• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Beer |OT|

Not sure, it had a purple label.
New version, probably. They allegedly changed the recipe back in May or so. So it's not too likely you'd have an old one at this point, but it's possible.

I know a fair number of people who don't care for the new recipe. Not necessarily because it's bad. More because it's kinda playing to trends instead being its own thing.

CrankyJay

Banned
New version, probably. They allegedly changed the recipe back in May or so. So it's not too likely you'd have an old one at this point, but it's possible.

I know a fair number of people who don't care for the new recipe. Not necessarily because it's bad. More because it's kinda playing to trends instead being its own thing.

Yeah I have no point of reference, I just enjoyed it because it had good bite, was very drinkable, not overly flowery nose.

Cr0wn0

Yeah I still see it in some smaller liquor stores. I don't know if they will still have it, but Mr K's in Placentia (which is like a block from the Bruery) is ny favorite liquor store in the area. You can probably call them, id say its worth a visit even if they are out.

Think its about a 15 minute drive away though

Dude thanks so much for this, I ended up getting 2 bottles of W00tStout from them and a bunch of other stuff. Awesome little shop and I talked to the owner for a little while and he offered to hold certain releases for me for up to a few weeks if needed.

I had never been to the tasting room at the Bruery and I wish we would have taken a Taxi so we could of done some flights but I ended up getting the Oude Tart with Plums and Sour in the rye with coconut and pineapple ( which was holy shit phenomenal ).

PG2G

Dude thanks so much for this, I ended up getting 2 bottles of W00tStout from them and a bunch of other stuff. Awesome little shop and I talked to the owner for a little while and he offered to hold certain releases for me for up to a few weeks if needed.

I had never been to the tasting room at the Bruery and I wish we would have taken a Taxi so we could of done some flights but I ended up getting the Oude Tart with Plums and Sour in the rye with coconut and pineapple ( which was holy shit phenomenal ).

Awesome. Bruery is definitely one of the better tasting rooms I've ever been to in terms of one offs and what not. Glad you had enjoyed, now you know what to do next time :p

matt360

Pumking always tasted like drinking a Yankee Candle to me. I know it's not synthetic ingredients, but just can't get past it. I do enjoy pumpkin beers though.

I'm fortunate in the fact that I drank Pumking before I smelled the Yankee Candle, so I associate the candle as smelling like the magnificent beer and not the other way around. But you're right that they do smell EXACTLY the same.

Even still, Pumking is easily the most delicious beer to ever pass my lips. Dear God I hope we get some in Japan this year. Apparently with rising demand at home, Southern Tier exported far less than their usual amount. Understandable, but not being able to drink any last year pretty much ruined my Halloween.

codhand

well... the oldest craft brewpub in New Haven burnt down last night :(

AR-140829678.jpg&maxh=400&maxw=667

one hundred year-old building and the home of my family's first meal in Connecticut.

hopefully they can rebuild but the rare wine and Cantillon bottles are gone forevs.

My wife just got back from a 2-day business trip to Boston. So... more beer for me.

nJICsuO.jpg

Sat by a ton of guys heading out here for PAX. Not my thing, but that's cool.

overcast

Little Sumpin' Extra is delicious! So easy and tasty, yet 9% shocked me.

The racer 5 has become my go to IPA, 10 dollars and so tasty. Sculpin is delicious too, but 15 is pricey for me.

Going to some bars in SD Saturday, gonna experiment if possible.

HiResDes

The racer 5 has become my go to IPA, 10 dollars and so tasty. Sculpin is delicious too, but 15 is pricey for me.

Yes little Sumpin is the my favorite beer of the summer.

I'm not that impressed by Sumpin' Extra. I was hoping for some of the peachiness and sturdy body that comes through in Sumpin' Sumpin'. Instead, it's just another by-the-numbers double IPA.

t-ramp

I'm not that impressed by Sumpin' Extra. I was hoping for some of the peachiness and sturdy body that comes through in Sumpin' Sumpin'. Instead, it's just another by-the-numbers double IPA.
A friend gave me a bottle and I really liked it. I'm no good at picking out flavors, but it was definitely more enjoyable than a lot of DIPAs I've had. I'm looking forward to distribution here expanding to bottles as well as draft so I can try Sumpin' Sumpin' and their other stuff.

Today I finally picked up a Dissenter, as well as some Summit Oktoberfest. I was thinking about getting a Sam Adams summer variety 12-pack for $8 too, but realized I don't even like most of the beers in there that I had last year.

Picked up a can of Old Chub Nitro and a 6 pack of Little Sumpin Extra tonight. Just had the Old Chub Nitro. Not too bad. Tastes a bit sweeter than anticipated, especially as it warmed up a bit. Not bad, but probably not going to seek it out again.

Will save the Little Sumpin Extra for tomorrow probably, but I will probably be weak and have some tonight.

My weekend has begun. Off to Schooner Exact in Seattle tonight, and then flying to Michigan in the morning for a wedding. Bummed that I'm missing Toronado Seattle's grand opening party on Saturday. Alpine and RR rumored to be there...

Seth C

Gotta disagree here. I've had Lil Sumpin Extra many times and the peach flavors are definitely there. Not liking it is fine, but it's a very different double IPA. Far from by the numbers

Gotta disagree here. I've had Lil Sumpin Extra many times and the peach flavors are definitely there. Not liking it is fine, but it's a very different double IPA. Far from by the numbers
I must have gotten served something different, then. Because I didn't catch any of that.

ShinAmano

Been a while since I checked in but I have had some great beer recently and picked up a couple I think will follow that trend:

Beers I drank last weekend:
Stone - Quad
Southern Tier - Warlock
Ale Works - Café Royale
Founders - Dissenter
Stone - RuinTen

Beers I picked up for this weekend:
Bells - Mars
Bells - Oracle
Avery - 5 Monks
Firestone Walker - Double DBA

I am sure I will grab a couple more on Friday...hoping to see Heavy Seas Greater Pumpkin at some point.

andylsun

I love the old Green Flash West coast IPA, and tried the new one at the weekend. In my opinion an unnecessary change. No need for more citrus (that wasn't the attraction of the old one) and the increase in gravity just so they can call it a double IPA did it no favours.

I have a spot on clone recipe for the old one that will get brewed in a couple of weeks.

HiResDes

Been a while since I checked in but I have had some great beer recently and picked up a couple I think will follow that trend:

Beers I drank last weekend:
Stone - Quad
Southern Tier - Warlock
Ale Works - Café Royale
Founders - Dissenter
Stone - RuinTen

Beers I picked up for this weekend:
Bells - Mars
Bells - Oracle
Avery - 5 Monks
Firestone Walker - Double DBA

I am sure I will grab a couple more on Friday...hoping to see Heavy Seas Greater Pumpkin at some point.
You must be close to me these are the beers available here in Cincy

I love the old Green Flash West coast IPA, and tried the new one at the weekend. In my opinion an unnecessary change. No need for more citrus (that wasn't the attraction of the old one) and the increase in gravity just so they can call it a double IPA did it no favours.

I have a spot on clone recipe for the old one that will get brewed in a couple of weeks.
Care to share the recipe?

Had some Pumking over the weekend. It was deee-lish.

The forecast for my next few drinks is looking to be very dark.

My absolute favorite pumpkin beer. I noticed it on the shelves the other day but am not feeling autumnal enough to buy it. I will probably cave soon enough though. A local restaurant gets it on tap every autumn and dip the rim of the glass in some cinnamon and nutmeg or something spice mix, it is amazing. I look forward to it every year.

ShinAmano

Every time I see The Oracle's label, I wonder why they decided to add the redundant "Ale" after "DIPA".

Lol...also found it funny that they put it out with Mars...2 DIPA one cup lol...

Anyhow Mars is great.

Also picked up:
Stone 18
Blue Mountain Spooky
Unita Punkn
Firestone Wookey Jack

Lol...also found it funny that they put it out with Mars...2 DIPA one cup lol...

Anyhow Mars is great.

Mars is totally sold out here in Ann Arbor. Oh well.

Also, I totally called out some drunk grad student at a bar here last night. He was claiming that Oregon should not be ranked higher than Michigan in terms of beer. I totally yelled at him and then politely explained why he was wrong. He shut up after admitting he's never had Oregon beer. The beer here is really good, but I'll take PNW any day.

The Michigan born and raised bartender shook my hand and then gave me free beer.

codhand

Also, I totally called out some drunk grad student at a bar here last night. He was claiming that Oregon should not be ranked higher than Michigan in terms of beer. I totally yelled at him and then politely explained why he was wrong. He shut up after admitting he's never had Oregon beer. The beer here is really good, but I'll take PNW any day.

You prefer PNW beers to another state's? I had no idea.
:p

ShinAmano

Well...note to self...after drinking a 10.1% (Mars) and a 22oz 8.3% (Wookey Jack) and a 5.6% (Punk'n) don't expect to play ranked Ultra SF well...7 and 8...ouch lol.

Heading to Strangeways brewing today...steal the growler day :)

Seth C

Mars is totally sold out here in Ann Arbor. Oh well.

The Michigan born and raised bartender shook my hand and then gave me free beer.

Sorry. I've had Oregon beer and Michigan beer. I'd take michigan's breweries about 7 times out of 10. I know you'll disagree, but you're also exceptionally biased on this one. :) Still, between Arcadia, Bell's, Dark Horse, Founders, Jolly Pumpkin, and Brewery Vivant I just think the offering is more complete, with some of the best beers in the country across almost every style.

Of Beer Advocate's top 250, four out of ten are from Michigan, Illinois, or Indiana. Basically all from breweries right around the southern edge of Lake Michigan. The first beer from the PNW doesn't show up until 35. Michigan has 4 beers rated higher than that. Oregon has about the same number in the entire top 100.

If we go to ratebeer's rankings by style...

Michigan has the #6 pale lager (Oregon at 11)
Michigan has the #8 fruit/speciality beer
Michigan has the #1 IPA (which has to kill you)
Michigan has the #4 DIPA
Michigan has the #1, #4, and #14 stout
Oregon has the #10 strong ale (Michigan at 11)
Michigan has the #3 and #10 porter
Oregon has the #7 imperial porter
Oregon has the #11 saison (Vermont kills this category)
Oregon has the #1 dark lager (Michigan at 10)
Michigan has the #8, #9, and #11 cider
Oregon has the #1, #5, and #7 traditional ale
Michigan has the #1, #3-11, and #13-15 mead (this one caught me off guard)
Oregon has the #3 sake (this one also)

But, I would kill to be back in Astoria right now. I wish I could actually stand to live there but it's a bit removed for my liking. Just something about that area that I love though.

Beer Advocate is very much skewed towards the Midwest. Sorry, but that's not the most objective criterion. Also take into account that a lot of Oregon beers aren't bottled and don't see distro outside the PNW. I know you've been here, but most of BA hasn't.

I'm also from Washington, not Oregon. You didn't see me defending my home turf.

It's not important enough for me to make this beer wars, but it was fun seeing a kid backtrack his ignorant comments in a beer bar.

Seth C

Beer Advocate is very much skewed towards the Midwest. Sorry, but that's not the most objective criterion. Also take into account that a lot of Oregon beers aren't bottled and don't see distro outside the PNW. I know you've been here, but most of BA hasn't.

I'm also from Washington, not Oregon. You didn't see me defending my home turf.

It's not important enough for me to make this beer wars, but it was fun seeing a kid backtrack his ignorant comments in a beer bar.

So your opinion versus the opinion of the masses, with theirs somehow being more biased? Gotcha. ;) There is no logical reason for people all over the entire world ranking beers to have a Midwest bias and given how many of the mostly highly regarded beers are from your coast just a bit further south, it seems highly unlikely that's the cause. Perhaps reality is just biased toward the Midwest? :)

Lotto

Alpine Nelson is now my favorite beer. Nelson hops are something else, definitely gonna be searching for more beers that use em. It's a damn shame it's so hard to find bottled though. Gotta take a trip down to their brewery sometime and pick up a few bottles
or growlers

codhand

One minor correction Fuzzy Baby Ducks is the highest rated IPA, also it's the best, because... science!

9ExhKBX.png

Alpine Nelson is now my favorite beer. Nelson hops are something else, definitely gonna be searching for more beers that use em. It's a damn shame it's so hard to find bottled though. Gotta take a trip down to their brewery sometime and pick up a few bottles
or a growlers

coincidentally, this is the highest rated IPA that has more than 1k reviews.

Top Bottom