• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Beer |OT|

HiResDes

Dark Horse is a bit overrated in my estimation, but as a Midwesterner I will refrain from entering the conversation as I'm very biased towards Bell's and Founders.

There are quite a few breweries from California that often find myself lusting after and I wonder how they fair in terms overall critique.

codhand

Dark Horse is a bit overrated in my estimation, but as a Midwesterner I will refrain from entering the conversation as I'm very biased towards Bell's and Founders.

There are quite a few breweries from California that often find myself lusting after and I wonder how they fair in terms overall critique.

yes, i had Bell's Midwestern PA last night, even their boring styles are really good.

Yeah these sorts of debates are always gonna be insanely biased. Unsurprisingly, I think California has Michigan (and the Midwest) beat in pretty much every style but stouts. Michigan is pretty undisputed in terms of mead, tho.

distantmantra, was this whole episode at Ashley's?

Lotto

coincidentally, this is the highest rated IPA that has more than 1k reviews.

Mmm, and for good reason I'd say. I've had it on tap twice now and the first sip made me smile real hard. It's rare for a beer to do that but it managed. Ahhh I want some right now *_*

Mmm, and for good reason I'd say. I've had it on tap twice now and the first sip made me smile real hard. It's rare for a beer to do that but it managed. Ahhh I want some right now *_*

This will probably only make your longings worse but the Alpine you find on tap is brewed at Green Flash these days so you're not even getting the original! I've never had Nelson or Duet in bottles but the Green Flash-brewed versions are fantastic. I'd love the chance to compare them sometime.

Yep! I was at Ashley's. Great bar, great taplist. Really nice bartender in the underground. I guess some website did their top states list and Oregon was ranked higher than Michigan, so the guy was really upset about it.

Back to the keg of Two Hearted at this wedding I'm at. Have fun!

Lotto

This will probably only make your longings worse but the Alpine you find on tap is brewed at Green Flash these days so you're not even getting the original! I've never had Nelson or Duet in bottles but the Green Flash-brewed versions are fantastic. I'd love the chance to compare them sometime.

Whoa, had no idea. Green Flash Brewery is literally 5 minutes away from where I live. I've only been there a handful of times but their West Coast IPA was the only thing I really liked there. I'll have to ask about it next time I stop by.

East coast, (Mid)West Coast? What is this, Biggie vs. 2Pac? Good beer is good beer. I don't care where it comes from as long as I have have a chance to drink it (or wish I could). It kills me when this shit turns into a pissing contest based on some (suspect/biased) ratings. You could get someone from the Northeast jumping in touting Hill Farmstead, Alchemist, Maine Beer Co. and Jack's Abby. Hell, Chicago alone could make a claim. Too much good beer to argue over and especially when locals are stepping up and knocking it out of the park. Anybody want some Cincinnati/Midwest beers, hit me up. I'll take care of ya. Enjoy.

I declare summer officially over.

BwVRazyIEAADKaY.jpg:large

PmsVTa3.jpg

No room in our check bags for this guy.

This is good. Like Jacks Abby good. Great use of Mosaic in a lager.

At a hotel. This was the only glassware available.

I declare summer officially over.

Well, damn. Those are some heavy times ahead. Heavy and yummy.

Went out with a few coworkers to celebrate my release from work in CT before I move in a week. Went to a local pub and they had over 20 things on draft. I had the following on draft:
Stone RuinTen
New England Galaxy Pale Ale
Founders Nitro Oatmeal Stout
Sebago Hop Swap

A good night indeed

EDIT: How do you check in with other people on Untappd? My coworker and I were trying to do it as we were checking in at the pub and couldn't figure it out.

How do you check in with other people on Untappd? My coworker and I were trying to do it as we were checking in at the pub and couldn't figure it out.
You mean for the badges that need you to check in with X other people at a place? You don't need to do anything special. It just looks how many people have checked in at your location recently and automatically gives you credit accordingly.

Bought a Samuel Adams seasonal variety pack because it was on sale.

Harvest Pumpkin Ale is the first one I tried. Bitter. Very bitter. Wouldn't be able to drink it alone. Good thing I have food and water nearby to get the taste out of my mouth.

Been slacking on my beer drinking lately, so I picked up some curmudgeon.

2014-08-3120.34.57bhr19.jpg
Good shit. Enjoy.

Packing boxes for moving today. Had a bomber of Lagunitas Imperial Red earlier. Now finishing the big bottle of Rogue XS imperial Stout 2012 that a coworker got me as a going away present.

It is. Hop Ranch should be coming out in a few months too. Was so good when both of those were first released at the same time last year.
I didn't try Hop Ranch, but Dirt Wolf is my favorite double IPA that I can get year round. Will try Hop Ranch when it releases again though. Wasn't a big fan of Hop Devil by them though.

I didn't try Hop Ranch, but Dirt Wolf is my favorite double IPA that I can get year round. Will try Hop Ranch when it releases again though. Wasn't a big fan of Hop Devil by them though.

I'm curious about Hop Ranch this year as I remember it having a similar hop profile to Dirt Wolf last year. Their site currently shows Mosaic and Azacca as the hops. Might change year-to-year. I know when it was draft only it tended to be a single hop release that varied by batch. Either way, it's damn tasty.

I'm curious about Hop Ranch this year as I remember it having a similar hop profile to Dirt Wolf last year. Their site currently shows Mosaic and Azacca as the hops. Might change year-to-year. I know when it was draft only it tended to be a single hop release that varied by batch. Either way, it's damn tasty.

Good to know. Thank you.

Pumpkin beer taste off with 3 of my favorites. 3 years of Schlafly, Whole Hog pumpkin and Fat Jack. The Sam Adams is the least favorite, with the 2014 Schlafly and Whole Hog being very close. Final decision is Whole Hog will better satisfy you pumpkin beer itch, but Schlafly is the better beer overall.

codhand

I need impressions of those beers Codhand. Especially the Evil Twin

Drank the Bozo beer. Everyone agreed it was awesome, and one of the best beers of the night. It followed a Kuhnhenn Solstice Stout that was 16%, and everyone liked the Bozo better than the Kuhnhenn.

As far as Evil Twin stuff, I'd rank it pretty high as well, better than Biscotti, Doughnut, Aun Mas, and Even More Jesus.

PG2G

Went down to Toronado hoping to get into some onsite Cable Car. No luck but this consolation prize was pretty damn good. Best tequila barrel aged beer I've had by far, very subtle. Hope they actually release or at some point

HiResDes

Drank the Bozo beer. Everyone agreed it was awesome, and one of the best beers of the night. It followed a Kuhnhenn Solstice Stout that was 16%, and everyone liked the Bozo better than the Kuhnhenn.

As far as Evil Twin stuff, I'd rank it pretty high as well, better than Biscotti, Doughnut, Aun Mas, and Even More Jesus.
Damn I need both those then.

Went down to Toronado hoping to get into some onsite Cable Car. No luck but this consolation prize was pretty damn good. Best tequila barrel aged beer I've had by far, very subtle. Hope they actually release or at some point

They did release it last summer at PNC affiliated bars/shops. I've got two bottles left.

Seth C

Yeah these sorts of debates are always gonna be insanely biased. Unsurprisingly, I think California has Michigan (and the Midwest) beat in pretty much every style but stouts. Michigan is pretty undisputed in terms of mead, tho.

There's only one bar in Los Angeles where I can be sure to find a good stout. It's like barren wasteland if you're looking for a nice can of mud to drink.

mcfrank

Sounds awesome.

mcfrank

If anyone wants to send me a 6 pack of schafly pumpkin, I would trade for something from California of comparable value. Let me know.

Top Bottom