• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Beer |OT|

Besides Racer 5 and Big Bear Black Stout, I couldn't name another Bear Republic brew.

Hop Rod Rye is fantastic, one of the better rye IPAs out there. They have a couple other assorted pale ales and a red ale but I never really seek those out. I really wish they'd bottle Tartare already. Racer 5 is still one of my favorite IPAs, though. Probably the second or third one I ever tried and I still love it just as much.

I was never too impressed with Rogue but they make a few decent beers. I haven't bought any of their beer in ages, though, thanks to their lovely combination of gimmicks, inflated prices, and abysmal treatment of employees.

Milchjon

czxiNLl.jpg

Got lucky today.

At Liquor Barn after work, and spot that among all the Old Stock 2014 packs they had one case of Old Stock 2013. Nice find, and enjoying it right now.
That is an awesome find. Old Stock is on my list of extremely underrated beers that are awesome to cellar. Now I need to forget about what I have in the bottom of the keeper again...

Seth C

Moved that wild hopped ale to keg. Going to dry hop it for 3 days then carbonate it. Should be drinking it by the weekend!

(it smelled delicious already).

Got the results from my DIPA sample back. The yeast I used went crazy on attenuation, hit 87%, which put me well over the target ABV. It's a very dry IPA and 9.22% alcohol.

Socreges

Banned
BC is so hurting when it comes to wet hopped IPAs. Driftwood has Sartori Harvest (which is amazing - I bought a few bottles), but otherwise there are only a couple more breweries that try and they don't really put the same effort in.

BC is so hurting when it comes to wet hopped IPAs. Driftwood has Sartori Harvest (which is amazing - I bought a few bottles), but otherwise there are only a couple more breweries that try and they don't really put the same effort in.

Are there hop farms in BC? I'm surprised you guys aren't taking part in fresh hop madness like the rest of Cascadia.

belvedere

Junior Butler
Moved that wild hopped ale to keg. Going to dry hop it for 3 days then carbonate it. Should be drinking it by the weekend!

(it smelled delicious already).

Got the results from my DIPA sample back. The yeast I used went crazy on attenuation, hit 87%, which put me well over the target ABV. It's a very dry IPA and 9.22% alcohol.

I had similar results recently with my biere de garde from a few weeks back. Attenuation was 87-88%. The yeast strain I used was slow but vigilant and instead of my 7% target I'm at just over 8%. The sample tasted great though.

Chris R

Seasonal review time!!!!

New Belgium Pumpkick: Solid B beer, nice pumpkin flavor, not too sweet either.

Alaskan Pumpkin Porter: So fucking good. Not really pumpkiny, but the other spices and brown sugar notes make up for it! Also, somewhat stronger than it's 7.0% makes it seem like it should be.

I just heard about session IPAs for the first time and am interested in trying some out. I like the idea of low alcohol beer that tastes good. That means I can drink more of it!

I'm kind of limited in what's available as I live in Japan, but I know Stone Go To and Lagunitas DayTime is around. There's also some Japanese sessions like Coedo that I want to try.

What so you guys think about session IPAs?

I just heard about session IPAs for the first time and am interested in trying some out. I like the idea of low alcohol beer that tastes good. That means I can drink more of it!

I'm kind of limited in what's available as I live in Japan, but I know Stone Go To and Lagunitas DayTime is around. There's also some Japanese sessions like Coedo that I want to try.

What so you guys think about session IPAs?

I liked them when they were called Pale Ale.

But seriously, Baird makes one, too. I had it at Craft Beer Base in Osaka.

Davedough

Tank 7 is fucking amazing.

I grabbed these last night:

http://abload.de/img/t2014-09-25_153537w2iw2.jpg[IMG]

Now I just need the weekend to hit.[/QUOTE]

Saisons are quickly becoming my favorite style. I've brewed a couple... one turned out meh and the other was pretty amazing. I'm gonna have to look for that Smokestack Series one.

I liked them when they were called Pale Ale.

But seriously, Baird makes one, too. I had it at Craft Beer Base in Osaka.
Haha, yeah, it does just sound like a hoppy pale ale, but I want to give them a shot :). I'll check out the Baird if I can find it. I just went to the closest liquor store that stocks craft beer thinking they might have the Stone or at least the Coedo, but no luck. The Coedo might be draft only, I'm not sure.

Currently visiting northern California, hopefully I'll visit Cellarmaker and The Rare Barrel this weekend.

In the meantime, I've had some fantastic beers. Had a Cantillon St. Gilloise and a Prairie Cherry Funk a couple days ago, and today I had a Faction Summer IPA and two pints of Moonlight Death and Taxes (which is never enough). The Faction Summer IPA was incredible. I got the last pint before it kicked, sadly, but it had Galaxy, Citra, and Nelson hops and was insanely balanced. Faction's just been killing it, wish they'd bottle already.

KingGondo

Banned
Saisons are quickly becoming my favorite style. I've brewed a couple... one turned out meh and the other was pretty amazing. I'm gonna have to look for that Smokestack Series one.
Boulevard's Saison-Brett is one of my all-time favorites.

Look for a bottle of the 2013 as well. It has a stronger Brett character and I prefer it (although both are great).

Shit. Now I need to grab a bottle for the weekend.

Milchjon

Seems like pretty much every single German craft brewery is doing a single hop beer this year. Looking forward to the results.

Also, the brew day at our brewery went well. Got a small batch (240 litres) of barleywine going. For some reason our scale went haywire, and we measured out quite a bit too much hops. Put it in anyways, and I'm sure no one will complain. I know I won't :-D

pablito

Currently visiting northern California, hopefully I'll visit Cellarmaker and The Rare Barrel this weekend.

Not sure if you're still in Norcal, but if you pass by Sacramento, I definitely recommend Device Brewery. My favorite.

Going to hunt down some Enjoy By. Either it wasn't distributed to my area since July, or people have been scooping those up with the quickness.

Jarnet87

My local World of Beer had an event with Funky Buddha this past week. I finally got to try their No Crust Ale. It's a PB&J Brown Ale, thought it was very good. I'm not huge into Brown Ales normally but this was very smooth, had a nice full mouth feel. smelled terrific and had a nice subtle peanut butter flavor. Also got to try their Muy Bonita Brown Ale which is like an apple pie brown ale. smelled and tasted like apples and cinnamon.

They are doing an event some time in October with Cigar City, they are gonna have Marshall Zhukov there so I have to check it out. Also saw Founders Breakfast Stout at Total Wine, must of come in this week.

Linius

Drinking a Punk IPA form Brewdog for the first time now. My supermarket was stocking it all of a sudden. That tastes pretty good :D

RELAYER

Banned
Damn, reading this thread makes me jealous. Tired of living in the beer ghetto known as Oklahoma.

Pumpkin beers in stock at my liquor store -

Sam Adams Pumpkin Ale
Shipyard PumpkinHead Ale
Southhampton Pumpkin Ale
Sea Dog Pumpkin

Fuck

Decado

Anyone know a good rule of thumb for the amount of carbs in the different styles of beer? I know I can find it easily for Budweiser and other macro beers I don't drink, but if I want to get an idea of what the line of Lagunitas or abbey ales have, it seems trickier.

What I may be looking at in an Imperial IPA, or Quad or Tripel etc. I'm trying to decide whether my love for beer is compatible with a LCHF (kito) diet. Obviously I can't drink much, but even if I can have 1 per day and maybe 2 or 3 on a Saturday without making the diet useless, I'm game as that is what I usually drink.

Anyone know a good rule of thumb for the amount of carbs in the different styles of beer? I know I can find it easily for Budweiser and other macro beers I don't drink, but if I want to get an idea of what the line of Lagunitas or abbey ales have, it seems trickier.

What I may be looking at in an Imperial IPA, or Quad or Tripel etc. I'm trying to decide whether my love for beer is compatible with a LCHF (kito) diet. Obviously I can't drink much, but even if I can have 1 per day and maybe 2 or 3 on a Saturday without making the diet useless, I'm game as that is what I usually drink.

You would have to know the final gravity of the beer to calculate carbs, excluding alcohol completely, a 9% beer that finishes relatively dry (1.080-1.012, something like a big IPA) will have ~20g Carbs. Running through the software on my computer, you are generally looking at between 15 and 25g per 12oz.

Decado

You would have to know the final gravity of the beer to calculate carbs, excluding alcohol completely, a 9% beer that finishes relatively dry (1.080-1.012, something like a big IPA) will have ~20g Carbs. Running through the software on my computer, you are generally looking at between 15 and 25g per 12oz.

Yeah, that's the thing...I can't tell if the nutritional info I'm finding re: carbs includes alcohol. Some are really high, like 30 grams per 12 oz. I don't want that to be the case! lol

Yeah, that's the thing...I can't tell if the nutritional info I'm finding re: carbs includes alcohol. Some are really high, like 30 grams per 12 oz. I don't want that to be the case! lol

So using degree Plato, a finished beer should be between around 2-3 degree plato (~1.008-1.012). degree plato is percentage sugar per unit weight, so 3 degree plato is 3 grams sugar in 97 grams water. Using this, 12 oz of a 3 deg Plato water solution would contain 10.62 grams of sugar. Now, with beer, you have to add alcohol, which can lower the final gravity below 1.000 (pure water), you need to account for the fact that just because a beer might finish at 3 Plato, it is probably 4-5% sugar, depending on the alcohol, which would be in the 15-25g per 12 oz range of just sugar. Then, if you want to get into kcal, you need to add alcohol on top of that, which gets into much more complicated and slightly controversial biochemistry and metabolism questions.

Decado

So using degree Plato, a finished beer should be between around 2-3 degree plato (~1.008-1.012). degree plato is percentage sugar per unit weight, so 3 degree plato is 3 grams sugar in 97 grams water. Using this, 12 oz of a 3 deg Plato water solution would contain 10.62 grams of sugar. Now, with beer, you have to add alcohol, which can lower the final gravity below 1.000 (pure water), you need to account for the fact that just because a beer might finish at 3 Plato, it is probably 4-5% sugar, depending on the alcohol, which would be in the 15-25g per 12 oz range of just sugar. Then, if you want to get into kcal, you need to add alcohol on top of that, which gets into much more complicated and slightly controversial biochemistry and metabolism questions.

Well, I won't be able to calculate it on my own. So does the nutrition info (carb count) I find for beers includes alcohol in total carbs or exclude it?

On a side note, I've put a bottle of Westvleteren 12 in the fridge to cool a bit. Can't wait. My first one.

Finally made it out to The Rare Barrel today. Pretty impressed, beautiful space and a great tasting room. Some really good sours from what I tasted, nothing mindblowing in terms of American wild ales but very solid.

I had:

Map of the Sun - sour apricot beer, definitely the best beer I had there. I haven't had Fou Foune or West Ashley but this was the best apricot beer I've had, super tart but the apricot came through beautifully.

Forces Unseen - great golden sour blend, like a more intense Petrus Pale

Hypnotized - not huge on red sours normally but this was pretty good, lots of oak and raspberry from the previous contents of the barrel

Sourtooth Tiger - sour with ginger, the ginger was a bit overwhelming to the point it ended up tasting like sour ginger ale but that's not a bad thing, very refreshing. This was the only bottle on sale to the public this week and I didn't want to spend 20 bucks on it but I enjoyed my pour.

They had some guest taps so I finally got to try Societe's The Pupil. My palate was a bit fried from the sours but it was still a fantastic IPA.

Seth C

Surely you had a sip. How'd it taste?

I didn't try it before, but I did today. I'll be honest, it isn't great. I shouldn't have also dry-hopped it, because the flavor of those hops just don't compliment quite that level of hoppiness. Definitely grassy in not the best way possible. Sort of tastes like someone tried to make a double PBR (and why would you do that?) But, the temperature on that keg hasn't quite fallen to where I'd want to serve it anyway, and some of the hop character will fade. Could at least be an okay beer in a week or two.

I'd recommend using them in a pilsner or light lager and not try to make an ale with them.

I didn't try it before, but I did today. I'll be honest, it isn't great. I shouldn't have also dry-hopped it, because the flavor of those hops just don't compliment quite that level of hoppiness. Definitely grassy in not the best way possible. Sort of tastes like someone tried to make a double PBR (and why would you do that?) But, the temperature on that keg hasn't quite fallen to where I'd want to serve it anyway, and some of the hop character will fade. Could at least be an okay beer in a week or two.

I'd recommend using them in a pilsner or light lager and not try to make an ale with them.
That's a little disappointing. That it's reminiscent of PBR is interesting, since I picked them like half a mile from the old PBR brewery.

Oh well. Perhaps they're just not well suited on their own. Maybe better in combination with another hop or two. I've got enough to play around with.

Thanks for having a crack at it. Maybe when it tames a bit, you could send me a couple of bottles.

Top Bottom