• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Beer |OT|

PG2G

No Zwanze for me, too many beer events one day and its hosted at a super small place here so tickets sold out instantly

dekline

Got myself an oskar blues canundrum variety pack tonight. Good stuff, I just wish it had a couple cans of ten fidy in the box. I don't see these brews around here often.

PG2G

I actually prefer an Enjoy By over Heady Topper, lol. I feel like hops vary so much that a lot of it comes down to personal preference.

Got myself an oskar blues canundrum variety pack tonight. Good stuff, I just wish it had a couple cans of ten fidy in the box. I don't see these brews around here often.

The Ten Fidy is too good to show up in that pack. It would overshadow the rest of the other yummy stuff in there.

Was gonna share this with a friend but it didn't work out so I'm making the sacrifice of drinking this all by myself. Damn this is delicious. Never tasted so much citrus in a DIPA before, plus a ton of tropical fruit. Barely bitter and insanely smooth and drinkable, I've drank over half of the 750ml growler without realizing and it's creeping up on me. Definitely one of the best DIPAs I've ever had. That said, I know I can't extrapolate from just this one "Vermont IPA" I've tried (still haven't had, say, Heady or Double Sunshine) but it doesn't seem all that different from what breweries like Alpine are making. Still, I'd love to try more HF in the future, especially some saisons!

YgNC7iX.jpg

Seth C

I actually prefer an Enjoy By over Heady Topper, lol. I feel like hops vary so much that a lot of it comes down to personal preference.

Enjoy by is such a different beer though. Not even technically the same style. Still, I drank nearly a case of Heady by myself and never got tired of it. For me, that's a good indication of a great, balanced beer. There is no other double IPA I could drink that much of and keep enjoying it.

So Boulevard has a Hibiscus Goze in 6 packs...and wow. Tart, sweet, slight salty slickness. Not something I expected from Boulevard, but a nice, nice surprise.

HiResDes

Enjoy by is such a different beer though. Not even technically the same style. Still, I drank nearly a case of Heady by myself and never got tired of it. For me, that's a good indication of a great, balanced beer. There is no other double IPA I could drink that much of and keep enjoying it.

Hopslam isn't too terribly balanced, though I still prefer Two-Hearted

codhand

Hopslam isn't too terribly balanced, though I still prefer Two-Hearted

two hearted is great, it has zero bitterness and the taste always reminds me of fresh orange juice. i feel like it will always be in style even once people are over the current and longstanding hop craze.

HiResDes

two hearted is great, it has zero bitterness and the taste always reminds me of fresh orange juice. i feel like it will always be in style even once people are over the current and longstanding hop craze.

Breh, what DIPA did you send me last time, that shit was great.

codhand

Breh, what DIPA did you send me last time, that shit was great.

gandhi bot. always got more of that i can share, though next time i'd prolly send a mini growler right from the brewery. i'm in Indy this weekend, but when i get back i'll send smth out and pm you.

andylsun

You said it yourself, that place is a ghost town these days. Like two thirds of the posts on the last page of that thread are from me. I tried, but there's practically nobody in there besides you and me.

I try to post there, but have slowed down my drinking to weekends only, which means a 5 gal keg lasts me ages.

Actually thinking about switching to brewing some 1 gal batches. Picked up the book 'make more beer' from Brooklyn Beer Shop and there's some interesting recipes there.

My Bohemian Pilsner went into a second keg after 8 weeks lagering. Hope to sample it this weekend.

codhand

i'm fine with merging the two threads, since there isnt much activity and it's interesting for the non brewer to see and read too.

Jarnet87

Love Two Hearted. Two Hearted or Dales Pale Ale are my usual go to IPA.

HiResDes

gandhi bot. always got more of that i can share, though next time i'd prolly send a mini growler right from the brewery. i'm in Indy this weekend, but when i get back i'll send smth out and pm you.

I'd be very much hyped on that, though I don't have many exciting things to trade. Many of the best breweries are in total Oktoberfest and Pumpkin mode arond here. I love Oktoberfest, but I get bored around this time, my favorite brewery put out this boring Pumpkin beer that all of the locals are still stanning - http://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/31093/129349/

...Don't know how it has that high of a rating, it doesn't do anything special.

I try to post there, but have slowed down my drinking to weekends only, which means a 5 gal keg lasts me ages.

Actually thinking about switching to brewing some 1 gal batches. Picked up the book 'make more beer' from Brooklyn Beer Shop and there's some interesting recipes there.

My Bohemian Pilsner went into a second keg after 8 weeks lagering. Hope to sample it this weekend.
That's partly why I like to brew lighter gravity stuff. I don't feel bad about having one when the mood strikes me. It's been almost a year since I've brewed anything over 5% ABV.

Jarlaxle

Enjoying some Saranac Pumpkin Ale tonight. Other than Pumking (and by extension Warlock), and Fat Jack I think this is probably my favorite Pumpkin Ale.

Good turnout for the Zwanze Day event in Melbourne (just got home, it's not a simultaneous thing here due to time differences). It's a pretty nice beer, though not as crazy as the spontaneously fermented stout would've been. I did see that at the brewery last year, but apparently it's not ready yet.

I wonder if I have time to try a legit lambic before spring is over (have neither a barrel nor staves though). I already have a beer which was the second runnings of a Belgian strong dark and spontaneously fermented aging away, though I think it's a bit rough.

Also brewed a golden ale earlier today, so twas a pretty beery day.

HiResDes

Enjoying some Saranac Pumpkin Ale tonight. Other than Pumking (and by extension Warlock), and Fat Jack I think this is probably my favorite Pumpkin Ale.

This year Pumking ain't all that to me, I'd rank the top three as follows:

1. Fat Head - Spooky Tooth Imperial
2. Weyerbach - Imperial Pumpkin
3. Schlafly - Pumpkin Ale

...I'm sure if I could try Night Owl by Elysian that would be my favorite though

Cr0wn0

Have the sour's from New Belgium been off for anyone else? La Folie was very different and missing the tartness for me this year. I picked up a few Le Terrior's this week and its the same thing. Terrior doesn't even really taste all that sour. These were some of my favorite beers over the years and they are underwhelming now for some unknown reason.

Mikeller Invasion IPA with brett was delicious tough. Definitely pick one up if you still can.

Have the sour's from New Belgium been off for anyone else? La Folie was very different and missing the tartness for me this year. I picked up a few Le Terrior's this week and its the same thing. Terrior doesn't even really taste all that sour. These were some of my favorite beers over the years and they are underwhelming now for some unknown reason.
Only one I've had this year is the La Folie but I wasn't too impressed either. Definitely did seem underwhelming compared to previous years.

HiResDes

I had the worst Trippel ever last night. I don't know if my six-pack was stored incorrectly or what, but New Belgium's Trippel was horrific. It tasted like a funky fig doused in rubbing alcohol and it made me question everything. It's pretty highly rated on BA, how I can't even fathom.

The 2014 fresh hops are out in the PNW. So far I've had Breakside's Simcoe IPA and Stoup's Fresh Hop Pale (Cascade). Breakside's Simcoe is amazing.

Fremont's three (!!!!!) fresh hops should hit this week. Standard Cowiche Canyon, Cowiche Canyon with organic Mosaic and a fresh hop version of Interurban with Citra. So psyched.

Fremont said:
Fremomt Cowiche Canyon Fresh Hop will be the usual recipe with Organic Citra and Simcoe from the farm and we will do another two versions: one will be the normal fresh hop with 1/3 Mosaic hops from the canyon and another all fresh hop Citra version of Interurban...so, three versions this year.

The regular fresh hop will be canned (finally enough volume to can), the 1/3 Citra, Simcoe, Mosaic (worlds only organic Mosaic hops) will be bottled and the Citra Interurban will be only draft. Whew.

I had the worst Trippel ever last night. I don't know if my six-pack was stored incorrectly or what, but New Belgium's Trippel was horrific. It tasted like a funky fig doused in rubbing alcohol and it made me question everything. It's pretty highly rated on BA, how I can't even fathom.

I had a bad Tripel last night as well. Dark Horse Sapient Trip. It just tasted like a more bitter pilsner. Bleh.

pablito

Had Green Flash's triple IPA today. I didn't even know they had one.

Incredibly disappointed, and definitely my least favorite triple IPA so far. Quite possibly one of my least favorite IPAs period. I'm not sure what that main flavor is, but if you ever have it you'll know what I'm talking about. I split a 4 pack with my friend, and I didn't even want my second one.

Green Flash ever since the logo/recipe changes have been pretty disappointing. They're still good, but I feel they're a shadow of their former selves.

Had Green Flash's triple IPA today. I didn't even know they had one.

Incredibly disappointed, and definitely my least favorite triple IPA so far. Quite possibly one of my least favorite IPAs period. I'm not sure what that main flavor is, but if you ever have it you'll know what I'm talking about. I split a 4 pack with my friend, and I didn't even want my second one.

Green Flash ever since the logo/recipe changes have been pretty disappointing. They're still good, but I feel they're a shadow of their former selves.

Green Bullet? I can't say I've bought a Green Flash beer in a while, West Coast IPA is a bit overpriced and Green Bullet/Road Warrior seem too much for me. I do like their Double Stout and RIP Rayon Vert ;_;

That said, they've been doing a great job contract brewing Alpine. Haven't had the original Nelson or Duet so I don't know how well they actually compare but they were damn delicious, almost wish they'd ignore their own beers and ramp up production on those!

Schlafly pumpkin ale is really good. Like up until I had it this weekend I thought pumpkin beers were just a novelty that came and went with the season.

Milchjon

I may have mentioned it before, but the store I work at is part of a brewery.

In a few days our store staff will get the chance to brew a limited beer with one of our brewmasters.

Although I assume I will spend most of the time standing in the brewer's way, I'm way excited.

pablito

Green Bullet? I can't say I've bought a Green Flash beer in a while, West Coast IPA is a bit overpriced and Green Bullet/Road Warrior seem too much for me. I do like their Double Stout and RIP Rayon Vert ;_;

That said, they've been doing a great job contract brewing Alpine. Haven't had the original Nelson or Duet so I don't know how well they actually compare but they were damn delicious, almost wish they'd ignore their own beers and ramp up production on those!

Green Bullet, yep. If I see any Alpine brews done by Green Flash I'll definitely check them out. Alpine is one of the favorite breweries of my favorite brewer, and I can't get them in Norcal.

edit: It looks like I could find some Alpine on draft in Sacramento. Time to explore!

overcast

This year Pumking ain't all that to me, I'd rank the top three as follows:

1. Fat Head - Spooky Tooth Imperial
2. Weyerbach - Imperial Pumpkin
3. Schlafly - Pumpkin Ale

...I'm sure if I could try Night Owl by Elysian that would be my favorite though
I'm jealous as it seems you guys have more options in other places. I can't find many of these pumpkin beers here in Cali?

I grabbed a four pack of Green Flash' West Coast IPA. I liked it when I had it off the tap.

codhand

almost all pumpkin beers are using canned pumpkin, which ads little to no flavor and then dumping in a bunch of spices to approximate the taste of pumpkin pie.

HiResDes

theyre the Run-Dmc of craft beer.

in their time, they ruled the roost. since induction into the craft beer hall of fame, they are still respected, but no one is checking them for new stuff.

They lost their allure when they started to focus all of their time on gimmicky Southern Tier esque beer flavors. Of course they still have their staples like Shakespeare Stout, Double Chocolate Stout, etc...But even Dead Guy Ale I feel is kind of old hat and entry-level

overcast

Lagunitas and Bear Republic are probably my favorite companies thus far in my very limited legal experience. Fucking love Sculpin too.

Top Bottom