• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Beer |OT|

Linius

AH suddenly got the memo and stocks Punk IPA and this. Good development, still a lot of people oblivious to the fact that there's to more to beer then the regular stuff from the big local breweries and the Belgians. More and more local AH's are also stocking local stuff, like Jopen in Haarlem, IJ in Amsterdam, etc. Too bad the price is pretty high, €2,60 for a Punk IPA with speciality stores charging €2 seems weird.

Bought this pretty much for the novelty factor of it coming in a can:

https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3931/15258808508_19be92292a.jpg[/IM][/QUOTE]

Yeah, I'm glad they're doing this now. Kind of a bummer we don't really have a good liquor store in Almere. There used to be a Mitra but business was bad for them so they closed it. And the Gall & Gall are all in store shops at Albert Heijn's. So they're small and they hardly stock any beers. They do have a broad selection on their website but that's gonna be more expensive adding the shipping costs :/

Any webshops to recommend maybe by the way? One that sells more than just Belgian beers, I like this IPA stuff.

Okay, so I can confidently recommend that nobody bother with Peoria Brewing Company. Tried all four beers they currently have on offer and they're all awful. Thin, mostly flavorless, frequently astringent.

I appreciate their enthusiasm, but I'd feel bad about giving away those beers, let alone selling them. I have to assume it's them having problems moving up from homebrew scales to a 20-barrel system. Maybe I'll have a look into them in a few months when they've got their shit together, but right now, terrible.

Lotto

Were Good and Bad Boy still on?

Yep, had those as part of my flight. Good was an interesting barleywine ale but I'm not that big of a fan of barleywine to begin with; felt really syrupy. Bad Boy was great; a pretty solid DIPA, really heavy hops, dank goodness. They also had Ichabod rotating which was fantastic compared to a lot of other pumpkin beer I've tried (which is admittedly not much.) I didn't see Exponential Hoppiness there though, wanted to try that one. In the end, I just find myself going back to Nelson though, too good!

PG2G

Yep, had those as part of my flight. Good was an interesting barleywine ale but I'm not that big of a fan of barleywine to begin with; felt really syrupy. Bad Boy was great; a pretty solid DIPA, really heavy hops, dank goodness. They also had Ichabod rotating which was fantastic compared to a lot of other pumpkin beer I've tried (which is admittedly not much.) I didn't see Exponential Hoppiness there though, wanted to try that one. In the end, I just find myself going back to Nelson though, too good!

Nice, I guess Bad Boy took Expo's place now that the pickup window is over. I'll have to make it over there to try Ichabod. Gotta head down to Modern Times next week to pick up Monster's Park bottles

Zona

8fe84025b59fec60547909108f4a2835.jpg

Just picked this up and look forward to trying it.

Any recommendations for good east coast beers? Preferably ones I can get on Long Island. I'm the only person in my circle of acquaintances who likes beer enough to seek out new ones so I have no one to guide me. Rating sites that I've found seem to use even less of the scale then gaming sites. Just no IPA's, I'm more tired of them then I can describe.

Rei_Toei

Fclvat sbe Pnanqn, ru?
Yeah, I'm glad they're doing this now. Kind of a bummer we don't really have a good liquor store in Almere. There used to be a Mitra but business was bad for them so they closed it. And the Gall & Gall are all in store shops at Albert Heijn's. So they're small and they hardly stock any beers. They do have a broad selection on their website but that's gonna be more expensive adding the shipping costs :/

Any webshops to recommend maybe by the way? One that sells more than just Belgian beers, I like this IPA stuff.

A shop that has pretty much unbeatable prices is Drankdozijn.nl. However, their selection is limited, mostly Belgian, and (almost) entirely 75cl bottles. But if you know what you like and/or team up with some friends, they send you boxes free of charge when you order 12 bottles (hence the name). They carry Saison Dupont for example for €3,75 the bottle, that's dirt cheap for a great beer. Other webshops I've usually ordered to pick up in their store since shipping costs can be pretty high and there's always the risk of stuff breaking. I've got good experiences with 't Fust and Sterk Amsterdam (both in Amsterdam) and Drankvat in Utrecht (does free shipping within the city). I'd recommend both 't Fust and SA over de Bierkoning in Amsterdam, actually. Bierkoning has an amazing selection, but you pay for the location of their shop.

Linius

A shop that has pretty much unbeatable prices is Drankdozijn.nl. However, their selection is limited, mostly Belgian, and (almost) entirely 75cl bottles. But if you know what you like and/or team up with some friends, they send you boxes free of charge when you order 12 bottles (hence the name). They carry Saison Dupont for example for €3,75 the bottle, that's dirt cheap for a great beer. Other webshops I've usually ordered to pick up in their store since shipping costs can be pretty high and there's always the risk of stuff breaking. I've got good experiences with 't Fust and Sterk Amsterdam (both in Amsterdam) and Drankvat in Utrecht (does free shipping within the city). I'd recommend both 't Fust and SA over de Bierkoning in Amsterdam, actually. Bierkoning has an amazing selection, but you pay for the location of their shop.

Guess I'll visit either of those Amsterdam shops then next time I'm in the city. They both have quite the selection. Sterk seems to have a more worldwide variety with their American and Australian brands. Sweet! Any beer tips are welcome too by the way. I usually just buy whatever :p

8fe84025b59fec60547909108f4a2835.jpg

Just picked this up and look forward to trying it.

Any recommendations for good east coast beers? Preferably ones I can get on Long Island. I'm the only person in my circle of acquaintances who likes beer enough to seek out new ones so I have no one to guide me. Rating sites that I've found seem to use even less of the scale then gaming sites. Just no IPA's, I'm more tired of them then I can describe.

I have that same glass! Good beer too (especially at that price). Looking at http://www.seekabrew.com/distro/index.html you have some good East Coast stuff to choose from. Allagash, Captain Lawrence, Cigar City (if you're lucky), Jack's Abby, Maine Brewing Co., Pretty Things, Thomas Hooker. Non-EC stuff: AleSmith, Crooked Stave, Dark Horse, Elysian, Firestone Walker, Hair of the Dog, Kuhnhenn, Lagunitas, Prairie, Bruery, Uinta. Just depends on what style you're looking for too.

Zona

I have that same glass! Good beer too (especially at that price). Looking at http://www.seekabrew.com/distro/index.html you have some good East Coast stuff to choose from. Allagash, Captain Lawrence, Cigar City (if you're lucky), Jack's Abby, Maine Brewing Co., Pretty Things, Thomas Hooker. Non-EC stuff: AleSmith, Crooked Stave, Dark Horse, Elysian, Firestone Walker, Hair of the Dog, Kuhnhenn, Lagunitas, Prairie, Bruery, Uinta. Just depends on what style you're looking for too.
Thanks! Also that's not my glass. I was too lazy to pull it out of the fridge and take a picture so that's from Google. Heh

Those of you who were in Denver this past weekend, did you have fun??

I know that I did at What the Funk (WTF), Freshcraft, Euclid Hall, and various brew events around town on Friday. GABF week has turned into so much more than just GABF. Next year, my guild is talking about only hitting up the various tappings and tap take overs instead of hitting any of the beer festivals.

With that said, Thursday night was completely bonkers. Same as last year, Ale Apothecary's beer was my overall favorite at WTF. I also enjoyed talking about "accidentally" having beard hair fall into barrels with the brewers from Destihl Brewery. Those guys make some quality, funky beers! Finally, I scheduled a morning to hangout with the cellar master at Cascade when I visit Portland this Winter Break. The best part of WTF was that most people (myself included) were NOT severely drunk when they left the event. I only heard two glasses break throughout the four hours of the festival (in that amount of time @ the brewers session I would have heard easily 15-20 glasses break (of course the members session is much larger)).

Rei_Toei

Fclvat sbe Pnanqn, ru?
Guess I'll visit either of those Amsterdam shops then next time I'm in the city. They both have quite the selection. Sterk seems to have a more worldwide variety with their American and Australian brands. Sweet! Any beer tips are welcome too by the way. I usually just buy whatever :p

From NL breweries you could try 't Uiltje, they have a nice IPA and DIPA. 't IJ IPA is solid stuff too. Rooie Dop's Chica Americana is a nice IPA too. De Molen is hit and miss, Emelisse has good stuff but usually pricey. Witte Leeuws Amarillo Sun was one of the best beers I had this year, look past the superfugly label :). Kompaan has nice beers too.

The started kinda shitty. So I check the website for Mellow Mushroom in Bowling Green, KY and it shows as of 7/31 they have Mokah on tap. Seems old, but worth a shot and would make my day better.

I drive there, and no Mokah. But what do I see on tap? W00tstout 2.0! I gave up all hope. What else is there on tap? KBS!? St. bernardus abt 12? World Wide Stout? Praire Bomb!?

I must force my wife to drive me here soon. I am in heaven now.

EDIT: The tap list. I really need to coerce my wife into driving me here soon.

Milchjon

Wasted a bunch of money on underwhelming beer today :-(

But man, there's nothing more attractive than girls who are seriously into beer.

Finishing off the Three Philosophers Cellar Set tonight. Been having one bottle per night, and my feelings on it were much like the video posted earlier.

The 2011 was more bitter than usual, and more boozy tasting. The 2012 was a bit sweeter, but still pretty strong. The 2013 definitely is more flavorful with the fruit than the older ones, and the best of the pack.

While I liked the older bottles, I prefer the newer ones for the stronger fruit flavor. It was a yummy experiment either way.

Seth C

I'm enjoying a Smuttynose Robust Porter right now. So damn good.

Robust porter! That's what I've got fermenting right now actually. Think I'll put it on tap for my birthday October 14. May soak some vanilla in bourbon and add that for a little extra kick.

So I went ahead and brewed up a little half-gallon batch using those wild hops about ten days ago. Super simple 1.040-worth of Extra Light DME and about half an ounce of hops, dry, for like 30 minutes. I mostly was just making something to test out the gravity monitoring sensor I'm working on, but I figured I might as well get a taste of the hops, too. Kill two birds, right?

Went ahead and bottled it up today. These hops are definitely old school. The little bit I tasted strongly reminds of an American lager. Moderately bitter, a little grassy, very mildly floral.

Certainly not something you'd go heavy on for an IPA, but Seth, you're on the right track about a nice mild blonde, I think. I've got ten pounds of Otter sitting here and I think I can put together something palatable. And I'll probably pass some along to another brewer buddy of mine to try in a pilsner or something as well.

In other news, my watermelon berliner was a pretty gigantic hit. It's now gone two weeks later. Fastest I've ever drained a keg. I'm gonna try to knock out one more batch of it. Hopefully, the watermelon I found the other day isn't too far out of season.

Drpunch

Neo Member
Finally Ten Fidy is available in Canada. Been wanting to try it for awhile now. Solid imperial stout. Doesn't compare to the Westy 12 I aged for 2 years though...

Finally Ten Fidy is available in Canada. Been wanting to try it for awhile now. Solid imperial stout. Doesn't compare to the Westy 12 I aged for 2 years though...

Doesn't seem like the fairest comparison lol but yeah Ten Fidy is very solid. I rarely shell out for a four-pack of it when I can get Narwhal or Old Rasputin instead but it has a pretty amazing mouthfeel.

Finally got my hands on a Sierra Nevada Fall Pack. Drinking a Tumbler right now, god I missed it so much. Only brown ale I've ever loved and I don't want it to ever leave. The oktoberfest and Vienna lager are delicious, too.

Also picked up an Oude Geuze Boon from Whole Foods during their 20% off sale in NorCal. Came out to less than ten dollars for a 750 and I was really impressed, especially for the price. Not as good as their own Marriage Parfait or Tilquin but this was much better than Cuvee Rene and even Hanssens and Beersel's standard stuff.

Drpunch

Neo Member
Doesn't seem like the fairest comparison lol but yeah Ten Fidy is very solid. I rarely shell out for a four-pack of it when I can get Narwhal or Old Rasputin instead but it has a pretty amazing mouthfeel.

Finally got my hands on a Sierra Nevada Fall Pack. Drinking a Tumbler right now, god I missed it so much. Only brown ale I've ever loved and I don't want it to ever leave. The oktoberfest and Vienna lager are delicious, too.

Also picked up an Oude Geuze Boon from Whole Foods during their 20% off sale in NorCal. Came out to less than ten dollars for a 750 and I was really impressed, especially for the price. Not as good as their own Marriage Parfait or Tilquin but this was much better than Cuvee Rene and even Hanssens and Beersel's standard stuff.

We just got Old Rasputin up here too recently; Ten Tidy costs more but I enjoy both. Sierra Nevada is rumored(?) to come up to Canada so hopefully I can try Narwhal eventually. Stone is coming in about two weeks or so as well.

I also discovered I had three Westys instead of one somehow, looking for another occasion to drink the other one I have left...

t-ramp

Here are some of the beers that I have been drinking for the past couple of weeks:

Farm To Barrel - Heirloom Pumpkin

Founders Breakfast Stout

Stone's Xocoveza Mocha Stout
One of our distributors has been holding FBS hostage until stores can move some lingering Rubaeus, Double Trouble, and Devil Dancer from store shelves. Kind of irritating.

Xocoveza is supposed to arrive soon, though. Looking forward to trying some.

ShinAmano

Picked up some Avery

PumKYn
Rumpkin

So looking forward to these...the clerks were raving about them saying they are the best pumpkin beers period. That is a tall claim with Heavy Seas Greater Pumpkin out there. Cant wait to find out.

PG2G

Picked up some Avery

PumKYn
Rumpkin

So looking forward to these...the clerks were raving about them saying they are the best pumpkin beers period. That is a tall claim with Heavy Seas Greater Pumpkin out there. Cant wait to find out.

I really loved Rumpkin. Definitely has that 19% syrupy kind of taste though lol. Need to hunt them both down

ShinAmano

Yeah they guys said it poured like molasses. It was one bottle per person...kind of want to grab another pair and keep them for a year or so. :)

Heading to Brouwers tonight for Day One of Hop Fest. Mostly fresh hop beers, but a few that aren't.

10 Barrel The Boss Fresh Hop Harvest (5.5%) Bend
Amnesia Mother Plucker Amarillo Fresh Hop (5.4%)
Anthem Cider Co. Cascade Fresh Hop Cider (6.5%)
Backwoods Brewing Cenntenial Fresh Hop Pale Ale (6.5%)
Bainbridge Island Brewing Amarillo Fresh Hop (5.6%) Bainbridge Island.
Bale Breaker Piled High Imperial Fresh Hop (7.3%) Yakima
Bale Breaker/Elysian Citra Slicker Wet Hop IPA (6.0%) Yakima.
Ballast Point Schooner Wet Hop Pale (5.5%) San Diego
Ballast Point Grapefruit Sculpin IPA (7.0%) San Diego
Barley Brown’s Hop Truck Crossing Mosaic Fresh Hop IPA (8.2%)
Barley Brown’s Tankslapper IIPA (9.2%) Baker City
Black Raven Fresh Hop Saison (6.2%) Redmond.
Boneyard Notorious IIIPA (10.5%) Bend
Breakside Citralust Fresh Hop Wanderlust (6.4%)
Crux Fermentaion Crystal Zwickle Fresh Hop Belgian Pale (6.0%)
Deschutes Hop Trip Fresh Hop Pale (5.9%) Bend
Double Mountain Killer Red Fresh Hop Perle,Mosaic Cask (7.2%)
Elysian Brewing 50 Shades of Green Fresh Hop Mosaic Pale (6.0%) Seattle
Finnriver Fresh Hop Cider (6.0%) Chickamin
Fremont Cowiche Canyon #1 Simcoe and Citra(5.5%)
Fremont Cowiche Canyon #2 Simcoe, Citra and Mosaic (5.5%)
Fremont The Brother IIPA w/ Fresh Mosaic Hops & Oak Cask (8.5%) Seattle
Gigantic Sodbusted 2: Simcoe Boogaloo (5.6%) Portland
Heathen Simcoe Fresh Hop (6.0%) Vancouver
Holy Mountain Equinox Fresh Hop (5.0%) Seattle.
Icicle Brewing Bootjack IPA (6.5%) Leavenworth
Island Hoppin’ Ferry Rider Fresh Hop Pale Ale (5.5%) Orcas Island
Kulshan Cascade and Citra Wet Hop (6.0%) Bellingham
Laurelwood Fresh Hop Workhorse (7.5%) Portland
Logsdon Fresh Hop Seizoen (7.5%) Hood River (bottle pour)
New Belgium Le Terroir Dry-Hopped Sour (7.5%) Fort Collins
North Sound Amarillo and Citra Fresh Hop IPA (6.6%) Seattle
Oakshire Bout a Hundred Wet Hop Centennial (5.6%) Eugene
Old School House Ruud Awakening (8.5%) Winthrop
Perennial Artisan Ales IPA #9 (7.0%) St. Louis
pFriem Citra Fresh Hop (5.5%) Hood River
Port Brewing Hop-15 (10.0%) San Marcos
Reuben’s Brews Amarillo Rye Fresh Hop Pale (6.0%) Seattle
Schooner Exact Amarillo Fresh Hop (6.0%) Seattle
Triplehorn Fresh Hop Bjorn Kelm (8.8%) Woodinville
Victory Dirtwolf IIPA (8.7%) Downington

Psyched for the Barley Browns beers.

Milchjon

Uh, weird question:

How do some of you drink so much beer?

I mean, I'm only a student and I work at a brewery, and I already feel like I drink too much. Yet looking at Untappd, I seem to be going almost slow compared to some. And from what I can see, you guys still lead a successful grown up life.

Not judging btw, just curious.

Uh, weird question:

How do some of you drink so much beer?

I mean, I'm only a student and I work at a brewery, and I already feel like I drink too much. Yet looking at Untappd, I seem to be going almost slow compared to some. And from what I can see, you guys still lead a successful grown up life.

Not judging btw, just curious.
For me, I'm not necessarily drinking a full pint of everything I check in. For instance, if you go to a bar for a couple of beers, it's easy to sample another two or three on top of that. If I have enough of a beer to form an opinion on it, I'll go ahead and check it in.

I share beers with friends and do small pours or tasters sometimes. Last night I probably had three pints total.

I also eat healthy and run 15-20 miles a week to stay in good shape.

codhand

Southern Tier Sells Partial Stake to NYC Investment Firm
In addition to selling partial ownership, Southern Tier — which has become known for its wildly popular Pumking seasonal offering — has also hired former Pabst Brewing Company president and COO, John Coleman, as its new CEO. Prior to joining Pabst, Coleman spent more than 22 years as a vice president of sales with Anheuser-Busch InBev.

former Pabst's exec and an nyc investment firm, what could go wrong?

Top Bottom