasters collection like Cherry Wheat. Tough to find beers from the Small Batch or Limited Releases.

Screaming_Gremlin

My QB is a Dick and my coach is a Nutt
Wait til you try the barrel aged version. One of my favorites

If I can find that some where, I will buy all of the bottles they let me. I have to imagine that is just amazing.

Also finally was in the mood to break open my bottle of the original batch of the New England Brewing Co.'s Attempted Redrum. I have had this sitting in my closet and then fridge for a few years now.

I am not the biggest fan of barley wines, but that is really good. Not sure if it is just the age, but it is really smooth. You still get that rum flavor, but it isn't overpowering like some barrel aged beers tend to be.

Edit - Sorry if the pictures are a bit blurry, I might have drank a bit too much before taking them. Still, a great beer.

Just got back from a Goose Island takeover at my local. Had Proprietor's. Didn't think I'd ever see it outside of Chicago.

Holy crap. Tastes like the moon and the stars.

Store near work had Sculpin. Never seen that in CT before. I should have grabbed it but didn't for some reason. Got their last bottle of 120 Minute IPA instead.

HiResDes

Got drunk last night on Rubaeus and Little Sumpin extra Ale and went on a Cincinnati underground brewery tour and learned so much cool shit about Cincinnati. Craft breweries were pretty much born here and Sam Adam's really got its start here in Cincy. We explored this awesome underground tunnel where the old distilleries stored their beer too. I'll upload some pictures in a few

Oreoleo

Good night and painful morning. Got together with a few of the guys
Hohoho, a pumpkin sour? How was that? Sounds amazing.
You should have Sierra Nevada at your local grocery store. Probably also Abita, definitely Sam Adams.

All good recommendations. Careful with Sierra Nevada though, they can be a little hoppy/bitter for beginners. Can't go wrong with Sam Adam's Summer Ale though.

Seth C

Hohoho, a pumpkin sour? How was that? Sounds amazing.

All good recommendations. Careful with Sierra Nevada though, they can be a little hoppy/bitter for beginners. Can't go wrong with Sam Adam's Summer Ale though.

Yeah, but it's also the best brewery I can be sure will be represented at his grocery store. Gotta take some risks sometime!

codhand

Also finally was in the mood to break open my bottle of the original batch of the New England Brewing Co.'s Attempted Redrum. I have had this sitting in my closet and then fridge for a few years now.

I am not the biggest fan of barley wines, but that is really good. Not sure if it is just the age, but it is really smooth. You still get that rum flavor, but it isn't overpowering like some barrel aged beers tend to be.

Edit - Sorry if the pictures are a bit blurry, I might have drank a bit too much before taking them. Still, a great beer.

niice. i have a few of these. great beer. on the sweet side.

cool pics Des.

Seth C

Last kegerator pictures for a while.

Pouring the first pint of homemade cider.
kfUq7DKl.jpg

The first glass poured from my own kegs. It was still a little under-carbonated, but I just had to try it.
mZNn8TFl.jpg

And a custom tap handleI knocked out from scrap wood today. Needs to be finished but for now it will do.
QVbRLBCl.jpg

Top Bottom