• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Beer |OT|

Gah. Told a bunch of people about those hops I found and now everybody wants a taste. Picked another couple pounds this evening before it got too dark. Gonna try for one more box load later this week.

EDIT: Also, my whole apartment smells like hops. Not the worst problem to have, I suppose.

EDIT: Also, my whole apartment smells like hops. Not the worst problem to have, I suppose.

"hops"... suuuuure ;)

Store got in a new batch of Modern Time Fortunate Islands so I couldn't resist. Saw that they got in Stone's new stout-with-a-lot-of-adjuncts so I'll try that in the next couple days, I guess.

PG2G

"hops"... suuuuure ;)

Store got in a new batch of Modern Time Fortunate Islands so I couldn't resist. Saw that they got in Stone's new stout-with-a-lot-of-adjuncts so I'll try that in the next couple days, I guess.

Heard the new Stone beer is really good. I plan to buy a few bottles

Heard the new Stone beer is really good. I plan to buy a few bottles

Yeah the only stout like it I've had is probably Prairie Bomb (haven't tried Mexican Cake, Huna, Abraxas, etc.) but it sounds interesting and it'll be nice to have a stout on hand since it's (slightly) cooler now.

Seth C

Still packing and cleaning. Took the edge off earlier with a few bottles of Little Sumpin' Extra. Now having Victory White Monkey. Really interesting. Golden Monkey is a decent but not great tripel, but aging it in Chardonnay barrels really adds a lot. Can definitely taste the hint of white wine mixed with it. Very neat, crisp, and sweet.

I'm thinking you're getting to Kentucky right about now. I know I mentioned taking you out before I left Louisville, and I'm only here till tomorrow, so you should be. You were also asking about beer festivals in the area. Well, once you settle in you may want to check this one out on September 20 in Louisville:

https://www.facebook.com/events/300419240143027/?ref=br_tf

http://louisvillebeer.com/the-king-of-beer/brandy-youre-fine-barrel-aged-beer/

Lots of breweries will have beers aged in brandy barrels. Some of the highlights for me would be:

Against the Grain: Takashi imperial stout
Country Boy Brewing: Experimental Stout #291 and barrel aged Knotty Pine (IIPA)
West 6th Brewing: Translvania Tripel
Flat 12: Spirit Mover Saison

Mind you, it's also part of Louisville's craft beer week so there will be things going on from this weekend through next.

Appreciate it. We got to KY late Monday afternoon. Our apartment construction fell behind, so living in a hotel until October 1st or so.

I dont know if my wife and I can make anything in the next two days. Still trying to lock other things down and working already. After spending so many days in the car, I don't think my wife or I could take another few hours driving for at least a week or two. You understand, lol.

I greatly appreciate the offer though.

Seth C

Appreciate it. We got to KY late Monday afternoon. Our apartment construction fell behind, so living in a hotel until October 1st or so.

I dont know if my wife and I can make anything in the next two days. Still trying to lock other things down and working already. After spending so many days in the car, I don't think my wife or I could take another few hours driving for at least a week or two. You understand, lol.

I greatly appreciate the offer though.

I understand, that's why I wanted to suggest the one 10 days from now. I'll be gone, but it will still be worth checking out, especially if you enjoy barreled beers. :)

So, my watermelon sour has been sitting at the same gravity for the last three days. If it's still stable tomorrow, I think I'm gonna keg it. Gravity samples are already very dry and super sour. It's almost offputting at first, but it kind of gradually grows on you. Goes down real easy by the third sip. Looking forward to how it's gonna be when cold and carbonated.

Seth should have some Central Illinois hops by the end of the week. I expect he'll brew with them before I do, so I hope to hear how that goes.

Seth C

So, my watermelon sour has been sitting at the same gravity for the last three days. If it's still stable tomorrow, I think I'm gonna keg it. Gravity samples are already very dry and super sour. It's almost offputting at first, but it kind of gradually grows on you. Goes down real easy by the third sip. Looking forward to how it's gonna be when cold and carbonated.

Seth should have some Central Illinois hops by the end of the week. I expect he'll brew with them before I do, so I hope to hear how that goes.

Will be brewing a pale ale of some kind on Sunday afternoon so I'll post updates. Low gravity so I expect to have it on tap by the end of the month.

Will be brewing a pale ale of some kind on Sunday afternoon so I'll post updates. Low gravity so I expect to have it on tap by the end of the month.
By the way, keep an eye out for some really excellent bugs when you open that box. This guy crawled out when I was loading it up:
gold_bug.jpg
It's a little beetle about the size of a ladybug, but solid gold in color.

Seth C

By the way, keep an eye out for some really excellent bugs when you open that box. This guy crawled out when I was loading it up:

It's a little beetle about the size of a ladybug, but solid gold in color.

Sweeeeet. I'll just boil him in for extra protein.

Hmmm or stick him in a tap handle and cover him with clear epoxy. Decisions!

PG2G

Yeah the only stout like it I've had is probably Prairie Bomb (haven't tried Mexican Cake, Huna, Abraxas, etc.) but it sounds interesting and it'll be nice to have a stout on hand since it's (slightly) cooler now.

Bought 3 bottles are $6.99. Got one in the fridge to drink tomorrow so I can stock up if its good :p

Bought 3 bottles are $6.99. Got one in the fridge to drink tomorrow so I can stock up if its good :p

Probably a dollar or two more around the corner from me but even then at least it's cheaper than wootstout. I'll probably try it tomorrow as well. I hope it's good, SoCal could always use some more stouts especially later in the year (as in, not when Stone IRS and Parabola come out IN APRIL ugh).

I guess Velvet Merkin is gonna be released soon so I'm looking forward to that too. Then again, I didn't mind the thin body/low alcohol as much as some people seemed to.

Hey MacGurcules can you just send me some of those bugs? They look fucking awesome.

Socreges

Banned
Ninkasi Tricerahops ain't half bad. The first Ninkasi beer I've bothered to drink, actually.

I miss good sours. :( Cascade and Russian River spoiled me.

Such thing as a decent pumpkin beer? Also, I was thinking of picking up the sierra nevada red IPA.

I'm generally not huge on pumpkin beers and California isn't the best place for them but yeah they can be good. I'm trying to think of what's available and decent; Dogfish Head's Punkin Ale is nice but it's pretty subtle in flavor. I've heard Sam Adams Fat Jack is good. What I'd recommend if you can find it near you right now is Almanac's Heirloom Pumpkin Barleywine. It's pricy (10 dollars or so for a 12oz bottle) but it's by far the best pumpkin beer I've ever tasted. It's a pumpkin barleywine aged in brandy barrels.

I didn't like the Sierra Nevada red IPA much but I don't like red ales in general. To be fair I was pretty bitter when I tried it last year because I knew it was replacing Tumbler ;_; I was also kinda disappointed that the citra hops didn't really stand out, mostly tasted like any other kind of hops. I haven't found it near me yet but Sierra Nevada has a fall variety pack right now with Tumbler, Octoberfest, a Vienna Lager, and Pale Ale which sounds awesome.

So Toronado Seattle has decided to do a beer week next week...

15th - Destihl Brewery sour beer night
St Dekkera Pinot Barrel Lambic
St Dekkera strawberry sour
St Dekkera Sour French Saison
Sour Flanders Red
Black sour Berliner Weisse
Gose Sour

16th - Bruery Tasting
Humulus Lager
Autumn Maple
Tart of Darkness
Oude Tart
Atomic Kangarue
Ignis Fatuus
Melange #1
Chocolate Rain

17th at 7 PM - Take the pint night with Black Raven Brewing

20th - New Belgium Brewers night

So Toronado Seattle has decided to do a beer week next week...

15th - Destihl Brewery sour beer night
St Dekkera Pinot Barrel Lambic
St Dekkera strawberry sour
St Dekkera Sour French Saison
Sour Flanders Red
Black sour Berliner Weisse
Gose Sour

16th - Bruery Tasting
Humulus Lager
Autumn Maple
Tart of Darkness
Oude Tart
Atomic Kangarue
Ignis Fatuus
Melange #1
Chocolate Rain

17th at 7 PM - Take the pint night with Black Raven Brewing

20th - New Belgium Brewers night
Woah. Destihl is distributing that far away now? That's kinda surprising to me. They've come a long way. Four or five years ago, you had like even odds that a sour you ordered at the brewery would taste like olive brine.

Woah. Destihl is distributing that far away now? That's kinda surprising to me. They've come a long way. Four or five years ago, you had like even odds that a sour you ordered at the brewery would taste like olive brine.

Destihl entered WA about a month ago.

We're also getting Perennial Artisan Ales in a couple weeks.

Destihl makes some really great sours, I would check them out.

I've had some of the fruit berliners and an imperial saison. Pretty good.

t-ramp

We got Destihl recently in Iowa, but I haven't heard or noticed if any of their sours are part of the available lineup.

I haven't found it near me yet but Sierra Nevada has a fall variety pack right now with Tumbler, Octoberfest, a Vienna Lager, and Pale Ale which sounds awesome.
Apparently their Vienna Lager is really good, according to a couple local guys on Untappd.

Apparently their Vienna Lager is really good, according to a couple local guys on Untappd.

Yeah I've only heard good things and I'm always down for good lagers. I had their octoberfest on tap last year and thought it was solid, too. I hear their winter pack is gonna have pale ale, porter, an IPA with Australian hops, and a coffee stout so I'm definitely looking forward to that.

Had a pint of Sculpin and a pint of Easy Jack with some oysters today and I have an Almanac Cerise Sour Blonde chilling in the fridge for later tonight which I've been wanting to try.

Such thing as a decent pumpkin beer? Also, I was thinking of picking up the sierra nevada red IPA.

Fat Jack by Sam Adams. Weyerbacher Imperial Pumpkin.

As for me, enjoying the Stone 18th Anniversary IPA tonight. Not bad. It tastes like a more bitter, less smooth version of Sublimely Self Righteous. Good, but SSR is better.

As for me, enjoying the Stone 18th Anniversary IPA tonight. Not bad. It tastes like a more bitter, less smooth version of Sublimely Self Righteous. Good, but SSR is better.
Pretty much my exact feeling. Roast was too understated and bitterness too aggressive. No point in a world where SSR exists.

HiResDes

You know what beer I miss having on tap that I've yet to find an equivalent for is Dogfish Head's Namaste. That was such an under appreciated brew IMO.

andycapps

Need some input from people here on what beer I should pick up while I'm on vacation in South Carolina this week. I live in Ohio so have access to quite a bit already, but I'm looking for stuff from South Carolina or the Southeast that's not up here yet. Already planning on picking up some Terrapin, not sure what else I should keep my eye out for.

Rei_Toei

Fclvat sbe Pnanqn, ru?
15216224062_8ffc412122_z.jpg

I just got half a case of it. First had it this spring and it's pretty great stuff and with the low ABV doesn't destroy you as quickly as the other Chimays.

My fave Octoberfests

Nothing but love for Ayinger's output. Could obtain it easily for a while but both stores near me that carried it stopped doing so :/

Need some input from people here on what beer I should pick up while I'm on vacation in South Carolina this week. I live in Ohio so have access to quite a bit already, but I'm looking for stuff from South Carolina or the Southeast that's not up here yet. Already planning on picking up some Terrapin, not sure what else I should keep my eye out for.

Only brewery I know from SC is Westbrook which is definitely worth checking out even if they distribute to Ohio (not sure if they do).

As far as non-infected beers go (opened a bottle of St. Bernardus Tripel once that tasted like someone had carbonated popcorn butter) the beers I hated most are probably:

Stone Matt's Burning Rosids
Southern Tier Creme Brulee

Also made the mistake of ordering Dogfish Head 90 Minute on cask once and couldn't finish the pint.

codhand

What are the worst micro brews you've ever had?

some one stars and half stars i rated on untappd

Crime - Stone
Ghost Face Killah
Pyramid Barleywine
Cuvée Series Three - Southern Tier
Mr. Page's Private Reserve - City Steam Brewery Cafe
Dodgy Knight DIPA - Tailgate beer
Ramble - Long Trail
Dolce Vita - Minhas Craft Brewery
Newport Storm
Every shandy ever

Not a big fan of Tripels in general...